PDA

View Full Version : Scoring Champs and NBA titles

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Since 56, Only three dudes have lead the league in scoring and won a title in the same year: Jordan (6X), Kareem (1X), and Shaq (1X).

Is this going to happen ever again? It looked like a sure thing last season with Steph Curry leading the league in scoring. He would have been the first player to accomplish that in almost two decades.

Is this tread just an anomaly? Or is there an inherent flaw in a team that relies that much on one guy, even if he happens to be a stellar scorer?

Thoughts?

Interesting note: The last time a rebounding champ won title was the last year a scoring champ won a title: Jordan and Rodman.

Rebound champs and NBA champs: Rodman (X3) Moses (X1) Chamberlain (X2) Russell (X3) Mikan (X1). Slightly more probably, but not much.

And it's been 30 years since an assist leader won a title (87: Magic).

Magic did that once; Cousy twice.

dhopisthename
03-30-2017, 12:01 PM
A huge part of the problem with things like scoring leaders is that they often come from players doing it on either bad teams or teams that are missing pieces. So someone like Westbrook this year has a massive usage rate because he team has no chance at winning unless he scores a lot.

Vinylman
03-30-2017, 12:24 PM
not surprised by the stat but I was wondering if you expand it to the top 3 scorers or even 5 what does that do to the numbers...

scoring is usually about usage anyway...

I would look the numbers up myself but don't know where to go.

PowerHouse
03-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Since 56, Only two dudes have lead the league in scoring and won a title in the same year: Jordan (6X), Kareem (1X).

False.

Shaq in 2000.

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2017, 04:27 PM
False.

Shaq in 2000.

I'll correct that. Thanks PowerHouse! How did I miss that?