PDA

View Full Version : Do the Warriors playing this well without KD further weaken his "Championships"?

Nikeman
04-04-2017, 12:23 AM
Simple question.

The Warriors won 73 games without KD last year. After he gets injured they stumble a bit, but they have recovered and basically look like the Warriors from last season.

They are now on an 11 game win streak, which includes multiple wins over the other top 2 teams besides GS, Houston twice, and a come back from double digits down against San Antonio to beat them by double digits. Curry looks like the Curry of old again. In my eyes, this Warriors team even without KD is the favorite to win it again this year.

I know we will get LeBron comparisons inevitably, but they are completely different situations in my eyes. LeBron went to a Miami team with Wade and Bosh, and was the MAIN reason that Miami became what it became. KD joined a team which was already stacked to the core and just put up the best regular season of all time. The Warriors keep their team from last season and you put KD on another team, you could argue they have an even better record and are easily still favorites to win the title. Still, even today, the general consensus on this forum seems to be that people only respect one of LeBron's 3 rings, the ring which he won last year defeating GS.

So simple question, if KD comes back and wins a ring with GS, and even multiple rings down the line, would you respect them, or is he just an elite player with no spine who happens to be ring chaser?

TrueFan420
04-04-2017, 12:33 AM
I think people already made up their minds one way or another. This stretch will not change it.

mrblisterdundee
04-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Simple question.

The Warriors won 73 games without KD last year. After he gets injured they stumble a bit, but they have recovered and basically look like the Warriors from last season.

... without Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut. Kevin Durant has been one of the best rim protectors in the league this year, while scoring 16 more points per game than Barnes did last season. Golden State is undoubtedly a significantly better team with him playing.
His championships are weaker because he plugged himself into an already stacked team. They were always going to be weaker, no matter how good Golden State is.

More-Than-Most
04-04-2017, 03:19 AM
It will be just as important as robert Horry are... Sorry this is what happens when you join the best team in basketball after choking to said team with a ton of talent next to you.

Scoots
04-04-2017, 09:27 AM
We'll have to see how much of a difference he makes in the playoffs.

TrueFan420
04-04-2017, 10:18 AM
It will be just as important as robert Horry are... Sorry this is what happens when you join the best team in basketball after choking to said team with a ton of talent next to you.

No they won't. Yes he joined a great team but he's no role player. He's top 2 on the team and plays a massive role. Yes we'd arguably still be in the Finals hunt with or without him and you can dislike his move but if he's playing he's going to be playing an integral role. If Curry went down and the warriors kept playing great would KD's the championships mean more cause he was doing more. No they'd mean the same.

WaDe03
04-04-2017, 10:23 AM
His championship will be as weak as it gets already. You joined a team that went 73-9 and beat you in the playoffs after you were up 3-2 and then "choked" the series away. Sorry KD, no one but Warriors fans will give you credit for being as soft as it gets. A championship with this team doesn't add to his legacy at all.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-04-2017, 11:27 AM
It certainly isn't helping. Although in the eyes of most, no championship he wins with the Warriors will be looked at as a legacy defining win.

I mean, Lebron's championship with Cleveland was much better for his legacy than the Miami run. And the KD situation is much more extreme than the Lebron one IMO.

GoferKing_
04-04-2017, 11:30 AM
There is nothing left to weaken.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Simple question.

They are now on an 11 game win streak, which includes multiple wins over the other top 2 teams besides GS, Houston twice, and a come back from double digits down against San Antonio to beat them by double digits. Curry looks like the Curry of old again. In my eyes, this Warriors team even without KD is the favorite to win it again this year.

I know we will get LeBron comparisons inevitably, but they are completely different situations in my eyes. LeBron went to a Miami team with Wade and Bosh, and was the MAIN reason that Miami became what it became. KD joined a team which was already stacked to the core and just put up the best regular season of all time. The Warriors keep their team from last season and you put KD on another team, you could argue they have an even better record and are easily still favorites to win the title. Still, even today, the general consensus on this forum seems to be that people only respect one of LeBron's 3 rings, the ring which he won last year defeating GS.

So simple question, if KD comes back and wins a ring with GS, and even multiple rings down the line, would you respect them, or is he just an elite player with no spine who happens to be ring chaser?

For me it will always be the second part and I hate to say it as someone who loved Durant when he was in OKC and was a Westbrook hater.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2017, 11:33 AM
It certainly isn't helping. Although in the eyes of most, no championship he wins with the Warriors will be looked at as a legacy defining win.

I mean, Lebron's championship with Cleveland was much better for his legacy than the Miami run. And the KD situation is much more extreme than the Lebron one IMO.

Does the 1 in Cleveland outweigh 2 in Miami? BTW still rockin a STAT-Melo sig on purpose?

KnicksorBust
04-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Completely disagree. I think they will be worth less. If Horry didn't have rings he would be forgotten. The rings have made Horry a legend. Any Durant ring will be less important to his career legacy.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Does the 1 in Cleveland outweigh 2 in Miami? BTW still rockin a STAT-Melo sig on purpose?

For me? Yea, I think it does.

I have signatures turned off, so I totally forgot I had one up lol.

tredigs
04-04-2017, 12:14 PM
All depends on what happens in the playoffs and how he performs. Would we be saying this if he was on the Warriors last year and stepped up after Curry got injured and lead the team to the Title and won FMVP? No, of course not. And the Warriors are down a potential ship accordingly.

I do have to shake my head at those who thought the Warriors would struggle in the reg season without KD though. He's a much more important piece once the playoffs begin. His ability to stop a run by getting easy buckets + getting to the line is a game changer for them, especially when Curry is out or having an off night. Defensively he's an absolute nightmare for teams these days as well, and we are going to see a rested KD on that end in these series.

ewing
04-04-2017, 01:35 PM
All depends on what happens in the playoffs and how he performs. Would we be saying this if he was on the Warriors last year and stepped up after Curry got injured and lead the team to the Title and won FMVP? No, of course not. And the Warriors are down a potential ship accordingly.

I do have to shake my head at those who thought the Warriors would struggle in the reg season without KD though. He's a much more important piece once the playoffs begin. His ability to stop a run by getting easy buckets + getting to the line is a game changer for them, especially when Curry is out or having an off night. Defensively he's an absolute nightmare for teams these days as well, and we are going to see a rested KD on that end in these series.

Still pretending Curry was hurt?

krazylegz
04-04-2017, 01:38 PM
KD non existent championship we are chatting about was tainted when he joined a team that has been there twice in a row,winning one,without his lanky azz

WaDe03
04-04-2017, 01:47 PM
KD non existent championship we are chatting about was tainted when he joined a team that has been there twice in a row,winning one,without his lanky azz

Did you get your name from Dont Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood?

GoferKing_
04-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Does the 1 in Cleveland outweigh 2 in Miami?

Yes

Chronz
04-04-2017, 11:47 PM
Been saying it from the beginning, it depends on team circumstance but given the sheer dominance they are capable without him, I just cant envision a scenario, barring injury, where hes truly elevated by such a flimsy title

lol, please
04-05-2017, 01:13 AM
Simple question.

Of course not.

KD will go down as an ATG as is, winning a ring as a key component in the deep Warriors system doesn't take away from that.

Don't get sucked into the whole "Montana had Rice doe, Rice had Montana doe" vicious circle of a fallacy.