PDA

View Full Version : Best teams right now if players were restored back into their primes

dee85
03-25-2017, 11:51 PM
Who would be the best teams in the East & West if aging players were restored back into their prime forms with the current players in their prime forms? How would you also rank them in order?

Cavaliers
Kyrie Irving
J.R. Smith(Nuggets/Knicks)
LeBron James
Kevin Love(Timberwolves)
Tristan Thompson
Bench: Deron Williams(Jazz), Richard Jefferson(Nets/Bucks), Kyle Korver(76ers/Jazz/Bulls/Hawks), Channing Frye(Suns), Derrick Williams(Timberwolves)

Warriors
Stephen Curry
Klay Thompson
Kevin Durant
Draymond Green
Zaza Pachulia(Hawks)
Bench: Andre Iguodala(76ers/Nuggets), David West(Hornets), Matt Barnes, Shaun Livingston, JaVale McGee(Wizards/Nuggets)

Pacers
Jeff Teague
Monta Ellis(Warriors/Bucks/Mavericks)
Paul George
Thaddeus Young
Al Jefferson(Timberwolves/Jazz/Bobcats)
Bench: Rodney Stuckey(Pistons), Aaron Brooks(Rockets), C.J. Miles

Clippers
Chris Paul(Hornets)
Jamal Crawford
Paul Pierce(Celtics)
Blake Griffin
DeAndre Jordan
Bench: Raymond Felton(Bobcats/Knicks), J.J. Redick, Brandon Bass(Magic/Celtics), Marreese Speights, Austin Rivers

Grizzlies
Mike Conley
Vince Carter(Raptors/Nets)
Chandler Parsons(Rockets)
Zach Randolph
Marc Gasol
Bench: Tony Allen

Knicks
Derrick Rose(MVP)
Courtney Lee
Carmelo Anthony
Kristaps Porzingis
Joakim Noah(Bulls)
Bench: Sasha Vujacic(LOL)

Spurs
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Kawhi Leonard
LaMarcus Aldridge
Pau Gasol(Grizzlies/Lakers)
Bench: David Lee(Knicks/Warriors), Danny Green, Patty Mills

Raps18-19 Champ
03-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Easily the Warriors. Then the Spurs. Then Clippers/Cavs.

ewing
03-26-2017, 07:37 AM
Spurs, they are pretty good now and you are turning Gasol and Manu back into supersrtars.

KnicksorBust
03-26-2017, 08:03 AM
I am just happy the Knicks were an option :laugh:

KnicksorBust
03-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Easily the Warriors. Then the Spurs. Then Clippers/Cavs.

Dont sleep on Cavs. Prime Deron and RJ on the bench is crazy. Move JR smiths chucking *** to the bench.

ewing
03-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Dont sleep on Cavs. Prime Deron and RJ on the bench is crazy. Move JR smiths chucking *** to the bench.

yeah, these guys on the Warriors are already in there prime. Its the other teams that take significant steps forward.

bostncelts34
03-26-2017, 08:25 AM
SAS would be a pretty good pick. They are a great team already, then you add into it a prime Parker, Manu, Gasol, Lee, Miller

lakerfan85
03-26-2017, 09:14 AM
The Spurs would destroy everyone else if TP, Manu, and Pau were all in their primes..

Chronz
03-26-2017, 09:55 AM
Lol at the way to defeat the warriors. Just need a rejuvenation machine

Heediot
03-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Memphis looks intriguing too. I think with a prime Vince and Parsons they give the bigs and conley some much needed boost.

People should remember that David West and Iggy were fringe allstars in their primes.

I don't know which squad is the best but it would be interesting to see all these guys go at it whe they were at their peaks.

Heediot
03-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Clippers from a few years back with Chauncey, Odom, Grant Hill, and Bledsoe on their roster would challenge these current rosters, the current Clippers not so much.

Edit: Actually with a Prime Pierce, the Clippers have somewhat of a chance. Prime Crawford is little bit of a boost.

valade16
03-26-2017, 10:53 AM
The team that improves the most is the Clippers with a Paul/Redick/Pierce/Griffin/Jordan lineup.

Best is Warriors/Cavs/Spurs, much like real life

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2017, 09:50 PM
The Cavs.

Best PG rotation in NBA history. Best SF in NBA history.

Richard Jefferson, an All-Star, backing ups LBJ.

Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson sharing PF: Love spreading the floor and moving the ball and rebounding; Thompson defending and rebounding. Good combo.

Korver and Smith mixing it up at the 2.

And I'll given them Larry Sanders and Bogut in the middle.

That's two deep at every position. Though Bogut might not count because he got release due to injury. Still... all in their prime.. can see that team losing to anybody.

Heediot
03-27-2017, 07:24 AM
The Cavs.

Best PG rotation in NBA history. Best SF in NBA history.

Richard Jefferson, an All-Star, backing ups LBJ.

Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson sharing PF: Love spreading the floor and moving the ball and rebounding; Thompson defending and rebounding. Good combo.

Korver and Smith mixing it up at the 2.

And I'll given them Larry Sanders and Bogut in the middle.

That's two deep at every position. Though Bogut might not count because he got release due to injury. Still... all in their prime.. can see that team losing to anybody.

I would argue Davis West and Iggy were a better duo in their primes vs. RJ and Deron. Yeah Cavs are deeper though and Warriors still have a hole at the 5, they can small ball with west and dray manning the front court and have Javelle and Zaza picking up some minutes depending on matchups.

It'd be close between a few of these teams. Tough call for me personally. Talent helps a lot but I would like to see how these guys can gel. When the talent is close its more about chemistry and who makes plays down the stretch.

mightybosstone
03-27-2017, 08:15 AM
The team that improves the most is the Clippers with a Paul/Redick/Pierce/Griffin/Jordan lineup.

Best is Warriors/Cavs/Spurs, much like real life

How do you figure? Paul isn't that far removed from his peak. Pierce is the only player in the starting five who would be substantially better. Meanwhile, the Spurs are taking three role players and turning them into Hall of Famers at their peaks (Pau, Parker and Manu) to pair with Kawhi and Aldridge. That's easily the biggest improvement.

ewing
03-27-2017, 08:40 AM
How do you figure? Paul isn't that far removed from his peak. Pierce is the only player in the starting five who would be substantially better. Meanwhile, the Spurs are taking three role players and turning them into Hall of Famers at their peaks (Pau, Parker and Manu) to pair with Kawhi and Aldridge. That's easily the biggest improvement.

I agree. I think people are trying to be cleaver. The Spurs jump is huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heediot
03-27-2017, 09:33 AM

I think that Clippers starting 5 with Pierce in his prime could hold their own against any of the other starting 5's. Cavs are iffy at the 2 guard. Warrior's iffy at the 5 spot. Spurs though seem solid all around, except for maybe rim protection and the LMA and Pau may not be as fleet footed as one would like to defend on the switches. I don't know about this season but in the past few years the Clippers starting five had some of the best numbers when they played together in the league and that's without a prime Pierce (so one has to consider that).

The question to me is how would the bench hold up? Even if rotations dwindle down to 8 men, how much worse is a Prime Felton/Crawford/Bass/Luc compares to the Cavs Deron/Korver/RJ/Sanders/Shump/Frye, Warriors Iggy/West/Livingston/Barnes/McGee, Spurs Manu/D. Lee/Mills/Simmons/Murray/Dedmond?? It's a decent bench but it seems to be the weaker(s) one of the 4.

Also one last problem for the Clippers, is mental toughness. They seem to unravel when it matters most. Pierce gives them a guy who is mentally tough and knows what how to play in big moments. Not too sure how much he can help make up. When talent is close it comes down to chemistry and who can close out games.

Hellcrooner
03-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Spurs

JasonJohnHorn
03-27-2017, 10:36 AM
I agree. I think people are trying to be cleaver. The Spurs jump is huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is certainly an impressive starting five, but the Cavs would be deeper.

Hard call to make.

mightybosstone
03-27-2017, 11:51 AM
I think that Clippers starting 5 with Pierce in his prime could hold their own against any of the other starting 5's. Cavs are iffy at the 2 guard. Warrior's iffy at the 5 spot. Spurs though seem solid all around, except for maybe rim protection and the LMA and Pau may not be as fleet footed as one would like to defend on the switches. I don't know about this season but in the past few years the Clippers starting five had some of the best numbers when they played together in the league and that's without a prime Pierce (so one has to consider that).

The question to me is how would the bench hold up? Even if rotations dwindle down to 8 men, how much worse is a Prime Felton/Crawford/Bass/Luc compares to the Cavs Deron/Korver/RJ/Sanders/Shump/Frye, Warriors Iggy/West/Livingston/Barnes/McGee, Spurs Manu/D. Lee/Mills/Simmons/Murray/Dedmond?? It's a decent bench but it seems to be the weaker(s) one of the 4.

Also one last problem for the Clippers, is mental toughness. They seem to unravel when it matters most. Pierce gives them a guy who is mentally tough and knows what how to play in big moments. Not too sure how much he can help make up. When talent is close it comes down to chemistry and who can close out games.

But the Spurs today are already a substantially better basketball team than the Clippers. Even if peak Pierce is the best player out of he, Pau, Manu and Parker, he alone does not make up the difference of a significantly better San Antonio team adding those three guys at their peaks.

Heediot
03-27-2017, 12:06 PM
But the Spurs today are already a substantially better basketball team than the Clippers. Even if peak Pierce is the best player out of he, Pau, Manu and Parker, he alone does not make up the difference of a significantly better San Antonio team adding those three guys at their peaks.

Yeah, they will be able to put up a fight but I think they are the weakest team of the 4.

celtNYpatsHeels
03-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Starters only then it's the clippers or spurs. Include the bench then it's the Cavs

valade16
03-27-2017, 02:01 PM

The way I was thinking is that the Spurs are already great so they'd improve from great to very great whereas the Clippers would improve from Above Average to then joining the ranks of the elite since they would get a guy contributing 3 PPG and turn him into a Top 30-40 player all-time to plug the one thing their team is missing (a wing).

If you look at the difference between each player's current BPM and their best BPM it's:

Pau Gasol
current BPM: 3.6
best BPM: 5.4
Difference: +1.8

Tony Parker
current BPM: -2.7
best BPM: 3.1
Difference: +5.8

Manu Ginobili
current BPM: 2.1
best BPM: 8.1
Difference: +6.0

That's a combined +13.6

Paul Pierce
current BPM: -4.8
best BPM: 4.9
Difference: +9.7

Chris Paul
current BPM: 8.4
best BPM: 11.2
Difference: +2.8

That's a combined +12.5

So the difference between those 3 and Paul/Pierce is close, which was my point. The Spurs get to take 2-3 players who are still quality contributors and role players and improve them whereas the Clippers get to take someone who not only isn't a contributor, he is terrible and turn him into an all-time great.

I also think Chris Paul going from a Top 5 PG in the NBA to a Top 5 PG All-Time is a bigger improvement than we realize.

The Spurs would be very good though and definitely have a case to improve the most.

tredigs
03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
This feels very off-season-y. Playoffs are around the bend boys. Gear up.

Vee-Rex
03-27-2017, 02:35 PM
No homer but I'd have to pick the Cavs and maybe the Spurs. Spurs for obvious reasons, but the Cavs would benefit from having a prime, pre-ankle injury Deron Williams who was good both offensively and defensively. Dude was considered top 3 point guard in the league for some time and would abuse Chris Paul in their h2h matchups. He would start over Irving. Irving as a 6th man would be pretty nuts.

Williams/Irving
Jefferson?/Smith/Shumpert
James/Korver
Love/Frye
Sanders/Thompson

I think a prime Larry Sanders gives us defensive rim protection which is something an undersized Thompson struggles with.

Top it all off with a Prime LeBron who could do 40+ minutes at an elite level on both ends of the floor.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-27-2017, 10:31 PM

Highest I got Cavs is 3rd. Spurs running 5 HOF players while Warriors have 2 MVP players on the team with West being able to play C (and prime Iggy still on the bench). Clippers got a prime Paul Pierce but not sure if that's better than Cavs. Cavs can run Irving, Dwill, RJeff, Lebron and Love w/ Korver on the bench but not sure if I feel that team.