PDA

View Full Version : What player could you see pulling off what Dirk did in 2011?

Chronz
03-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Was surprised to find Melo around the same age as Dirk during that miraculous run. Would it really such a stretch for someone like him to still attain that ultimate moment?

I remember what a joke everyone on that Dallas team had become around that time, not to be harsh but without that run we remember Dirk for his vulnerabilities vs Miami/GS, we lol at Marion's ego for ever thinking leaving Steve Nash was a good idea, ditto for Cubes. Jason Kidd doesn't lose much but the "Kidd trade" retains its fail stamp, possibly. Deshaun never backs up his Bron beef. The Jet loses the most, his entire big clutch shooter stems mostly from this run, overall he becomes known as the biggest playoff underachiever and has to get his tat removed. Peja comes in 2nd, without the tat removal of course.

Might not be possible today but I dont think it should take another decade.

flea
03-08-2017, 10:04 PM
I could see Marc Gasol doing it with the right mix of veteran role players and health, like Dirk had. Even though the 2011 team had some injuries (Butler being the notable one) they still had a balanced 8 man rotation, which is all you really need in the NBA playoffs even if you've got an old roster. The main difference would obviously be that Gasol wouldn't score as much, and may not even lead his team in scoring, but his overall impact would probably make it clearly his chip.

Dade County
03-08-2017, 11:01 PM
You mean having the so called best player in the game, avg under 2pts for 4 straight 4th qtrs in the Final's.

There can always be another Dirk, so as long as the other team main player doesn't show up.

LOb0
03-08-2017, 11:09 PM
I might be crazy for saying this but, if everything broke correctly and other teams had some injuries or a LeBron level choke job I could see Isaiah Thomas getting it done.

Avenged
03-08-2017, 11:14 PM
I might be crazy for saying this but, if everything broke correctly and other teams had some injuries or a LeBron level choke job I could see Isaiah Thomas getting it done.

Agreed. Was gonna say him as well but maybe I'm just caught in the moment. Then again, he does have a good team around him so..

ewing
03-08-2017, 11:33 PM
other then kristrap?

Redrum187
03-09-2017, 12:19 AM
Any current players? I don't think so... The player would need to be capable of being the best player on the planet... At the time it was LeBron, but for the postseason Dirk turned it up.

People (mostly Heat fans) want to pretend like it's all LeBron James' fault... no... Dirk just took it away from them. He was hungrier... After the refs gave the chip to the Heat in 06', the Mavs retooled with hungry vets... Dirk wasn't going to let Wade and the Heat steal another one from him. Peja, Marion, Kidd... all hungry role players. Hard to imagine lightning striking the same place twice.

BKLYNpigeon
03-09-2017, 12:58 AM

Try winning a playoff series under Brad Stevens first.

europagnpilgrim
03-09-2017, 01:02 AM
You mean having the so called best player in the game, avg under 2pts for 4 straight 4th qtrs in the Final's.

There can always be another Dirk, so as long as the other team main player doesn't show up.

exactly

now go back and watch him destroy a way better team defense in the previous round and its clear as day he was either told by the higher ups to freeze himself out or just decided to play like **** only to showcase what he is truly made of the following Finals in 2012, he clearly was not engaged in that Dallas series unless he was still shell shocked from that 07' beat down from the Spurs

There is no way a Thibs style defense can get destroyed by Lebron then next round a Jason Terry guarded Lebron can get self checked, along with a old but reliable Marion as the other defender, that reaks of a fix in my book

the Mavs reminded me of a baseball team catching fire the final month and carrying over to the postseason, they caught fire at the right time and Dirk went into Hulk mode

Raps18-19 Champ
03-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Westbrook.

LOb0
03-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Try winning a playoff series under Brad Stevens first.

Okay so I'll wait till next month.

kobe4thewinbang
03-09-2017, 04:28 AM
DeRozan had a strong start, then fell off a bit, but lately he's been real clutch. I think if Lowry gets back mostly healthy and able to contribute, they might be able to upset Cleveland if DeRozan stays this hot.

Chronz
03-09-2017, 10:47 AM
other then kristrap?

So you're saying Kristaps will go a LONG time without a ring, look like it may never happen, then suddenly win one near the tail end of his peak?

YAALREADYKNO
03-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Well according to Colin Cowherd anybody who is physical and tough can get it done because Dirk is a top 60 player in his eyes because he's too finesse

xxplayerxx23
03-09-2017, 01:04 PM
So you're saying Kristaps will go a LONG time without a ring, look like it may never happen, then suddenly win one near the tail end of his peak?

Probably the way the Knicks build things. And it would most likely be elsewhere.

Redrum187
03-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Also consider the opposition the Mavs faced... a really good Portland team in the first round (48 win team), the 2x defending champs (Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom), OKC (Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka), then the Heat's big 3 (LeBron, Wade, Bosh).

It wasn't just the finals that Dirk killed it... it was the entire postseason against elite opposition. I've not seen any of the names mention do anything substantial in the postseason... I guess I would need to see something extraordinary to be convinced they could do what Dirk did. He arguably had the greatest postseason run in NBA history... =/

ChiSox219
03-09-2017, 03:03 PM
I remember picking against the Mavs every single round that year they won the title. One of the most astonishing runs we'll ever see given the teams they beat.

I could see Chris Paul doing something similar.

LOb0
03-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Well according to Colin Cowherd anybody who is physical and tough can get it done because Dirk is a top 60 player in his eyes because he's too finesse

I refuse to listen to that c**t. He makes Skip seems smart.

Big Zo
03-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Dion Waiters. ;)

ewing
03-09-2017, 03:55 PM
I remember picking against the Mavs every single round that year they won the title. One of the most astonishing runs we'll ever see given the teams they beat.

I could see Chris Paul doing something similar.

He's too unselfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmellofan15
03-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Idk bc Dirk was always a force on the court because of how unguardable he was, but was taken way too lightly often times in his career.

Guys who have a knack for scoring like that usually don't fly under the radar the way he does. The heat didn't realize how big of a threat he was until it was too late. So much for him faking sick lmao.

YAALREADYKNO
03-11-2017, 08:36 AM
I refuse to listen to that c**t. He makes Skip seems smart.

Lmao you right about that

mrblisterdundee
03-13-2017, 10:24 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Harden. He's so damn wily and awesome at making his teammates better, and can score from almost anywhere. He can even play defense now and again, like blocking Irving's shot last night.
Just look at his current performance. Harden's the only star on a Houston team with the third-best record.

Bostonjorge
03-14-2017, 02:19 AM
Don't know if it can be done again. Dirk just took his game to a new level that playoff series. The scouting report on how to shut him down was out on him for a few seasons come playoff time. Putting taller guards always did the trick but that didn't work against this new dirk. Coaches didn't know what to do. Follow the scouting report or have a slower big guard Dirk.

Now what I can see happening is Westbrook taking down Houston in the first round and SA in the second round.

JasonJohnHorn
03-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Doing what Dirk did specifically? Hard to say. It is a positional issue. He's a special player with a unique skill set. Strong post moves and can step back for the jumper (reminiscent of Jordan's fadeaway), and also has a 3-pt shot.

Not a lot of players have that combo of skills. Bird is the first one who comes to mind. And he was a better passer and rebounder. So I think Bird would have done much better in that situation than Dirk.

KD is the next guy that pops into my head, though he's a SF, not a PF. Not quite what Dirk was on the block, but he'd give them as much as Dirk did on offense and on the glass, and perhaps a little more defensively.

But who else? Statistically, Love is comparable during his Minny days, but I'm not sure he's got the confidence to take that load like Dirk.

That said, I think Duncan, Pau Gasol, Barley, and Garnett could have all taken and equally talented roster the distance with slightly different skill sets in the other players. You'd need spot-up shooters to compensate for Dirk's 3pt shooting, which none of those players have. I know the name that will get laughed at is Gasol, but Gasol remains a grossly underrated player, and he took a garbage roster in Memphis to the post season in a deep western conference, and when he got on the big stage, he answered the all. Now we see where Chicago is without him, and how well the Spurs are doing with him, even at his age.

But none of those guys have Dirks' 3pt shooting, so I'm not sure any of them would have won a title with that specific roster.

So... that specific roster.... I could only say Bird with any certainty. And likely KD.

Mr.B
03-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Don't know if it can be done again. Dirk just took his game to a new level that playoff series. The scouting report on how to shut him down was out on him for a few seasons come playoff time. Putting taller guards always did the trick but that didn't work against this new dirk. Coaches didn't know what to do. Follow the scouting report or have a slower big guard Dirk.

Now what I can see happening is Westbrook taking down Houston in the first round and SA in the second round.

That's not really true. Before Dirk developed his post up game it was smaller defenders that bothered him most. Guys like Bruce Bowen, Stephen Jackson, and Matt Barnes gave him fits. That's when he added that one legged fade away. He needed another go to move in order to score on the smaller defenders that would just crowd him. He needed to be able to get separation, and since he was taller than those guys he he developed a shot that was unguardable.

Mr.B
03-18-2017, 03:17 PM
To answer the question though of which current players could pull off what Dirk did I think there are a few that are the unquestioned star of their team, and good enough to win their 1st title towards the end of their prime.

DeRozan
Harden
Westbrook
Lillard

I left out guys like Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Cousins and Anthony Davis because I'm not certain they are the unquestioned star/leader of their own team. Also left out guys like Melo and Dwight Howard because they are already past their prime.

All of those guys are good enough but do any of them play for a team that's committed and smart enough to put the right kind of team around them?

Pfeifer
03-18-2017, 03:27 PM
To answer the question though of which current players could pull off what Dirk did I think there are a few that are the unquestioned star of their team, and good enough to win their 1st title towards the end of their prime.

DeRozan
Harden
Westbrook
Lillard

I left out guys like Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Cousins and Anthony Davis because I'm not certain they are the unquestioned star/leader of their own team. Also left out guys like Melo and Dwight Howard because they are already past their prime.

All of those guys are good enough but do any of them play for a team that's committed and smart enough to put the right kind of team around them?

Im a Raptors fan, no way Derozan is in the convo. Just my opinion. Lowry is easily the best player on the team. I could see him doing it if everything goes their way but it would be extremely surprising.

If the Knicks could ever put a team around KP I could see him dominating a playoff series in thr same way. There just isnt many players in that realm.

mngopher35
03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
I don't think Dirk had some incredible post season unmatched in history like some seem to imply so my answer will be different and pretty tough to answer without a crystal ball (and currently not thinking someone is in position to overtake the top teams). Whichever superstar has the perfect group supporting him and stepping up with help along the way could have a run like this. Maybe CP3 is in best spot right now for this but I am not sure I trust the support to cover the gap.

This is not to take away from Dirk as before the ring he was easily underrated by the masses but people just weight that ring overboard now to make up for it. Look at his numbers in the years prior it isn't like he magically became a beast with his production, he just had his similar stats/impact but with a great cast stepping up and of course the clutch moments as well as the clincher to close out games (aka I understand while not his best stats there was value outside just the numbers clearly there to cover the gap, just pointing out how it wasn't some level we had never seen as it wasn't even his best production wise). It was a very good run but individually I don't think he all of a sudden started playing at a level we had never seen before or anything. The key to this run was just as much about the supporting cast stepping up more than normal (and LBJ choking which imo go together as a team effort).

CP3, Westy, maybe even Harden come to mind as guys without rings that can carry a team for a run but I don't think any of them have enough support come playoffs atm. Boston has very good support but I am not sure IT is a superstar on that level.

bootsy
03-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Could see Embiid one day if healthy. He's got the Olajuwon type traits, who did it before Dirk and did it twice. I know he had Clyde but Clyde was not in his prime.

Jeffy25
03-19-2017, 10:23 PM
I don't think Dirk had some incredible post season unmatched in history like some seem to imply so my answer will be different and pretty tough to answer without a crystal ball (and currently not thinking someone is in position to overtake the top teams). Whichever superstar has the perfect group supporting him and stepping up with help along the way could have a run like this. Maybe CP3 is in best spot right now for this but I am not sure I trust the support to cover the gap.

This is not to take away from Dirk as before the ring he was easily underrated by the masses but people just weight that ring overboard now to make up for it. Look at his numbers in the years prior it isn't like he magically became a beast with his production, he just had his similar stats/impact but with a great cast stepping up and of course the clutch moments as well as the clincher to close out games (aka I understand while not his best stats there was value outside just the numbers clearly there to cover the gap, just pointing out how it wasn't some level we had never seen as it wasn't even his best production wise). It was a very good run but individually I don't think he all of a sudden started playing at a level we had never seen before or anything. The key to this run was just as much about the supporting cast stepping up more than normal (and LBJ choking which imo go together as a team effort).

CP3, Westy, maybe even Harden come to mind as guys without rings that can carry a team for a run but I don't think any of them have enough support come playoffs atm. Boston has very good support but I am not sure IT is a superstar on that level.

To piggy back on this.

I like Dirk, I think he's underated by most.

But he probably had the easiest path to a chip he would ever have in his career.

Gasol and LeBron had their worst career playoff series against the Mavs that year, and they didn't have to face the Spurs who got surprised by the Thunder who the Mavs were able to beat in 5 games as Durant and Westbrook were just 22 and Ibaka and Harden 21.

That was a once in a lifetime opportunity out of the West for Dirk.

Malone and Stockton would have won a chip that year, Barkley, etc.

Maybe even Iverson could have.

I love Dirk, again, I think he's very under-rated and easy to pair with a defense glass cleaner and a good point guard and you have a good chance to win. But that was just an easy path for him that year.

bootsy
03-19-2017, 11:55 PM
To piggy back on this.

I like Dirk, I think he's underated by most.

But he probably had the easiest path to a chip he would ever have in his career.

Gasol and LeBron had their worst career playoff series against the Mavs that year, and they didn't have to face the Spurs who got surprised by the Thunder who the Mavs were able to beat in 5 games as Durant and Westbrook were just 22 and Ibaka and Harden 21.

That was a once in a lifetime opportunity out of the West for Dirk.

Malone and Stockton would have won a chip that year, Barkley, etc.

Maybe even Iverson could have.

I love Dirk, again, I think he's very under-rated and easy to pair with a defense glass cleaner and a good point guard and you have a good chance to win. But that was just an easy path for him that year.

Wrong. The Spurs lost to Memphis in the first round not OKC. I don't think the Spurs get that far and it's not like Dirk hadn't beaten them before in a series. They also swept the two time defending champion Lakers, not just beat but SWEPT them. So none of that was easy.

Jeffy25
03-20-2017, 12:22 AM
Wrong. The Spurs lost to Memphis in the first round not OKC. I don't think the Spurs get that far and it's not like Dirk hadn't beaten them before in a series. They also swept the two time defending champion Lakers, not just beat but SWEPT them. So none of that was easy.

You are right, I didn't remember who beat the Spurs.

Gasol was really bad in that 2011 series (12.5 PPG on .422 shooting)

While Dirk and Terry were playing great and shooting great.

Also, Kobe wasn't that good that series either.

I felt like it was the best path they could have had.

And Spurs won 61 games that year, and lost in the first round.

CousinsEvansDUO
03-20-2017, 07:33 PM
I could see a player like skal, an efficient Kareem Duncan level dominant big with the fortitude of magic Johnson. No doubt about it you need a player with skals skills to pull off what dirk did and he has best chance.

mightybosstone
03-21-2017, 01:29 PM
It will seem like kind of a homer pick, but I could see Harden pulling off this season what Dirk did in 2011. The teams are/were both No. 3 seeds and were overlooked heading into the playoffs. They both are/were made up for role players and elite shooters who could feasibly win them any game against any opponent if they get hot. And they both have a superstar roster in front of them playing in its first season together that could feasibly underwhelm (Miami/Golden State), especially if Durant isn't 100 percent heading into the playoffs.

I certainly wouldn't make that prediction, but I do think Houston's situation definitely mirrors what Dallas was facing when they won the title in '11. And Harden is definitely capable of being the best player on the planet over a period of time.

lol, please
03-21-2017, 11:49 PM
David Lee. What's crazy is i'm dead serious, which means I might even catch more flak than if I admitted I was taking you all for a ride.