PDA

View Full Version : Were Wade drafted by Detroit...

JasonJohnHorn
03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
How would this have affected his career arc and all time ranking?

He would have pulled off a title as a rookie, and he would have fit in perfectly with the rotation as a combo guard. He played PG for Miami that year, but has played SG since his sophomore season. Assuming that Larry Brown gave him back up minutes at both guard positions (which isn't a gimmie since Brown was notorious for not playing rookies.... ironic since he was a college coach), Wade would have been in a position to win back-to-back title in his first two seasons (Detroit only lost by a basket in the following finals), and might have even won 3 in a row (it was Wade's Miami who beat the Pistons and won the title in 06 after all).

Wade would have also been developing as a player and improving as Detroit's roster was declining, meaning that the team who made 6-straight conference finals appearances would have a better chance each year to make it to the finals.

With a higher ring count without LBJ's help, and his prime years spent on a title contender instead of a Miami championship team who went into a sudden rebuild mode, his best years would have all been spent winning.

It would have also made it easier for Detroit to lure free agent at the MLE or vet-min.

Would this have changed the way people view Wade? Would he have been in the conversation with Jordan and Kobe instead of Drexler and Gervin? Would his ring count have been higher?

Dade County
03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Can a Mode closed this thread please. Wade can only be drafted by one team and one team only LoL

I like the idea better if it's Melo in this position, because he would have gave Detroit the offensive punch they needed.

I don't want to think about Wade being drafted by another team. :(

Dade County
03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
But to answer your question, Wade or Melo would have succeeded with the Pistons and both would have multiple championship rings.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Don't forget the Bucks fell the maximum number spots downward after the lottery. So that would of put Bucks at #4 or #5? Maximum spots to fall is what 3? Bucks at #5 prior to lottery drawing. Also playing for Marquette. Good chance if Bucks were at #5 they would of taken him.

Big Zo
03-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Thank God we never have to find out. :)

Heediot
03-14-2017, 07:37 AM
He would share time with Rip the first year. Broke out the 2nd year. Pistons would have traded Rip for a young big man to groom. Probably a couple of ships in the least. Pistons defense would have been even better. Maybe the spacing gets a little worse as Rip was money in the mid range, but Wade's effectiveness getting to the hole and his overall game supersedes what Rip brings.

Burkey3472
03-14-2017, 08:08 AM
There's a good chance they 3-peat during that run. They took SA to a 7th game, so its certainly possible they have the advance with a Wade who was breaking out. The next year they probably go to the finals again and beat Dallas because Miami has no Wade.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 05:26 AM
First of all, there was never any chance of Wade or Bosh ending up in Detroit. That draft had such a clear top 3 of Bron, Darko and Melo. There was never a thought of anyone else in the top 3. And Wade especially was largely seen as over drafted at 5 at the time. People thought the Heat were gonna take Chris Kaman.

But ok, I'll play along. There are a bunch of variables to consider when it comes to Wade/Melo/Bosh in Detroit. I think the biggest one is that it might mean the Pistons don't trade for Rasheed. You never know, they might just think they wouldn't have the minutes available, even Wade and Melo aren't the same position, or they might've just been satisfied with their team. They'd been getting by alright with Mehmet Okur and Elden Campbell starting, and if one of the rookies really improved their team they might've just run with what they had. If they don't have Rasheed they might not win that title.

Who knows what other variables it effects. Maybe Larry Brown stays longer if he sees a young star developing (and doesn't have the ring for that matter). Maybe they keep Ben Wallace without Rasheed there. I think there are too many variables to give a very complete answer.

RowBTrice
03-15-2017, 09:20 AM
He would of won more rings with Detroit than he did Miami.

Quinnsanity
03-15-2017, 09:12 PM

I'm almost positive this isn't true. You're essentially betting that he wins four in a row from '04-'07 with this statement, because once the Celtics arise in '08 they would've beaten the Pistons even with Wade, then you have the Lakers in '09-'10 against a declining Pistons team and then post-2010 belongs to LeBron and whoever he decides to team up with (he was never going to Detroit, so my guess is that he goes to Chicago where Rose and Noah are waiting and brings Bosh along with him).

Heediot
03-16-2017, 08:03 AM
I'm almost positive this isn't true. You're essentially betting that he wins four in a row from '04-'07 with this statement, because once the Celtics arise in '08 they would've beaten the Pistons even with Wade, then you have the Lakers in '09-'10 against a declining Pistons team and then post-2010 belongs to LeBron and whoever he decides to team up with (he was never going to Detroit, so my guess is that he goes to Chicago where Rose and Noah are waiting and brings Bosh along with him).

I think a Prime Wade in Detroit matches up well vs. Boston and could hold their own. No Guarantees but Boston (Big 3) was just as Old as Detroit.

YAALREADYKNO
03-16-2017, 12:33 PM

Assuming he doesn't get hurt like how he did In Miami for those 2 seasons after the 06 finals