PDA

View Full Version : Late Game Blowouts

cmellofan15
04-05-2017, 10:49 AM
So we've seen it twice in the past few days where players are getting upset with others for not dribbling out the clock and jacking up shots. The instance with Javale McGee turned physical (could've resulted in an injury), and the instance with Stephenson resulted in play stoppage and a lot of barking from the raptors.

How do you feel about situations like these? Did either take a course of action that was necessary or were both unwarranted? And what is the proper response?

tredigs
04-05-2017, 11:09 AM
So we've seen it twice in the past few days where players are getting upset with others for not dribbling out the clock and jacking up shots. The instance with Javale McGee turned physical (could've resulted in an injury), and the instance with Stephenson resulted in play stoppage and a lot of barking from the raptors.

How do you feel about situations like these? Did either take a course of action that was necessary or were both unwarranted? And what is the proper response?

It's protocol not to shoot when the game is well out of hand and there is less than 24 seconds in the game (no shot clock). Goes for both teams, but especially the winning side. Raps shot the ball in this situation before Lance did, so they sort of lose their right to ***** about it imo. In Javale's case the shot clock was going to expire and cause a turnover. Shooting the ball there is standard and what most teams do.

KnicksorBust
04-05-2017, 11:27 AM
As a coach I believe you should be playing just as hard in the last minute and you were in the first minute. If my starters are still in and the game is wrapped up I tell them to dribble it out or I call a time out to get my bench in the game. If my bench players are in then I let them play. Some kids barely get in the games so for them, regardless of the score, they deserve an opportunity to get game reps and play the right way.

At the NBA level I feel the same way. You don't like it? Keep playing defense.

Vinylman
04-05-2017, 11:31 AM
It's protocol not to shoot when the game is well out of hand and there is less than 24 seconds in the game (no shot clock). Goes for both teams, but especially the winning side. Raps shot the ball in this situation before Lance did, so they sort of lose their right to ***** about it imo. In Javale's case the shot clock was going to expire and cause a turnover. Shooting the ball there is standard and what most teams do.

omfg... the definition of homerism

As for the question...

Players need to STFU and play the game out. The over reaction by PJ Tucker was epic...

Scoots
04-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Not to mention the hypocrisy of Jennings since he, in march, shot a 3 in the last minute of a game when they were up 24.

It seems to me that you don't jack up a shot as the clock expires, but it's done regularly by losing teams and nobody usually gets upset. It's done a little less often by winning teams and it's usually a bench player who doesn't get many opportunities.

I guess it's only a thing when the players get bent out of shape and that only seems to happen when the losing team is feeling particularly bad about the game or the player taking the shot.

colinskik
04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
This is a perfect example of a grown man (PJ Tucker) acting like a baby. What does it matter if you lose by 17 rather than 15? Clearly, he was pissed that his team lost and wanted to direct his anger somewhere. And the respect argument is totally moot as well -- these guys engage in countless disrespectful acts throughout a game, yet they want to be shown respect when they lose? Gimme a ****ing break. Get over it and concentrate on things that actually matter -- like beating a team you should beat.

colinskik
04-05-2017, 11:55 AM

As for the question...

Players need to STFU and play the game out. The over reaction by PJ Tucker was epic...

The def on trolling.

ewing
04-05-2017, 11:56 AM
who the **** cares? Good for Brandon and good for PJ.

Vinylman
04-05-2017, 12:10 PM
The def on trolling.

the definition of ignorance

dude says its not ok for Toronto to shoot when there is more than 24 seconds left and then turns around and says its ok that javale shot it with more than 24 seconds left... mmmkay

Scoots
04-05-2017, 12:10 PM
who the **** cares? Good for Brandon and good for PJ.

And good for anyone who takes a shot that gets someone else to lose their mind and show they are weak minded :)

sep11ie
04-05-2017, 12:16 PM

As for the question...

Was gonna say the same thing. Like the TO would matter there...lol

ewing
04-05-2017, 12:16 PM
And good for anyone who takes a shot that gets someone else to lose their mind and show they are weak minded :)

whatever. Someone pushed someone and someone said a couple naughty words.

tredigs
04-05-2017, 12:19 PM

dude says its not ok for Toronto to shoot when there is more than 24 seconds left and then turns around and says its ok that javale shot it with more than 24 seconds left... mmmkay

There was 20 seconds left you stupid ****ing troll. The Raptors did not have to shoot, hence me saying, "they sort of lost their right to ***** about it there imo".

colinskik
04-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Definition of idiocy. Read the post again and then try to understand how numbers work.

aman_13
04-05-2017, 12:36 PM
You don't lay it in. I've seen the losing team take the shot many times despite the shot clock and the winning team usually will just dribble it out.

It's one of those unwritten rules that doesn't really make sense but it's just a sign of respect. Lance apologized after the game anyway so I'm sure both teams can put it behind them.

I'm upset the Raps blew a 17 point lead in that game only to lose by double digits.

WaDe03
04-05-2017, 12:38 PM
There was 20 seconds left you stupid ****ing troll. The Raptors did not have to shoot, hence me saying, "they sort of lost their right to ***** about it there imo".

I would be banned again If I posted this.

ewing
04-05-2017, 12:42 PM
You don't lay it in. I've seen the losing team take the shot many times despite the shot clock and the winning team usually will just dribble it out.

It's one of those unwritten rules that doesn't really make sense but it's just a sign of respect. Lance apologized after the game anyway so I'm sure both teams can put it behind them.

I'm upset the Raps blew a 17 point lead in that game only to lose by double digits.

agreed. both guys shouldn't have done what they did. They might not have even noticed they were doing it but they did it. It got a reaction from guys that were already pissed b/c they losing. I fail to see anything to debate. Good for Brandon and PJ for caring. I'm sure the other guys will run out the clock next time

tredigs
04-05-2017, 12:43 PM
I would be banned again If I posted this.
I gave a well thought out post, he trolled (and what he didn't understand was that he was completely incorrect to boot), and I responded with some truth. He has been trolling me for weeks.

WaDe03
04-05-2017, 12:48 PM
I gave a well thought out post, he trolled (and what he didn't understand was that he was completely incorrect to boot), and I responded with some truth. He has been trolling me for weeks.

Yea, he used to do the same to me lol.

ewing
04-05-2017, 12:48 PM

With a two sec differential teams normally run it out. I doubt McGee has the ball much then. Its very possible he he wasn't show boating. Jennings might have an ugly J and be too weak to finish but he is a competitor and he got pissed. Javlee should have held the ball but i wouldn't hold anything against either player. Its a basketball game not high tea

tredigs
04-05-2017, 12:50 PM
agreed. both guys shouldn't have done what they did. They might not have even noticed they were doing it but they did it. It got a reaction from guys that were already pissed b/c they losing. I fail to see anything to debate. Good for Brandon and PJ for caring. I'm sure the other guys will run out the clock next time.

McAdoo on the Warriors shot the ball up whatever they were up at the end last night (a lot) in a situation where the clock would have actually expired (so closer to Lance's situation rather than Javale's). And that was the next game, so clearly at least he didn't care. And in reality no team should ever care if a team shoots at a point where there is still a shot clock. Only teams that have a right to complain (if that's their thing) is in the situation like McAdoo's last night (no reason to shoot there, unless it was just ahead of the shot clock... it was close). Javale's is standard (happens every night), and the Raps can't ***** if they're still playing themselves.

aman_13
04-05-2017, 12:51 PM
agreed. both guys shouldn't have done what they did. They might not have even noticed they were doing it but they did it. It got a reaction from guys that were already pissed b/c they losing. I fail to see anything to debate. Good for Brandon and PJ for caring. I'm sure the other guys will run out the clock next time

Yeah the message was sent, Lance apologized and I doubt anything like that happens again.

ewing
04-05-2017, 12:53 PM
McAdoo on the Warriors shot the ball up whatever they were up at the end last night (a lot) in a situation where the clock would have actually expired (so closer to Lance's situation rather than Javale's). And that was the next game, so clearly at least he didn't care. And in reality no team should ever care if a team shoots at a point where there is still a shot clock. Only teams that have a right to complain (if that's their thing) is in the situation like McAdoo's last night (no reason to shoot there, unless it was just ahead of the shot clock... it was close). Javale's is standard (happens every night), and the Raps can't ***** if they're still playing themselves.

maybe you should stop telling other people what they have the right to feel. you're so insensitive

colinskik
04-05-2017, 12:54 PM

This is the point I don't understand or agree with. What are they caring about? That their little feelings got hurt? That Lance basket makes absolutely no difference. Guys like PJ and Jennings are just showing their immaturity.

I say, if someone like Lance wants to score with 3 secs left, either guard him or ignore him, since, again, it has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game. In fact, I like what Lance did because it may display a kill or be killed mentality by the Pacers.

GoCubbies65
04-05-2017, 01:17 PM
I coach High School sports. Our thought process is this: If a team is embarrassing a C-Team (Freshman level) or JV (sophomores/juniors) than you back off. However, if you are drilling or getting drilled at the Varsity level than you just deal with it. You can choose to back off or not, but if we are getting killed we look at it as the highest level and if you don't want to get embarrassed than don't let them embarrass you.

These guys play in the freaking NBA. They have been through college and are now being paid millions to play basketball. It is your career you are the best of the best. So, you don't want to get embarrassed and have your feelings hurt than play better. You were up 19 and lost by 18. That is your own damn fault. No one comes out crying about how UCONN girls drill everyone they play.

The Raptors lost by 18 the final layup means nothing. Today a loss is a loss. If that was a layup at the buzzer to win it counts the same way. So stop being a bunch of damn babies. Get back in the gym today and don't let it happen next time. We have these same discussions with 15 year olds. This should not be a discussion in the NBA.

Scoots
04-05-2017, 01:43 PM
maybe you should stop telling other people what they have the right to feel. you're so insensitive

:clap:

Scoots
04-05-2017, 01:44 PM
With a two sec differential teams normally run it out. I doubt McGee has the ball much then. Its very possible he he wasn't show boating. Jennings might have an ugly J and be too weak to finish but he is a competitor and he got pissed. Javlee should have held the ball but i wouldn't hold anything against either player. Its a basketball game not high tea

I agree.

And you are right ... it's very odd for JaVale McGee to have the ball at the 3 line with the clock ticking down.

colinskik
04-05-2017, 01:47 PM
I coach High School sports. Our thought process is this: If a team is embarrassing a C-Team (Freshman level) or JV (sophomores/juniors) than you back off. However, if you are drilling or getting drilled at the Varsity level than you just deal with it. You can choose to back off or not, but if we are getting killed we look at it as the highest level and if you don't want to get embarrassed than don't let them embarrass you.

These guys play in the freaking NBA. They have been through college and are now being paid millions to play basketball. It is your career you are the best of the best. So, you don't want to get embarrassed and have your feelings hurt than play better. You were up 19 and lost by 18. That is your own damn fault. No one comes out crying about how UCONN girls drill everyone they play.

The Raptors lost by 18 the final layup means nothing. Today a loss is a loss. If that was a layup at the buzzer to win it counts the same way. So stop being a bunch of damn babies. Get back in the gym today and don't let it happen next time. We have these same discussions with 15 year olds. This should not be a discussion in the NBA.

Thank you for the post. This should be the final say on the matter.

tp13baby
04-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Lance Stephenson didn't show boat or anything he just cruised to a layup.

"The shot clock was going to expire." Come on that is a terrible excuse. Take the turnover. McGee will never take that shot in a real game so I see where the Wizards are coming from.

You can't look at one and say this made sense while the other one didn't. Denver has been in McGee's shoes multiple times this year and lets the clock run out. Both fall in the same category.

There is a point where there is an overreaction and we are touching it.

WaDe03
04-05-2017, 02:00 PM

Ironic....Did Tucker and Derozan try to fight Powell after this dunk? Not only did he score he disrespected them even more by showboating with the windmill dunk.

KnicksorBust
04-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Spot-on. I'm a hs coach too. How long you been coaching?

IndyRealist
04-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Ironic....Did Tucker and Derozan try to fight Powell after this dunk? Not only did he score he disrespected them even more by showboating with the windmill dunk.

Lol.
/Thread

aman_13
04-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Yeah Raps over reacted. Lance was still wrong but they were more upset that they lost a game they should of won. They took it out on that play. I think if it was another player, the reaction wouldn't be as strong.

colinskik
04-05-2017, 02:34 PM

this is amazing -- would pay actual money to see a reporter show this to PJ Tucker and ask him his thoughts.

CousinsEvansDUO
04-05-2017, 02:41 PM
The notion of a "cardinal rule" to not score at the end of a game in a blowout is ludicrous.

Lance is getting paid millions of dollars to score the ball and that's what he's out there to do.

If the raptors had a problem they should of hustled and blocked the shot.

Should players start scoring easy layups at the end of games? I think it should be celebrated not shamed and i for one am proud of lance for being so brave to make that shot

pacofunk64
04-05-2017, 02:42 PM
I find it completely and utterly ********. That being the other team whining about it. I get it, some players will choose not to shoot and I'm fine with that but guess what if you don't want him shooting then guard the MF'er.

It's like the "unwritten" rules in baseball. Stupid!

KnicksorBust
04-05-2017, 02:55 PM
We already have a thread for this... this reeks of a troll post... but I completely agree. It's funny that as a society we are all complaining how people are soft and snowflakes yet in a basketball game we have to stop scoring and play nice. Unspoken rule/cardinal sin? Give me a break. NBA players shouldn't have hurt feelings over one player making a garbage basket.

Bruno
04-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Yes and no for me with the Lance situation. He laid it in soft. If it was an awesome dunk he can claim it was for us, the fans and our entertainment. imo you need to dribble it out or do something spectacular, don't just lay it in like it doesn't matter.

Jamiecballer
04-05-2017, 03:14 PM

well that's a pretty obvious red herring. what reason do we have to think that Tucker endorsed this?

Saddletramp
04-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Stephenson is pretty much a clown and McGee definitely is. That's just what they're gonna do.. But don't wanna be showed up, don't get that far back.

Of course, these dopes shouldn't be acting like clowns.

IndyRealist
04-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Lance is a knucklehead.

Scoots
04-05-2017, 09:14 PM
well that's a pretty obvious red herring. what reason do we have to think that Tucker endorsed this?

I think the point was that if Derozan and Tucker were "offended" by the behavior regardless of who does it then they should be "offended" by their teammate too. But I think you probably knew that.

Scoots
04-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Stephenson is pretty much a clown and McGee definitely is. That's just what they're gonna do.. But don't wanna be showed up, don't get that far back.

Of course, these dopes shouldn't be acting like clowns.

Lance is a knucklehead.

Yup, yup, yup.

cmellofan15
04-05-2017, 09:41 PM

He never said or hinted at Tucker endorsing it. He simply pointed out the inconsistency of Tucker by publicly shoving and berating a player in one situation and doing absolutely nothing in the other. What Tucker did was absolutely pathetic and indefensible.

ewing
04-05-2017, 09:48 PM
I think the point was that if Derozan and Tucker were "offended" by the behavior regardless of who does it then they should be "offended" by their teammate too. But I think you probably knew that.

That's a stupid point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ_JKidd
04-05-2017, 09:48 PM
The notion of a "cardinal rule" to not score at the end of a game in a blowout is ludicrous.

Lance is getting paid millions of dollars to score the ball and that's what he's out there to do.

If the raptors had a problem they should of hustled and blocked the shot.

Should players start scoring easy layups at the end of games? I think it should be celebrated not shamed and i for one am proud of lance for being so brave to make that shot

"shouldnt of"

Quinnsanity
04-05-2017, 10:12 PM
"shouldnt of"

You beat me by 25 ****ing minutes.

aman_13
04-05-2017, 10:16 PM
this is amazing -- would pay actual money to see a reporter show this to PJ Tucker and ask him his thoughts.

He would say they were wrong just like the Raps did after that game. Casey said it was wrong and apologized. Lance apologized last night. It's really a non story. I doubt we ever hear about this again.

WaDe03
04-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Lance Stephenson also posted that video of Powell lol

GodsSon
04-05-2017, 10:51 PM

Except the Raps were down 15 when they shot that, not up 15 with 3 seconds left...

tp13baby
04-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Lance Stephenson also posted that video of Powell lol

I love it. I tend to gravitate to the McGee's, Stephenson, Draymond Green. These dudes you can call clowns but thats who they have always been man.

Side note PJ Tucker is a tool and always has been.

Jamiecballer
04-06-2017, 12:03 AM
Absolutely, but when someone says "ironic" in this fashion the implication is clear, they are calling them hypocritical. But it's not, unless players are guilty simply by association. It's not like tucker dunked the ball, it was powell. Weak trolling, at best.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
04-06-2017, 12:46 AM
1) That Raptors example with Powell is hardly the same. the way they scored it has a lot to do with the difference. And sixers are tanking anyways.. they don't give a rat's *** about their reputation. Literally 90% of that roster are expendable players. One guy did a pretty nice dunk for the fans. The other just did a lay up. The points are the same but it really isn't.
2) I can't believe people still cry about it. you got embarrassed by losing that lead. lance laying up the ball should be the least of your problems.

aman_13
04-06-2017, 12:47 AM
Also Lance should know better to compare himself to a first yr player at that time lol.

aman_13
04-06-2017, 12:58 AM
1) That Raptors example with Powell is hardly the same. the way they scored it has a lot to do with the difference. And sixers are tanking anyways.. they don't give a rat's *** about their reputation. Literally 90% of that roster are expendable players. One guy did a pretty nice dunk for the fans. The other just did a lay up. The points are the same but it really isn't.
2) I can't believe people still cry about it. you got embarrassed by losing that lead. lance laying up the ball should be the least of your problems.

No doubt, which is why I didn't care when he did it. The Raps should never have put themselves in that position.

tredigs
04-06-2017, 01:06 AM
Except the Raps were down 15 when they shot that, not up 15 with 3 seconds left...
And what's the difference? Please break it down for us. The game was 100% done both ways.