PDA

View Full Version : What is the Most Impressive Feat of Longevity in NBA history?

Quinnsanity
03-14-2017, 11:37 PM
Saw a post on reddit about John Stockton and there's been a lot of talk about longevity in the Duncan/Kawhi thread, so I thought I'd bring this up. What's the single most impressive feat of longevity in NBA history? I'll throw out a few candidates:

- Kareem winning Finals MVP 14 years apart.

- John Stockton playing 17 full seasons (he played 82 games 16 times and played every game in the lockout shortened '99 season).

- LeBron averaging 20-5-5 14 years in a row (and counting, how many in a row would he have to do to win this thread?)

- Michael Jordan making the All Star team every season of his career that it was possible (wasn't possible in '94-'95 because his return came after the All Star break)(also note that Jerry West, Paul Arizin and Bob Pettit did it but that was pre-merger so I don't really count it, and Yao Ming did but... well... China).

- Tim Duncan making an All NBA team 17 years apart.

Any others that I'm forgetting? Which of these is most impressive if I'm not?

mightybosstone
03-14-2017, 11:45 PM
Those are some great ones. If Lebron keeps his Finals streak alive a few more years, that would certainly be impressive. Also, you mention Lebron's 20-5-5 for 14 straight seasons, but I think his streak of 25-5-5 for 13 consecutive seasons is far more impressive.

As far as team longevity goes, the two that come to mind are the Celtics winning titles in eight consecutive years or 11 of 13 back in the 50s-60s or perhaps it's the Spurs winning 50+ games for 18 consecutive seasons, which would easily have been 20 if not for the lockout-shortened 98-99 season.

europagnpilgrim
03-15-2017, 12:32 AM
All are pretty impressive with Jabbar/Lebron right at the top with Stockton right there

being healthy is the most impressive and comes with some major luck with all the running up and down and games played

if you want to knock West/Pettit and Yao then you have to knock Jordan because who was the shooting guards during his time in the East, John Starks/Dan Majerle/Ehlo/G Wilkins/Dumars? I mean damn he should have made it as the starting SG every year easily, Miller or Dumars was like the 2nd best SG for years in the East while Drexler/Richmond was out West and they were his strongest competiton for most part

Pfeifer
03-15-2017, 01:45 AM
All are pretty impressive with Jabbar/Lebron right at the top with Stockton right there

being healthy is the most impressive and comes with some major luck with all the running up and down and games played

if you want to knock West/Pettit and Yao then you have to knock Jordan because who was the shooting guards during his time in the East, John Starks/Dan Majerle/Ehlo/G Wilkins/Dumars? I mean damn he should have made it as the starting SG every year easily, Miller or Dumars was like the 2nd best SG for years in the East while Drexler/Richmond was out West and they were his strongest competiton for most part

Richmond was so good.

mrblisterdundee
03-15-2017, 02:24 AM
I've always thought of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's career as the most impressive feat of longevity. It's an amalgam of production, achievement and duration unmatched by anyone.
Michael Jordan's success from 1990 to 1997, taking into consideration the midweek sojourn for baseball, is probably my second, considering the difficulty of making and winning that many ships. LeBron James' career probably rounds out the top-three.

DanG
03-15-2017, 04:34 AM
Kobe's 2012-2013 season > Duncan's 2012-2013 season

27/6/6 on 46% shooting in his 17th season while leading a dysfunctional team to the playoffs. Also, making the All-NBA 1st team over Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Dwyane Wade is far more impressive than making it over Marc Gasol and a half-injured Dwight Howard.

Duncan's season was great, but putting up 18/10 under a 15 year old Gregg Popovich system isn't better than Kobe's season.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 05:20 AM
Kobe's 2012-2013 season > Duncan's 2012-2013 season

27/6/6 on 46% shooting in his 17th season while leading a dysfunctional team to the playoffs. Also, making the All-NBA 1st team over Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Dwyane Wade is far more impressive than making it over Marc Gasol and a half-injured Dwight Howard.

Duncan's season was great, but putting up 18/10 under a 15 year old Gregg Popovich system isn't better than Kobe's season.

Duncan was great before Kobe was, though. Kobe wasn't really Kobe until Year 4 ('99-'00) whereas Duncan was All NBA 1st team as a rookie ('97-'98). If it's a matter of who was great longer, it's Duncan, no question.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 05:21 AM
Those are some great ones. If Lebron keeps his Finals streak alive a few more years, that would certainly be impressive. Also, you mention Lebron's 20-5-5 for 14 straight seasons, but I think his streak of 25-5-5 for 13 consecutive seasons is far more impressive.

As far as team longevity goes, the two that come to mind are the Celtics winning titles in eight consecutive years or 11 of 13 back in the 50s-60s or perhaps it's the Spurs winning 50+ games for 18 consecutive seasons, which would easily have been 20 if not for the lockout-shortened 98-99 season.

Damn, I was so fixated on what he'd done for his entire career that I totally missed that. I mean, if he really goes like 15 or 16 straight years at 25-5-5... just holy ****.

PurpleLynch
03-15-2017, 06:45 AM
Lebron's record is insane,I think two more season and he has the crown.

MJ and Chamberlain's seven consecutive leading scorer titles are also great feats of longevity.

Vinylman
03-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Duncan was great before Kobe was, though. Kobe wasn't really Kobe until Year 4 ('99-'00) whereas Duncan was All NBA 1st team as a rookie ('97-'98). If it's a matter of who was great longer, it's Duncan, no question.

not gonna debate who was better but I hope you realize how ridiculous your comment was... Kobe in year 4 was the same age as Duncan in his year 1...

ewing
03-15-2017, 07:42 AM
Manute Bol guy was 7'6

IndyRealist
03-15-2017, 07:49 AM
Karl Malone needs to be up there as well. Don't remember the exact number, but he missed like 10 games in 18 years or something like that.

mightybosstone
03-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Damn, I was so fixated on what he'd done for his entire career that I totally missed that. I mean, if he really goes like 15 or 16 straight years at 25-5-5... just holy ****.

Yeah, I checked the runs of guys who could feasibly have come close to this—Jordan, Kobe, West and Oscar—and none of those guys can boast a consistent statline that productive over that long a period of time. They come close, but they all have years of decline in one of those stats and/or dropoff at the end of their prime after 10-12 years. Lebron could feasibly run that streak to 15+ seasons, which would be remarkable. I don't know that we'll ever see that kind of consistent overall production from a player again in our lifetimes.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2017, 01:59 PM
it's easily AC Green's streak

valade16
03-15-2017, 02:12 PM
I would say Kareem's career was a more impressive display of longevity than Tim Duncan's however in regards to the 2 feats, Kareem winning Finals MVP 14 years apart or Duncan being on an All-NBA team 17 years apart I have to go Duncan there only because Finals MVP is playing well for up to 7 games whereas All-NBA is being among the top 15-ish players for the entire season.

Scoots
03-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Stockton was the first to come to mind when I saw the title.

He was a small slow white guy who BANGED people around ... and he did it an an all-star level for 19 years? He was a freak of longevity.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 09:07 PM
not gonna debate who was better but I hope you realize how ridiculous your comment was... Kobe in year 4 was the same age as Duncan in his year 1...

Which also means Duncan was three years older in Year 17 than Kobe was...

This goes both ways. Duncan was simply great longer than Kobe was. You can argue all you want about whose peak was better, but Duncan's longevity was more impressive.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 09:10 PM
I would say Kareem's career was a more impressive display of longevity than Tim Duncan's however in regards to the 2 feats, Kareem winning Finals MVP 14 years apart or Duncan being on an All-NBA team 17 years apart I have to go Duncan there only because Finals MVP is playing well for up to 7 games whereas All-NBA is being among the top 15-ish players for the entire season.

If you really wanted to argue for Kareem, another insane feat of longevity of his is that he made 1st Team All NBA 15 years apart ('71 and '86). He made 2nd Team in 1970 as well, so he did do it 16 years apart, and there was no third team which Duncan made in his 17th year so maybe Kareem would've matched it.

valade16
03-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Which also means Duncan was three years older in Year 17 than Kobe was...

This goes both ways. Duncan was simply great longer than Kobe was. You can argue all you want about whose peak was better, but Duncan's longevity was more impressive.

Was it? Duncan's minutes were restricted for much of the back half of his career to prolong it. He played 31 MPG the first 13 years then dipped to below 30 for the rest of his career except 1 season.

Kobe was still playing 38 MPG in his 17th season.

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2017, 12:46 AM
Stockton is it for me.

At 40 years old, he was still averaging 10 assists per36, enough to have led the league in assists that season, and eve in limited minutes he still finished in the top five.

Can you image a 40-year-old finishing in the top five of any major statistical category?

And he was still shooting over .500 from inside the arc and had a respectable .360 from down town. He had another couple seasons in him. Had Malone stayed, he would have played another year or two I bet.

Kareem was very fortunate to have a great roster around him until he finished, and he played very well to the end, there is no denying that. I'm a little more impressed with Duncan, but Kareem is a very special case.

Malone follows those guys. Had he stayed in Utah, he would have had another 20ppg season I'm sure.

Those guys are all incredible. But Stockton is the most mind-blowing to me. He played better at 40 than he did at 22, and was outplaying guys 12 years younger than him. And he wasn't letting up on the steals either.

Dumbfounding.

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2017, 01:06 AM
I felt like Moses got a bum wrap because of Bob Weiss. Weiss gave Jon Koncak the starting job and more minutes, despite the fact that Malone had him beat across the board. I have no clue why. That team could have been a contender with Malone suiting up for 36 minutes a game. Or at least 30.

After that, because he was 36 by then, I felt like other teams weren't interested in giving him a significant role, but he continued to play at a high level. He was a double-digit rebounder per36 every year, even at 39.

The Bucks gave him a shot, but I think he had an injury his second or third year there.

Koncak... can you imagine being a HOF and some dumb @$$ coach giving your minutes to that bum? And for no reason. It wasn't like they were 'developing the youth'. Koncak was 27 and had already proven he was a chump by then. And the Hawks drafted him a 5 over, Oakley, K. Malone, Chris Mullen and AC Green.

Quinnsanity
03-16-2017, 02:24 AM
Was it? Duncan's minutes were restricted for much of the back half of his career to prolong it. He played 31 MPG the first 13 years then dipped to below 30 for the rest of his career except 1 season.

Kobe was still playing 38 MPG in his 17th season.

Compare the per 36 numbers if you'd prefer. Duncan's rebounds stayed within a range of 10.5-12.2 literally every year of his career. Other than the last one, his scoring stayed within a 5.5 point range (17.1-22.6). His field goal percentage was nearly identical every year, so were his blocks, his defense was remarkable through the end, Duncan was a superstar from Day 1 and remained so until arguably his 19th season. That just wasn't the case for Kobe. It took him longer to get there and he fell off faster. There are certainly different circumstances involved, but I don't think it's at all possible to suggest Kobe had more longevity than Duncan did.

If you're really concerned about the minutes, Kobe in his entire career played around 1,300 more minutes than Duncan did, but he also played an extra season. If we lop off Kobe's rookie year so that we're looking at the exact same timeframe, he played only around 200 more minutes, which divided by 19 years is something like 20 extra minutes per season. Duncan was better for longer within that timeframe.

the avenger
03-16-2017, 04:40 AM
Charles Barkley averaging a double double for 15 straight seasons. Last time at the age of 37 while being 6'4 1/2, half-crippled, alcohol addicted and overwheight.

IKnowHoops
03-16-2017, 05:16 AM

And its not close. Its impossible.

Yanks All Day
03-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Brian Scalabrine played 11 straight years in the NBA and his best season ever was 6.3 ppg and 4.5 rpg in Year 4. He stayed in the NBA for eleven years despite not being good at basketball. That's a pretty cool streak.

mightybosstone
03-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Yeah, if we're just talking longevity and not necessarily prolonged excellence, then I think Green's streak is the clear winner in this conversation. When you consider he played in 1,100+ consecutive games and the player with the longest current streak is Tristan Thompson at like 400+, that's truly remarkable.

But if we're talking most impressive feat, I'd probably go with some of the other guys we've discussed. Green was a really solid player on some really good teams. But he was a role player at best many of those seasons. In his defense, though, it is really cool that he started all 18 playoff games for the 86-87 championship Showtime Lakers AND all 23 playoff games for the 2000 championship Shaq/Kobe Lakers team. Two completely different teams in two completely different eras, and he was a key cog in both titles.

ewing
03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Yeah, if we're just talking longevity and not necessarily prolonged excellence, then I think Green's streak is the clear winner in this conversation. When you consider he played in 1,100+ consecutive games and the player with the longest current streak is Tristan Thompson at like 400+, that's truly remarkable.

But if we're talking most impressive feat, I'd probably go with some of the other guys we've discussed. Green was a really solid player on some really good teams. But he was a role player at best many of those seasons. In his defense, though, it is really cool that he started all 18 playoff games for the 86-87 championship Showtime Lakers AND all 23 playoff games for the 2000 championship Shaq/Kobe Lakers team. Two completely different teams in two completely different eras, and he was a key cog in both titles.

I honestly thought we were talking about him not getting laid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye15
03-16-2017, 01:37 PM

I was referring to his streak that gave him his nickname..

Avenged
03-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Saw a post on reddit about John Stockton and there's been a lot of talk about longevity in the Duncan/Kawhi thread, so I thought I'd bring this up. What's the single most impressive feat of longevity in NBA history? I'll throw out a few candidates:

- Kareem winning Finals MVP 14 years apart.

- John Stockton playing 17 full seasons (he played 82 games 16 times and played every game in the lockout shortened '99 season).

- LeBron averaging 20-5-5 14 years in a row (and counting, how many in a row would he have to do to win this thread?)

- Michael Jordan making the All Star team every season of his career that it was possible (wasn't possible in '94-'95 because his return came after the All Star break)(also note that Jerry West, Paul Arizin and Bob Pettit did it but that was pre-merger so I don't really count it, and Yao Ming did but... well... China).

- Tim Duncan making an All NBA team 17 years apart.

Any others that I'm forgetting? Which of these is most impressive if I'm not?

Not saying his is the best nor the most impressive but any conversation/debate about longevity has to include sir Colby Briant IMO. What he did in the league, for as long as he did it (even with a broken down body) is impressive. The guy would not miss time unless he absolutely had to.

IKnowHoops
03-16-2017, 01:48 PM

:laugh2:

IKnowHoops
03-16-2017, 01:56 PM
But for real, whatever Lebron ends up with will easily beat anything previously done in NBA history when it comes to longevity.

IKnowHoops
03-16-2017, 01:59 PM
But I will say the most impressive longevity stat, and maybe stat period for me is Mike's scoring titles basically every year he played.

Chronz
03-16-2017, 02:09 PM
I was referring to his streak that gave him his nickname..

Mean Green Machine?

Small time green

no game green?

Hawkeye15
03-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Mean Green Machine?

Small time green

no game green?

The Virg

MygirlhatesCod
03-16-2017, 03:52 PM
I think the spurs consistency is unbelievable. All time win/loss mark of 62.1% (2,006–1,226).
For a player I go with Steve nash putting up four 40-50-90 seasons. being capable of doing that in one season is amazing. it truly is an underrated feat!