PDA

View Full Version : Dirk is less than 70 points away from 30K for his career

HouRealCoach
02-28-2017, 12:12 AM
Why is no one talking about this? He is about to join Wilt, Kareem, Kobe, MJ, & Malone.

Isn't this a big deal? Especially for an overseas player?

ewing
02-28-2017, 12:26 AM
He didn't chase rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
02-28-2017, 12:40 AM
because half of NBA fans forgot Dirk is still in the NBA.

PhillySportFan
02-28-2017, 12:50 AM
He didn't chase rings

I don't know how you could say he didn't chase rings. I'm sure with all his heart he tried to win rings and would of gladly accepted more help. Just because he didn't join the Warriors on a minimum contract means he wasn't chasing rings? I don't understand your logic.

HouRealCoach
02-28-2017, 12:54 AM
I don't know how you could say he didn't chase rings. I'm sure with all his heart he tried to win rings and would of gladly accepted more help. Just because he didn't join the Warriors on a minimum contract means he wasn't chasing rings? I don't understand your logic.

You know what he means....

kobe4thewinbang
02-28-2017, 02:38 AM
He should be able to do it. Great achievement, as Dirk's shot is probably one of the best-looking. Still in awe of how he crushed the Heat with Jason Terry.

More-Than-Most
02-28-2017, 02:57 AM
honestly because he never talked ****... he never chased rings.... and he is white and its the mavs.... Not kidding with any of these... no kid wants to go get a pair of dirks.... embiid said it best... he learned how to shoot by watching white people... some white players are great but very rarely are there any that are explosive like a durant/lebron/Butler.... In this country the black basketball player from a dominant city will always be talked about much much more... Steve Nash as good as he became would have not been talked about if the suns werent the run and gun fun style they were... Even then people tuned in for the cp3/Williams/arenas and so on.... A white player that isnt really that athletic but can shoot gets next to no attention compared to say a Gilbert arenas who wasnt as great of a player but was black and explosive :Shrug:

If I was a GM... I would never draft a white player and I am a white 5 foot 11 dude... **** that noise... In this sport the black/extremely athletic player will be better the majority of the time and will have better marketability for my franchise.

YAALREADYKNO
02-28-2017, 05:57 AM
Because everybody is only worried about the cavs/warriors. I'm truly proud of Dirk as a mavs fan. From being labeled a playoff choker to being called soft and a guy you couldn't build a championship team around im happy for him. Probably the most underrated superstar of all time. Can't wait till reaches 30K. Should be able to do within the next 4-5 games.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2017, 01:39 PM

it's his daily shot at LeBron

ewing
02-28-2017, 01:43 PM
it's his daily shot at LeBron

No im just saying he doesn't get the attention he deserves b/c he wasn't a ring chasing attention whore. I don't see what that has to do with LeBron

Hawkeye15
02-28-2017, 01:45 PM
No im just saying he doesn't get the attention he deserves b/c he wasn't a ring chasing attention whore. I don't see what that has to do with LeBron

he gets plenty of attention. Did Duncan get attention? The media follows around the annoying stories, it doesn't mean a guy is overlooked by those who follow the game. If some high school chick in Arkansas doesn't know who he is, the world won't end.

ewing
02-28-2017, 01:51 PM
he gets plenty of attention. Did Duncan get attention? The media follows around the annoying stories, it doesn't mean a guy is overlooked by those who follow the game. If some high school chick in Arkansas doesn't know who he is, the world won't end.

The OP asked why it wasn't a bigger deal and i answered. Dirk is more a basketball player then a brand, Dirk stayed home instead of chasing rings. He has garnered less spot light then one would expect b/c of how he conducted himself.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2017, 02:02 PM
The OP asked why it wasn't a bigger deal and i answered. Dirk is more a basketball more then a brand, Dirk stayed home instead of chasing rings. He has garnered less spot light then one would expect b/c of how he conducted himself.

those are your opinions. He just isn't a sexy story, never has been. But basketball people know where he belongs in the history of the game. You and I know how awesome he was as a player.

What do you remember about Gary Payton? Karl Malone? Those guys were "ring chasers" by my definition. Where they give up and just latch on, because they know they are no longer good enough to be the biggest part of a team. Hell I can't even claim Durant is a ring chaser, he most likely believes he can still be the best player on a chip team.

Curious as to your opinion, do you give a guy more credit for staying home, and sacrificing opportunities to win a chip, versus a player using free agency to find a better situation, and that player ends up winning a chip? Obviously case by case, just curious as to your mentality.

ewing
02-28-2017, 05:51 PM
those are your opinions. He just isn't a sexy story, never has been. But basketball people know where he belongs in the history of the game. You and I know how awesome he was as a player.

What do you remember about Gary Payton? Karl Malone? Those guys were "ring chasers" by my definition. Where they give up and just latch on, because they know they are no longer good enough to be the biggest part of a team. Hell I can't even claim Durant is a ring chaser, he most likely believes he can still be the best player on a chip team.

Curious as to your opinion, do you give a guy more credit for staying home, and sacrificing opportunities to win a chip, versus a player using free agency to find a better situation, and that player ends up winning a chip? Obviously case by case, just curious as to your mentality.

All those guys are losers

Dirk on the other hand, is 7 foot, white, foreign, an absolutely pure shooter and one of the greatest scorers of all time. I mean i don't know if he is sexy but he certainly could have been a successful media whore.

PurpleLynch
02-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Best European player of all time and a top 10 PF of all time. It will be a long time before someone from Europe will make this kind of statement in the Nba.
Personally,I think just Jokic and Porzingis could sustain his legacy in the future,but it will take a very long time.

FlashBolt
02-28-2017, 09:30 PM
top 10 PF? i would say he's the fourth greatest already.

Behind:

Duncan
KG
Barkley
Dirk

Saddletramp
03-01-2017, 06:54 AM

Behind:

Duncan
KG
Barkley
Dirk

Dirk is behind Dirk? Man, he really is good.

ewing
03-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Behind:

Duncan
KG
Barkley
Dirk

He's 2nd

YAALREADYKNO
03-01-2017, 11:40 AM
He's 2nd

Agreed

Hawkeye15
03-01-2017, 12:05 PM
He's 2nd

I stopped arguing the PF battle so long ago, it is repetitive as ****. I stand:

1-Duncan
2- Barkley
3a- KG
3b- Dirk
5-Malone

mightybosstone
03-02-2017, 09:43 AM
honestly because he never talked ****... he never chased rings.... and he is white and its the mavs.... Not kidding with any of these... no kid wants to go get a pair of dirks.... embiid said it best... he learned how to shoot by watching white people... some white players are great but very rarely are there any that are explosive like a durant/lebron/Butler.... In this country the black basketball player from a dominant city will always be talked about much much more... Steve Nash as good as he became would have not been talked about if the suns werent the run and gun fun style they were... Even then people tuned in for the cp3/Williams/arenas and so on.... A white player that isnt really that athletic but can shoot gets next to no attention compared to say a Gilbert arenas who wasnt as great of a player but was black and explosive :Shrug:

If I was a GM... I would never draft a white player and I am a white 5 foot 11 dude... **** that noise... In this sport the black/extremely athletic player will be better the majority of the time and will have better marketability for my franchise.
I don't think race has anything to do with it. Think about Duncan. For probably the last 5-7 years of his career, the media paid almost no attention to him every year until the postseason or until he announced his retirement. Was race a factor there too?

The media is more likely to pay attention to guys with huge personalitites who seek the spotlight and guys whose games show up in Sportscenter highlights every other night. Guys like Dirk and Duncan don't really fit either of those, and so we tend to take them for granted.

mightybosstone
03-02-2017, 09:45 AM
I stopped arguing the PF battle so long ago, it is repetitive as ****. I stand:

1-Duncan
2- Barkley
3a- KG
3b- Dirk
5-Malone
This would probably be my list most days. But Barkley, KG and Dirk are interchangeable for me at times. You could make a really strong case for any of those three at No. 2. But not Malone, for obvious reasons.

Hawkeye15
03-02-2017, 10:34 AM
This would probably be my list most days. But Barkley, KG and Dirk are interchangeable for me at times. You could make a really strong case for any of those three at No. 2. But not Malone, for obvious reasons.

agreed. In reality, those 3 are close enough, that it becomes personal preference, so I stopped arguing over it long ago.

kobe4thewinbang
03-05-2017, 01:21 AM
Best European player of all time and a top 10 PF of all time. It will be a long time before someone from Europe will make this kind of statement in the Nba.
Personally,I think just Jokic and Porzingis could sustain his legacy in the future,but it will take a very long time.No doubt. Cuban and Mavs front office gonna miss Dirk for sure. They ought to be probing the field for a similar prodigy, or try to trade for the 'unicorn' or Jokic. Probably not gonna happen, but I like your choices. I thought Olynyk had a shot, but he really died down quickly after being drafted.

YAALREADYKNO
03-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Only 20pts away from 30,000

Forever35
03-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Why would he have to be a ring chaser...??? He brought the Mavs their only championship...

Revolutionized the game for 7ftr's...

Hands down the best player in the history of the Mavs organization... 12 straight 20ppg seasons is crazy...

Wade n Fade
03-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Dirk is already a NBA champ. He needs to give it up after this season because Dallas will not contend anytime soon.

Mr.B
03-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Dirk is already a NBA champ. He needs to give it up after this season because Dallas will not contend anytime soon.

Why would he give it up if he's still having fun, and is still an effective player? Obviously he's not the player he was but he carved out a nice niche for himself on this young Mavs team.

ewing
03-08-2017, 07:04 AM
agreed. In reality, those 3 are close enough, that it becomes personal preference, so I stopped arguing over it long ago.

that's b/c you argue for a guy that made a great 3rd option. Anyway, GO DIRK!

Hawkeye15
03-08-2017, 11:28 AM
that's b/c you argue for a guy that made a great 3rd option. Anyway, GO DIRK!

I never argue for Chris Bosh, stop it...

HouRealCoach
03-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Personally,I think just Jokic and Porzingis could sustain his legacy in the future,but it will take a very long time.

He is top 3 PF to me

Redrum187
03-09-2017, 02:19 PM
When it comes to regular season play, you can put 2-5 in any order. When it comes to postseason play, which top 5 PF was able to do what Dirk did in his prime?

Redrum187
03-09-2017, 02:20 PM
I would love to ask Tim Duncan who he thinks is the 2nd greatest PF. My gut tells me Dirk... but I'm probably biased because I have a hard on for Duncan and Dirk.