PDA

View Full Version : Which #5 pick was better?

JordansBulls
03-01-2017, 12:44 AM
Which #5 pick was better?

Moses Malone Charles Barkley, Walt Frazier, Scottie Pippen, Walter Davis, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Mitch Richmond, Dwyane Wade

http://basketball-players.pointafter.com/stories/3559/greatest-nba-player-draft-position?utm_medium=cm&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=rt.cm.ob.dt.3559#26-no-5-moses-malone

JAZZNC
03-01-2017, 01:03 AM
Malone. MVP, champion as the man. Excellent stats, he checks all the boxes.

kobebabe
03-01-2017, 06:51 AM
You should add Demarcus cousins to that list.

I would say Malone

eso
03-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Pip.... How many rings?

Hawkeye15
03-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Moses

Avenged
03-01-2017, 10:50 AM
If I were drafting, I'd probably take KG

europagnpilgrim
03-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Moses/Barkley1a
KG/Wade/Frazier
the rest

to build my team from scratch I am taking either Moses or KG, coin toss

Dade County
03-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Nice thread topic...

Wade & KG

I am torn, I always felt that Minny robbed KG youth and he is better then most people think, it's just that he only has 1 ring and people didn't see him win enough.

Giannis94
03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
You should add Demarcus cousins to that list.

I would say Malone

Why? he has never led his team to more than 31 wins in a season

FlashBolt
03-01-2017, 12:37 PM
KG easily for me. it was KG vs Wade and:

1) KG defensive beast
2) Longevity in his favor
3) Wade's short stint of prime years.
4) KG's career was ruined because of the Wolves terrible management during his prime years. Think about it; Wade had Shaq in his second season. it took more than a decade for KG to get legitimate help.
5) KG accomplished more. You can give Wade the ring advantage but c'mon, he had The King.. I'd argue that KG in 10-14 was better than Wade in terms of fitting in with LeBron. He was still a very good defensive player.

Bostonjorge
03-02-2017, 02:29 AM
KG is the winning big ticket

mightybosstone
03-02-2017, 09:28 AM
For me, it's Moses with Barkley, KG, Wade and Pippen close behind in that order. Frazier is probably 5-10 spots back of those guys, and Allen is another 5-10 spots back of him. David and Richmond don't even belong in the same conversation as those guys, as they're all top 40 caliber players and I wouldn't put those two in my top 100.

Jeffy25
03-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Why? he has never led his team to more than 31 wins in a season

If only this was an individual sport, amirite?

This is a team game. Anthony Davis, young Kevin Garnett, Chris Paul, young Barkley, young insert Hall of Fame player here.....you know, the guys named in this thread?

It takes a team, not an individual to win in this league. No individual can win. Hell, Cousins and Davis can't win together with Holliday shooting bricks and turning the ball over.

mightybosstone
03-02-2017, 09:51 AM
KG easily for me. it was KG vs Wade and:

1) KG defensive beast
2) Longevity in his favor
3) Wade's short stint of prime years.
4) KG's career was ruined because of the Wolves terrible management during his prime years. Think about it; Wade had Shaq in his second season. it took more than a decade for KG to get legitimate help.
5) KG accomplished more. You can give Wade the ring advantage but c'mon, he had The King.. I'd argue that KG in 10-14 was better than Wade in terms of fitting in with LeBron. He was still a very good defensive player.

Over Moses? Based on what exactly? Moses was a 3-time MVP who was tha alpha dog of one of the greatest championship teams of all-time. And his longevity was exceptional. None of the other guys on the list can really touch his resume, IMO. They might have slightly better peaks, but Moses absolutely had the better career.

Hawkeye15
03-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Over Moses? Based on what exactly? Moses was a 3-time MVP who was tha alpha dog of one of the greatest championship teams of all-time. And his longevity was exceptional. None of the other guys on the list can really touch his resume, IMO. They might have slightly better peaks, but Moses absolutely had the better career.

is Moses the most underrated player of all time? I have him around 11-13, but I routinely see people overlook him. He is like the anti-Iverson

mightybosstone
03-02-2017, 11:37 AM
is Moses the most underrated player of all time? I have him around 11-13, but I routinely see people overlook him. He is like the anti-Iverson

You could make a strong case that he is. The timing of his career didn't do him any favors. He peaked around the same time as Kareem, and his best basketball was right at the start of the epic '80s Celtics and Lakers rivalry. When your peak comes right in the middle of three all-time top 10 players, you tend to be forgotten. And similar to the conversation we're having in the Dirk thread, Moses' game wasn't particularly sexy, and he wasn't this huge personality that drew a lot of media attention.

I wonder if in 20-30 years, people will underrate guys like Dirk, KG and Wade because they played in the same era as Lebron, Duncan and Kobe and peaked right before guys like Curry and Durant.

PhillyFaninLA
03-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Pip.... How many rings?

Acknowledge the Robert Horry if better than Scottie Pippen or change your argument.

PhillyFaninLA
03-02-2017, 01:07 PM

I think the answer to the bolded is year of birth.

I was too young for most of Moses career but most of these people probably never saw him to appreciate just what he was.

IKnowHoops
03-03-2017, 12:11 AM

He didn't block shots. Drob was better at everything accept rebounding.

No one underrated Moses more than I

mike_noodles
03-03-2017, 12:29 AM

He could very well be.

JasonJohnHorn
03-04-2017, 12:24 AM
That is a tough question. LOVE IT!!!

valade16
03-04-2017, 10:23 AM

I actually wonder about the opposite, is he the most overrated player of all-time?

His advanced numbers are not very great compared to the other top end C's and he didn't anchor very many top level defenses.

It's just weird to me that we retroactively give Isiah and AI such crap because their stats aren't great compared to their perceived stature and ranking and yet Moses gets a pass to an extent.

If you look at his MVPs, he wasn't exactly winning them against stacked competition. He won his first one over Gervin and Elvin Hayes, he won his next two primarily over near rookie level Bird and Magic. I mean in one year Robert Parish finished 4th in the voting.

And yes, he won a championship as the man but he had an absolutely stacked team with one of the best No. 2's ever and I think you could argue them only winning the one title was somewhat disappointing.

Full disclaimer, I don't think he's the most overrated player at all by a long shot, but I had him on one of the all-time drafts and I was surprised looking at his stats how not good they were for a guy who is considered top 15 ever.