PDA

View Full Version : Warriors sign Matt Barnes

HandsOnTheWheel
03-01-2017, 02:29 AM
@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources tell @ChrisBHaynes and me that Golden State plans to sign veteran swingman Matt Barnes in the wake of the Kevin Durant injury.

More-Than-Most
03-01-2017, 02:35 AM
better signing than bogut and Williams in my opinion only because of how bogut looks... it really bothers me that both the warriors and cavs got better lol

IKnowHoops
03-01-2017, 03:19 AM
What if Durant is out for the season?

IKnowHoops
03-01-2017, 03:44 AM
better signing than bogut and Williams in my opinion only because of how bogut looks... it really bothers me that both the warriors and cavs got better lol

It's not a better signing. I think Deron is going to ball. This year he has been matching his career averages per/36. Deron may be back to being a poor man's Chris Paul.

Saddletramp
03-01-2017, 04:03 AM
Biggest piece of **** in the league. **** that guy.

Lakers + Giants
03-01-2017, 06:18 AM
Been useless since his lakers days.

Vee-Rex
03-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Biggest piece of **** in the league. **** that guy.

I'm sure he fits right in with the Warriors.

Giannis94
03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm sure he fits right in with the Warriors.
Aside from dray they are a likable team. Unlike the cavs who pretty much have a daycare mentality

Avenged
03-01-2017, 10:35 AM
#farmsystem

GoferKing_
03-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Barnes is sooo shiet right now.

europagnpilgrim
03-01-2017, 01:01 PM

if you go by the numbers I saw something where Bogut would rank number 1 overall for defense impact when he was on the floor as opposed to not with the Mavs

Cavs got better way more just based on acquiring depth and making Lebron happy, Barnes adds some needed feisty toughness to Dubs to go along with Green over there but the Dubs were never trying to acquire him as the Cavs were searching desperately for depth, hopefully they(Green/Barnes) wont come to blows especially if Green tries to play mind games with Barnes because we all know he aint having that at all, he about that life

Barnes can hit the open 3 so he is a small band aid I guess but the duo Cavs picked up are way more proven and could be game changers on a small level especially during the regular season, similar to how the Cavs picked up that other D Will guy who is looking like a player finally

europagnpilgrim
03-01-2017, 01:02 PM
What if Durant is out for the season?

Don't know if its for the entire season including playoffs but he is out indefinitely which is basically saying he is done for the reg. season

its never a good sign when someone is out indefinitely, its almost like a code word for done for the season, or a nice long while at worst

Scoots
03-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Don't think they've signed Barnes yet. If not today though he can't play in the playoffs right?

I wonder if they are second guessing based on the better KD news?

lakerfan85
03-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Beware the Matt Barnes curse..

LA4life24/8
03-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Nba's buyout system is ridiculous lol. Stacked teams getting more stacked. Rich get richer. Its one thing if it saves teams money, but guys on expiring deals anyways, ridiculous. They should have to give up something to sign these players

BKLYNpigeon
03-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Nba's buyout system is ridiculous lol. Stacked teams getting more stacked. Rich get richer. Its one thing if it saves teams money, but guys on expiring deals anyways, ridiculous. They should have to give up something to sign these players

I completely agree. They should make you give up a future 2nd round pick to the former team to sign these waiver claims.

AntiG
03-01-2017, 10:24 PM
The buyout system isn't the problem, the fact that the NBA has a soft cap and can sign unlimited players to minimum salary contracts despite being way over the cap is.

bleedprple&gold
03-01-2017, 11:02 PM

Make it so if you sign them you have to pick up the remaining balance on their contract. Problem solved.

bleedprple&gold
03-01-2017, 11:03 PM
The buyout system isn't the problem, the fact that the NBA has a soft cap and can sign unlimited players to minimum salary contracts despite being way over the cap is.

Then over the cap teams wouldn't be able to fill out their roster.

AntiG
03-01-2017, 11:15 PM

Yup, so if you want to sign that FA, you'd need to manage your cap.

bleedprple&gold
03-01-2017, 11:41 PM

Yup, so if you want to sign that FA, you'd need to manage your cap.

What if you are over the cap and you only have 10 players? You're stuck with 10 players the whole season?

AntiG
03-02-2017, 12:00 AM
What if you are over the cap and you only have 10 players? You're stuck with 10 players the whole season?

if the NBA were to institute a hard cap, they would have a deadline league year for teams to get under it.

nastynice
03-02-2017, 12:28 AM
I didn't even know he was still playing, the ****, is he still any good?

bleedprple&gold
03-02-2017, 12:52 AM

if the NBA were to institute a hard cap, they would have a deadline league year for teams to get under it.

I dont see the nba implementing a hard cap anytime soon considering it will make it harder for teams to retain their own free agents by not being able to go over this hard cap, which is counter to all the recent CBA changes and what the nba wants to make it easier for teams to retain their own free agents.

Scoots
03-02-2017, 01:21 AM
Thread title is still wrong as far as I can tell.

HandsOnTheWheel
03-02-2017, 02:34 AM

?

sep11ie
03-02-2017, 03:23 AM
And the douche's get douchier

Leftcoast_yg
03-02-2017, 04:52 AM
And the douche's get douchier

What are you talking about you still have room to grow.

tredigs
03-02-2017, 09:40 AM
The signing part is a formality. They already waived Calderon.

Barnes said the call from GS was one of the best days of his life and a dream come true to come back here, fwiw. He's been on a lot of **** teams since he left here and LA, we'll see if he has any back in the bank.

COOLbeans
03-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Welcome back Matt Barnes

krazylegz
03-02-2017, 11:20 PM
blockbuster move

AntiG
03-05-2017, 11:24 AM
I dont see the nba implementing a hard cap anytime soon considering it will make it harder for teams to retain their own free agents by not being able to go over this hard cap, which is counter to all the recent CBA changes and what the nba wants to make it easier for teams to retain their own free agents.

yeah, that's why its difficult to fix the issue unless you just get rid of the buyouts as a whole. You can't force the team to pick up the "remainder of a contract" because the player is bought out. That would work on a waivers system, but a player can't be kept on waivers permenently legally. Once they are FAs, they can sign for whatever contract they want, so forcing a team to pick up the remainder of the contract doesn't work either.

The only real solution without changing to a hard cap is to simply disallow the buying out of contracts.

lol, please
03-05-2017, 05:17 PM
@ESPNSteinLine

:drool:

The return!!!!!!!!!!!!

#Championship

COOLbeans
03-06-2017, 12:35 PM
I like how he looks so far. hes not scoring really yet, but its clear hes a smart basketball player who fits the Warriors system

Scoots
03-06-2017, 01:25 PM
I like how he looks so far. hes not scoring really yet, but its clear hes a smart basketball player who fits the Warriors system

Considering they have only Matt Barnes on the roster as a traditional SF he better work out better. Scoring they can make up for and his BBIQ is good ... but his speed is going to keep him just a stopgap. I hope he's getting up 1000 stand still 3s a day.

I'd like to see Green and Thompson get some time at the 3 over the next month too.

TrueFan420
03-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Considering they have only Matt Barnes on the roster as a traditional SF he better work out better. Scoring they can make up for and his BBIQ is good ... but his speed is going to keep him just a stopgap. I hope he's getting up 1000 stand still 3s a day.

I'd like to see Green and Thompson get some time at the 3 over the next month too.

Eh I doubt we go big with Green at the SF. Klay has been and will see more time at SF.

Scoots
03-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Eh I doubt we go big with Green at the SF. Klay has been and will see more time at SF.

"Go big" ... funny that putting a 6'6" at 3 to replace the 7' guy who was there is now "going big" :)

eDush
03-07-2017, 12:00 PM
better signing than bogut and Williams in my opinion only because of how bogut looks... it really bothers me that both the warriors and cavs got better lolActually the Matt signing makes no sense for the Dubs as they have enough 3's on the roster (less experience but more capable) to fill in as a starter and should have pick up another ball handler instead like Jordan Farmar, a vet who has rings and would love to pay back the Cavs for not keeping their word in signing him if they need another PG as they have reported :nod:.

COOLbeans
03-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Farmer could be a good fit, but not this year, and next year they'll probably go after a better ball handler

Scoots
03-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Actually the Matt signing makes no sense for the Dubs as they have enough 3's on the roster (less experience but more capable) to fill in as a starter and should have pick up another ball handler instead like Jordan Farmar, a vet who has rings and would love to pay back the Cavs for not keeping their word in signing him if they need another PG as they have reported :nod:.

Which other SFs? Only Iguodala has any significant time there in the past and as a SF he's undersized and can't take the extended minute load. KD was the only traditional SF on the roster.

lol, please
03-10-2017, 10:25 PM