PDA

View Full Version : Best Time to be an Nba lottery pick?

More-Than-Most
04-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Think about it right now... If you are a young player this year you have the chance to be drafted by 4 of the 5 biggest markets in basketball as a lottery pick... sixers/lakers/knicks/celtics.... This is actually pretty insane when you think about it.... Instantly the market value will sky rocket and over hype these players the second they are drafted

FlashBolt
04-09-2017, 08:24 PM
the reality is that while it does sound enticing, NBA is incredibly global right now. Players can go from city to city in hours and they have communication abilities that fill the void of market differences. There probably isn't much of a difference playing in Utah vs NY if you're a beast. I do think it's the best time to be an NBA player now just because players are having more power and earning potential. Let's just say if you're above average, you can earn $20 million plus. And that's crazy.

IndyRealist
04-09-2017, 08:35 PM
I think when it came out that certain players had incentives built into their shoe deals if they played in certain markets, people really soured on those brands. No one wants shoe companies dictating basketball moves. If those kinds of kickers are still around, no one talks about them.

If we're talking the top handful of players, they're going to get their endorsements no matter where they are.

Aust
04-10-2017, 01:01 AM
*Sixers twice. You guy's getting #4.

More-Than-Most
04-10-2017, 01:22 AM
*Sixers twice. You guy's getting #4.

Most of our fans hope so... I think its a double edged sword... There is such thing as too much young talent... If we draft 2 top 4 guys it takes minutes from saric/embiid/covington/simmons/TLC... We have insane amount of core pieces... If the pick wasnt going to be unprotected next year id want it... The lakers will still be a lottery team so id rather have 2 picks next year after we find out how good simmons/embiid/saric/TLC is without having to give 2 more guys minutes.

dhopisthename
04-10-2017, 01:28 AM
um the 5 biggest markets are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philly, and Dallas. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011/03/nba-market-size-numbers-game/
*note doesn't include Toronto which would be about 4th after Chicago.

And honestly after New York and Los Angeles the markets are so much smaller that its hard to say that they offer that much more of an advantage over other places.

More-Than-Most
04-10-2017, 01:35 AM
um the 5 biggest markets are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philly, and Dallas. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011/03/nba-market-size-numbers-game/

And honestly after New York and Los Angeles the markets are so much smaller that its hard to say that they offer that much more of an advantage over other places.

wow... celtics arent?

Hellcrooner
04-10-2017, 03:26 AM
nope.
the best time to be a lottery pick was the early 90s.

when teams could offer you absurd 10 year deals winning money like crazy right from the bat instead of being subjected to a rookie scale salary.

yep you guessed it right, they had to add the rookie scale salary because owners did sign some absurd contracts.

dhopisthename
04-10-2017, 12:13 PM
nope.
the best time to be a lottery pick was the early 90s.

when teams could offer you absurd 10 year deals winning money like crazy right from the bat instead of being subjected to a rookie scale salary.

yep you guessed it right, they had to add the rookie scale salary because owners did sign some absurd contracts.

nah since the rookie salary scale is about what the players were getting paid back then anyways. Then if you add in the fact that your 2nd contract today will be so much more then it was back then, today is a much better time to be in the NBA

warfelg
04-10-2017, 12:31 PM

It'll be interesting to see if LA and NYC ever become a true market split in any of the major sports.

C-ross12
04-10-2017, 12:49 PM
I think it is a good time to be a high lottery pick. If I were a top guy, I'd be interested in going to Boston, LA, Phoenix, Minny, Philly, and Dallas. I wouldn't be so hyped about New York or Orlando though. New York is so dysfunctional right now, from Dolan to Phil to Carmelo, I just think that wouldn't be beneficial to any ones NBA career right now. Orlando is another spot that doesn't seem to be primed to get better any time soon. Hennigan has pulled off some strange moves that haven't really panned out, and while they have a few good pieces (Gordon and Vucevic) they have some serious problems form Herzonja (Vastly under performing) and Payton (Who cant shoot).