PDA

View Full Version : How well would the D'Antoni Suns do in the league today?

Raps18-19 Champ
03-27-2017, 10:25 PM
Had a debate about this with a friend last week. Suns had 2 60 win teams under D'Antoni, who has had a lot of influenced on the style of basketball played now.

You got the 2005 team that broke out with 62 wins and lost to the Spurs in the WCF

C - Amar'e Stoudemire
PF - Shawn Marion
SF - Quentin Richardson
SG - Joe Johnson
PG - Steve Nash
6th - Leandro Barbosa

or

the team that won 61 games and lost to the Spurs in that series where Suns players got suspended (there are some who think they would've won the title that year had they not been suspended).

C - Amar'e Stoudemire
PF - Boris Diaw
SF - Shawn Marion
SG - Raja Bell
PG - Steve Nash
6th - Leandro Barbosa

How would each team do in today's NBA (basically replace the current Suns with them)?

kobe4thewinbang
03-29-2017, 05:20 PM
Clearly much better than the Devin Booker Show of current times. I wanna say the second team with more defensive players would do slightly better because in today's league you can score all you want but defense is arguably the most important asset. Look at everybody worrying about the defense by the Cavaliers this year.

Both teams were #1 scoring-wise but the second choice was ranked 13th instead of 17th defensively.

The first team is a bit of a mess if you ask me...don't even know who a handful of them even were.

Leandro Barbosa
Zarko Cabarkapa
Steven Hunter
Jim Jackson
Casey Jacobsen
Joe Johnson
Maciej Lampe
Shawn Marion
Walter McCarty
Steve Nash
Bo Outlaw
Smush Parker
Quentin Richardson
Paul Shirley
Amar'e Stoudemire
Yuta Tabuse
Jake Voskuhl
Jackson Vroman

But the other team:

Marcus Banks
Leandro Barbosa
Raja Bell
Pat Burke
Boris Diaw
James Jones
Jumaine Jones
Sean Marks
Steve Nash
Eric Piatkowski
Jalen Rose
Amar'e Stoudemire
Kurt Thomas

More fine-tuned, less chuckers (Johnson, Q-Rich). Q-Rich shot .389% that year and Johnson was being outscored by Shawn freaking Marion. Shed the dead weight, ya know? Seems it took them that 05-06 season to iron out the kinks as they fell to #2 scoring-wise and 16th defensively.

Lakers + Giants
03-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Same, they still didn't play defense. Just because warriors are an offensive juggernaut doesn't mean they can't defend. Warriors style works cuz they can defend too, PHX couldn't.

Spurs or Dubs would destroy em in a series IMO

tredigs
03-29-2017, 07:11 PM
They're a west team so just about the same. Bit better off than the Current Rockets most likely, but would fall short of a Finals birth.

mrblisterdundee
03-29-2017, 07:25 PM
I'd take the 2006-07 team over this year's Rockets, just barely. Amare and Nash as alphas are better than just Harden. they sucked at defense, but had a couple good defenders in Bell and Marion. Barbosa was basically the equivalent of Williams.
But yeah; they'd still get beat by the Spurs or Warriors.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-29-2017, 08:26 PM
I'd take the 2006-07 team over this year's Rockets, just barely. Amare and Nash as alphas are better than just Harden. they sucked at defense, but had a couple good defenders in Bell and Marion. Barbosa was basically the equivalent of Williams.
But yeah; they'd still get beat by the Spurs or Warriors.

I agree with the Rockets and Warriors but I don't know if I agree with the Spurs beating them. I think with the league being faster, it'll enhance their offense more than it exposes their defense. I think they're a live dog against the Spurs and would still be a 60+ team (friend said they'd be 7/8th seed and would be lucky to get past the JAzz.

mrblisterdundee
03-29-2017, 10:53 PM
I agree with the Rockets and Warriors but I don't know if I agree with the Spurs beating them. I think with the league being faster, it'll enhance their offense more than it exposes their defense. I think they're a live dog against the Spurs and would still be a 60+ team (friend said they'd be 7/8th seed and would be lucky to get past the JAzz.

The Spurs have a better defensive and offensive rating this season than they did in 2006-07, when they held the Suns to no more than 106 points in a game, won the regular season series and beat them in the playoffs. They've already beat the Rockets three out of four meetings.
I don't think it would be easy, but I think the Spurs have the personnel to shut down key members of the Suns' supporting cast and make Nash and Stoudemire hero ball. I don't think that's a successful strategy against the Spurs.