PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein: Embiid likely for another knee surgery

mrblisterdundee
03-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Marc Stein reports that Joel Embiid is likely going under the surgeon's knife again:

Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid, ruled out for the rest of the season because of a knee injury, is "very likely" headed for surgery in the coming days, according to league sources.
Sources told ESPN.com that Embiid and the Sixers have been exploring treatment options after he suffered a partially torn meniscus and bone bruise in his left knee Jan. 20 against Portland.
A recovery timetable won't be established, sources said, until after the procedure.
- Marc Stein, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18978381/philadelphia-76ers-c-joel-embiid-very-likely-get-knee-surgery-soon)

FlashBolt
03-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Hey MTM... still think Embiid is a healthy player? You willing to gamble on him being your franchise player?

TrueFan420
03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Man that's sucks for him and the 76ers.

PhillyFaninLA
03-22-2017, 06:47 PM
This isn't a big deal...this is a very routine surgery to fix a minescus tear, if he had this in January he would have been back around the all star break...this is actually a very good thing, and should have been done 2 months ago.

WITZ
03-22-2017, 07:03 PM
And some people said they would take him over KAT Yikes

mrblisterdundee
03-22-2017, 07:11 PM
This isn't a big deal...this is a very routine surgery to fix a minescus tear, if he had this in January he would have been back around the all star break...this is actually a very good thing, and should have been done 2 months ago.

Someone's buying what the Colangelos are selling.

HandsOnTheWheel
03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
He's done

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Hey MTM... still think Embiid is a healthy player? You willing to gamble on him being your franchise player?

um yes... this was expected.. he was looking for avenues for a while at what he should do about the tear... its still a tear... why should this change my opinion exactly? Its not his foot.. its an injury that happens often... i have said we sink or swim with him and he will be fully healthy by the start of the season... so again what has changed? its only worse then they thought because our doctors are legit ****.

D Blue987
03-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Miniscus tears aren't a joke. The pain can linger for years even with repair surgery. It should be concerning he is struggling with Knee problems this early in his career. Guy has a ton of talent but will he ever be healthy enough to sustain himself as a presence in the league?

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 07:18 PM
And some people said they would take him over KAT Yikes

actually a large majority were saying this because of the god like level he was playing at... the skill is there.. he just needs to stay healthy... if this was his foot it would be an issue but its not... will he always be injury riddled? possibly... but a knee tear is common and nothing to assume such unless you are one of the haters who cut this guys career off before it started and were infuriated when he looked like god mode while he did play.

um yo... porz has been injured a good bit this year... OMG HE IS DONE.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 07:20 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/03/13/grizzlies-chandler-parsons-out-indefintely-partial-meniscus-tear/99146778/

rip parsons... he is now retired. 2 straight seasons 2 straight tears... MY GOD WILL HE EVER WALK AGAIN JDSHGBFSHGB

also his 2014 seasons was shortened by a knee injury... THE **** YO HOW CAN HE WALK.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Miniscus tears aren't a joke. The pain can linger for years even with repair surgery. It should be concerning he is struggling with Knee problems this early in his career. Guy has a ton of talent but will he ever be healthy enough to sustain himself as a presence in the league?

sure... if hes 40-60... there will always be slight pain probably but the majority of people in their 20s respond extremely well... its that age length of 40-60 that is the issue... but going by the people in this thread embiid is a 65 year old with a brain tumor.

HandsOnTheWheel
03-22-2017, 07:26 PM
actually a large majority were saying this because of the god like level he was playing at... the skill is there.. he just needs to stay healthy... if this was his foot it would be an issue but its not... will he always be injury riddled? possibly... but a knee tear is common and nothing to assume such unless you are one of the haters who cut this guys career off before it started and were infuriated when he looked like god mode while he did play.

um yo... porz has been injured a good bit this year... OMG HE IS DONE.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you actually talk like this in real life.

D Blue987
03-22-2017, 07:29 PM
sure... if hes 40-60... there will always be slight pain probably but the majority of people in their 20s respond extremely well... its that age length of 40-60 that is the issue... but going by the people in this thread embiid is a 65 year old with a brain tumor.

Hey it just remains to be seen if the guy can sustain his health to be a force. Not saying he can't but it is concerning the guy has played 31 games in 3 seasons since he was drafted. Knee injuries on big man can linger when your carrying a lot of weight on those knees. See Andrew Bynum. Hope he comes back as he definitely showed signs of being a star for the 76ers which they desperately need.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Hey it just remains to be seen if the guy can sustain his health to be a force. Not saying he can't but it is concerning the guy has played 31 games in 3 seasons since he was drafted. Knee injuries on big man can linger when your carrying a lot of weight on those knees. See Andrew Bynum. Hope he comes back as he definitely showed signs of being a star for the 76ers which they desperately need.

i dont disagree with any of this... my issue is with the 31 games in 3 years... he had 1 injury before he entered the nba and had a set back... he is 100 percent healed from that and has had no issues... this is an injury that happens often to guys... its bad luck... if next year its his foot and he misses time i will gladly admit i am wrong and we should move on... he does need to fix his style a bit because the way he jumps around like a PG is a red flag... its just not that concerning for me right now because its not the foot.. He will be fully healthy by the start of the season and likely playing in back to backs and so on because now the organization knows you cant bubble wrap someone... injuries happen.

FlashBolt
03-22-2017, 07:46 PM
um yes... this was expected.. he was looking for avenues for a while at what he should do about the tear... its still a tear... why should this change my opinion exactly? Its not his foot.. its an injury that happens often... i have said we sink or swim with him and he will be fully healthy by the start of the season... so again what has changed? its only worse then they thought because our doctors are legit ****.

What's changed is that an injury can lead to another injury and he's clearly dealing with too many of them in a short period of time while playing a heavily reduced schedule due to "maintenance." Collateral damage. Dominoes, MTM. Dominoes.

D Blue987
03-22-2017, 07:48 PM
i dont disagree with any of this... my issue is with the 31 games in 3 years... he had 1 injury before he entered the nba and had a set back... he is 100 percent healed from that and has had no issues... this is an injury that happens often to guys... its bad luck... if next year its his foot and he misses time i will gladly admit i am wrong and we should move on... he does need to fix his style a bit because the way he jumps around like a PG is a red flag... its just not that concerning for me right now because its not the foot.. He will be fully healthy by the start of the season and likely playing in back to backs and so on because now the organization knows you cant bubble wrap someone... injuries happen.

No you can't bubble wrap anyone your right. He has already had 2 surgeries on the same foot though the first 2 years and now a knee injury. The trend is not good when you consider all his problems are stemming from his lower extremities. Like I said though, doesn't mean he can't be healthy ever for the 76ers. We will see next year.

FlashBolt
03-22-2017, 07:50 PM
No you can't bubble wrap anyone your right. He has already had 2 surgeries on the same foot though the first 2 years and now a knee injury. The trend is not good when you consider all his problems are stemming from his lower extremities. Like I said though, doesn't mean he can't be healthy ever for the 76ers. We will see next year.

Same thing happened with Oden and Brandon Roy. It's difficult coming back from injury after injury; especially when you're young. What's the future going to look like when you're 28-30? I mean, he's yet to show he can play more than HALF the games available. He still has yet to average 30 minutes per game. I'm not sure his body can handle it. Crazy amount of talent when he's healthy but then again, we've lost some greats because of injuries so it's part of the game.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Same thing happened with Oden and Brandon Roy. It's difficult coming back from injury after injury; especially when you're young. What's the future going to look like when you're 28-30? I mean, he's yet to show he can play more than HALF the games available. He still has yet to average 30 minutes per game. I'm not sure his body can handle it. Crazy amount of talent when he's healthy but then again, we've lost some greats because of injuries so it's part of the game.

oden had the same foot injury twice didnt he? or something like that? If this were his foot sign me up... but again its not.. Its a common injury... i just gave you a link of parsons who has had 3 of them now in his last 3 seasons... was he injured before the first 1? its a common injury... parsons didnt have a foot injury either.. would you like other players medical history to prove this? Again NO issues with being concerned about his health because of course I am... but its not his foot.. He has only had 2 injuries now... his foot which he rebroke and fixed and has been 100 percent with no issues and a knee tear that many other people have had. You are connecting the 2 for no reason at all and its silly.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Has been my argument the entire time but people just see red for whatever reason... dont expect the sixers to bubble wrap him this time around... Its make or break time next season because they will push him to either see if he can hold out or break him before he gets paid... But like i said there is a big difference in if this were his foot period and its not but please continue to spew illogical mumbo jumbo and throw facts out the window.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Is-the-Sixers-Joel-Embiid-injury-prone-or-just-injured.html

Embiidís injury status is complicated.

This would be less of an issue if the current injury were related to Embiidís foot. The Sixers could justify not committing that much money to a guy who has missed 192 of a possible 223 games with the same injury.

Embiid, however, has not been bothered by his foot. A knee bruise is a common injury that could easily happen to any fully healthy player. Recovery time varies from player to player.

Still, the amount of time Embiid has missed because of it, combined with the two surgeries to the foot, combined with the stress fracture in his back that prematurely ended his lone collegiate season at Kansas, raises red flags about fragility.

The Sixers have taken every precaution possible yet he still got injured in a different part of his body. That needs further exploration through games played.

Instead of continuing to be overly cautious with Embiid, the Sixers need to push the envelope with him down the stretch.

Obviously, if it is determined that there is any kind of medical risk, you donít play him, but there is no reason to rule Embiid out for the season at this time.

It could simply be coincidence that Embiid got hurt or it could be the case that he is injury-prone.

The countdown to a franchise-shaping decision is on the horizon and the Sixers donít have enough data about Embiid to make an informed decision.

Still, it is one they have to make.

D Blue987
03-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Yeah it can be tough. The latest injury though supports the narrative that the guy can never stay healthy. That's why there are a lot of doubters in the thread common injury or not. You just never know.

D Blue987
03-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Has been my argument the entire time but people just see red for whatever reason... dont expect the sixers to bubble wrap him this time around... Its make or break time next season because they will push him to either see if he can hold out or break him before he gets paid... But like i said there is a big difference in if this were his foot period and its not but please continue to spew illogical mumbo jumbo and throw facts out the window.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Is-the-Sixers-Joel-Embiid-injury-prone-or-just-injured.html

Embiidís injury status is complicated.

This would be less of an issue if the current injury were related to Embiidís foot. The Sixers could justify not committing that much money to a guy who has missed 192 of a possible 223 games with the same injury.

Embiid, however, has not been bothered by his foot. A knee bruise is a common injury that could easily happen to any fully healthy player. Recovery time varies from player to player.

Still, the amount of time Embiid has missed because of it, combined with the two surgeries to the foot, combined with the stress fracture in his back that prematurely ended his lone collegiate season at Kansas, raises red flags about fragility.

The Sixers have taken every precaution possible yet he still got injured in a different part of his body. That needs further exploration through games played.

Instead of continuing to be overly cautious with Embiid, the Sixers need to push the envelope with him down the stretch.

Obviously, if it is determined that there is any kind of medical risk, you donít play him, but there is no reason to rule Embiid out for the season at this time.

It could simply be coincidence that Embiid got hurt or it could be the case that he is injury-prone.

The countdown to a franchise-shaping decision is on the horizon and the Sixers donít have enough data about Embiid to make an informed decision.

Still, it is one they have to make.

Yeah it can be tough. The latest injury though supports the narrative that the guy can never stay healthy. That's why there are a lot of doubters in the thread common injury or not. You just never know.

Haha exactly what I just said.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Haha exactly what I just said.

yea i dont mind the take of worrying about his health... i said months ago when he was playing like a god id always worry about his injuries... its literally the opposite knee of his bad foot... its just a freak common injury... people connecting them are being doing what people do... there is no evidence to support it but they bank on the fact he missed this many games out of this many games but when you enter the league being done for the year and you re aggravate said injury its going to be that way... If this were his foot i would say you move on... His foot is 100 percent healthy.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:15 PM
i will add i wish he would get someones advice about how he lands and jumps all around... either he needs to build his legs with a ton of muscle training or figure something out because the way he jumps around will make things very difficult... He is 7 foot 3 who plays like a PG

One Nut Kruk
03-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you actually talk like this in real life.

If his real life is anything like his posts, then I'd imagine based on his constant rambling that he has one hell of a case of diarrhea of the mouth.

zn23
03-22-2017, 08:18 PM
I know it's not another foot surgery, but this has to be concerning.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:24 PM
If his real life is anything like his posts, then I'd imagine based on his constant rambling that he has one hell of a case of diarrhea of the mouth.

i am starting to think you are legit stalking me... would you like to see your recent posts? its pretty weird...

you enter thread

you ignore the thread topic

you react to my post

you insult

you then deflect

you then insult again

you then move on rarely ever adding much to the topic or providing any type of facts or weight based logic.... you know its a sports forum right... I didnt like go to your special classes in highschool or something and pick on you did i? because if so i am sorry but this infatuation with me is becoming weird man... seriously add something to the thread topic... anything please... I will wait so i can pick it apart and we can rinse/repeat with you deflecting/insulting and leaving.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:26 PM
I know it's not another foot surgery, but this has to be concerning.

it is when you factor in his play style... he jumps all over... he needs to go get some advice with how he jumps/lands/moves because everytime he goes up i worry he will come down and break something.

One Nut Kruk
03-22-2017, 08:31 PM
What do I need to add to a topic where everyone knows this guy is a walking bandaid except for a few 76ers fans that will constantly defend him til the cows come home. Talk about rinse/repeat, you spew the exact same **** a thousand times a day. It's comical.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:33 PM
What do I need to add to a topic where everyone knows this guy is a walking bandaid except for a few 76ers fans that will constantly defend him til the cows come home. Talk about rinse/repeat, you spew the exact same **** a thousand times a day. It's comical.

Soooooooooooooo you added nothing to the topic and finished it off with an insult? its like i can see the future. Come on lets try one more time... AHEM... Is there anything you would like to add to the current topic at hand that brings any type of insight/logic/information/opinion of your own without just throwing around ahem poopoo of the mouth -your words not mine- and insulting?

you literally are admitting you came in here just to insult because if there is nothing to add in your opinion why post? OH YEA SO YOU CAN INSULT AND FURTHER YOUR INFATUATION.

ball4reel
03-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Playing like a God is extreme exaggeration, He was playing well while playing every other game. I hope next year he can stay healthy he was fun to watch.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Playing like a God is extreme exaggeration, He was playing well while playing every other game. I hope next year he can stay healthy he was fun to watch.

if you go by his numbers it was god like but the anti argument would be him being able to do that because of the constant rest time... which i can understand as well.

PhillyFaninLA
03-22-2017, 08:40 PM

The surgery is a routine surgery, that is what I said. Its typically a 2 or 3 week recovery from meniscus surgery. This isn't a struggle with a knee problem, this is a guy who was over aggressive and doesn't know how to land. That is exactly why this injury happened.

Maybe he will have an injury plagued career, maybe he is injury prone, but if you know the facts of the injuries he has had you understand that a legitimate case can be made for circumstance. He foot injury didn't heal properly in large part because he grew two inches with a screw in his foot so it wasn't as stable or in the right place. This was injury was from him being reckless with his body at times and it biting him on the butt with a tear.

You ask a great question to end your post, that is the million dollar question and I do want to acknowledge that your post is well stated and thought out.

One Nut Kruk
03-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Oh did I hurt your feelings? Pretty sure it's obvious you have a rambling problem. Go into any thread you post in and look at the numerous posts that are just different variations of the same thing. Stalking lol. Don't flatter yourself.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Oh did I hurt your feelings? Pretty sure it's obvious you have a rambling problem. Go into any thread you post in and look at the numerous posts that are just different variations of the same thing. Stalking lol. Don't flatter yourself.

hurt my feelings? i am just trying to figure out if you want my signature. It doesnt surprise me that Rambling to you is factual information/opinion that has factual information or weight behind it because of your inability to post such things it seems. You can do you I am just saying that its a tiny bit weird... flattering but weird. Just look at your recent posts when it comes to me... You are like 4 posts deep so far and have provided nothing on the actual topic.

tp13baby
03-22-2017, 08:52 PM
yea i dont mind the take of worrying about his health... i said months ago when he was playing like a god id always worry about his injuries... its literally the opposite knee of his bad foot... its just a freak common injury... people connecting them are being doing what people do... there is no evidence to support it but they bank on the fact he missed this many games out of this many games but when you enter the league being done for the year and you re aggravate said injury its going to be that way... If this were his foot i would say you move on... His foot is 100 percent healthy.

Yeah since y'all don't listen to me go do some research, like some scientific journal studies. Success of torn meniscus surgeries have ranged from as low as 50 percent to as high as 90 percent in some studies. This isn't can't be seen as a minor injury which I harped in the previous threads. It is scary since there was no point in time where we could classify the injury as acute (a single incident). Colangelo said it was not an acute injury, meaning it is chronic. Therefore either it is simple wear and tear or degenerative. Both are concerning but there is no guarantee he will come back strong, I hope he does.

Minor tear or not, the meniscus is NEVER a minor injury no matter what sport.

Cracka2HI!
03-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Over/Under on Embiid playing 82 games in his career? Sadly I'll take the under.

tp13baby
03-22-2017, 08:55 PM
The surgery is a routine surgery, that is what I said. Its typically a 2 or 3 week recovery from meniscus surgery. This isn't a struggle with a knee problem, this is a guy who was over aggressive and doesn't know how to land. That is exactly why this injury happened.

Maybe he will have an injury plagued career, maybe he is injury prone, but if you know the facts of the injuries he has had you understand that a legitimate case can be made for circumstance. He foot injury didn't heal properly in large part because he grew two inches with a screw in his foot so it wasn't as stable or in the right place. This was injury was from him being reckless with his body at times and it biting him on the butt with a tear.

You ask a great question to end your post, that is the million dollar question and I do want to acknowledge that your post is well stated and thought out.

Colangelo in a press conference admitted this is not an acute injury. Go look it back up. Meaning it was not from one specific fall. Unless your GM is lying to the press, who knows he might be, your statements bolded are wrong.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Yeah since y'all don't listen to me go do some research, like some scientific journal studies. Success of torn meniscus surgeries have ranged from as low as 50 percent to as high as 90 percent in some studies. This isn't can't be seen as a minor injury which I harped in the previous threads. It is scary since there was no point in time where we could classify the injury as acute (a single incident). Colangelo said it was not an acute injury, meaning it is chronic. Therefore either it is simple wear and tear or degenerative. Both are concerning but there is no guarantee he will come back strong, I hope he does.

Minor tear or not, the meniscus is NEVER a minor injury no matter what sport.

Did plenty of research... its a COMMON injury for 20 year olds... less common for those 40-60... there will always be some pain but players in their 20s have an extremely high chance of being completely healthy with little to no pain... 10 articles all saying the same thing

One Nut Kruk
03-22-2017, 08:58 PM
I've provided on more than one occasion (different threads) that while Embid is a fantastic player when healthy, he just hasn't proven to be able to stay on the court and I just think your excuses for him time after time are cute. Even cuter than you.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 08:59 PM
I've provided on more than one occasion (different threads) that while Embid is a fantastic player when healthy, he just hasn't proven to be able to stay on the court and I just think your excuses for him time after time are cute. Even cuter than you.

Now we need to be best friends because what you did there... I see it. :love:

Not even mad anymore now.

More-Than-Most
03-22-2017, 09:00 PM
this is fine though... you people will just give me more ammo when he turns into the god we know he can be... i expect everyone back in here come december of next year when he is dominating and playing most games.... : )

One Nut Kruk
03-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Now we need to be best friends because what you did there... I see it. :love:

Not even mad anymore now.

Awwwww I'm sorry buddy.

In all seriousness, I do hope he comes back healthy. He is a pleasure to watch and I would hate to see a talent like this wasted.

Pfeifer
03-22-2017, 09:09 PM
this is fine though... you people will just give me more ammo when he turns into the god we know he can be... i expect everyone back in here come december of next year when he is dominating and playing most games.... : )

You mean March? If he can play all season I will be sold.

tp13baby
03-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Did plenty of research... its a COMMON injury for 20 year olds... less common for those 40-60... there will always be some pain but players in their 20s have an extremely high chance of being completely healthy with little to no pain... 10 articles all saying the same thing

It is really common but when scientific studies have surgury success rates in athletes at 50 percent in some studies its concerning and anything with the knee isn't minor.

Can he come back absolutely and I am not arguing that.

GiantsSwaGG
03-22-2017, 09:11 PM
oden had the same foot injury twice didnt he? or something like that? If this were his foot sign me up... but again its not.. Its a common injury... i just gave you a link of parsons who has had 3 of them now in his last 3 seasons... was he injured before the first 1? its a common injury... parsons didnt have a foot injury either.. would you like other players medical history to prove this? Again NO issues with being concerned about his health because of course I am... but its not his foot.. He has only had 2 injuries now... his foot which he rebroke and fixed and has been 100 percent with no issues and a knee tear that many other people have had. You are connecting the 2 for no reason at all and its silly.

Parson has been on the decline since his second knee injury. He was TRASH this season. He went from a potential all star to a role player with knee problems!

mrblisterdundee
03-22-2017, 09:22 PM

Considering his age and that his foot wasn't injured, it's totally possible he could come back to full strength. But it doesn't seem better than 50/50 odds we'll see the same god-like Embiid. The Colangelos haven't exactly been the most forthcoming about the health of those players, and Embiid has a pretty sustained injury history with his lower body.
By the way, I'm pulling for he, Saric, and Simmons to be healthy and start in the front court next season. I don't really know where Holmes fits into that equation.

Scoots
03-23-2017, 08:06 AM
Injuries are cumulative and tend to increase the odds of a future injury. Embiid's injuries could stop here and he could play 10 years with no issues it has happened before where players start their careers with a lot of injuries and then figure out how to manage from then on ... but it's not the way to bet.

ewing
03-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Injuries are cumulative and tend to increase the odds of a future injury. Embiid's injuries could stop here and he could play 10 years with no issues it has happened before where players start their careers with a lot of injuries and then figure out how to manage from then on ... but it's not the way to bet.

yeah i hope he turns into a Kurt Thomas story but man its not looking good for the sixers. That god they have all those assets

warfelg
03-23-2017, 11:15 AM
To correct the OP and the Thread title:

This is his first knee surgery.

Vinylman
03-23-2017, 11:36 AM
To correct the OP and the Thread title:

This is his first knee surgery.

I think he is just foreshadowing....

sorry... couldn't resist :cool:

Gibby23
03-23-2017, 05:44 PM

It is a 2 or 3 week recovery if they remove it. It is a few months if they repair it. He is young, and they are hoping he is the future of the franchise if he can stay on the court. What one do you think they go with? Probably not the 2 or 3 week option.

More-Than-Most
03-23-2017, 05:58 PM
fun note... because of the starters resting in prime time games... they let embiid play against the rockets injured because it was a prime time game... funny how that works out and how that hurt him further.

Gibby23
03-23-2017, 06:00 PM
fun note... because of the starters resting in prime time games... they let embiid play against the rockets injured because it was a prime time game... funny how that works out and how that hurt him further.

I think that is only an issue with playoff teams resting stars. Many people probably didn't even watch the game you are talking about.

ewing
03-23-2017, 06:21 PM

I hope your dude gets healthy, he is real talented. I thought Bynum could have been special too. Joel was easier to root for but i really liked both guys

PhillyFaninLA
03-23-2017, 06:38 PM
It is a 2 or 3 week recovery if they remove it. It is a few months if they repair it. He is young, and they are hoping he is the future of the franchise if he can stay on the court. What one do you think they go with? Probably not the 2 or 3 week option.

Thanks. I didn't realize the difference between removing and repairing it in terms of recovery time.

More-Than-Most
03-23-2017, 06:46 PM
there was a doctor on today on daily news live... the repairing was always the route... he will be plenty healthy by the time the season starts per the doctor... he went on to question how poorly the organization and medical team continue to handle things and injuries.

The only question is when he is healthy will they go the same stupid bubble wrapped route of playing him on a severe minute restriction and not in back to backs...

also if i were a sixer player and i got injured that night i am demanding a trade... our team of medical guys is ****ing putrid.

PhillyFaninLA
03-23-2017, 07:06 PM
there was a doctor on today on daily news live... the repairing was always the route... he will be plenty healthy by the time the season starts per the doctor... he went on to question how poorly the organization and medical team continue to handle things and injuries.

The only question is when he is healthy will they go the same stupid bubble wrapped route of playing him on a severe minute restriction and not in back to backs...

also if i were a sixer player and i got injured that night i am demanding a trade... our team of medical guys is ****ing putrid.

I don't think any of us will tolerate that. I've been more patient than a lot of us, but I thought it was ridiculous this year. Back in the day guys played, worked out, practiced, played, repeat and got injured less....today players get injured and sit more often and don't play or practice the same way....I don't care what "sports science" says, I know if you work out, practice, and keep yourself in shape you are less likely to get injured then when you are being babied.

Now this point is a general one, Embiids injuries are not because he was babied but he'll never be healthy long term if he isn't allowed to play and practice and have his body get used to any type of grind.

ewing
03-23-2017, 09:25 PM

IDK, I've heard naps is the way

JAZZNC
03-24-2017, 03:58 AM
I just have no faith in this guy ever being healthy. He couldn't make it through one season in college, missed two full seasons in the NBA and only played 30 games this year all because of injury. Say that out loud....I fully understand why Philly fans think he's gonna be fine and downplay this injury stuff and justify it as somehow normal. He's the best talent they've had in years, I'd be trying everything in my power to stay positive too. But as an outsider, you just can't look at this and say anything other than he will never play close to a full season. He is injury prone and that's that. I understand they aren't the same injury yada yada but it's a fact that he hasn't been able to play and it's gonna stay a fact until proven otherwise and I just don't see that happening. It's sad because he is a helluva talented player.

Vinylman
03-24-2017, 06:28 AM
I hope your dude gets healthy, he is real talented. I thought Bynum could have been special too. Joel was easier to root for but i really liked both guys

Bynum was a total douche and Jimbaco's lovefest for him cost us CP3...

Other than Jimbaco he is easily the worse thing that happened to the Lakers in the last 20 years

Scoots
03-24-2017, 09:45 AM
I don't think any of us will tolerate that. I've been more patient than a lot of us, but I thought it was ridiculous this year. Back in the day guys played, worked out, practiced, played, repeat and got injured less....today players get injured and sit more often and don't play or practice the same way....I don't care what "sports science" says, I know if you work out, practice, and keep yourself in shape you are less likely to get injured then when you are being babied.

Now this point is a general one, Embiids injuries are not because he was babied but he'll never be healthy long term if he isn't allowed to play and practice and have his body get used to any type of grind.

The thing is that everything has moved on since those days. These guys have trained at a higher level for a lot longer to get to the NBA than the players of yesterday. It's an examples from a different sport but it's illustrative of my point. Fred Dean is an NFL Hall of Fame member who retired in 1986. He played Defensive End. He never lifted weights once in his life and he smoked before games and at half time, I once saw him smoke on the sideline. He was 6'3" and 230lbs as a defensive end. The average defensive end today is 275lbs is WAY stronger and runs faster ... because they have been training hard since they were 15 years old. The same parallels exist in the NBA. There are always outliers, but the fact is players bodies are more stressed than they ever were before so any comparison to "how it used to be" that doesn't take into account the massive differences on how much time and effort was spent to get to where they are and their level of athleticism.

It would be nice if the trainers pushed the players just a little less and they could play just a little slower, but the only way that works is if everyone agrees to do that all together and we know that's not going to happen.

Vinylman
03-24-2017, 01:16 PM
The thing is that everything has moved on since those days. These guys have trained at a higher level for a lot longer to get to the NBA than the players of yesterday. It's an examples from a different sport but it's illustrative of my point. Fred Dean is an NFL Hall of Fame member who retired in 1986. He played Defensive End. He never lifted weights once in his life and he smoked before games and at half time, I once saw him smoke on the sideline. He was 6'3" and 230lbs as a defensive end. The average defensive end today is 275lbs is WAY stronger and runs faster ... because they have been training hard since they were 15 years old. The same parallels exist in the NBA. There are always outliers, but the fact is players bodies are more stressed than they ever were before so any comparison to "how it used to be" that doesn't take into account the massive differences on how much time and effort was spent to get to where they are and their level of athleticism.

It would be nice if the trainers pushed the players just a little less and they could play just a little slower, but the only way that works is if everyone agrees to do that all together and we know that's not going to happen.

none of that is scientific...

the size of the players has to do with many factors - adverse selection in 1986 is the biggest reason.

Do you understand that the US population has increased from 240 million people in 1986 to 322 million today?

Do you understand that there are a whopping 220 more NFL positions in that same time period? which period would have bigger players? the one with an extra 40 million guys to choose from or the prior?

Size has everything to do with the "pool" of available individuals now vs 1986... Of course players are going to get bigger but why are they more stressed? Weight increases have been proportional to height increases... In fact, if you believe that athletes are in better shape now that would indicate that there is LESS stress on their bodies vs the past

If you want to talk "sports science" provide injury rates vs different era's not generalities. This idea that players work out more so they are stressed more is idiotic and it ignores how much better environmental factors are for players (travel, diet, etc...) vs prior era's

Generally speaking resting or shutting players down is merely a way to protect an investment... not to increase its upside but to limit its downside...

One Nut Kruk
03-24-2017, 05:19 PM
I just have no faith in this guy ever being healthy. He couldn't make it through one season in college, missed two full seasons in the NBA and only played 30 games this year all because of injury. Say that out loud....I fully understand why Philly fans think he's gonna be fine and downplay this injury stuff and justify it as somehow normal. He's the best talent they've had in years, I'd be trying everything in my power to stay positive too. But as an outsider, you just can't look at this and say anything other than he will never play close to a full season. He is injury prone and that's that. I understand they aren't the same injury yada yada but it's a fact that he hasn't been able to play and it's gonna stay a fact until proven otherwise and I just don't see that happening. It's sad because he is a helluva talented player.

Right on the money.

Scoots
03-24-2017, 06:00 PM
none of that is scientific...

the size of the players has to do with many factors - adverse selection in 1986 is the biggest reason.

Do you understand that the US population has increased from 240 million people in 1986 to 322 million today?

Do you understand that there are a whopping 220 more NFL positions in that same time period? which period would have bigger players? the one with an extra 40 million guys to choose from or the prior?

Size has everything to do with the "pool" of available individuals now vs 1986... Of course players are going to get bigger but why are they more stressed? Weight increases have been proportional to height increases... In fact, if you believe that athletes are in better shape now that would indicate that there is LESS stress on their bodies vs the past

If you want to talk "sports science" provide injury rates vs different era's not generalities. This idea that players work out more so they are stressed more is idiotic and it ignores how much better environmental factors are for players (travel, diet, etc...) vs prior era's

Generally speaking resting or shutting players down is merely a way to protect an investment... not to increase its upside but to limit its downside...

It's an anecdote, of course it's not scientific but it is demonstrative of a fact ... the training and health habits of professional athletes have changed a LOT in the last 30 years, in large part because of the amount of money involved. If you want to believe that athletes now are getting no more out of their bodies than they were 30 years ago there is nothing I can do for you.

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Ok, I'll use facts and another sport.

In the 1990's the Atlanta Braves pitchers threw, off days they threw, game days they threw, off season they threw...those pitchers where healthier then most of the league, they went deeper into games, and they could pitch on shorter rest when called upon.

I'ts a fact that if you work out properly, properly condition yourself, and actually do the thing you want to be able to do again and again and again, do that thing on a regular basis and your body will handle the stress of it better.

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2017, 07:04 PM
It's an anecdote, of course it's not scientific but it is demonstrative of a fact ... the training and health habits of professional athletes have changed a LOT in the last 30 years, in large part because of the amount of money involved. If you want to believe that athletes now are getting no more out of their bodies than they were 30 years ago there is nothing I can do for you.

They are getting less out of there body, they are rarely maximizing skills, and they aren't as tough....30 years ago guys where tougher, worked harder, and played longer....that is a fact....a guy not being able to play 2 times in 4 days because of "sports science" is a joke. Guys are getting far less, not working as hard, and even the leagues are adjusting the rules to make things easier for guys that are being told to not be as competitive or as tough or play as hard or as often.

More-Than-Most
03-24-2017, 08:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/medical-update-joel-embiid-undergoes-successful-surgery

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan 2 weeks.... they expect him to be able to basketball activities over the summer... MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN hang em up... time of death reported : )

More-Than-Most
03-24-2017, 08:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnDVHGKAACI&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

the return.. see you guys come october when he is entering god mode :shrug:

One Nut Kruk
03-24-2017, 08:45 PM
You really should change your name to Cuter-Than-Most :love:

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2017, 08:50 PM

With Ben Simmons, Josh Jackson, and Markelle Fultz or De'Aaron Fox as well.

JAZZNC
03-24-2017, 09:39 PM

See you in March when he's in street clothes again. If he even makes it that long.

Scoots
03-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Ok, I'll use facts and another sport.

In the 1990's the Atlanta Braves pitchers threw, off days they threw, game days they threw, off season they threw...those pitchers where healthier then most of the league, they went deeper into games, and they could pitch on shorter rest when called upon.

I'ts a fact that if you work out properly, properly condition yourself, and actually do the thing you want to be able to do again and again and again, do that thing on a regular basis and your body will handle the stress of it better.

Better but not perfectly and when performance degrades from fatigue rest is the solution. You should probably never use MLB pitchers in a discussion of rest days. :)

Scoots
03-24-2017, 09:59 PM
30 years ago guys where tougher, worked harder, and played longer....that is a fact

Worked harder? Most of them didn't work out at all in the off-season, they ate crap, they smoked, they didn't sleep enough, they drank heavily. I'm not even sure they played longer on average. Does anybody know where to find the average minutes played in a career by decade?

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Worked harder? Most of them didn't work out at all in the off-season, they ate crap, they smoked, they didn't sleep enough, they drank heavily. I'm not even sure they played longer on average. Does anybody know where to find the average minutes played in a career by decade?

You have no clue what you are talking about, not in either of your last 2 posts. You are just flat out wrong, you just are on this. Its cut and dry.

Scoots
03-24-2017, 10:48 PM
You have no clue what you are talking about, not in either of your last 2 posts. You are just flat out wrong, you just are on this. Its cut and dry.

And I feel the same about you. We can agree to disagree. Moving on.

ewing
03-25-2017, 12:25 AM

What are you a crack head? I played small time college basketball, and i worked my *** off year round. Most them didn't work out at all in the off season!!!!!!! They ate like crap LOL. No had ever heard of veggies before this generation. LOL, You guys are sooooo smart LOL.

JAZZNC
03-25-2017, 12:31 AM

I know it's the homer take but there is a reason guys like Malone and Stockton always played. They worked harder than anybody, took care of their bodies, and didn't sit because of a damn sore toe or other BS players these days see as a need to sit games out. Do you think David Robinson looked the way he did by taking the entire off-season off?? Come on man. Guys these days have tons of advantages compared the guys in past generations and this rest thing is just out of control.

ewing
03-25-2017, 12:45 AM
I know it's the homer take but there is a reason guys like Malone and Stockton always played. They worked harder than anybody, took care of their bodies, and didn't sit because of a damn sore toe or other BS players these days see as a need to sit games out. Do you think David Robinson looked the way he did by taking the entire off-season off?? Come on man. Guys these days have tons of advantages compared the guys in past generations and this rest thing is just out of control.

and they were lucky. lets be honest, Scoots notion that the NBA was like Artie Lange's beer league before the Warriors took over and everything was revolutionized is silly its not 100% the other way either.

KB24PG16
03-25-2017, 02:00 AM
rip emiid's career... gone too soon

TheDish87
03-25-2017, 03:52 PM
lol yea this ended his career. hes back to working out in like 2 weeks

PhillyFaninLA
03-25-2017, 04:40 PM
lol yea this ended his career. hes back to working out in like 2 weeks

And could have be playing now if they did this in January. We need a new diagnostician for our players.

Scoots
03-25-2017, 04:46 PM
What are you a crack head? I played small time college basketball, and i worked my *** off year round. Most them didn't work out at all in the off season!!!!!!! They ate like crap LOL. No had ever heard of veggies before this generation. LOL, You guys are sooooo smart LOL.

You played college ball in the 60s?

ewing
03-26-2017, 07:55 AM
You played college ball in the 60s?

late 90s.