PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fluke Year for Finals?

AllBall
03-15-2017, 02:09 PM
At the beginning of the season it seemed to be a mostly foregone conclusion for a Warriors/Cavs rematch in the finals. However, the way things have bee lining up (with injuries and all) this could be a year where we see both conference favorites not make it. We may get something like Rockets/Wizards, Jazz/Raptors or whatever, especially if a team gets hot at the right time.

Does this seem more likely this year than in any other? With all the sports anomalies that have been happening lately I half expect it.

Thoughts?

HandsOnTheWheel
03-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Interesting thought, but no one's beating the Cavs in the east. Can't say the same for the Warriors in the West.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Cavs out of the east, I would put a 95% chance of that

Hellcrooner
03-15-2017, 03:33 PM
cavs are coming out east.

west.....may not be warriors but if anything it would be spurs.

not much room for anything else.

dantonis trick does not work in playoffs.

ManRam
03-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Spurs making it isn't ever going to feel like a "fluke" to me, even with a 73-win team adding KD. But yeah, any team besides them would've been unimaginable preseason, and while I certainly don't see anyone in the East taking down Cleveland the Warriors do seem more beatable this year than last.

Yanks All Day
03-16-2017, 08:58 AM
The Cavaliers are winning the East unless LeBron James somehow doesn't play in the playoffs.

To me, this always happens in the East. A young, upstart team gets a little hot towards the middle-end of the season and we think they'll challenge a LeBron team. Then they meet in the playoffs and it's over in 5 or 6. Can a team like Washington and Toronto steal one? Sure can. I'd even expect it. But only the Celtics are a legitimate threat to even take the Cavs 6 at this point, and that's assuming IT consistently out-plays Kyrie and LeBron is a little off.

The Warriors should win the West, assuming Kevin Durant comes back at even 85% of his health.

From the West, though, I can see any one of Memphis, Clippers, Spurs, and Rockets beating Golden State without KD. Of that bunch, though, I can only see San Antonio and Houston actually winning the West with a KD-less Warriors team.

tredigs
03-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Based on recent takes, I think the Warriors making the Finals would in fact be the fluke. And based on recent play I can hardly blame them.

Heediot
03-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Warriors with a healthy KD is still a stronger squad then a 73 win Warriors team that's just my take. This team translates better in the playoffs because you have an elite iso player in Durant in combination with the ball movement and 3 point shooting. People put too much stock into how a team/player plays in the regular season, a lot of times regular numbers and styles of play don't translate.

Avenged
03-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Hope not. Warriors/Cavaliers at 100% could be one of the greatest series of all time..

Then again, I wouldn't be too disappointed to see a new team make it.. Not only that but where's that thread where a certain someone was bragging and wanted to bet these 2 teams would make it? I think he was a mod... llullz. Ain't looking very likely now, is it? Granted it's still early :p

AllBall
04-13-2017, 01:17 PM
I still think this is the year with the greatest possibility for a fluke. Should be an interesting playoffs.

WaDe03
04-13-2017, 01:22 PM
It's going to be the Bulls vs the Warriors.

mngopher35
04-13-2017, 01:24 PM
I still think it's gonna be cavs warriors

valade16
04-13-2017, 02:02 PM
The Cavs do look vulnerable and the Celtics have played great of late, but LeBron has been to the last 6 Finals out of the East so it would be truly remarkable if the Cavs don't come out.

As for the West, it's the Warriors or the Spurs. I can't see a realistic scenario where another team makes it. My money is on the Warriors, who may have the greatest team of all-time (and in my opinion certainly has the greatest collection of prime talent in NBA history).

Bruno
04-13-2017, 02:03 PM
yes.

Cavs are vulnerable and playing a lot like the 2011 Lakers right now.

kobe4thewinbang
04-13-2017, 02:11 PM
People are worried about the Cavaliers. This is basically their "Three-Peat" season and fatigue/exhaustion is starting to show (like with the Lakers team). They couldn't even win 4 games straight to end the season and now they have the #2 seed. People don't think that matters much, but I still think it could drain them even more.

Warriors look solid after the KD injury. But I mean, anything could happen. The Clippers might finally get it together, or the Rockets might just go hot, and there is always the Spurs who have some more hops this year.

I'd take Warriors for making it over Cavaliers though at this point. LeBron needs to get it together and playing a pissed-off Paul George in the first round is either going to wake them up like that one championship team did (I think it was Celtics cuz they'd only won at home mostly).

This is not the easy road at all for the Cavaliers. And hey, Portland could bug Golden State again. You could argue that they might've upset the Warriors had Curry not gone off in that overtime and the Blazers had kept moving the ball instead of watching CJ chuck up contested shots.

I got a feeling it's going to be Durant's first title this season, in either a sweep or a 5 game series versus Washington or Toronto...maybe Boston (they do have the #1 seed). Ideally the Cavaliers will 'wake up', but the fact that no championship team has had the 22nd worst defensive rating is quite telling. I fear that they will be exhausted come Finals, especially when the Warriors eat alive their 'defense.'

Scoots
04-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Always a chance for an upset. The trip through the east this year should be harder than last year, the West is about the same.

Vee-Rex
04-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Cavs have had pretty much the worse defense since the all-star break. That's just not gonna happen in the playoffs. They have the exact same starting 5 as they did last year and none are super old.

I think the playoffs will be more intense.

Teams will study other teams and exploit their weaknesses.

The speed will slow down and there will be more halfcourt plays (Cavs rank top 5 in halfcourt defense).

LeBron will go into GOAT-mode, and not necessarily just his stats. His BBIQ will flare up, he'll study and quarterback the team on both sides of the floor, flagging sets that opponents run (Ask Dwane Casey what he did), and it'll make Cleveland better.

One of Boston or Toronto is eliminated in the 1st round.

We're gonna see a Cavs/Wizards ECF.

Fans will start whining about how the East is weak after the Cavs increase their play - whereas before they were saying how the Cavs might not make the finals.

GS will look less dominant in the playoffs than the regular season, just as they have the previous two years. They will also likely face a healthy contender in route to the finals, which never happened until the WCF last year. But they'll still be the most likely to win it all.

All the regular season BS will be put behind and players/teams will show their true colors.

TheDish87
04-13-2017, 04:41 PM
neither GSW nor the Cavs will make finals.

Spanklin
04-13-2017, 07:24 PM
Warriors aren't getting past San Antonio this year.

tredigs
04-13-2017, 08:19 PM
neither GSW nor the Cavs will make finals.

Oh, but they will. If the Celtics went all in at the break for Jimmy Butler or PG they would have a great chance, but as is they're still the favorite and I really don't see the Spurs or anyone else with a great chance against GSW (who this year are going in decently rested).

COOLbeans
04-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Warriors aren't getting past San Antonio this year.

Spanklin :clap:

TrueFan420
04-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Spanklin :clap:
lol I'm surprised he didn't say Jazz. When he jumped off the warriors bandwagon he was headed over to the Jazz.

Saddletramp
04-14-2017, 08:47 PM
I'd be surprised if the Warriors lost four games all postseason, let alone 4 in one series. Nothing else in these playoffs will surprise me.

mrblisterdundee
04-14-2017, 11:26 PM
LeBron can will the Cavaliers awake and into playoff mode and the finals. I hope he has to play an elite wing every round to warm him up for Durant or Kawhi. The Pacers will provide a surprising challenge behind George in the first round. If Milwaukee can upset Toronto, we get even better with LeBron versus Giannis. Then we just need Chicago to upset Boston and Washington, and we get LeBron versus Jimmy-Wade.

Dade County
04-14-2017, 11:34 PM
At the beginning of the season it seemed to be a mostly foregone conclusion for a Warriors/Cavs rematch in the finals. However, the way things have bee lining up (with injuries and all) this could be a year where we see both conference favorites not make it. We may get something like Rockets/Wizards, Jazz/Raptors or whatever, especially if a team gets hot at the right time.

Does this seem more likely this year than in any other? With all the sports anomalies that have been happening lately I half expect it.

Thoughts?

What?!

GS vs Cav's in the final's.... Done deal.

LOb0
04-15-2017, 01:23 AM
I'm normally "the don't worry about LeBron's team" guy, but this defense should worry the hell out of you. Raptors are going to be extremely tough. I wouldn't be shocked if they lost.

Scoots
04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
The defense thing is about habits ... the Cavs have really bad habits, and they are harder to fix than effort. I really wonder how they'll do.

Hopper15
04-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Cavs have had pretty much the worse defense since the all-star break. That's just not gonna happen in the playoffs. They have the exact same starting 5 as they did last year and none are super old.

I think the playoffs will be more intense.

Teams will study other teams and exploit their weaknesses.

The speed will slow down and there will be more halfcourt plays (Cavs rank top 5 in halfcourt defense).

LeBron will go into GOAT-mode, and not necessarily just his stats. His BBIQ will flare up, he'll study and quarterback the team on both sides of the floor, flagging sets that opponents run (Ask Dwane Casey what he did), and it'll make Cleveland better.

One of Boston or Toronto is eliminated in the 1st round.

We're gonna see a Cavs/Wizards ECF.

Fans will start whining about how the East is weak after the Cavs increase their play - whereas before they were saying how the Cavs might not make the finals.

GS will look less dominant in the playoffs than the regular season, just as they have the previous two years. They will also likely face a healthy contender in route to the finals, which never happened until the WCF last year. But they'll still be the most likely to win it all.

All the regular season BS will be put behind and players/teams will show their true colors.

Not even close. If anything they will be even more dominant in the postseason. If Klay or Steph had an off night shooting in the past they were a little vulnerable. But now they have an elite SF that's extremely efficient and can get them a trip to the free throw line at anytime when the 3's aren't falling or if the game slows down.

LA_Raiders
04-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Cavs will not make the finals. They are not playing D at all; and LeFlop and his +40min per game is going to wear him out.

ewing
04-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Wizard/Spurs