PDA

View Full Version : Isaiah Thomas

More-Than-Most
03-25-2017, 12:13 AM
Might be the worst defender I have ever seen and that is saying something when you got OKA and Russell in the NBA...70 tonight isnt the reason but it doesnt surprise me that the 70 happened against an IT led team... He is a sick offensive player but guys like Smart/Bradley might be the reason this team has any shot at the playoffs because the second the celtics lose these type of help defenders or defenders he will get further exposed... Its not even like harden where its a lack of trying... He just gets bent over. Can the celtics beat a Cavs/Rockets/Warriors/Spurs/Wizards team in 7 when you have to put him on Guards that will obliterate him?

Jeffy25
03-25-2017, 01:21 AM
To be fair, he didn't score all or even most of this 70 off Thomas

KB24PG16
03-25-2017, 01:59 AM
celtics not going to build around IT they made that clear when they didnt trade for butler or paul george. he'll play his contract out and walk. the celtics will keep the nets' picks and most likely pick up one of fultz/ball/jackson. its clear that bird believed that a core of IT/horford/butler or george couldn't knock off the cavs. the celtics will continue to rebuild with their picks.

JAZZNC
03-25-2017, 02:39 AM
celtics not going to build around IT they made that clear when they didnt trade for butler or paul george. he'll play his contract out and walk. the celtics will keep the nets' picks and most likely pick up one of fultz/ball/jackson. its clear that bird believed that a core of IT/horford/butler or george couldn't knock off the cavs. the celtics will continue to rebuild with their picks.

Doesn't really matter what Bird thinks since he's not with the Celtics haha!

IndyRealist
03-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Danny Ainge, not Bird. The issue was having to give up too many core pieces. Theoretically the Pacers were asking for 2 starters, Brown, and the Nets pick.

ewing
03-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Might be the worst defender I have ever seen and that is saying something when you got OKA and Russell in the NBA...70 tonight isnt the reason but it doesnt surprise me that the 70 happened against an IT led team... He is a sick offensive player but guys like Smart/Bradley might be the reason this team has any shot at the playoffs because the second the celtics lose these type of help defenders or defenders he will get further exposed... Its not even like harden where its a lack of trying... He just gets bent over. Can the celtics beat a Cavs/Rockets/Warriors/Spurs/Wizards team in 7 when you have to put him on Guards that will obliterate him?

Did you watch the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Rhody
03-25-2017, 08:18 AM
At least he played more than 50 games his first three years...........

Heediot
03-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Just saw the highlights. Thomas was barely responisble for him last night. He was probably more busy with his younger twin Ulis.

BoSox47
03-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Among guards along in the NBA he ranks 115/216 in defensive FG%.

PAOboston
03-25-2017, 09:01 AM
He's not a "bad" defender as is he does try. The issue obviously is his size. That being said, he's an elite offensive player and his offense still outweighs the defense.

And he really wasn't responsible last night either. Booker was in a zone forn3 quarters last night. The 4th quarter in my opinion doesn't count as that was pretty embarrassing stuff from Phoenix to pad Booker's stats. It was also a blowout for the entire game.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

GoferKing_
03-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Well, this is not a good thread.

lakerfan85
03-25-2017, 10:38 AM
At least he played more than 50 games his first three years...........

Haha.. Good one!

Green_Monster
03-25-2017, 11:04 AM
I thought MTM just hated Ainge. Maybe it's the Celtics as a whole?

tp13baby
03-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Among guards along in the NBA he ranks 115/216 in defensive FG%.

This. Also there is no way you have IT guarding Booker for more than a couple possessions. Didn't watch the game but I truly doubt IT got exposed

tp13baby
03-25-2017, 12:20 PM
I thought MTM just hated Ainge. Maybe it's the Celtics as a whole?

In a thread he has stated he hates Boston.

bleedprple&gold
03-25-2017, 12:58 PM
I didnt watch the game but common sense tells me that IT wasn't guarding Booker because why would he when they have infinitely superior defenders like Bradley and Smart to put on him.

Jets012
03-25-2017, 01:00 PM
No one try to stick up for IT. He's a fantastic player. Loved him since his Washington days. Great story.

But the dude is a horrible horrible defender. The metrics and eye test back that up. So I don't know if the OP has a hidden agenda, but he is right in making this thread. If IT ever wants to be a top 3-4 PG, his defense has to at least be mediocre compared to what he's playing at right now. It's past James Harden level, but at least Harden had some natural flashes of defense, he just didn't give a ****.

hugepatsfan
03-25-2017, 01:08 PM
IT's defense is pathetic and it always will be. He's just too small. He gives good effort and plays within the team scheme. But he's always going to be a liability there that needs to make up for it on the offensive end (which he obviously does).

bleedprple&gold
03-25-2017, 02:27 PM
No one try to stick up for IT. He's a fantastic player. Loved him since his Washington days. Great story.

But the dude is a horrible horrible defender. The metrics and eye test back that up. So I don't know if the OP has a hidden agenda, but he is right in making this thread. If IT ever wants to be a top 3-4 PG, his defense has to at least be mediocre compared to what he's playing at right now. It's past James Harden level, but at least Harden had some natural flashes of defense, he just didn't give a ****.

And just how exactly is he going to fix the fact that's he's too small to guard anybody?

ManRam
03-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Yeah, last night wasn't the best example because he wasn't on Booker a whole lot. But like people have said, he's real real bad. I think he's clearly the worst defender in the NBA right now and it's by a pretty sizable matter. We're talking orders of magnitude worse than guys like Harden.

More-Than-Most
03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
I swear I said 70 tonight ISNT THE REASON... Its just not at all surprising that a IT led team would give up 70 to a player... His defense makes everyone elses defense take steps back because of how bad he is... Why does the first thought always go to HATER... I hate the celtics... I also hate the warriors.. I have been defending the warriors the last few weeks... The hate for a team shouldnt take away an opinion that has so much weight behind it... Its not like I am calling IT the worst player... Dudes amazing offensively but he is so bad defensively... You dont think his defense hurts his teammates? Ask KP how it feels to play with a defender like Rose...

I love it... MTM hates the celtics so clearly there is no basis for this... but IT defense is trash... O.O Um what? Oh yea... when people were saying the celtics should have traded for butler I was the one praising them for not doing it... BECAUSE OF HOW SMART IT WAS... BUT YO I CAN PUT ASIDE HATE... GTFO and stop the constant ******** of someone that hates the team cant ever post about said team without getting flamed.

More-Than-Most
03-25-2017, 05:59 PM
IT's defense is pathetic and it always will be. He's just too small. He gives good effort and plays within the team scheme. But he's always going to be a liability there that needs to make up for it on the offensive end (which he obviously does).

you ****ing hater... HATER.. HPF :love:

Lil Rhody
03-25-2017, 09:47 PM
^ deflection brah lmao. MTM I've come to understand you over the years. I really hope Rodgers gets a real team and the sixers can stay healthy long enough to click so you can finally be a competitor against new England's teams ;)

IndyRealist
03-26-2017, 08:53 AM

The team is essentially built around his offense, like the AI teams. Aside from IT, you've got a team chocked full of athletic defenders.

bostncelts34
03-26-2017, 12:43 PM
I get that IT is a really bad defender, but its not due to lack of effort or skill. The dudes just small.
The team is built around IT with solid defenders Bradley,Smart and crowder.

Once again, he is a liability but as others said it is more than made up for on the offensive end. I would much rather have that type of player, then someone who is 7ft tall (Okafor) and cant defend what so ever plus does not make up for it on the other end.

MTM, why not make a thread about how Eddy "cheeseburger" Curry was a horrific fast break player?

basch152
03-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Aren't you one of the AI dick riders? Slightly ironic.

KnicksorBust
03-26-2017, 02:42 PM
To be fair, he didn't score all or even most of this 70 off Thomas

Yeah I didnt watch the game but surprised Crowder and Smart (good defenders) let Booker get to 70.

IndyRealist
03-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Yeah I didnt watch the game but surprised Crowder and Smart (good defenders) let Booker get to 70.

It's an offensive league, and when you've got a guy with no conscience and a team willing to force feed him....

I think Booker can be a really good player, but I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on any single game.

KnicksorBust
03-26-2017, 04:54 PM

It's an offensive league, and when you've got a guy with no conscience and a team willing to force feed him....

I think Booker can be a really good player, but I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on any single game.

Brandon Jennings Double Nickel as a rookie LOL

More-Than-Most
03-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Aren't you one of the AI dick riders? Slightly ironic.

who me? LAWL... I think iverson is one of the most overrated players of all time but good try... OMG how can he be a hater of IT and be an iverson dick rider... nope... Lets try another you are a hater card while i wait... Iverson was a **** defender who was overrated or known as a good defender because of steals... He also put up a ton of points because of a ton of shots and the little guy syndrome from the refs... He is a damn good player but there are easily 50 players id take over him all time... he had enough help but never made his teammates better because of his play style so thus his teams got underrated... IT is actually quite lucky like others have mentioned the celtics have the perfect defensive unit to protect him... If they lose that it will end badly... Another reason I thought them trading for butler would be ******** because of the players and picks they would have to give up and losing bradly and crowder plus picks would actually make them worse in my opinion over the long haul.

Welp now I will get flamed by both sixer and celtics fans lol

Its also why Id prefer Klay over harder... I guess rockets fans can destroy me now... Though hardens offensive out put is worldy better than IT his defense isnt a real concern... I just think Klay would be better building a team.

ManRam
03-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Its also why Id prefer Klay over harder... I guess rockets fans can destroy me now... Though hardens offensive out put is worldy better than IT his defense isnt a real concern... I just think Klay would be better building a team.

Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions...even incorrect ones.

Rivera
03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
I swear I said 70 tonight ISNT THE REASON... Its just not at all surprising that a IT led team would give up 70 to a player... His defense makes everyone elses defense take steps back because of how bad he is... Why does the first thought always go to HATER... I hate the celtics... I also hate the warriors.. I have been defending the warriors the last few weeks... The hate for a team shouldnt take away an opinion that has so much weight behind it... Its not like I am calling IT the worst player... Dudes amazing offensively but he is so bad defensively... You dont think his defense hurts his teammates? Ask KP how it feels to play with a defender like Rose...

I love it... MTM hates the celtics so clearly there is no basis for this... but IT defense is trash... O.O Um what? Oh yea... when people were saying the celtics should have traded for butler I was the one praising them for not doing it... BECAUSE OF HOW SMART IT WAS... BUT YO I CAN PUT ASIDE HATE... GTFO and stop the constant ******** of someone that hates the team cant ever post about said team without getting flamed.

so basically what your saying is that IT is a cancer and because he was on the celtics, thats why they allowed Booker to go for 70?

What?

**** happens

I guess Bruce Bowen and the spurs suck at defense too because they once allowed TMac to go off for 13 in 30 seconds

what an overrated bunch of scrubs

More-Than-Most
03-27-2017, 03:02 PM
so basically what your saying is that IT is a cancer and because he was on the celtics, thats why they allowed Booker to go for 70?

What?

**** happens

I guess Bruce Bowen and the spurs suck at defense too because they once allowed TMac to go off for 13 in 30 seconds

what an overrated bunch of scrubs

the 70 is irrelevant... I should have made the thread a week earlier in all honesty... His defense is quite literally the worst in basketball. Its the same problem I had with iverson except IT isnt as good... Let me ask you something... Would you offer up IT for Butler if you could?

FlashBolt
03-27-2017, 03:09 PM
the 70 is irrelevant... I should have made the thread a week earlier in all honesty... His defense is quite literally the worst in basketball. Its the same problem I had with iverson except IT isnt as good... Let me ask you something... Would you offer up IT for Butler if you could?

Yeah, but Butler is a better player than Thomas. Thomas is still one of the best offensive talent in the league. He may be terrible defensively but that's practically his only flaw outside of his size. He's a Godsend for the Celtics.

Rivera
03-27-2017, 03:33 PM

thats dumb because butler is a better player than IT. Better comparison might be Conley for IT because IT carries a bigger burden on offense than Conley, while Conley is one of the best pg defenders in the league. But IT has built in help around him to help the defensive side of the floor because he helps carries the celtics on the offensive side. But i guess you suck in bball if you can score and cant defend awesome.

He has a place and hes on the perfect team for his skillset

ewing
03-27-2017, 03:37 PM
The hate is real. This guy turned this franchise arround. The Celt didn't build a supporting caste around him. They added him to a collection of young assets and he turned them from lottery team to a team that will win 50 games in back to back seasons. No I do not trade IT for Jimmy Butler, the Celtics would be back where they started.

GoferKing_
03-29-2017, 11:44 AM
The hate is real. This guy turned this franchise arround. The Celt didn't build a supporting caste around him. They added him to a collection of young assets and he turned them from lottery team to a team that will win 50 games in back to back seasons. No I do not trade IT for Jimmy Butler, the Celtics would be back where they started.

:clap:

mrblisterdundee
03-29-2017, 02:00 PM
I think the Celtics should be interested in Paul. He can obviously run an offense very well, while providing quality scoring and defense. And I don't think the Celtics would or should have to give up either of the Nets picks this summer to get him, although they would need to trade away at least three players to absorb his contract. Zeller, Thomas, Smart and another decent role player doesn't seem like too much for Paul and a role player.

mrblisterdundee
03-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Thomas can play out his contract in Los Angeles, which can still blow it up or go forward with Griffin and Jordan if they don't want to max him out.

kvrnm
03-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Well, this is not a good thread.

this.

kvrnm
03-29-2017, 03:36 PM

also this.

kobe4thewinbang
03-29-2017, 05:38 PM
You act like Kyrie Irving is suddenly going to lock down Isaiah Thomas. They'll cancel each other out. Same with John Wall. Only Kyle Lowry would give him trouble. He's generally at a disadvantage with his size but IT can carve through the paint with no problem cuz he's so fast, like AI but with a 3PT shot. And if the Celtics somehow reach the NBA Finals, again, Curry is not Tony Allen or Kawhi or somebody so IT's defense isn't that big of a deal. Harden doesn't even try.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
I think the reason Celtics didn't trade for George or Butler is cause they need them Nets picks as insurance down the road. Who knows if they can keep everyone. Factor in Horford on a max deal. IT and Bradley be fetching max deals after next season. Also Crowder on bargain bin contract. But Crowder didn't seem all that pleased this season when fans cheer for other teams pending free agents.

Horford on that contract in a couple years will look putrid. He's only putting up 14/7 right now. Also doubt he opts out of final year of player option. IT will get super max. Bradley will get the max. Also them high lottery Nets picks will get paid well being top of the list.

Al Horford $26,540,100 $27,734,405 $28,928,710 $30,123,015