PDA

View Full Version : Was Stephen Curry deserving of the unanimous MVP award?

FlashBolt
03-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 but looking back, was he truly deserving of that?

*I agree he should have been MVP so let's not debate that part.

Allphakenny1
03-17-2017, 11:18 PM
Well, by using simple logic I would have to say yes. The voters job is to vote for the person deserving of the MVP. While there were other great players, Curry was the only option last year. So any voter who did not vote for Curry, would have not been doing their job. Therefore, Curry was deserving of the unanimous MVP.

If the question is, is Curry the only player in the history of the NBA that deserves to have the unanimous MVP title? Then of course the answer is no.

zn23
03-18-2017, 12:42 AM
Absolutely. He led the league in OWS, WS and WS/48, PER and his team won an NBA record 73 games. There wasn't a close 2nd.

MygirlhatesCod
03-18-2017, 02:15 AM
I get how petty you are trying to be, but you should ask this after the season ends.
it will either make your hate sad or have a little substance.

nastynice
03-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Absolutely deserving. Fresh off an MVP season, the guy puts together a season in which he was probably legit the most improved player that year...I definitely agree that there have been players in the past who should have gotten it to, but either way, Curry absolutely deserved it.

And my favorite part? He has no issues taking a back seat following a season in which he probably put up the most efficient offensive numbers in nba history. Can't think of one other player who would make that sacrifice for their team while in their prime.

nastynice
03-18-2017, 11:51 AM
There wasn't a close 2nd.

This

FlashBolt
03-18-2017, 01:42 PM
I get how petty you are trying to be, but you should ask this after the season ends.
it will either make your hate sad or have a little substance.

Who's being petty? Already said he was the MVP in my eyes but in terms of how important some pieces on his team were and we're seeing that right now, it's debatable just how much of an impact Steph had.

tredigs
03-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Do you have any argument to the contrary? You even say it's not a debate that he was the MVP so...

tredigs
03-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Who's being petty? Already said he was the MVP in my eyes but in terms of how important some pieces on his team were and we're seeing that right now, it's debatable just how much of an impact Steph had.

Not really, he pretty much led the league in all metrics and even this season (noehrte close to last year's mind you) his impact is huge.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-18-2017, 03:24 PM
An easy yes.

Just because someone hasn't won a unanimous MVP (even though multiple players have deserved it), it shouldn't take away from Curry being the one. I know some people who say "Curry shouldn't be a unanimous MVP because X and Y didn't win unanimous", which is a dumb argument.

Heediot
03-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Absolutely deserving. Fresh off an MVP season, the guy puts together a season in which he was probably legit the most improved player that year...I definitely agree that there have been players in the past who should have gotten it to, but either way, Curry absolutely deserved it.

And my favorite part? He has no issues taking a back seat following a season in which he probably put up the most efficient offensive numbers in nba history. Can't think of one other player who would make that sacrifice for their team while in their prime.

I think Duncan, Dirk, Nash, Cp3 would sacrifice in their primes. Even Pau Gasol but he was never MVP caliber just a consistent high level player.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Lebron sacrificed 1 MVP in 2011 for the sake of the Miami Heat bro.

Heediot
03-18-2017, 04:26 PM

Remember MVP is a regular season award. His numbers raw and advanced were killer last year and his team was historical in the regular season as well. Your case is more compelling if MVP includes the playoffs, but it doesn't.

MygirlhatesCod
03-18-2017, 04:31 PM

where is the debate? other than curry who would you select ahead of him? if you were to actually watch games you would see the impact he has on the floor. his +/- is exceptional. All you seem to think curry does is shoot three's because now that he is slumping in that department all of the sudden his selection last year (which has nothing to do with this year) is in question. its either you are just a curry/warriors hater or you believe how well a players shoots 3's is a the measure of an MVP.
so yeah, without a legit reason it does read petty.

nastynice
03-18-2017, 06:53 PM
I think Duncan, Dirk, Nash, Cp3 would sacrifice in their primes. Even Pau Gasol but he was never MVP caliber just a consistent high level player.

Yea, ur probably right. I got a bit carried away, lol

Even kawhi and David Robinson. Something bout the Spurs...

nastynice
03-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Lebron sacrificed 1 MVP in 2011 for the sake of the Miami Heat bro.

mm, well he was trying to go from a situation where he felt he couldn't win to a situation where he felt he could. I get what ur saying, but I think it's a bit diff

nastynice
03-18-2017, 06:57 PM
its either you are just a curry/warriors hater

Oh man, you don't know bout flashbolt? When it comes to Warriors haters, he's part of the big 3. Other two being iknowhoops and saddletramp, lol

All 3 in their prime. Unfair

Jamiecballer
03-18-2017, 07:22 PM
if we lived in a world where offense was not overly weighted by the majority of fans and voters -- then the answer is a resounding no. but we don't, so it seems reasonable enough to give it to curry.

so i guess obviously my answer is no but i understand this is just the way awards work.

TrueFan420
03-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Well, by using simple logic I would have to say yes. The voters job is to vote for the person deserving of the MVP. While there were other great players, Curry was the only option last year. So any voter who did not vote for Curry, would have not been doing their job. Therefore, Curry was deserving of the unanimous MVP.

If the question is, is Curry the only player in the history of the NBA that deserves to have the unanimous MVP title? Then of course the answer is no.
This

Quinnsanity
03-18-2017, 10:31 PM
He was the MVP, and there weren't any other really viable candidates, so yea, I'd say he was deserving. But I think there should've been a lot more unanimous MVPs. You could argue that all of LeBron's MVPs should've been unanimous. Shaq's MVP should've been unanimous. Several of Jordan's should've been unanimous. All it should take for there to be a unanimous MVP is a clear winner. Curry was the clear winner last year. I don't think of that as any more impressive than LeBron's 2013 MVP just because some idiot wanted his 15 minutes of fame for voting for Carmelo. So yea, Curry should've been the unanimous MVP, but there should've been a lot more unanimous MVPs.

Quinnsanity
03-18-2017, 10:32 PM

... Yea, basically this. /thread.

LOb0
03-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Where does Curry's regular season rank all time last year? It was one of the greatest statistical ones of all time.

Quinnsanity
03-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Where does Curry's regular season rank all time last year? It was one of the greatest statistical ones of all time.

Best offensive season of all time. If you include defense? I'd probably take LeBron's two Heat MVP years, Shaq's MVP and a few of Jordan's seasons.

Allphakenny1
03-19-2017, 12:22 AM
if we lived in a world where offense was not overly weighted by the majority of fans and voters -- then the answer is a resounding no. but we don't, so it seems reasonable enough to give it to curry.

so i guess obviously my answer is no but i understand this is just the way awards work.

Just curious, if you add in defense, who do you think should have won the MVP last year?

aman_13
03-19-2017, 12:48 AM
No question.

Quinnsanity
03-19-2017, 02:11 AM

Team offense and team defense are worth the same amount. Individual offense and individual defense are not. Now, if you want to argue something like "on a scale from 1-100, Curry was a 100 offensively and a 75 defensively, while Kawhi was a 90 offensively and a 100 defensively," ok, that's something, but you pretty much have to acknowledge at the start of these conversations that individual offense is simply more important than individual defense, even if you do have to consider individual defense as a big part of the equation. In my opinion, the gap between Curry and everyone else offensively was so big that no player could've been good enough defensively to overcome it.

tredigs
03-19-2017, 03:50 AM
Love the fact that this clown just went AWOL on his own thread.

Though I do respect that you recognize how dumb you are.

nastynice
03-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Love the fact that this clown just went AWOL on his own thread.

Though I do respect that you recognize how dumb you are.

He only derives his power when being supported by the rest of his big 3. Unfortunately for him, his other two buddies recently started their own hate threads, and so stayed preoccupied with that

Jamiecballer
03-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Just curious, if you add in defense, who do you think should have won the MVP last year?

if you add in defense, imo, you basically are clarifying the answer to the question of whether it's the best player or the player judged most valuable to his team. to me the best player was, and continues to be Lebron James. much in the same way i think Jordan could have been essentially awarded MVP every season he played for like a decade.

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Unanimous? Sure.... it was a dominant and league-changing season.

I would have put in for Chris Paul myself.... Curry was equally deserving and had more impressive stats, but the Clippers doing as well as they did with Griffin out as long as he was really highlighted how important (read valuable) he was to that team.

But yeah... I couldn't argue with anybody who chose Curry. solid pick.

That said... the year LBJ was one vote shy... I mean.... and Melo getting that one pick? Come on. In hindsight, it should have been Woodson getting COY. Melo was no MVP.

LBJ should have had the honour first, but Curry was deserving.

Yanks All Day
03-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Yes. He should have been unanimous.

The real question is "should he have been the FIRST unanimous MVP in NBA history?" And that answer is no.

FlashBolt
03-20-2017, 02:33 PM
So I'm a hater when I had Curry winning the MVP last season? My question isn't based on whether or not he deserved the MVP. It's right now, if you're looking back at just how "valuable" Curry is and how they've had such a terrible streak with the disappearance of KD, people are discrediting just how valuable Barnes and Bogut were. It's crazy to think about how much talent Warriors had and maybe we overlooked just how valuable it was. Yeah, I'm totally the hater. Anything negative about sissy boy Curry and psychopath Draymond makes me a hater. Nope, actually it is factual. Curry was embarrassed by LeBron and results to taunting Jaylen Brown (LOL). Draymond attacks players with unnecessary conduct and then wonders why the refs keep calling technical fouls on him. Klay talks smack and then proceeds to choke up in the Finals (2x in a row). All the "hate" they get is warranted. What happened the other day in which Warriors were upset that OKC fans treated KD unfavorably? Or proceeding to complain to Turner about Shaq's conduct?

Leave it to Tredigs -- a renowned homer who is still in disbelief that Warriors choked a 3-1 lead to call anyone who has a different opinion a hater.

And sorry I don't respond promptly. I don't sporadically use PSD throughout the day. This topic wasn't even of much interest to me but I was just wondering what the general thought about how valuable he is. Steph is still the same player as last season -- which raises questions as to why his game has plummeted.

Saddletramp
03-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Oh man, you don't know bout flashbolt? When it comes to Warriors haters, he's part of the big 3. Other two being iknowhoops and saddletramp, lol

All 3 in their prime. Unfair

He only derives his power when being supported by the rest of his big 3. Unfortunately for him, his other two buddies recently started their own hate threads, and so stayed preoccupied with that

I see that KD isn't the only Bay Area resident that needs a safe space. Damn, you've become an insufferable homer.

For the record, he should've been the MVP last year and I would've voted for him to be my choice. In saying that, if others had earned the award unanimously before then this wouldn't be a question, but to be the first, you're going to be dissected a bit more. So yeah, I think it was deserved, but I think others earned it too and didn't get it because of ******** politics or whatever.

CousinsEvansDUO
03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Lebron should have won MVP it was a grave robbery of the highest degree

lol, please
03-21-2017, 02:04 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 but looking back, was he truly deserving of that?

*I agree he should have been MVP so let's not debate that part.

Of course, what does hindsight have to do with it anyway? You are awarded MVP for having the most impact on your team in a successful campaign, what happens after the fact is irrelevant.

Scoots
03-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Yes. He should have been unanimous.

The real question is "should he have been the FIRST unanimous MVP in NBA history?" And that answer is no.

Agreed.

Scoots
03-21-2017, 08:56 AM
I see that KD isn't the only Bay Area resident that needs a safe space. Damn, you've become an insufferable homer.

For the record, he should've been the MVP last year and I would've voted for him to be my choice. In saying that, if others had earned the award unanimously before then this wouldn't be a question, but to be the first, you're going to be dissected a bit more. So yeah, I think it was deserved, but I think others earned it too and didn't get it because of ******** politics or whatever.

I think Curry got it unanimous because of social media. With all the people in the press having to have social media presences if they voted against Curry they would have to answer why on social media for the next 10 years. The guys who didn't vote Jordan et al MVP never had to face that.

tredigs
03-21-2017, 10:23 AM
I think Curry got it unanimous because of social media. With all the people in the press having to have social media presences if they voted against Curry they would have to answer why on social media for the next 10 years. The guys who didn't vote Jordan et al MVP never had to face that.
He got it because he had one of the best single season campaigns in history and the Warriors broke the All-Time record that many thought was not an achievable feat. There was also nobody else with a case that remotely rivaled his. Had they not broken the record, a member or two would have found a way to vote somebody else. But that staple on the season made a vote for anyone else pretty much impossible to justify (and in that sense, I do agree that the transparency aspect could have played a part). Should there have been other unanimous MVP's, sure, but as the vote is commonly conducted (individual dominance coupled with team success), it's as strong a case as there has ever been.

MygirlhatesCod
03-21-2017, 11:30 AM
So I'm a hater when I had Curry winning the MVP last season? My question isn't based on whether or not he deserved the MVP. It's right now, if you're looking back at just how "valuable" Curry is and how they've had such a terrible streak with the disappearance of KD, people are discrediting just how valuable Barnes and Bogut were. It's crazy to think about how much talent Warriors had and maybe we overlooked just how valuable it was. Yeah, I'm totally the hater. Anything negative about sissy boy Curry and psychopath Draymond makes me a hater. Nope, actually it is factual. Curry was embarrassed by LeBron and results to taunting Jaylen Brown (LOL). Draymond attacks players with unnecessary conduct and then wonders why the refs keep calling technical fouls on him. Klay talks smack and then proceeds to choke up in the Finals (2x in a row). All the "hate" they get is warranted. What happened the other day in which Warriors were upset that OKC fans treated KD unfavorably? Or proceeding to complain to Turner about Shaq's conduct?

Leave it to Tredigs -- a renowned homer who is still in disbelief that Warriors choked a 3-1 lead to call anyone who has a different opinion a hater.

And sorry I don't respond promptly. I don't sporadically use PSD throughout the day. This topic wasn't even of much interest to me but I was just wondering what the general thought about how valuable he is. Steph is still the same player as last season -- which raises questions as to why his game has plummeted.

ok, so the title of this nonsense thread is "Was Stephen Curry deserving of the unanimous MVP award". and now you are saying that your argument to make LAST years MVP campaign debatable is a ten game stretch where GS went 6-4 without KD????
Why don't you just make a thread about how happy you are that kd is out and steph is not shooting well? if you are being honest that's what you were really going for.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2017, 11:33 AM
I don't think anyone else challenged his year, so yes, he should have been the runaway MVP

Scoots
03-21-2017, 01:10 PM
He got it because he had one of the best single season campaigns in history and the Warriors broke the All-Time record that many thought was not an achievable feat. There was also nobody else with a case that remotely rivaled his. Had they not broken the record, a member or two would have found a way to vote somebody else. But that staple on the season made a vote for anyone else pretty much impossible to justify (and in that sense, I do agree that the transparency aspect could have played a part). Should there have been other unanimous MVP's, sure, but as the vote is commonly conducted (individual dominance coupled with team success), it's as strong a case as there has ever been.

My point was that in years past there was always 1 or more voters who were not voting based on performance but to support the best guy on the team they cover or whatever reason. It's not that it wasn't ever as clear before who the MVP of the league was more that the voters could more easily get away with dissent.

Scoots
03-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Of course, what does hindsight have to do with it anyway? You are awarded MVP for having the most impact on your team in a successful campaign, what happens after the fact is irrelevant.

LOLP, a question on your current sig ... why does someone take advantage to get a feel for the dude's junk? When you get hit do you have someone fondle you?

tredigs
03-21-2017, 10:14 PM
My point was that in years past there was always 1 or more voters who were not voting based on performance but to support the best guy on the team they cover or whatever reason. It's not that it wasn't ever as clear before who the MVP of the league was more that the voters could more easily get away with dissent.

It's a theory. Another theory is that now that all voters have FAR more ability to witness all players in the league along with a stats explosion, they are better equipped to understand who is actually the best player in the league, and that opportunity presented Curry as the outright undeniable MVP.

lol, please
03-21-2017, 10:55 PM
LOLP, a question on your current sig ... why does someone take advantage to get a feel for the dude's junk? When you get hit do you have someone fondle you?

I put it up there to provoke fun comments like this, but, without any source to back me up on it, I think it's a method of checking your awareness, conciousness, or something of that nature. I only assume this because once I saw a clip of something similar in a diffferent context and in the comments section someone said they stuck their hands down the guys pants to wake him up, or something like that. Then of course there's the possibility that this guy just wanted to cop a feel, but who am I to judge how a man lives his life.

Scoots
03-21-2017, 11:11 PM
It's a theory. Another theory is that now that all voters have FAR more ability to witness all players in the league along with a stats explosion, they are better equipped to understand who is actually the best player in the league, and that opportunity presented Curry as the outright undeniable MVP.

Probably also true.

Scoots
03-21-2017, 11:13 PM
I put it up there to provoke fun comments like this, but, without any source to back me up on it, I think it's a method of checking your awareness, conciousness, or something of that nature. I only assume this because once I saw a clip of something similar in a diffferent context and in the comments section someone said they stuck their hands down the guys pants to wake him up, or something like that. Then of course there's the possibility that this guy just wanted to cop a feel, but who am I to judge how a man lives his life.

Dude went out on the whip ... maybe he's not cut out to be a boxer anymore :)