PDA

View Full Version : Players you knew would bust and players who busted that you thought would beast

ewing
04-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Guys who did bust:

Hasheem Thatbeet: His guy was weak and terrible at basketball. He was literal just tall

Johnny Flynn: real short, no jumpshot mmmmm

Sheldon Williams: Clearly a college player. Not that long, no range, scored almost all his bucket in college by getting a seal and turning for lay in. Smart player but clearly not an 5 pick.

Guys i was totally wrong on who busted

Courtney Alexander: loved him. thought this guy had star written all over him

Andre Iguodala: not a real bust but another guy i thought had star written all over him

Rashad McCants: I admit i thought he was really good.

ewing
04-03-2017, 11:33 PM
of i also thought Adam Morrison would have an NBA career. maybe not a star but he was such a good scorer, i thought he'd at least have role and get buckets

nyballa1991
04-04-2017, 12:16 AM
Knew Would Bust: Bargnani
Morrison
Brandon Jennings (So much hype coming out)
Brandon Ingram (know hes really really young just dont see it though)

Though would Beast: Beasley
Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner

ewing
04-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Morrison

Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner

That's funny i didn't think Turner would bust but i didn't think he would beast at all. I also was sold on Evans being a total bust, no J and bull in a china shop. Jennings and Bargani i never saw play before the NBA b/c they were over seas but i didn't like Jennings when he first saw him. I actually enjoy his game now but off the bench is where he belongs.

Scoots
04-04-2017, 12:42 AM
I thought Whiteside would be good ... was horribly wrong ... eventually was a little right.

mrblisterdundee
04-04-2017, 01:04 AM
Morrison

Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner

I agree on Evans and Beasley, but there was no chance of Turner beasting. He was already 27 coming to Portland, without a shot and at best a grossly overpaid role player.
Portland, long in search of that do-it-all-star forward, has had a litany of busts I thought might beast. Batum could do it all but never put together consistently great aggressiveness, play or health. Webster could score 24 in a quarter one night and two in a game the next. Harkless is my latest delusional belief.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Ive been wrong several times with players i thought would do better that they did in the end.

KAreem Rush, Jamaal Sampson, Juan Hernangomez, Marc Macon, Billy Owens, Mateen Cleaves, Lee Nailon, Andrea Bargnani, Pervis Ellison, Eric Montross, Cherokee Parks, Wang Zizi, Yi JIanlian, Kedrick Brown ,Joe Forte....................just of the top of my head

tredigs
04-04-2017, 02:13 AM
I mean Iguodala was certainly nothing of a bust. If that draft was redone with hindsight, he would have gone #2 instead of #9. An all around player offensively and one of the best perimeter defenders of the generation.

Personally I don't watch enough college ball to have strong opinions on most prospects.

IKnowHoops
04-04-2017, 03:22 AM
Thought would beast but they busted hard.

Donyell Marshall (beast-thought he would be what a poor mans Durant would be) was trash
Joe Smith (beast) was trash
Shawn Respert (thought he would be a borderline allstar) was trash
Jason Williams (motorcycle crash)
Yinka Dare ( beast) was trash
Greg Oden (fragile)
Derrick Williams (Thought he would be a poor mans Blake Griffin) Just not that caliber.

Ariza's Better
04-04-2017, 04:49 AM
Thought Brandon Jennings would be a future MVP winner. Was completely wrong about that.

Jeffy25
04-04-2017, 05:26 AM
Darius Miles, thought he would be awesome

Also John Bender

tp13baby
04-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Ive been wrong several times with players i thought would do better that they did in the end.

KAreem Rush, Jamaal Sampson, Juan Hernangomez, Marc Macon, Billy Owens, Mateen Cleaves, Lee Nailon, Andrea Bargnani, Pervis Ellison, Eric Montross, Cherokee Parks, Wang Zizi, Yi JIanlian, Kedrick Brown ,Joe Forte....................just of the top of my head

He doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

Let downs
Randy Foye
Rubio
Beasley
Napier (thought he was the next Kemba)
Every Nugget fan will remember Julius Hodge

PurpleLynch
04-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Morrison

Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner

Also,it's his first year and he has not a Nba ready body. Just wait till next year to label him with anything close to bust. Actually,after the all star game,he's doing pretty well despite his lack of muscles. He's gaining confidence with his shot too.

warfelg
04-04-2017, 07:59 AM
One guy I knew would bust and has proved me right:
Jahlil Okafor.

PurpleLynch
04-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Bust: Bennett

Not-a-Bust:Josh Smith. He had a pretty decent career and I thought he would last like 5 years in the Nba when he was drafted.

Chronz
04-04-2017, 08:20 AM
I've only ever gone out on a limb with guys i had hoped would replace my sweet beloved . Dorrell Wright came in with the defense and had the shot going later but never the handle or assertiveness. CJ Miles and Martell Webster had sweet Shuttlesworth looking strokes to me. Basically all the hs kids.

Scoots
04-04-2017, 08:48 AM
I don't think anybody in their first 2 years should be anywhere here.

Rubio is a good one he's not a bust, but he fell well short of beast.

Thought Kwame Brown would not beast ... he was far closer to bust than expected.

ewing
04-04-2017, 08:50 AM
I mean Iguodala was certainly nothing of a bust. If that draft was redone with hindsight, he would have gone #2 instead of #9. An all around player offensively and one of the best perimeter defenders of the generation.

Personally I don't watch enough college ball to have strong opinions on most prospects.

I wouldn't call him a bust but i thought he was a franchise player in the making.

ewing
04-04-2017, 08:54 AM

Let downs
Randy Foye
Rubio
Beasley

I was actually a fan of his in college. NC State always a team i liked. Remember Fire and Ice?

WaDe03
04-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Guy I thought would be a beast but was a bust: Wade

Guy I thought would bust but is a beast: Oden

Guy I knew would be a bust and is a bust: Embiid

MJNetsIsles
04-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Anthony Bennett
Darko and Bargnani

Scalabrine

D-Leethal
04-04-2017, 10:57 AM
I thought Rubio was gonna be star after his gold medal game at age 17, D-ing up CP3 full court like a boss.

ewing
04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
I thought Rubio was gonna be star after his gold medal game at age 17, D-ing up CP3 full court like a boss.

Me too.

MygirlhatesCod
04-04-2017, 12:10 PM
I knew todd fuller was a bust. hate that pick more than any pick in any sport.
I thought Rubio was gonna be a superstar.
steve nash was the biggest surprise to me. never expected much from him.

MygirlhatesCod
04-04-2017, 12:17 PM

I think you wrote that wrong

Scoots
04-04-2017, 12:30 PM
I think you wrote that wrong

I was just confused trying to figure out who he was trying to troll.

WaDe03
04-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Sorry for "trolling."

In all seriousness though I knew Embiid would be a bust, I just had a feeling.

I thought James Young would be really good, really good shooter in college and very athletic. He seems to be a bust.

tredigs
04-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Sorry for "trolling."

In all seriousness though I knew Embiid would be a bust, I just had a feeling.

I thought James Young would be really good, really good shooter in college and very athletic. He seems to be a bust.
We saw him play. He clearly showed the potential to be arguably the most talented 2 way big of our generation. Whether he gets the chance to manifest that in his career is another matter. But if so, he's going to average around 30/10 as a top rim protector who can hit 3's and FT's at a high clip to top it all off. If you thought he would be a bust skill wise, you couldn't have been more wise. Might have different definitions of what it means to bust though.

WaDe03
04-04-2017, 01:27 PM
We saw him play. He clearly showed the potential to be arguably the most talented 2 way big of our generation. Whether he gets the chance to manifest that in his career is another matter. But if so, he's going to average around 30/10 as a top rim protector who can hit 3's and FT's at a high clip to top it all off. If you thought he would be a bust skill wise, you couldn't have been more wise. Might have different definitions of what it means to bust though.

So for example, James Young is a bust due to his skill, Embiid is a bust due to injuries. He has tons of skill, but he already has a terrible injury history and these are serious injuries. He has a big kind of awkward/bulky body and I believe this will cause the injuries to continue to pile up.

ewing
04-04-2017, 01:33 PM
I thought Chris Wilcox would be good but i thought Tryus Thomas would suck. Maybe i learned my lesson

ewing
04-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Shawn Bradley was clearly terrible

TheDish87
04-04-2017, 01:47 PM

lol

WaDe03
04-04-2017, 01:49 PM
lol

Explain.

MygirlhatesCod
04-04-2017, 02:05 PM

he was a solid shot blocker. I don't think anyone really seen him as anything else. cant hate on shawn, he was a monstar!!!!

tredigs
04-04-2017, 03:04 PM
So for example, James Young is a bust due to his skill, Embiid is a bust due to injuries. He has tons of skill, but he already has a terrible injury history and these are serious injuries. He has a big kind of awkward/bulky body and I believe this will cause the injuries to continue to pile up.

Injuries are clearly different than being a bust to me. Somebody saying "I knew he'd be a bust" is vastly different than saying "I knew he'd never be able to stay on the court". It's extremely rare that a young player is too injured to ever be able to stay on the court. Oden is the only other one that comes to mind. You knew this of Embiid, though? Don't buy it.

ewing
04-04-2017, 03:05 PM
he was a solid shot blocker. I don't think anyone really seen him as anything else. cant hate on shawn, he was a monstar!!!!

he was drafted #2

Scoots
04-04-2017, 03:17 PM
he was drafted #2

I will never forget they once showed him drinking one of his protein shakes ... he was consuming almost 8000 calories a day early on and he HATED it.

ewing
04-04-2017, 04:54 PM
I will never forget they once showed him drinking one of his protein shakes ... he was consuming almost 8000 calories a day early on and he HATED it.

he was so skinny and not good at basketball, plus he took a year off before he came to the NBA. Hard to believe he got taken #2

MygirlhatesCod
04-04-2017, 05:40 PM
he was drafted #2

to me that's just philly F.O being garbage like usual. anyone that seen him play knew what he was gonna be.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2017, 05:50 PM

Let downs
Randy Foye
Rubio
Beasley

hes has not even suited up half of the games , when he plays he plays 4 dammned minutes and he barely scores.

i thought he was going to be able to get his 20 ppg, play 82gmes and average his 10 and 6..........................picked the wrong bro it seems:p

valade16
04-04-2017, 06:24 PM
As a Blazer fan I remember thinking Rudy Fernandez would be a big deal.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2017, 09:34 PM

The Ariza Incident screw him.
He has never been fully healthy ever since.

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Flynn. I was scratching my head at how that guy got drafted, let alone int he first round. AND OVER CURRY!!!

Brandon Knight and Terrance Ross. I follow the Pistons and Raptors, and man... I was FURIOUS with Knight getting picked over Klay. Furious! Not only was Klay significantly better in my eyes, but if I recall, we had two point guards a the time and no shooting guard. In my mind, that was ore of a blunder than Darko because Darko was a 'project' with potentially high returns and everybody was looking at that kid. Nobody was looking at Knight. When I saw Ferdette and Walker go ahead of Klay I was dumbfounded. I thought Klay was a top-five pick for sure. I would have understood drafting Kyrie over him, or Thompson and Kanter. Everybody wants a big man int he draft. Even Val I guess. And I knew people were high on Williams.... so I expected to see Klay go 7 or 8.

I see certain point guards come in and roll my eyes when they get drafted high. Walker. Jennings. I just think: here's another Stephen Marbury. Good luck with that.

Terrence Ross. I was furious that the Raptors passed on him, especially since Val didn't play yet. I thought he was better trade bait than a prospect. And I think they just signed DMDR to a contract or something, so I was like: why have to of the same thing? Thankfully the Pistons picked him up.

ewing
04-05-2017, 04:27 AM

I did too. Dude had a ton of tools. What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blitzbolt
04-05-2017, 08:55 AM
OJ Mayo he had the talent and everything but he never reach his potential.

IndyRealist
04-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Knew would bust
Royce White-self explanatory

Thought would beast
Orlando Johnson-impressive rookie year, thought he would supplant Stephenson in the lineup. Strong, could shoot and handle the ball, played defense. It had to be drugs or something for him to wash out of the league.

valade16
04-05-2017, 02:37 PM
I did too. Dude had a ton of tools. What happened?

He had a fairly hard fall courtesy of Trevor Ariza that sort of killed his aggressiveness, agility and confidence. But even before that it was clear he wasn't going to be as good as I thought.

First, the Blazers used him wrong in that they tried to make him a catch and shoot spacer when he was best with the ball in his hands making plays for others (though at that time Nate McMillan's offense was 'give the ball to B-Roy'). The opposite side of the coin was his opinion of his game far exceeded his skill and he tried to do too much with the ball and did a lot of pull-up 3's when he wasn't very good at them. He also was far better at getting to the rim than actually doing anything productive once down there.

In short, he thought he should have a star player/ball dominant role when his ability was far better suited for role player. I'm sure winning all the MVPs and awards in Spain and coming over here to being the 6th man in a rotation was fairly tough to transition to.

kobe4thewinbang
04-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Let downs
Randy Foye
Rubio
Beasley
Every Nugget fan will remember Julius HodgeI thought so too. He'd just come off the NCAA title, and LeBron made some magic moves to have Miami draft him.

kobe4thewinbang
04-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Ben McLemore is my vote. I thought he would be better. I think he can still improve, but not in Sacramento.

ewing
04-05-2017, 09:34 PM
He had a fairly hard fall courtesy of Trevor Ariza that sort of killed his aggressiveness, agility and confidence. But even before that it was clear he wasn't going to be as good as I thought.

First, the Blazers used him wrong in that they tried to make him a catch and shoot spacer when he was best with the ball in his hands making plays for others (though at that time Nate McMillan's offense was 'give the ball to B-Roy'). The opposite side of the coin was his opinion of his game far exceeded his skill and he tried to do too much with the ball and did a lot of pull-up 3's when he wasn't very good at them. He also was far better at getting to the rim than actually doing anything productive once down there.

In short, he thought he should have a star player/ball dominant role when his ability was far better suited for role player. I'm sure winning all the MVPs and awards in Spain and coming over here to being the 6th man in a rotation was fairly tough to transition to.

I never saw him in Europe but he just seemed so athletic, with range, a handle, showtime passes and he just couldn't put it together. Maybe he hates America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COOLbeans
04-05-2017, 10:41 PM
I thought Emeka Okafor and Larry Hughes would be allstars. Casey Jacobson, and the Obannon brothers,

ewing
04-05-2017, 10:48 PM
I thought Emeka Okafor and Larry Hughes would be allstars. Casey Jacobson, and the Obannon brothers,

did have to check if Larry was an all star. you are right he wasn't but dude was pretty good. LeBron just made him stand around an watch on O.

COOLbeans
04-05-2017, 10:52 PM
did have to check if Larry was an all star. you are right he wasn't but dude was pretty good. LeBron just made him stand around an watch on O.

he had a couple of fun years with gilbert arenas. other than that i think he was a roll player

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2017, 08:00 AM

I felt like Penny was the clear-cut number two pick, and what's more, picking him actually meant getting Chris Webber, as long as you were willing to cough up another pick to go along with it.

Bradley was a gamble, and I think he warranted a top-ten pick, especially given his unique size, but he also hadn't played ball for a year or something at that point.

He had 12-year career, and started in over half the games he played. Obviously given his size he got a lot of blocked shots, and he got his share of rebounds. That said, he had a disgustingly low FG% for a guy his size who really only needs to drop the ball into the hole below his hands.

He gave more than you can fairly expect from most lottery picks, and perhaps even with the number 4 or 5 pick, I would have gambled on him, but that year it should have been Webber and Penny, and then Mashburn.

There were some other strong prospects like Vin Baker, Hurley and Cheaney, and obviously Allan Houston (who wasn't expected to go high but likely should have), but of those guys, only Allan actually made something impressive with his career, and he wasn't high on anybody's draft board that year.

I don't think Bradley was so much of a bust, as Philly was just stupid for picking him that high when everybody knew what his limitations would be.

Penny and Mash had much more to offer.

kobe4thewinbang
04-06-2017, 11:35 PM
I said McLemore because peeps were saying "Oh, he's the new Ray Allen, his perfect stroke, his athleticism." And all we've gotten is flashes. His FG% is horrible last I checked, not sure how this season's % is, but last year was horrible. And he's not even like a Gordon Hayward kind of guy, or a Kyle Korver/Devin Booker situation. He just hasn't met those comparisons to Ray Allen, whatsoever, despite his tough upbringing and raw talent. I blame the Kings.

lol, please
04-06-2017, 11:38 PM
Guys who did bust:

Hasheem Thatbeet: His guy was weak and terrible at basketball. He was literal just tall

Johnny Flynn: real short, no jumpshot mmmmm

Sheldon Williams: Clearly a college player. Not that long, no range, scored almost all his bucket in college by getting a seal and turning for lay in. Smart player but clearly not an 5 pick.

Guys i was totally wrong on who busted

Courtney Alexander: loved him. thought this guy had star written all over him

Andre Iguodala: not a real bust but another guy i thought had star written all over him

Rashad McCants: I admit i thought he was really good.

I thought Ekpe Udoh would become a unanimous top 3 defender in the league.

I also thought Nedovic would be Curry 2.0

prodigy
04-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Thought would beast but they busted hard.

Donyell Marshall (beast-thought he would be what a poor mans Durant would be) was trash
Joe Smith (beast) was trash
Shawn Respert (thought he would be a borderline allstar) was trash
Jason Williams (motorcycle crash)
Yinka Dare ( beast) was trash
Greg Oden (fragile)
Derrick Williams (Thought he would be a poor mans Blake Griffin) Just not that caliber.

Marshall avg 11-6. i wouldn't say hes a trash player be any means. Ya not a beast, but def a player teams wanted.

Joe Smith another guy avg 11-6 a game. not a trash player.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Thought Beasley would beast.

Knew Wesley Johnson would bust.

ewing
04-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Doug McDermott been a disappointment for me. I thought he would at least be an impact big time bench scorer, i guess he can still be that but he isn't where i thought he'd be

Chronz
04-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Knew would bust
Royce White-self explanatory

Thought would beast
Orlando Johnson-impressive rookie year, thought he would supplant Stephenson in the lineup. Strong, could shoot and handle the ball, played defense. It had to be drugs or something for him to wash out of the league.

Man i remember beasting with orlando off the bench in 2k

jason6692
04-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Thpught rpdrigue burbois would kill esp when he scored 40 vs GS. I kmew dion waiters would suck

LOb0
04-09-2017, 09:56 PM
I thought Marshon Brooks was going to be somebody. Not somebody playing in China.