PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox (2-0) at Tigers (1-0)

RedSoxtober
04-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Pitching matchups TBD. Thanks to the rainout Thursday, the Red Sox are considering skipping Pomeranz on Sunday and throwing their top four starters against the Tigers.

RedSoxtober
04-06-2017, 06:13 PM
The first step in roster juggling came after the Sox’ 3-0 win over the Pirates Wednesday night, when travel arrangements were being made for Matt Barnes to attend his grandmother’s wake and funeral. Barnes was headed to the bereavement list, where he would be forced to miss a minimum of three games and a maximum of seven.

Thursday morning, just before the postponement of the series finale between the Red Sox and Pirates (with the make-up game slated for April 13), it was announced by the team that Noe Ramirez would be taking Barnes’ spot on the roster.

In an 11:20 a.m. conference call, John Farrell announced the roster tweaking wasn’t stopping there:

– Xander Bogaerts is joining Barnes on the bereavement list, with Marco Hernandez being called up to take the shortstop’s place. Brock Holt, who was unavailable Wednesday due to illness, is expected to be with the team as they head to Detroit for its four-game series. Bogaerts is slated to be available for Monday’s game against the Tigers.

– David Price repeated the same throwing routine that he executed Wednesday, which included work off a mound. The Thursday morning session did, however, incorporate further distance in his long-toss.

– Mookie Betts and Robbie Ross Jr., who were also both scratched from Wednesday night’s game because of sickness, are both expected to be ready to go for the series against the Tigers.weei.com

redsox12
04-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Off to a good start, loved Benny Baseball's HR. I won't feel good until I see how Price is, rooting for Wright to keep up the good work.

Soxtober040713
04-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Rain out is a blessing for our pitching. Holt gonna start at short while X is gone I hope. How short of a leash do we give panda? He's D looks improved but 2 errors already and what if Holt comes out blazing while Xman is out.

Green_Monster
04-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Weird lineup today.

Holt DH, Pedroia 2B, Benintendi LF, Moreland 1B, Young RF, Bradley Jr. CF, Leon C, Sandoval 3B, Hernandez SS, Wright RHP

Betts still out and Hanley a day off already?

Soxfan85
04-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Weird lineup today.

Holt DH, Pedroia 2B, Benintendi LF, Moreland 1B, Young RF, Bradley Jr. CF, Leon C, Sandoval 3B, Hernandez SS, Wright RHP

Betts still out and Hanley a day off already?

Hanley has the flu. It's going around the clubhouse.

Soxfan85
04-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Hanley has the flu. It's going around the clubhouse.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2017/04/07/hanley-ramirez-latest-flu-victim-for-red-sox/

Green_Monster
04-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Good news, we have the bases loaded with our clean-up hitter batting. Bad news, our cleanup hitter is Mitch Moreland.

AI
04-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Good news, we have the bases loaded with our clean-up hitter batting. Bad news, our cleanup hitter is Mitch Moreland.

Which baffles me considering that JBJ is a much better hitter.

I'm already tired of Moreland and Sandoval.

Green_Monster
04-07-2017, 02:17 PM
JBJ is better than Moreland and a couple other guys behind him are debatable as well. No idea why one of our worst batters is hitting clean-up.

Green_Monster
04-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Which baffles me considering that JBJ is a much better hitter.

I'm already tired of Moreland and Sandoval.

Yeah, I don't get the logic there.

Maybe Farrell doesn't want to move JBJ around the line-up too much? That's all I can think of and even that doesn't make much sense.

Green_Monster
04-07-2017, 02:37 PM
After a rough first inning, Wright is really settling in. Now we just have to hope Farrell doesn't pinch run him in a couple months and we should be okay.

Soxfan85
04-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Panda!!!

AI
04-07-2017, 04:05 PM
I see you Pablo, making me eat some tasty crow.

AI
04-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Anyone else think Hembree looks like Lackey and Andrew Miller had a baby?

Green_Monster
04-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Anyone else think Hembree looks like Lackey and Andrew Miller had a baby?

Yes, lol.

AI
04-07-2017, 04:44 PM
I see Farrell's bullpen management is already in midseason form.

Soxfan85
04-07-2017, 05:07 PM
@brianmacp

Tyler Thornburg is still building strength in his should but could start to throw Monday.

I noticed Herald eyeing June for Smith which is going to be huge

Soxtober040713
04-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Hembree is making him case to stuck around once the bullpen comes back to full strength. His location has been money so far. He's getting squeezed but if he stays there he will start getting those calls. I have 0 faith in Kelly. To erratic. obviously first man out once thornburg gets back is Taylor. But once smith gets back I say keep Scott and get rid of Kelly. I can't stand to watch him pitch any more. I still believe the bullpen will make or break our season.

Petertherock
04-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Yesterday's game sucked other than the come back and the Panda's blast but with all the people we have sick and injured I can deal with a couple losses until everyone gets healthy. I am just worried about what appears to be shaping up as a weak pen. Hopefully when Smith gets back that will help but we have to pull it together before June if we want to make it anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

papipapsmanny
04-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Yesterday's game sucked other than the come back and the Panda's blast but with all the people we have sick and injured I can deal with a couple losses until everyone gets healthy. I am just worried about what appears to be shaping up as a weak pen. Hopefully when Smith gets back that will help but we have to pull it together before June if we want to make it anywhere.

I'm not too worried. Thornburg and Smith will be coming at some point, Kelly I think should do well. I wish we kept Koji at the price he got. Even old, he offered a lot of stability.

The Allen
04-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Yikes. Edro might be our next Clay.

When he is on he is dominant, but boy when he gets touched everything goes south.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Soxfan85
04-08-2017, 05:09 PM
I know its early but I hope we hold onto Kyle Kendricks. He had a outstanding ST. If Erod or Drew continue to stink bring up Kyle

Green_Monster
04-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Yikes. Edro might be our next Clay.

When he is on he is dominant, but boy when he gets touched everything goes south.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Big run innings are a huge problem for him.

bagwell368
04-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I don't get the logic there.

Maybe Farrell doesn't want to move JBJ around the line-up too much? That's all I can think of and even that doesn't make much sense.

The logic is JBJ's splits show he is pathetic in the first 5 slots in the order. He's best at 9th and 6th.

Moreland is a lefty, which we are short of. He also demonstrated an ability in ST to go the other way. In Fenway that translates to lots of 2B's and an elevation in his batting stats. If he was a RHH then he'd be in he bottom 3rd.

bagwell368
04-10-2017, 07:00 AM
I see Farrell's bullpen management is already in midseason form.

yeah well....

I'm a little surprised at the early season optimism on pitchers coming back off injuries at times that are expected/hoped for. They are never a good bet, then again we have quite a few, so some of them will work out.

Green_Monster
04-10-2017, 10:41 AM
The logic is JBJ's splits show he is pathetic in the first 5 slots in the order. He's best at 9th and 6th.

Moreland is a lefty, which we are short of. He also demonstrated an ability in ST to go the other way. In Fenway that translates to lots of 2B's and an elevation in his batting stats. If he was a RHH then he'd be in he bottom 3rd.

He played a total of 4 games in which he batted 1-4 last year.

I said clean-up, and he's a better hitter than Moreland.

Petertherock
04-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Farrell lost this game for them. Left Sale in for 2 batters too long!

Pittz
04-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Farrell lost this game for them. Left Sale in for 2 batters too long!

I would argue the offense lost this game...

bosox1899
04-10-2017, 04:59 PM
I would argue the offense lost this game...

exactly. this offense is pathetic without Big Papi in there. Then again, we are missing Ramirez and Bogaerts. Betts and Benintendi are looking like minor leaguers right now on the offensive side.

Soxtober040713
04-10-2017, 10:12 PM
You realize we are only 6 games deep right? I'm not a huge Farrell supporter. But he has got to see what he can get out of these guys early before we can make calculated decisions. The offense will fix it self barring serious injurys. The whole team is fighting the flu at various levels. April and May are just 2 months of extended spring training. If we Are still facing these problems in June that's when we have to start to worry. Everything will be fine. Especially if Price is okay.

bagwell368
04-16-2017, 06:48 PM
He played a total of 4 games in which he batted 1-4 last year.

I said clean-up, and he's a better hitter than Moreland.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was talking career splits.

Moreland set the BRS record for most games with consecutive 2B's, and he wont slump as badly as JBJ either

RedSoxtober
04-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear. I was talking career splits.

Moreland set the BRS record for most games with consecutive 2B's, and he wont slump as badly as JBJ either

I'm not sure what to make of either one. JBJ has a total of 52 games batting in slots 1-5 which is not a big surprise for a guy who has two seasons worth of PA spread over four partial seasons in MLB, one of which was pretty much a bust. He finally had some success last year in a very different lineup where there was little question that he'd be in the lower half of the order. That said, he's proven to be streaky as hell. Moreland, on the other hand, doesn't really have a compelling dossier to bat fifth. The quick start to this season puts him on pace for only his second season with an OPS over .800, he doesn't walk much or work counts. 20HR power is not bad but his OBP barely qualifies as a good batting average. He doesn't really seem like great protection for the cleanup hitter... but his swing DOES play extremely well in Fenway.

I'm warming to Moreland but I don't really see a clear cut case for one being superior to the other in the five hole. I guess the one advantage that I could see to having Moreland bat fifth has more to do with the combination of Bogaerts and Bradley batting together in the lower half of the order... but that (Bogaerts at #6) is a who different can of worms.