PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA Draft #1 pick was better?

JordansBulls
03-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Which NBA Draft #1 pick was better?

http://basketball-players.pointafter.com/stories/3559/greatest-nba-player-draft-position?utm_medium=cm&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=rt.cm.ob.dt.3559#30-no-1-kareem-abdul-jabbar

Kareem, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Shaquille O’Neal, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, LeBron James, Allen Iverso

LOb0
03-01-2017, 12:58 AM
Lmao Iverson.

basch152
03-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Lmao Iverson.

Yeah he doesn't really come close to belonging with these other players.

Hawkeye15
03-01-2017, 10:27 AM
gun to my head, I am picking Kareem over LeBron

europagnpilgrim
03-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Wilt Chamberlain

europagnpilgrim
03-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Yeah he doesn't really come close to belonging with these other players.

if you are talking about height wise I agree, dude was a midget compared to those trees

I guess Nash/Kobe/Marbury and those others in that draft just weren't worthy of that overall 1st pick, what a shame

europagnpilgrim
03-01-2017, 10:56 AM

a water or 357 gun?

coin toss I am taking Kareem, I would rig the coin toss in my favor

Hawkeye15
03-01-2017, 11:24 AM
a water or 357 gun?

coin toss I am taking Kareem, I would rig the coin toss in my favor

tommy gun

yeah, I just think building around a dominant center is easier. And Kareem basically owned the 70's, many people forget how awesome he was. He is #2-3 on my all time rank, with LeBron at #4-5.

LoveCaliFan
03-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Magic.. 6'9 PG, avg almost a triple double, a ship as a rookie starter, could play every position on the court & if he finished a whole career this wouldn't even be a discussion....

LoveCaliFan
03-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Believe in "Magic" lol

Vinylman
03-02-2017, 03:44 PM

So he is higher in your overall rankings then?

I really don't get the point of the question but for me in the context of who was the most impactful #1 pick it is clearly Magic because of what he did his rookie year...

In terms of career it is pretty straightforward for me

Kareem
Lebroom
Magic

Magic is only lower than Lebroom for me because he didn't play as long... if he never got the HIV/AIDS he would be ahead of Lebroom for me at this point.

europagnpilgrim
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
tommy gun

yeah, I just think building around a dominant center is easier. And Kareem basically owned the 70's, many people forget how awesome he was. He is #2-3 on my all time rank, with LeBron at #4-5.

Nothing wrong with that pick or the tommy gun

Hawkeye15
03-02-2017, 04:33 PM
So he is higher in your overall rankings then?

I really don't get the point of the question but for me in the context of who was the most impactful #1 pick it is clearly Magic because of what he did his rookie year...

In terms of career it is pretty straightforward for me

Kareem
Lebroom
Magic

Magic is only lower than Lebroom for me because he didn't play as long... if he never got the HIV/AIDS he would be ahead of Lebroom for me at this point.

my thinking exactly. And unfortunately, woulda, coulda, shoulda, Magic and Bird's lack of longevity is a reality. But you understand that..

basch152
03-02-2017, 09:54 PM
if you are talking about height wise I agree, dude was a midget compared to those trees

I guess Nash/Kobe/Marbury and those others in that draft just weren't worthy of that overall 1st pick, what a shame

Nope. Talking about abilities. He is not even remotely close to as good as these other guys.

Jusy about everyone on this list was an all time defender, AND an all time offensive player.

AI was great on offense but was a liability defensively and often caused serious mismatch problems. He simply does bot compare to these other guys. Sorry.

Heediot
03-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Current rules LeBron
Older rules Duncan

valade16
03-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Obviously it's different to truly know how a player would react in a different situation, I wouldn't take Kareem, Shaq or LeBron with the benefit of hindsight because I know that they may leave my organization. I'd probably take Hakeem or Duncan simply because I know they'd be more likely to stick it out.

If we're going just talent, I'm taking LeBron.

nastynice
03-04-2017, 05:15 PM
I feel lebron, shaq, and Hakeem are in the same category. Pick your poison

I didn't watch ball in the 80's or before, but if I did I have a feeling I'd have Kareem in that tier 1 group too

Jeffy25
03-04-2017, 05:48 PM
My only problem with Magic is I feel like he needs a good scorer with him to be win. Not that that's an issue, scorers are pretty easy to find.

Shaq and Hakeem just needs decent perimeter players

Oscar is too hard to judge because of the difference in eras (like Wilt).

LeBron and Kareem have the best ability to go deep on their own and are easier to build around IMO.

So it's between them, and I'll lean toward LeBron because of his versatility.

nastynice
03-04-2017, 06:53 PM
My only problem with Magic is I feel like he needs a good scorer with him to be win. Not that that's an issue, scorers are pretty easy to find.

Shaq and Hakeem just needs decent perimeter players

Oscar is too hard to judge because of the difference in eras (like Wilt).

LeBron and Kareem have the best ability to go deep on their own and are easier to build around IMO.

So it's between them, and I'll lean toward LeBron because of his versatility.

I think decent perimeter players are easier come by than what lebron would need, which would be a well above average big and a ball handler that can create their own offense.