PDA

View Full Version : Lakers, the 76'ers and "the pick". Who needs it more?

Giannis94
03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
So I expect many of you are aware that the 76ers have a Lakers lottery pick this year that the Lakers keep if its in the top 3. I personally have no rooting interest (fear the Deer, fire JKIDD!) in this but the way Lakers fans are talking these days, maybe they don't need it as much as the 76ers?

I wanted to get PSD's view on this. Who needs the Pick more?

PurpleLynch
03-03-2017, 11:44 AM
They both need that pick in the same way:Lakers are rebuilding and with two really bad contracts(Moz and Deng) we don't have any room to do good trades(unless someone is so stupid to get one of those contracts). So we must rebuild through the draft until a game changer is in the house. Plus,Magic and Pelinka are a couple I don't like as major forces in our FO,but that's the way it goes(Buss and Mitch did an awful job these years).
Sixers are in a similar situation since Embiid,who I think is the most talented big man in the Nba,is also awfully injury prone and it's not a safe thing to do betting all the future on him. Saric is doing well,but he's not a game changer. We still have to see Simmons on the court and they traded Noel. Anyway,they have the advantage that they have a lot of room to improve through trades,a thing the Lakers cannot do.

PS:your comparison between Obama and the 76ers is something that I can't understand. These are the kind of comments that come from Trump supporter usually,a thing that I wish is not true about you.

sixer04fan
03-03-2017, 11:52 AM
The Lakers need it more this year and it's not even close.

1) The Sixers will get the pick unprotected next year, no matter what, if it doesn't convey this year.

2) The Lakers will owe the Orlando Magic their 2019 first round pick if the Sixers get their first round pick this year. If the Sixers don't get their pick this year, then the Lakers can't give their 2019 pick to Orlando and it will turn into two 2nds. This is because you can't go consecutive years without having a first round pick.

"If the L.A. Lakers convey a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their 2019 1st round pick to Orlando; if the L.A. Lakers do not convey a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will instead convey their 2017 2nd round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to Orlando"

So basically, if the Lakers lose their first round pick this year, they're screwed. Where as the Sixers will get it this year or next year either way

PurpleLynch
03-03-2017, 11:58 AM
The Lakers need it more this year and it's not even close.

1) The Sixers will get the pick unprotected next year, no matter what, if it doesn't convey this year.

2) The Lakers will owe the Orlando Magic their 2019 first round pick if the Sixers get their first round pick this year. If the Sixers don't get their pick this year, then the Lakers can't give their 2019 pick to Orlando and it will turn into two 2nds. This is because you can't go consecutive years without having a first round pick.

"If the L.A. Lakers convey a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their 2019 1st round pick to Orlando; if the L.A. Lakers do not convey a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will instead convey their 2017 2nd round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to Orlando"

So basically, if the Lakers lose their first round pick this year, they're screwed. Where as the Sixers will get it this year or next year either way

Yes,it's true. Homewever you traded your best defensive player and your best player is still an enigma(we know he can ball,but is he going to be healthy in the future?At least we don't have right now this problems,since our youngsters are not injury prone as far as I know.)
Plus,the Lakers is the 2nd franchise in history for trophies,while the 76ers are in a slump since Iverson's era. You have to be a perennial playoffs team to do some noise and to seduce the best talent to play for you. At least Lakers have still a sort of charisma due to our success.

TheDish87
03-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Lakers and its not even close. We have our own top 5ish pick plus a chance the Kings pass us with a worse record to swap. Lakers will still suck neck year and the pick will be unprotected.

TheDish87
03-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Yes,it's true. Homewever you traded your best defensive player and your best player is still an enigma(we know he can ball,but is he going to be healthy in the future?At least we don't have right now this problems,since our youngsters are not injury prone as far as I know.)
Plus,the Lakers is the 2nd franchise in history for trophies,while the 76ers are in a slump since Iverson's era. You have to be a perennial playoffs team to do some noise and to seduce the best talent to play for you. At least Lakers have still a sort of charisma due to our success.

are you serious? no one has wanted to sign with the Lakers in a long time.

RLundi
03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
The Magic need it more. The Magic need the Lakers's first round pick in 2019 (which happens if La convey's this year's pick to Philly) so I'm hoping the Lakers lose their pick to the Sixers this season. LA has enough talent to skip a year or two, plus they'll probably get Paul George in 2018 so they don't necessarily need the picks. But imagine Philly's future if they gain 2 picks this draft. Their team could look like:

C Embiid
PF Saric
SF J Jackson
SG Monk
PG Simmons

That's potentially a championship-caliber team in 3-4 seasons if everyone stays healthy. I'm definitely rooting for Philly to steal LA's pick (no offense).

Hawkeye15
03-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Lakers by a mile. They still don't have any identifiable stars in their young core, and are very limited on picks in the next couple of years. They need this pick badly.

L@ker4Life
03-03-2017, 12:18 PM
I think it depends on who you ask.
Both teams want/need to get better. Easiest way is to do it through the draft.
I think the question is, who loses more if the pick does/doesn't change hands this year.

The easy answer is the Lakers due to the Magic pick. 6'ers get it no matter what next year. Lets be honest, even with another year of development, a top 3 pick, and potential FA pickups, the Lakers aren't going to be a significantly better team next year, so the pick will still be a very good one.

Everyone wants to looks at this with their rose colored lenses and puff their chest out about whose team is in a better position. Neither teams are in a good position. It's going to take luck and time for these teams to crawl out the gutter. I don't think one team is closer than the other at the moment.

Just a Lakers fan's unbiased opinion....

IndyRealist
03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Lakers by a mile. They still don't have any identifiable stars in their young core, and are very limited on picks in the next couple of years. They need this pick badly.

I'm still holding out hope for Ingram, but he's not shown half of what Embiid has.

If the Lakers surrender their pick this year they also lose their 2019 pick. It's obvious that regardless of roster the Lakers should be desparate to keep the pick. I doubt it matters to the Sixers either way.

Giannis94
03-03-2017, 12:47 PM
I see you guys referencing the 2019 pick. Is that an unprotected pick or is it like this pick where it declines over years to being unprotected down the line?

LA4life24/8
03-03-2017, 01:08 PM
The lakers need to keep their pick this year because of future draft pick implications.

We keep it this year, it automatically goea to 76era next year no matter what,but then because of the stepieb rule the 2019 first rounder we owe to Orlando becomes to 2nd rounders and we keep our 2019 firsr round pick.

If 76ers get it this year, we keep our 2018 pick no matter what but also then in turn lose our 2019 first round pick.

So we need to keep it more because if we lose it this year it means losing 2 first round picks vs one if we keep this year

LOb0
03-03-2017, 01:21 PM
The lakers need to keep their pick this year because of future draft pick implications.

We keep it this year, it automatically goea to 76era next year no matter what,but then because of the stepieb rule the 2019 first rounder we owe to Orlando becomes to 2nd rounders and we keep our 2019 firsr round pick.

If 76ers get it this year, we keep our 2018 pick no matter what but also then in turn lose our 2019 first round pick.

So we need to keep it more because if we lose it this year it means losing 2 first round picks vs one if we keep this year

lol kinda messy.

Basically if the Lakers lose this 2017 pick to Philly then Orlando gets the Lakers 2019 1st round pick. If the Lakers keep this years pick then all they lose in is 2 second round picks to Orlando.

They must at all costs keep this 2017 pick.

Vinylman
03-03-2017, 02:04 PM
The Lakers and it isn't even close

Like everyone has said... getting the pick this year saves the Lakers from having to give Orlando a 1st round pick... but that isn't even the whole story... if we keep the pick this year we can trade it because we have the Houston pick now.

This will be important to the Lakers so they can offload a couple of young guys along with either deng or moz for an established player.

Magic must become the greatest tank commander ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sixer04fan
03-03-2017, 02:21 PM

I'm looking specifically at this pick in a vacuum. The facts are that the Lakers lose a ton of value if they don't get it this year, where the value of the asset will still be in tact for the Sixers either way. This year or next.

If you want to count franchise trophies as a way to justify being able to give up two first round picks in three years, one of which will almost definitely be top 5, when you're a rebuilding team, then that's just terrible strategic management.

DanG
03-03-2017, 03:49 PM
I'm a fan of both teams, but the Lakers definitely need it more. The Sixers can make the playoffs next year with pretty much the same roster if they stay healthy.

More-Than-Most
03-03-2017, 04:19 PM
like i said it will be nice for the sixers to have it but its not at all needed because next year it will be a lottery pick anyway.. The lakers screwed themselves hard with the deng and mos deals.... Its not close like at all between the sixers and lakers... I love russ but again his defense and lack of giving a crap is so worrisome. Ingram has been so bad this year and who knows what zubs will be... the best player the lakers have is randle and they wanna trade him lol.

Embiid has god like talent but needs to show he can be healthy... then we have saric who looks sick and covington who has a nice 3 point shot and plays shut down defense... simmons who has amazing potential and cant be as bad as ingram was this year... then we have a guy like TLC and our pick and the lakers pick either this year or next year and no stupid contracts... The lakers NEED this years draft pick so very badly or it is crippling for them.

We also have an upcoming kings first or kings swap plus they gave us Stauce who looks damn good.

More-Than-Most
03-03-2017, 04:22 PM
personally i pray ingram and russ work out and russ becomes the god i know he can be... the nba needs the knicks/lakers... knicks have porz... lakers need a break to go their way but man are those mos and deng deals killers.

PhillyFaninLA
03-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Lakers need it more but if Embiid can be healthy next season and Simmons is healthy and we get Josh Jackson and Fultz, Ball, Smith, or Monk then we can be good next year with possibly the best bench in the NBA. It speeds the Sixers up more, but the Lakers can be stabilized and ready for Magic to start to assemble a team and turn the Lakers back into the lakers

WITZ
03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Would rather have lakers get it for sole fact that at least we will see whoever gets drafted actually play :laugh2:

mrblisterdundee
03-03-2017, 06:44 PM

I don't really trust Magic Johnson (although I love watching the Lakers lose, so that's a positive for me), but Paul George has already stated his desire to play for the Lakers. He'd be better off with the Clippers, but it shows you how much more advantaged the Lakers are than the 76ers in getting free agents.
The 76ers are basically down to Dario Saric as their long-term premier talent, unless Embiid and Simmons can stay healthy. Holmes looks good too, but the 76ers are definitely thinner on drafted talent.

FlashBolt
03-03-2017, 06:51 PM
sixers need to be banned from the NBA. It's getting ridiculous right now. How much more tanking does this team need? very sad.

More-Than-Most
03-03-2017, 07:13 PM
sixers need to be banned from the NBA. It's getting ridiculous right now. How much more tanking does this team need? very sad.

from one thread to another making my point for me.. You speak about homism but your hate and bias is really coming out... Again you lack logic... how much more tanking have the sixers done over the lakers? The sixers are on year 4 of the tank but have not tanked this year until the final 20 plus games... The lakers are already on year 3 of the tank.... their situation isnt really that different outside of us not spending moronic contracts on horrid players and just playing young/D league talent... Both teams have tanked... first they did it for Russ.. Then ingram and now probably a top 3 pick.

Bostonjorge
03-03-2017, 08:09 PM
from one thread to another making my point for me.. You speak about homism but your hate and bias is really coming out... Again you lack logic... how much more tanking have the sixers done over the lakers? The sixers are on year 4 of the tank but have not tanked this year until the final 20 plus games... The lakers are already on year 3 of the tank.... their situation isnt really that different outside of us not spending moronic contracts on horrid players and just playing young/D league talent... Both teams have tanked... first they did it for Russ.. Then ingram and now probably a top 3 pick.

You can't say the lakers are tanking. They just are not good right. Tanking teams down spend $ or trade for these type of players.

Boozer
Deng
Moz
Williams
Young
Lynn
Hibbert

Sixers make zero moves and trade away young talent. Okafor and Noel have healthy DNP's this year. No young laker have that. Embiid is the only player that has hope in the team. Okafor and Simmions already looking for a way out.

PhillyFaninLA
03-03-2017, 09:23 PM
You can't say the lakers are tanking. They just are not good right. Tanking teams down spend $ or trade for these type of players.

Boozer
Deng
Moz
Williams
Young
Lynn
Hibbert

Sixers make zero moves and trade away young talent. Okafor and Noel have healthy DNP's this year. No young laker have that. Embiid is the only player that has hope in the team. Okafor and Simmions already looking for a way out.

Look at the bolded, how do we make zero moves and trade away young talent....I'm you can't make a trade and zero moves

SenileStern
03-04-2017, 06:00 AM
lol the level of tanking is not even close. The Lakers actually tried to get better every off season, tried to sign free agents and at least added players for depth. Did the Sixers even try to sign free agents or make trades to get better? Didn't the Sixers tank a few season right from the start, like trading injured Noel for Holiday in order to guarantee another top pick the folowing year?

More-Than-Most
03-04-2017, 06:41 AM
lol the level of tanking is not even close. The Lakers actually tried to get better every off season, tried to sign free agents and at least added players for depth. Did the Sixers even try to sign free agents or make trades to get better? Didn't the Sixers tank a few season right from the start, like trading injured Noel for Holiday in order to guarantee another top pick the folowing year?

lol adding hibbert and mosgov and deng isnt trying to win or be competitive.. its low key tanking so they can over charge their fans and say we are trying... gtfo with that... If they actually believed Hibbert/Mos and Deng were going to be good they should end themselves because every single non laker fans were calling all 3 the dumbest ****ing moves in sports... They were tanking... Period... They are tanking now period... They have been tanking almost as long as the sixers but charge 9 times the prices and used kobes final year to pack the house and justify the tanking by using him as a side show. Sorry but the lakers signing **** players and telling the fans they will compete while charging top dollar for tickets is far far worse then the sixers tanking and telling fans they are tanking and changing 10 cents on the dollar for tickets. The lakers tanked period... Just stop... I have no issues with it either because its smart... The issues I have is the hypocrites screaming about us tanking but now begging for their team to tank and lose.

TheDish87
03-04-2017, 10:59 AM

lol wut?

TheDish87
03-04-2017, 11:02 AM
lol if the Lakers didnt take its just that much more embarrassing for them. Cant wait for George to go waste the remaining years of his prime there when he could play for LAC and have a shot at the finals. if we signed two slob vets to mega deals would the Sixers not get bashed? Much rather have guys like Bayless and Henderson on short terms deals in the single digits.

Giannis94
03-04-2017, 11:11 AM
lol if the Lakers didnt take its just that much more embarrassing for them. Cant wait for George to go waste the remaining years of his prime there when he could play for LAC and have a shot at the finals. if we signed two slob vets to mega deals would the Sixers not get bashed? Much rather have guys like Bayless and Henderson on short terms deals in the single digits.

If the Lakers don't get the pick, are the Lakers even a more attractive team than the Pacers? At least the Pacers have Myles turner. The lakers have a warm climate. and thats it.

STRIKERC
03-04-2017, 05:03 PM
The way i see it Orlando needs this pick to convey to the Sixers more than the Sixers need it.
Looking at the standings, i would be trying to out-tank the Lakers if i were Orlando. Just enough to nudge the Lakers out of the bottom three.

I do have a funny feeling that this pick is going to the Sixers though.