PDA

View Full Version : Shaq bitter about lack of records/awards

JasonJohnHorn
03-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Shaq recently went on about how he should have won more MVP awards, should have been a unanimous MVP, and should have more points (citing having missed three seasons of injury).

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/shaq-apparently-bothered-he-didnt-win-more-mvps-says-he-deserves-steve-nashs/

I feel like if Shaq had put the work into his game that K Malone did, or Jordan, or had the work ethic of Kobe or LeBron, or the dedication to developing his skill set like Hakeem, or Garnett, or had the defensive commitment like Kidd or Duncan, that he would have easily walked away with multiple MVPs and would have hoisted up eve more trophies.

But he seemed content leaning on his physical gifts, and now he's whining about not getting enough.

He doesn't once concede that perhaps the injuries he's complaining about were the result of his lack of conditioning (Grant Hill and Penny saw more years lost to fluke injuries: Shaq's got no reason to complain with the blessings he's had in that regard).

And he complains that Nash shouldn't have any MVP awards, but Nash never had the physical gifts Shaq did and instead honed his skills to make his team better.

Shaq was great... he's an all-time great, but more than any all-time great, he leaned on his physical gifts.

Now he's complaining about not getting enough credit for it.

Your thoughts? Does he have a point? Does he need to STFU? Or both?

More-Than-Most
03-25-2017, 08:39 PM
should have stopped relying on just physical force and improved his game and body... Kobe got pissed numerous times when he showed up to camp over weight and out of shape... Imagine Shaq with the kobe/lebron work ethic? I dont mind guys relying on their physical ability but had he worked on his weaker areas of his game and stayed in shape throughout and the injuries might have been limited

Quinnsanity
03-25-2017, 08:46 PM
He should've been unanimous in 2000. That's it. That's the only concession I'm willing to make with him.

In what ****ing universe does Shaq deserve Nash's first MVP? I'm not giving a 23 and 10 center who played minimal defense (yes, by then Shaq was a non-factor on D) an MVP, I just refuse to do it. There are so many better candidates even when you take Nash out of the equation. Year 2 LeBron put up 27-7-7. Amar'e put up 26-9 on 56% shooting. T-Mac, Dirk, even Wade were all better than Shaq that year. Shaq finishing second was strictly because we all hated Kobe. He was not remotely the MVP that year.

I don't like either Shaq or Iverson winning the '01 MVP. They didn't play enough games. I'd rather have 82 games of Duncan that year than Iverson for 70 or Shaq for 74, but if we are throwing games played out the window, Webber was better than both of them (27-11-4 with the best defense of his career on a pre-Bibby Kings team where Peja had just found his footing).

I have no idea how Karl Malone won in 1999, but that doesn't mean Shaq should've won either. I'd take 'Zo that year (less scoring but the best defensive player in the league) or Jason Kidd (17-11-7 with his traditional great defense, carried a really crappy Suns team team into the playoffs).

I get really annoyed when Shaq complains about anything like this. You know why you didn't win MVP every year Shaq? Because you were too fat to play in enough games. You didn't try on defense half of the time. I could care less if Shaq reached his potential or not. What bothers me is Shaq pretending that he did and acting as if he did, that the fact that he could've been the GOAT means we should automatically treat him like he was the GOAT. Just because you chose to be the best player in the 2001 playoffs doesn't mean you were the best player night-to-night in the 2001 regular season. You wanna win MVPs? Then act like a ****ing MVP. Don't sleepwalk through seasons and expect us to celebrate you for it.

TrueFan420
03-25-2017, 08:52 PM
You could have have stopped at Shaq being bitter... He's clearly bitter about a lot of things

Supreme LA
03-26-2017, 06:04 AM
The same people who knock on Shaq for a being bitter & an immature child are the same people who knock Kobe for "forcing" him out of LA. Ironic.

It's been said all along Shaq left LA on his own accord after he couldn't get his way. It's only after he retires that people start to see him for the big baby that he was.

IndyRealist
03-26-2017, 08:57 AM
All he had to do was learn to shoot free throws. If he could hit at 70% pre-rules change there would have been no way to stop him. Easily would have won more awards.

sep11ie
03-26-2017, 09:46 AM
I do agree that Nash should never have won a MVP.

Chronz
03-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Well he's right about him being the unanimous mvp. Right about winning more mvp. But I always felt neither Shaq nor Nash should've been the mvp in 2005. Between the2 it should've been Shaq but overall it was prolly Duncans.

Aside from that, i don't really care. Some will say he didn't reach his full potential but some of you take that too far. He still reached a fair amount of it and he wasn't a compete fat *** the way some of you pretend.

He's better than any of the players that have been named save for mj and that's all that matters to me

Chronz
03-26-2017, 10:14 AM
I do agree that Nash should never have won a MVP.
He should have won Dirks but Dirk should have won his.

valade16
03-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Looking back it seems we took Shaq's dominance for granted and he should have won more MVPs, but we have done that to every dominant player in league history. MJ definitely should have won more MVPs as well.

A big reason Shaq doesn't have the accolades is Shaq, so while I understand his complaint it's also his own fault.

Sly Guy
03-26-2017, 11:07 AM
All he had to do was learn to shoot free throws. If he could hit at 70% pre-rules change there would have been no way to stop him. Easily would have won more awards.

100%

hard to sympathize with a guy when all he had to do was work on the one part of the game where there's no defense, no contact, no running, only repetition.

dhopisthename
03-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I mean look at shaqs games played every year. it was very rare he played 70 games. He only lead the league in win shares twice and one of those was the year that he won the MVP. Shaq also deteriorated at 30 very fast which really hurt his all time stats.

flea
03-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Shaq was the Lebron of the NBA before Lebron - only more lovable because he has a personality. He whines, jumps ship, demands touches, and even though he moved somewhat gracefully into role player status I think it was only because he was so fat that he literally could not play 35 minutes anymore. Plus his decline is marred by his shameless ring-shopping, which is something people rarely criticize him for.

In fact people rarely criticize him for his role in the Kobe drama, which I don't really get. Kobe is Kobe but he's at least a competitor. I don't fault him for getting fed up at times with his roly poly center. Even if Kobe is more at fault for the fracture it's not by much. Neither guy wanted to sacrifice, but it really should have been Shaq offering to sacrifice considering he was getting old (and Kobe wasn't) and he wasn't committed to competition anyway - just numbers.

I think it chafes his willy that he's not the undisputed post-MJ GOAT. He has only himself to blame, since he was very lucky in terms of teammates and situations in his career. I remember him bragging to the media about rings when he had one more than Kobe but you don't hear it so much now that both Kobe and Duncan outpaced him on that front.

TheMightyHumph
03-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Screw Shaq. He decided to become a fat bahstage, leading to his injury history.

He also turned down Rick Barry's help for his free throw shooting.

He made himself what he was, and now he's complaining about it.

lol, please
03-26-2017, 09:04 PM
The disrespect some people in here have for SHAQ is shameful.

Shaq is right for the most part, he was robbed of two MVP's to say the least.

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Well he's right about him being the unanimous mvp. Right about winning more mvp. But I always felt neither Shaq nor Nash should've been the mvp in 2005. Between the2 it should've been Shaq but overall it was prolly Duncans.

Aside from that, i don't really care. Some will say he didn't reach his full potential but some of you take that too far. He still reached a fair amount of it and he wasn't a compete fat *** the way some of you pretend.

He's better than any of the players that have been named save for mj and that's all that matters to me

I feel like given what he accomplished, and his stats, more than one MVP would have been reasonable, but this is what happens when you play your prime years on a roster that has two MVP candidates. It's why KD and Curry will struggle to win a high volume of these awards.

He can be happy he has 4 rings and one MVP, or wish he had 4 MVP and 1 ring. Unfortunately... that's how it often works.

As to winning a unanimous MVP... I'm not sure anybody is really deserving of that, though it there were a case for it, I would say as far as the seasons I've seen, Shaq has the best case (better than Curry or LBJ, though LBJ certainly deserve to he ahead of Melo on every ballot). That said, the subjective nature of that vote and fluid definition of what an MVP is makes it hard to suggest that any player a unanimous award.

I'm critical of Shaq, but I'll also admit how dominant he was and how much he did achieve. The problem is, HE DOESN'T. He's complaining he didn't get enough, when he was one of the most blessed players. The officials let him get away with a half dozen offensive fouls in every game I ever saw him play, and he had All-Star signing up to play alongside him to get rings (Richmond, Payton (twice!), Malone, Rodman, Grant, Mourning, and Walker, as well as talented players like Laettner, Rider, and Jason Williams. And I will admit that none of these guys were at all-star level when he played with them, but they were almost all quality role players that Shaq got to pair with at least one other MVP calibre player: not simply an all-star, but an MVP like Wade or Kobe. Even in Orlando, he had a stacked starting line-up.

He had a lot to work with, and you don't hear him counting his blessings, which is what makes his whining even worse.

That, and he obviously thinks too highly of himself and doesn't respect skilled players. For him to compare himself to LBJ, who busts his @$$ of on both ends every night, and is critical of himself, and puts in work to improve his game.... that is just crazy. Shaq might have been as dominant as either LBJ or MJ, but if he ever had half the work ethic they had, they wouldn't even be in the conversation with him.

And I can't respect a guys' view on basketball if he can't concede to the value that a guy like Nash offered his team (and I'll knock Nash for his defense all day and still concede to that).

He's bitter and can't admit that he was his own worst enemy on the court. Did he fulfill a lot of his potential? Obviously. But he could have been so much more special and historic. He seems to think he should have been, when there simply isn't a case for that.

That said... no way Iverson should have ever had an MVP award in my book. I hate seeing his name on that list while CP3's is not.

KingPosey
03-26-2017, 09:27 PM
He should've been unanimous in 2000. That's it. That's the only concession I'm willing to make with him.

In what ****ing universe does Shaq deserve Nash's first MVP? I'm not giving a 23 and 10 center who played minimal defense (yes, by then Shaq was a non-factor on D) an MVP, I just refuse to do it. There are so many better candidates even when you take Nash out of the equation. Year 2 LeBron put up 27-7-7. Amar'e put up 26-9 on 56% shooting. T-Mac, Dirk, even Wade were all better than Shaq that year. Shaq finishing second was strictly because we all hated Kobe. He was not remotely the MVP that year.

I don't like either Shaq or Iverson winning the '01 MVP. They didn't play enough games. I'd rather have 82 games of Duncan that year than Iverson for 70 or Shaq for 74, but if we are throwing games played out the window, Webber was better than both of them (27-11-4 with the best defense of his career on a pre-Bibby Kings team where Peja had just found his footing).

I have no idea how Karl Malone won in 1999, but that doesn't mean Shaq should've won either. I'd take 'Zo that year (less scoring but the best defensive player in the league) or Jason Kidd (17-11-7 with his traditional great defense, carried a really crappy Suns team team into the playoffs).

I get really annoyed when Shaq complains about anything like this. You know why you didn't win MVP every year Shaq? Because you were too fat to play in enough games. You didn't try on defense half of the time. I could care less if Shaq reached his potential or not. What bothers me is Shaq pretending that he did and acting as if he did, that the fact that he could've been the GOAT means we should automatically treat him like he was the GOAT. Just because you chose to be the best player in the 2001 playoffs doesn't mean you were the best player night-to-night in the 2001 regular season. You wanna win MVPs? Then act like a ****ing MVP. Don't sleepwalk through seasons and expect us to celebrate you for it.

I'm not saying he should have won a unanimous MVP but all his defensive stats pretty much say otherwise his first year in Miami. That was probably the best defense he played in 5 years.

Also Shaq lead the league in DWS in 99-00 so their defense was pretty close, and their offense was no where close, Shaq smoked Zo

lol, please
03-26-2017, 10:06 PM
I feel like given what he accomplished, and his stats, more than one MVP would have been reasonable, but this is what happens when you play your prime years on a roster that has two MVP candidates. It's why KD and Curry will struggle to win a high volume of these awards.

He can be happy he has 4 rings and one MVP, or wish he had 4 MVP and 1 ring. Unfortunately... that's how it often works.

As to winning a unanimous MVP... I'm not sure anybody is really deserving of that, though it there were a case for it, I would say as far as the seasons I've seen, Shaq has the best case (better than Curry or LBJ, though LBJ certainly deserve to he ahead of Melo on every ballot). That said, the subjective nature of that vote and fluid definition of what an MVP is makes it hard to suggest that any player a unanimous award.

I'm critical of Shaq, but I'll also admit how dominant he was and how much he did achieve. The problem is, HE DOESN'T. He's complaining he didn't get enough, when he was one of the most blessed players. The officials let him get away with a half dozen offensive fouls in every game I ever saw him play, and he had All-Star signing up to play alongside him to get rings (Richmond, Payton (twice!), Malone, Rodman, Grant, Mourning, and Walker, as well as talented players like Laettner, Rider, and Jason Williams. And I will admit that none of these guys were at all-star level when he played with them, but they were almost all quality role players that Shaq got to pair with at least one other MVP calibre player: not simply an all-star, but an MVP like Wade or Kobe. Even in Orlando, he had a stacked starting line-up.

He had a lot to work with, and you don't hear him counting his blessings, which is what makes his whining even worse.

That, and he obviously thinks too highly of himself and doesn't respect skilled players. For him to compare himself to LBJ, who busts his @$$ of on both ends every night, and is critical of himself, and puts in work to improve his game.... that is just crazy. Shaq might have been as dominant as either LBJ or MJ, but if he ever had half the work ethic they had, they wouldn't even be in the conversation with him.

And I can't respect a guys' view on basketball if he can't concede to the value that a guy like Nash offered his team (and I'll knock Nash for his defense all day and still concede to that).

He's bitter and can't admit that he was his own worst enemy on the court. Did he fulfill a lot of his potential? Obviously. But he could have been so much more special and historic. He seems to think he should have been, when there simply isn't a case for that.

That said... no way Iverson should have ever had an MVP award in my book. I hate seeing his name on that list while CP3's is not.

Curry and Durant could still win multiple MVP's, they could win them every other year each.