PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry on the court in final minutes of blowout

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Can somebody please explain this to me?

Your team is up by 20+ with under five minutes to go: why are your starters still in the game?

Curry was still in the game as it was coming to a close. Was 40 points that important in a league where it seems to happen every night and Curry is nowhere near leading the league in scoring or achieve some rare milestone?

Did Kerr not learn anything from Thibs letting D-Rose chase that triple-double in a game that was already decided?

This just seems like bad decision making. That is prime time to let you bench get out there and build some confidence and gain experience.

I love Kerr... but this just seemed stupid. Nothing happened, true, but had something went down...

Thoughts?

Scoots
04-03-2017, 11:51 AM
The Warriors were up 22, the Wizards cut that to 9 so Kerr put Curry back in to stop the bleeding. They have lost games like that before. He'd rather give Curry the whole 4th off, but it wasn't a blowout anymore when he put him back in.

WaDe03
04-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Curry needed the 40 and Green needed the triple double.

colinskik
04-03-2017, 12:51 PM
This is a total non-issue. I'll never understand why players and coaches get upset at the perception that the other team is trying to embarrass them. This is professional sports -- if you don't like getting blown out by 40, then play harder. Fans are here to see the Currys on the world, and I'm sure they enjoyed seeing him on the court.

nastynice
04-03-2017, 12:53 PM
The Warriors were up 22, the Wizards cut that to 9 so Kerr put Curry back in to stop the bleeding. They have lost games like that before. He'd rather give Curry the whole 4th off, but it wasn't a blowout anymore when he put him back in.

Haha, exactly. Wiz made a push, dubs put starters back out, opened the gap again.

It's funny tho, the things people like to criticize...yup, he was chasing 40, lol

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2017, 01:21 PM
This is a total non-issue. I'll never understand why players and coaches get upset at the perception that the other team is trying to embarrass them. This is professional sports -- if you don't like getting blown out by 40, then play harder. Fans are here to see the Currys on the world, and I'm sure they enjoyed seeing him on the court.

I don't care about the 'embarrassing them' bit. I mean... if you're team is so bad that they lose by 69 points, that's on them, not the team that beat them. This isn't as middle-school game.

My concern is with leaving your starters in during a game that is out of reach and risking injury.

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2017, 01:30 PM

That's fair in the middle of the 4th, but I'm talking about the closing minutes. I mean, they were up by 15 or 14 with 3 minutes to go. Why leave important guys in there for that long.

It seems like a needless risk. I'd hate to see Curry get D-Rosed heading into a playoffs during a game that's already in hand.

You'd have to play the worst 3 minutes in NBA history to give up a 15 point lead in three minutes. That other team only has 4, maybe 5 positions, meaning if you miss EVERY shot, and they hit 3's EVERY time, then you only need one stop to prevent a tie.

tredigs
04-03-2017, 03:19 PM
It was Curry's standard time to re-enter the game (6 minute mark of the 4th). And the Wiz had cut an 18 point lead to 9 when they decided to re enter him.

Lol at a Curry/Warriors stat pad bash thread though. Of all players and teams, I can't think of many that put less emphasis on their stats.

colinskik
04-03-2017, 03:55 PM
I don't care about the 'embarrassing them' bit. I mean... if you're team is so bad that they lose by 69 points, that's on them, not the team that beat them. This isn't as middle-school game.

My concern is with leaving your starters in during a game that is out of reach and risking injury.

I think your POV is one that has been exacerbated over the years. I mean why play anyone at all until the playoffs because, you know, they could get injured...

Scoots
04-03-2017, 03:59 PM
It was a 9 point game at 4:50 left in the game, and down the stretch he was mostly just standing at the side ... they could have taken him out for the last 3 minutes.

Scoots
04-03-2017, 04:02 PM
As for the Wizards complaints about late 3s in a blowout.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zC0TPNgFW8Y?wmode=transparent&rel=0&autohide=1&showinfo=0&enablejsapi=1

colinskik
04-03-2017, 05:02 PM
As for the Wizards complaints about late 3s in a blowout.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zC0TPNgFW8Y?wmode=transparent&rel=0&autohide=1&showinfo=0&enablejsapi=1

HAHA -- nice!

Smells of sour grapes by the Wiz.

lol, please
04-03-2017, 05:58 PM
It was Curry's standard time to re-enter the game (6 minute mark of the 4th). And the Wiz had cut an 18 point lead to 9 when they decided to re enter him.

Lol at a Curry/Warriors stat pad bash thread though. Of all players and teams, I can't think of many that put less emphasis on their stats.
:laugh2:

The TS is legit reaching here, people looking to hate on the Warriors will reach for literally anything to try and spark a flame.

MygirlhatesCod
04-03-2017, 06:14 PM
im more disappointed that he didn't play the whole game with the way he was killing it last night.

CityofChaos
04-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Boo hoo. Gortat threw Pachulia like a rag doll and inadvertently injured KD. No foul let alone flagrant called. Did any of the Warriors players complain?

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I think your POV is one that has been exacerbated over the years. I mean why play anyone at all until the playoffs because, you know, they could get injured...

You know that's not a fair analogy You wouldn't even get into the playoffs with that approach.

I'm talking 3 minutes left, game in hand, why play a starter and risk injuring him when the game is already won?

ewing
04-03-2017, 10:46 PM
:laugh2:

The TS is legit reaching here, people looking to hate on the Warriors will reach for literally anything to try and spark a flame.

I actually agree. If Wash didn't cut the lead we wouldn't have seen him again. The only thing that deserves mild criticism is MCgee launching the 3. The Warriors were having a little too much fun at the end and Mcgee deserved to get pushed. He did. Good, who cares???

tredigs
04-03-2017, 10:54 PM
You know that's not a fair analogy You wouldn't even get into the playoffs with that approach.

I'm talking 3 minutes left, game in hand, why play a starter and risk injuring him when the game is already won?
What the hell are you going on about. Washington cut it to single digits in the 4th so Curry went in at his usual juncture to help secure the win. You're over here acting like it was a 30 point blowout. It was a 12 point game with ~4 to go. That's not a lock win, I assure you. You can tell you didn't even watch this game, yet you're making some strange thread crying about it.

effen5
04-03-2017, 11:20 PM

Your team is up by 20+ with under five minutes to go: why are your starters still in the game?

Curry was still in the game as it was coming to a close. Was 40 points that important in a league where it seems to happen every night and Curry is nowhere near leading the league in scoring or achieve some rare milestone?

Did Kerr not learn anything from Thibs letting D-Rose chase that triple-double in a game that was already decided?

This just seems like bad decision making. That is prime time to let you bench get out there and build some confidence and gain experience.

I love Kerr... but this just seemed stupid. Nothing happened, true, but had something went down...

Thoughts?

Unsure what game you are talking about in regards to Thibs....You mean when he tore his acl where they were up by 12 and the 6ers were coming back in a PLAYOFF GAME? That game?

mavwar53
04-04-2017, 12:09 AM

Thoughts?

Hate much?

ewing
04-04-2017, 12:10 AM
^^^ snap!!

Saddletramp
04-04-2017, 12:43 AM
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Nine point gamecwhen he came back. Finished out the game because there was hardly any time left. When and by what score is the cutoff? Up by 20 with 5 minutes left?

Some GS hate is warranted, some isn't. This isn't.

nastynice
04-04-2017, 11:50 AM
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Nine point gamecwhen he came back. Finished out the game because there was hardly any time left. When and by what score is the cutoff? Up by 20 with 5 minutes left?

Some GS hate is warranted, some isn't. This isn't.

Dannnnnnng op!! You know the hate is bad when you got saddle sticking up for the Warriors!! lol

nastynice
04-04-2017, 11:53 AM

If I were an owner/gm, I wouldn't even let my star players play DURING the playoffs.

Better safe than sorry

Vinylman
04-04-2017, 11:59 AM
He must not have needed rest

Scoots
04-04-2017, 02:23 PM
If I were an owner/gm, I wouldn't even let my star players play DURING the playoffs.

Better safe than sorry

Saw a April Fools "news" post about that very thing.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Thoughts?

I didn't watch the game but from reading the posts it seems pretty obvious the game was not clinched and the Wizards had a chance. I have been coaching middle school and high school sports for a decade and have seen some ridiculous comebacks and that's with kids who have nowhere near the ability to get on a scoring run like a pro team. What was McGrady's comeback against the Spurs? 13 points in 35 seconds? I've watched the youtube clip a million times so I know I'm either spot-on or very close. Everyone's threshold for risking a lose is different. If it was 20 points with 2 minutes. Then yes you pull them at that point but even then there are situations where the game doesn't REALLY get out of hand until there is about a minute left and the clock is running so you don't even bother to sub in or out. I see no problem with it.

Better safe than sorry

:laugh: That's good.

KnicksorBust
04-04-2017, 02:41 PM
My rough "game over" sub pattern:

Up/Down 15 with a minute left = Subs
Up/Down 20 with 2 minutes = Subs
Up/Down 25 with 3,4,5 minutes = Subs

I've subbed in tighter games but that's the safe zone imo.