PDA

View Full Version : 10 years of Jordan or X years of...

valade16
04-05-2017, 02:31 PM
So to piggy-back off the "10 years of X or Y" threads I've seen I figured I'd do one on MJ.

So the question is simple: how many years would it take for other NBA superstars to play on your team before you'd take them over MJ for your team.

So assuming you could get MJ for 10 years, would you take Kareem for say 11 years over 10 years of MJ? Would you take KG for 15 years or MJ for 10? Would you take 20 years of Steve Nash or 10 of MJ?

In short, which superstars would you take over MJ and how many years guaranteed would they have to be on your team before you'd take them over a decade of His Airness?

GREATNESS ONE
04-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Magic Johnson for 20 years.

valade16
04-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Magic Johnson for 20 years.

Would you take 19 years of Magic Johnson or 10 years of MJ? Is that the least amount of time you'd take of Magic before you'd take MJ?

ombada
04-05-2017, 04:22 PM
10 years of MJ, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Russel, Chamberlain....etc i would take any of them for any amount of time.

ewing
04-05-2017, 04:25 PM
i don't have an answer. He was head and shoulders above a host of the guys that were all times greats for 10 years. Not like he was on average was better. Like Mike was better then everyone else just about all the all the the time. I don't know how to measure that against other guys.

KnicksorBust
04-05-2017, 05:07 PM
5 years of Carmelo

mrblisterdundee
04-05-2017, 06:57 PM
i don't have an answer. He was head and shoulders above a host of the guys that were all times greats for 10 years. Not like he was on average was better. Like Mike was better then everyone else just about all the all the the time. I don't know how to measure that against other guys.

LeBron.

More-Than-Most
04-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Id take 12 prime lebron years over 10 prime jordan years...... Id take 17 prime KG years over 10 prime Jordan years.... Nash is one of my favorite players ever but I wouldnt take 20 years of prime Nash over 10 years of prime jordan.... Id take 20 years of prime Magic over 10 years of prime Jordan.... I cant gauge Wilt

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-05-2017, 07:40 PM
5 years of Carmelo

He don't deserve it. Demanded a trade from Denver. Knicks got Chandler as free agent and they still slipped. Big market of New York should be rioting. Knicks been meh way back even with Ewing. Shows a big market cant handle a sport. So big markets don't matter. To this day I remember when Milwaukee Bucks Andrew Lag Broke Ewing's Wrist. People hype up markets well it was mainly Lakers back in the day. Now its a free for all. Markets mean nothing. All about the money and winning/or money.

IndyRealist
04-05-2017, 08:42 PM
He don't deserve it. Demanded a trade from Denver. Knicks got Chandler as free agent and they still slipped. Big market of New York should be rioting. Knicks been meh way back even with Ewing. Shows a big market cant handle a sport. So big markets don't matter. To this day I remember when Milwaukee Bucks Andrew Lag Broke Ewing's Wrist. People hype up markets well it was mainly Lakers back in the day. Now its a free for all. Markets mean nothing. All about the money and winning/or money.

95% certain he was being sarcastic.

Quinnsanity
04-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Here's the thing. I think there are only two guys, relative to their eras, who you could say, "as long as I have this guy for 10 healthy years, assuming I don't colossally mess up the rest of my roster, I'm going to compete for championships every year and win at least one." Those guys are Jordan and LeBron. I have a personal preference in LeBron, but if the sole goal is winning a championship without knowing what the rest of the team is going to be, I'm taking '07-'16 LeBron and '89-'98 MJ and feeling very comfortable that I'm going to compete every year and win a few.

There are two other guys who comes very, VERY close to meeting that designation. That would be Kareem and Shaq, and in both of their cases, it came down to effort. Kareem only won one title between '70-'79 (pre-Magic), and that was with Oscar Robertson and Bobby Dandridge. He was generally on very good teams throughout that period, first with the Bucks, then on Laker teams with Norm Nixon, Jamaal Wilkes and a splash of Adrian Dantley in a pretty weak West (they only won three playoff rounds in Kareem's first four years and lost twice to a pretty meh team historically speaking in the DJ/Sikma Sonics). If he's only winning one ring in that weak era with those supporting casts, then I don't believe he fits the MJ-LeBron definition above. With Shaq, we never saw him near his prime play with average teammates, so we have no idea how he'd do with them. He was so overwhelming that you'd figure it wouldn't be a problem, but I know MJ and LeBron are going to push their teammates to be better. I don't know that with Shaq. Do I think having Shaq or Kareem alone could win me a title? Yea, maybe, but I don't want to bet on them being as motivated as LeBron and MJ would be. If I were to expect them to win the same number of championships, you'd probably have to give me three extra years of each, so 13 years of peak Shaq/Kareem would equal 10 of MJ/LeBron.

Wilt is close to Shaq and Kareem, but it's troubling to me that he won as little as he did in an era when he was so physically overwhelming. I think in this hypothetical fair world, where he doesn't have to go up against Russell's super team every year, he probably wins more. But in addition the effort issues that exist with Kareem and Shaq, it was abundantly clear that Wilt's teammates hated him. That's going to cost me some rings. So I'll tack another year on for Wilt and say give him to me for 14 years and I'd expect to win as many titles as MJ/LeBron in 10.

And that's honestly the entire list. I don't think having Magic, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, Russell or Kobe alone puts me on any sort of path to winning a championship. I think just having those guys probably makes me a 45-50 win team every year, but I don't think the championship upside exists without really good teams around them. You'd have to give me a lot more years with them to ensure I'd be able to surround them properly. I'd say with those guys, I'd want 20-22 years to equal MJ and LeBron. Given the normal cycle of roster moves, I'm pretty confident that in that time, I could find any of those guys another star to play with which would be a necessity in winning titles (yes, I know Duncan and Hakeem both won without another star, but both were in down years, I'm assuming normal levels of competition each year).

WaDe03
04-05-2017, 09:35 PM
1 year of Wade, the god!

valade16
04-05-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen "31 games of Embiid" yet.

Chronz
04-05-2017, 11:18 PM
None. Gimme the best player available

More-Than-Most
04-05-2017, 11:53 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen "31 games of Embiid" yet.

per 36 minutes... 29/11/3/4

he should only ever be the answer if we are taking any player for 1 game.

FlashBolt
04-06-2017, 12:03 AM
per 36 minutes... 29/11/3/4

he should only ever be the answer if we are taking any player for 1 game.

Javale mcgee per 36 is 23/12 with 3 blocks per game.. and he doesnt't take half the season off.. and he actually plays back to backs.. so your post seems like a troll post. you like the guy but there's no way you seriously think he's a sustainable player with those numbers. with this many injuries in a reduced schedule, i'm surprised Sixers haven't decided to trade him yet.

europagnpilgrim
04-06-2017, 12:17 AM
I would take any of the best most dominant crop of players that had its team in the Finals or in strong contention first 5 yrs of actual nba career for a 20yr stretch over a Jordan 10 yr stretch if we are just speaking on purely basketball but if you add in the endorsements/merchandise sales then its probably only around 2-3 players at most

Shaq/Dream/Kareem/Wilt/Zeke/Lebron/The Answer/Duncan/Moses/Dr.J right off top, its others on the cusp but I would probably go with Jordan for 10 but I wouldn't mind a coin flip to select from that next crop if I am getting 20 prime/best years from those others like a Barkley/KG/G.Hill/Baylor/B Russell/Big O/Drexler/Young skinny overseas version of Sabonis etc.