PDA

View Full Version : Warriors secure home court for finals (if they make it there)

Scoots
03-27-2017, 09:45 AM
The narrative I've been seeing is that the Warriors are struggling, but with 1/8th of the season to go home court is secured.

Not that it helped last time.

COOLbeans
03-27-2017, 10:47 AM
I thought they have to beat San Antonio this week and pull out another win during this 5 game stretch. Am I mistaken?

FlashBolt
03-27-2017, 11:07 AM
I thought they have to beat San Antonio this week and pull out another win during this 5 game stretch. Am I mistaken?

I'm assuming he means vs the East (if they make it there). Obviously they don't have home court advantage if they don't make it to the Finals.

mightybosstone
03-27-2017, 11:27 AM
The narrative I've been seeing is that the Warriors are struggling, but with 1/8th of the season to go home court is secured.

Mmm... I don't think there's necessarily a narrative that they're struggling right now. Two weeks ago, there certainly was. But lately it's been business as usual for Golden State despite not having Durant.

Also, even if that narrative is a thing, I think we have to put what "struggling" is for this team into context. Remember, this is the team that broke the regular season win total record last season and is on pace for 67+ wins for the third consecutive season. Any time a team this good loses two in a row, it's pretty much considered "struggling" by the standards it set by dominating the league for three straight years.

Have they looked a little vulnerable over the last month? Sure. But they're still easily the favorite to win the Finals with Durant, and they might still be considered the favorite to win the title without him.

tredigs
03-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Some particular posters overreacted to their poor form on a very tough road trip (Curry/Klay somehow syncing their worst shooting stretch of their career at this time), but I think those who follow the team understood that it would be a short term struggle.

They'll be tested again coming up here though. Houston/SAS on a road b2b, then Houston again a day later. If they go 1-2 or 0-3 then HCA in the West is still open, but if they win 2 of 3+ then they can rest a bit and still secure HCA.

SfgiantsJD3
03-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Looks like Warriors, Spurs and Maybe Houston would all have HCA coming out of the west

Scoots
03-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Mmm... I don't think there's necessarily a narrative that they're struggling right now. Two weeks ago, there certainly was. But lately it's been business as usual for Golden State despite not having Durant.

Also, even if that narrative is a thing, I think we have to put what "struggling" is for this team into context. Remember, this is the team that broke the regular season win total record last season and is on pace for 67+ wins for the third consecutive season. Any time a team this good loses two in a row, it's pretty much considered "struggling" by the standards it set by dominating the league for three straight years.

Have they looked a little vulnerable over the last month? Sure. But they're still easily the favorite to win the Finals with Durant, and they might still be considered the favorite to win the title without him.

I don't recall which major media NBA power list dropped the Warriors to 7th best in the NBA last week. The Warriors are playing well again, though still struggling in aspects of how they are playing. It seems things are more up in the air overall this year than the last two.

COOLbeans
03-27-2017, 01:50 PM

People 3 weeks agon on this site were saying the dubs werent the favorite with or without Durant. You may have not been one of them, but 7 game winning streak aside, many on psd and on national front were saying dubs would lose to Cleveland certainly to the Spurs and even possibly the Rockets

tredigs
03-27-2017, 02:01 PM
I don't recall which major media NBA power list dropped the Warriors to 7th best in the NBA last week. The Warriors are playing well again, though still struggling in aspects of how they are playing. It seems things are more up in the air overall this year than the last two.

They're without a top 3 player in the game and winning every game by double digits (6 in a row by 12+ I think). It's not ideal that they're without KD going into the home stretch though. They still have a lot of kinks to work out. In short, they're susceptible but again the clear favorite (and as we know that is not always enough).

tredigs
03-27-2017, 02:05 PM
People 3 weeks agon on this site were saying the dubs werent the favorite with or without Durant. You may have not been one of them, but 7 game winning streak aside, many on psd and on national front were saying dubs would lose to Cleveland certainly to the Spurs and even possibly the Rockets

Lol rest assure, he was a band-leader in that mantra. I've seen many posts questioning whether the Dubs without KD can make it out of the first round if they go against the Nuggets (which they will). Didn't realize Bogut was so integral to the 73 win Warriors on a national front until then.

ewing
03-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Why are you guys so defensive? Everyone knows your good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tredigs
03-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's Scoot's roundabout faux diplomatic way of trying to make a Cavs-bash thread. And he's not wrong. Two weeks ago the conversation here was a bastion of Warriors hate/skepticism (which will ramp up again when they likely lose to SAS on their b2b in a couple days). Fans of the favorites are allowed to get defensive too.

Scoots
03-27-2017, 04:31 PM

I went out of my way to NOT be defensive, even saying that home court didn't help last time.

Scoots
03-27-2017, 04:34 PM
It's Scoot's roundabout faux diplomatic way of trying to make a Cavs-bash thread. And he's not wrong. Two weeks ago the conversation here was a bastion of Warriors hate/skepticism (which will ramp up again when they likely lose to SAS on their b2b in a couple days). Fans of the favorites are allowed to get defensive too.

No it's not a Cavs-bash thread at all. I just found it amazing that they are not close to wrapping up the West but have home court for the finals. And I figured it might lead to discussion of possible playoff matchups.

ewing
03-27-2017, 04:57 PM

I remember one thread where "IKNOWHOOPS", that should say enough, predicted the Cavs would win in a you heard it hear first tone and everyone was like well, they could, i guess???? you guys are starting to take the mold of LeBron fans a couple years ago where not only was everyone supposed to acknowledge that you are good but we are also supposed worship your team and root for them. Funny thing is the Warriors have guys that i always liked (i mean before the team was great). I followed both Curry and Klay in College. DLee came from NY, I love Green's game, you have to root for Livingston but honestly the fans are making them less likable. the only narrative about the Warriors is they are really good. every once is a while someone might say something to try and get some clicks but they have been the clear favorite to win the whole time.

Sactown
03-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Of course people are rooting against the warriors , seeing the same teams win year after year is demoralizing. How fun would it be to see Denver win it all?

mightybosstone
03-27-2017, 11:35 PM
Yeah, but power rankings are generally based more on "what have you done for me lately" than a total culmination of what's transpired over the year or a team's actual long-term championship potential. You can't ever take them that seriously. And after they **** the bed there for a couple of weeks, they deserved to drop a few spots.

Oh, I was totally one of the people saying I didn't think they were the favorites without Durant. My tune has changed now that I've seen them recover some of their swagger from last season, but there was a legitimate concern there for a while, and I think that concern was deserved considering how different the makeup of this roster is from last year and how poor they were playing.

Gun to my head, I'd probably still pick the Warriors as the favorite to make it out of the West without Durant. But if I had to take Golden State or the field, I'd call it a coin flip. And with a healthy Durant, it's no contest; they're the obvious favorites and there isn't a close second. However, if Durant comes back at less than 80 percent, I actually think it could be more detrimental than this team playing on all cylinders without him at all.

nastynice
03-28-2017, 07:46 PM
not only was everyone supposed to acknowledge that you are good but we are also supposed worship your team and root for them.

Basically this :nod: