PDA

View Full Version : Lakers shelve $136 million in free-agent acquisitions, shut down Deng and Mozgov

More-Than-Most
03-15-2017, 02:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-shut-down-136m-in-free-agent-acquisitions-shelve-deng-mozgov-for-season/

This is pretty insane really... The deals were horrid from the beginning and a good bit of laker fans agreed but there were a few people trying to rationalize this deals and or actually say they were smart deals... Now how bad are these deals for the lakers? are they the worst free agent signings? are the lakers now in uncharted tanking territory by shutting down healthy players so they can lose games which is something but the sixers and suns have not done with their tank... thoughts?

lakerfan85
03-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Whoever said they were good deals didn't know what the hell they were talking about..

Vinylman
03-15-2017, 02:16 PM
kewl story bro

Hawkeye15
03-15-2017, 02:21 PM
I guess they could have made up bs injuries, and joined the forever line of teams that do this yearly

Avenged
03-15-2017, 02:45 PM
llullz

D Blue987
03-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Their minutes were already dwindling. I think the original poster is mad now because he knows the Sixers won't catch the Lakers for that draft spot in all likelihood. lol. lol. Never know though, that lottery is scary when you don't have a pick outside the top 3. That being said, I am fully on board with this. The season was a lost cause before the all star break anyways. Those two were crap deals to begin with and myself and anybody with a brain knew this. That is in part why Mitch and Jim are now gone who were cancers to the direction of the franchise. The only thing left for the Lakers to do is hope they land a top draft pick.

Cracka2HI!
03-15-2017, 03:26 PM
I think the Blazers signings were worse honestly. They were a couple good signings away from being a top flight contender. Instead they maxed our Turner and Crabbe and I think made a couple other dumb moves. Look at them now. The Lakers didn't really throw anything away for now. That could change if they are 2 contracts away from competing in the next 3 years. That said the Lakers signings were a fireable offense. I'm not sure Magic and Palinka are the answer. Especially Palinka. Anyone hear that dudes press conference? He's obviously a much smarter man than me, but what a cook. Praising Kobe and Vanessa for knowing to take your kid to the ER when they need stitches and saying the Lakers will bring joy to people all over the world because a Syrian refugee was apparently wearing a Kobe jersey. He's probably better behind the scenes than in front of a mic.

Leftcoast_yg
03-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Horrible, just horribly horrible.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Their minutes were already dwindling. I think the original poster is mad now because he knows the Sixers won't catch the Lakers for that draft spot in all likelihood. lol. lol. Never know though, that lottery is scary when you don't have a pick outside the top 3. That being said, I am fully on board with this. The season was a lost cause before the all star break anyways. Those two were crap deals to begin with and myself and anybody with a brain knew this. That is in part why Mitch and Jim are now gone who were cancers to the direction of the franchise. The only thing left for the Lakers to do is hope they land a top draft pick.

why would i be mad about that? the standings werent going to change much... sixers still have a pretty high chance of getting that pick lol... the lakers were always going to stay 2 or 3.... not mad in the least... people were defending these deals at one point though and this is a clear tank move... something the sixers would be crushed for... the sixers are super tanks no doubt but when have they ever sat healthy players to lose? i agree with this move by the lakers... i am pro tanking because of how top stars only want to play with top stars and that ***** on medicore or good teams and leaves no real chance of mid teams or lesser teams to close the gap without tanking or getting extremely lucky.... I am not mad.. Not in the least.

Leftcoast_yg
03-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Btw they're not making 136 million this year, misleading title and click bait post, typical sixers fans always trying to be the prettiest in a room full of ugly duckies.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2017, 03:41 PM
I think the Blazers signings were worse honestly. They were a couple good signings away from being a top flight contender. Instead they maxed our Turner and Crabbe and I think made a couple other dumb moves. Look at them now. The Lakers didn't really throw anything away for now. That could change if they are 2 contracts away from competing in the next 3 years. That said the Lakers signings were a fireable offense. I'm not sure Magic and Palinka are the answer. Especially Palinka. Anyone hear that dudes press conference? He's obviously a much smarter man than me, but what a cook. Praising Kobe and Vanessa for knowing to take your kid to the ER when they need stitches and saying the Lakers will bring joy to people all over the world because a Syrian refugee was apparently wearing a Kobe jersey. He's probably better behind the scenes than in front of a mic.

once these deals were brought up jenny should have shot her brother before allowing him to pull the trigger... firable offense is an understatement... this really hurt the lakers and that sucks for basketball.

shep33
03-15-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah, they were bad deals to say the least. We probably weren't getting any big name free agents this upcoming summer or next (maybe PG, but that's a long shot still IMO).

Still crap deals.

shep33
03-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Also, still think Portland's signings were worse, and the worst contract is still Parsons.

D Blue987
03-15-2017, 04:31 PM
why would i be mad about that? the standings werent going to change much... sixers still have a pretty high chance of getting that pick lol... the lakers were always going to stay 2 or 3.... not mad in the least... people were defending these deals at one point though and this is a clear tank move... something the sixers would be crushed for... the sixers are super tanks no doubt but when have they ever sat healthy players to lose? i agree with this move by the lakers... i am pro tanking because of how top stars only want to play with top stars and that ***** on medicore or good teams and leaves no real chance of mid teams or lesser teams to close the gap without tanking or getting extremely lucky.... I am not mad.. Not in the least.

Philly has gotten a bad rep in the past for doing this because of their draft selection history in taking the big guy in the draft and not shoring up their guard positions. You can stay in the cellar of the league for a long time by neglecting one half of the positions on the basketball court and not addressing it in the draft elsewhere or FA. Thats really why they had to part with Noel for peanuts, because he never really got to show what he could do with significant minutes, especially this season.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Philly has gotten a bad rep in the past for doing this because of their draft selection history in taking the big guy in the draft and not shoring up their guard positions. You can stay in the cellar of the league for a long time by neglecting one half of the positions on the basketball court and not addressing it in the draft elsewhere or FA. Thats really why they had to part with Noel for peanuts, because he never really got to show what he could do with significant minutes, especially this season.

that and 3 of the players they chose didn't play a nanosecond in year 1...

Bostonjorge
03-15-2017, 04:59 PM
I don't see the lakers as tanking. They are sitting to veterans that would guarantee more loses if they play. The youngs get to play more minutes and get better. If lakers shut down Russell, Randle and Ingram then it's tanking. I can guarantee these players give the lakers the best chance to win. Not Moz and Deng.

Tanking is when a team does some healthy DNP's on rookie and sophomore players. Then shutting the young players down for the rest of the season. Sixers are the only team to pull this crap. In my eyes they are the only team who truly tanks. Everyone else just plays Basketball.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Also, still think Portland's signings were worse, and the worst contract is still Parsons.

i think the blazers are just as bad as well but they likely were expecting their 2 guys to become superstars.... Which i can kind of understand the mindset i guess

More-Than-Most
03-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Btw they're not making 136 million this year, misleading title and click bait post, typical sixers fans always trying to be the prettiest in a room full of ugly duckies.

its literally the title on psd itself plus numerous articles... i just made it the thread topic.. blame the writers :shrug:

PurpleLynch
03-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Well,this season will be a tanking one also because our team is full of young and unexperienced players who should be our future. Unfortunately,some of them are not playing to a level we were expecting(Russell above all),so they will be on the market too next season. It will be Magic and Pelinka's job to clean this mess,maybe trading some of our assets to unload those bad contracts.

Anyway,we get to see who is a keeper and who is not,plus we develop further our young players and in the end,due to a mix of factors,we could also draft a good player having a bad record.

TheIlladelph16
03-15-2017, 07:12 PM

As a Sixers fan, I'm not upset about the pick. We are going to get it one way or another, and I personally don't think the Lakers will be any better next season, especially out in the West.

What I am upset about is that Adam Silver and the NBA blatantly interfered with the Sixers front office situation last year with both Colangelos. Meanwhile, out in LA, they've been doing the same thing the Sixers were/are doing. I would argue they've been doing it for multiple years too. You don't hire and continue to employ Byron Scott with that roster with winning games on your mind. The only real difference is the Mozgov and Deng signings, which the Sixers have shied away from purposely. If you want to argue that's them seriously trying to compete in the West, I would probably disagree with that.

Given the current construction of the NBA, I fully support failing, mid-level teams tanking as a rebuilding strategy. Until something changes, it's a smart strategy. I don't support the Commissioner being a hypocrite on the topic however. It reeks of bias.

mavwar53
03-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Does anyone here really think this is bad for some reason? They aren't stars, the team isn't winning this year, why not develop the youngsters?

Raps18-19 Champ
03-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Those were the 2 questionable offseason moves this year too. Even now I don't get why they ere signed to such long year deals.

eDush
03-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Whoever said they were good deals didn't know what the hell they were talking about..Jim Buss and he is upset he is no longer in control of his Lakers from what I read. I think everyone knew that :(

eDush
03-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Those were the 2 questionable offseason moves this year too. Even now I don't get why they ere signed to such long year deals.One of the Buss members knows for sure as to why but I don't think it has anything to do with bringing back the "Showtime" Lakers but I fee bad for Luke Walton cause he was part of something special :(

D Blue987
03-15-2017, 08:34 PM
As a Sixers fan, I'm not upset about the pick. We are going to get it one way or another, and I personally don't think the Lakers will be any better next season, especially out in the West.

What I am upset about is that Adam Silver and the NBA blatantly interfered with the Sixers front office situation last year with both Colangelos. Meanwhile, out in LA, they've been doing the same thing the Sixers were/are doing. I would argue they've been doing it for multiple years too. You don't hire and continue to employ Byron Scott with that roster with winning games on your mind. The only real difference is the Mozgov and Deng signings, which the Sixers have shied away from purposely. If you want to argue that's them seriously trying to compete in the West, I would probably disagree with that.

Given the current construction of the NBA, I fully support failing, mid-level teams tanking as a rebuilding strategy. Until something changes, it's a smart strategy. I don't support the Commissioner being a hypocrite on the topic however. It reeks of bias.

The Lakers have had their hands tied for numerous seasons though. They really couldn't do much because it was the Jim and Mitch show of disasters. Jeannie could have stepped in and fired them both a couple years ago but Jim publicly stated the team would be competitive by this year which it isn't and she stated she struggled with the idea of firing her family without giving him a fair shot at doing what he said. Most Lakers fans knew the writing was on the wall though when FA superstars (Melo, Aldridge, KD) started spurning meetings with executives to sign with other teams. I don't think the intention was ever to tank for this long however. The Lakers would have signed superstars if they could. They tried but failed horribly which is why both Mitch and Jim Buss are out of their respective positions with the organization. Thats really why the Lakers are sacked with Mozgov and Deng, nobody wanted to play for an ownership which people in the media stated to have "lacked direction"all this time. Thus, the Lakers were forced to sign both to ******** deals because it was the only way anybody was going to play for them. At some point the franchise had to take responsibility and hold those accountable for running the franchise into the ground. They did that and nobody who is a Lakers fan hates that they did it.

As for next season, I dont know if the team will be better or not. A lot of it hinges upon that draft pick which could give the Lakers some flexibility in moving a couple young guys. I think everyone knows the team won't return to championship caliber basketball overnight, but I certainly expect the team to start looking better on paper by the beginning of next season somehow. One thing is for sure, Magic will be able to get meetings with players and they will take him seriously much more than Jim and Mitch. Will that translate to big signings and an improved team? idk but we will see. I for one am just glad both Mitch and Jim are gone.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 09:14 PM
You know what's funny? I'm not convinced this is the right thing to do. Not because I'm anti-tanking, I'm as pro-tanking as it gets. I just think Deng and Mozgov are so bad they should be able to help you tank.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 09:16 PM

The problem wasn't tanking for Silver. It was that nobody was going to Sixers road games because they sucked so badly and the other owners were pissed about the lost revenue. But the Lakers had the Kobe retirement tour for all of these years, and even if they didn't, there are always gonna be transplants who want to see the Lakers in person. They sell tickets. The Sixers didn't, and eventually the pressure from the other owners forced Silver to step in. But I agree in general. It is ****ing stupid for the commissioner to intervene on a team's front office.

NYKnickFanatic
03-15-2017, 09:42 PM
#TrustTheProcess

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Jimbo Buss and Mitch Cupcake

:facepalm: