View Full Version : MIP Picks

Scoots
04-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Most Improved Player:

For me:

1. Otto Porter
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo
3. Rudy Gobert

But really I could probably be convinced to put them in any order.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-06-2017, 09:53 PM
Harrison Barnes will finish top 3.

HandsOnTheWheel
04-06-2017, 10:02 PM
James Johnson anyone?

I've got Giannis

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Most Improved Player:

For me:

1. Otto Porter
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo
3. Rudy Gobert

But really I could probably be convinced to put them in any order.

Otto? Really? I agree he's seen a big jump in 3pt percentage, but Turner saw a bigger jump. I agree that this award seems too concerned with a scoring average jump, and Otto deserves some credit.

I mean... Turner had a bigger jump percentage wise.

Beal might have a better case.

But your other two picks are spot on. Giannis would get my vote because he's seen a jump, not just in terms of scoring average, but he's gone from a strong player, to a elite player.

Parker might follow closely. It's weird how those guys improved, but the team really didn't.

Gobert jump in percentage and scoring average

Good options in the list to.

Butler upped his 3pt shot, but he got more shots and more minutes, so his averages increased in large part because of that.

It's a tough call. Jokic saw improvement as well.

Not a strong case for Randle... he improved in some areas, took a step back in rebounding.

Great list. GReat thread.

tp13baby
04-06-2017, 11:28 PM
It's between Giannis and Jokic. Not sure why Butler, Beal, Randle, Porter, or Ingles are even an option. Butler and Beal were already top notch. Randle hasn't really took the next step. Ingles? Really? Hope Denver max's Otto but he didn't really take a huge step compared to the others.

Myles, love him, made progress but his progress isn't the same as Gobert, Jokic, Giannis, or Parker.

Parker got injured but he is deserving, but the injury probably discredits him.

The options above, Gobert, Jokic, and Giannis are the big 3 here. Giannis has elevated himself to the most valuable player under 22. Gobert has become the best defensive center in my opinion with great efficiency on the offensive end. He has always been known as a defensive center so some voters might turn away. And Jokic not even being top 3 is absolutely absurd. My guess completely it has to do with defense but if thats the case please count out Harden and Westbrook as your MVP leaders.

Booker, Barnes, Schroder are all way more deserving than the ones I mentioned earlier.

kobe4thewinbang
04-06-2017, 11:32 PM
He ain't gonna win, and I'm not sure how better he is this season, but I really like what John Wall has done this season. After that horrible season last year, he's really stepped up, squashed the beef with Beal, and has become more of a leader with his confidence. I would also say Kawhi Leonard has really embraced the new #1 guy in San Antonio thing this season.

IndyRealist
04-06-2017, 11:38 PM
I might give it to Jokic or Gobert, but Giannis improved just as much or more and has a ton of hype. The Greek Freak is gonna win it.

Scoots
04-07-2017, 12:43 AM
I should have included Barnes.

I picked Porter because he went from a okay/good starter to a very good starter where he got better in every part of his game, offense and defense, and in many cases significantly better, and the advancement of his game was a much bigger surprise to me than Giannis or Gobert.

FlashBolt
04-07-2017, 12:56 AM
the PER difference with Giannis is just impossible to ignore. it's a whooping 8.0 difference. That's insane. I mean, I kinda expected him to improve but not this soon. He's improved defensively and I can easily see him being one of the best defenders within a few years. I think Isaiah Thomas could easily be an option here, too.

mrblisterdundee
04-07-2017, 01:17 AM
Giannis Antetokounmpo and Nikola Jokic have the stats and the higher usage. I'm going with Rudy Gobert, the best rim protector in the NBA (without Joel Embiid).

Scoots
04-07-2017, 08:05 AM
There are so many to choose from this year there really are few wrong answers.

Otto Porter's usage dropped significantly this year and still all of his stats went up.

I take MIP to be an encouragement award so I don't want to give it to players who are already stars.