PDA

View Full Version : T-Most 25 PPG scorers in NBA history (since 1975)

valade16
04-05-2017, 03:31 PM
So while looking up the Points Per Game leaders in the NBA this season I noticed there seemed to be a lot of players who scored a lot of points.

Currently, there are 12 players in the NBA who average 25+ PPG (Westy, Harden, IT, AD, DeRozan, Boogie, Lillard, Bron, Kawhi, KD, Curry, Kyrie) and Towns is at 24.8 PPG.

Going back through every season since 1975 I discovered the only other season in which there were 12 25+ PPG scorers was in 2007. In fact, outside 2006-2007 and 1988-1991 the league doesn't have more than 8 players who average 25 PPG in a given season.

Why is this happening this season? Are there more premium scorers in the NBA today? Are players just more efficient leading to more points?

Everyone talks about team basketball and how much more passing there is in today's NBA, but when it comes to putting the ball in the hoop, it seems teams this season are more likely to score their points with their top player.

Does that invalidate the notion that teams are more team-centered nowadays or pass more?

in short, what are your thoughts?

ewing
04-05-2017, 04:17 PM
not only are there more scorers there are less defenders

TheMightyHumph
04-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Three-point shooting

europagnpilgrim
04-05-2017, 04:30 PM
It has to be due to pace right? since that's all I hear about the past players crazy numbers

I would also throw in the awful defense outside of a couple teams(and a handful of players who actually try), effort wise is at a all time low

hand checking rule change really gave the offensive player the keys to shine bright, similar to the rules of helping the skill players in the nfl

Scoots
04-06-2017, 10:05 AM
More passing along with more pace than we've had in a while means more players score easier?

The Warriors and Cavs have 2 players on that list, and in 91, before the NBA pace dropped the Warriors had 3 scorers over 22 points per game ... so it's not new, it's just more widespread than in the recent past.

Scoots
04-06-2017, 10:08 AM
It has to be due to pace right? since that's all I hear about the past players crazy numbers

I would also throw in the awful defense outside of a couple teams(and a handful of players who actually try), effort wise is at a all time low

hand checking rule change really gave the offensive player the keys to shine bright, similar to the rules of helping the skill players in the nfl

The hand checking rule has been around for 13 years now ... I think the pace is the bigger part of it.

Scoots
04-06-2017, 10:23 AM
The lack of defense is maybe the result of the lack of fundamentals being taught at the one and done schools, and the majority of the players coming to the NBA at the top of the draft have been one and done players for quite a while now.

KnicksorBust
04-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I'm sure pace has played a key part in it but the obsession with offensive efficiency can't be ignored. Guys like Harden, Thomas, Curry (last year was just absurd), are all scoring at a high level while not using an obscene amount of possessions. A real study would be to compare the top 10 scoring leaders each season of the last decade and compare their TS% numbers. Most of the modern stars are models of offensive efficiency.