PDA

View Full Version : Durant on Shaq "He didn't have any skill"

KnicksorBust
02-25-2017, 01:31 PM
"Shaq was a s---ty free throw shooter. He missed dunks. He airballed free throws. He couldn't shoot outside the paint," Durant said. "He's bigger than everybody. He didn't have any skill, but he was bigger and stronger than everybody."

Thoughts?

hugepatsfan
02-25-2017, 01:32 PM
lol not a very smart statement

TrueFan420
02-25-2017, 01:35 PM
I mean he's not wrong. Shaq was a physical specimen. He was bigger and strong than everyone and when he was in shape he was fairly quick and mobile for a guy his size. But Durant should just stay out it. If McGee wants to squabble with Shaq by all means but it doesn't have anything to do with you even if he's your teammate.

KobeOwnSU
02-25-2017, 01:37 PM
This is about as dumb as it gets.

ewing
02-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Pretty true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avenged
02-25-2017, 01:58 PM
I mean what irks me more is the fact how easily he is distracted.. you're playing for a championship, don't get caught up in your feelings.

nycericanguy
02-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Shaq was skilled, there have been many guys that were bigger and stronger than everyone else and didn't come close to dominating the way Shaq did.

Jamiecballer
02-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Shaq was quite skilled but I don't blame Durant for going to bat for his teammate. What Shaq has done over the years to javale would make anyone upset.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Scoots
02-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Shaq was skilled, there have been many guys that were bigger and stronger than everyone else and didn't come close to dominating the way Shaq did.

There have been VERY VERY few players who out-sized their opponents as much as Shaq and who were as athletic.

That said, Shaq was definitely more than just big.

Oaktown34
02-25-2017, 02:56 PM
He makes a very valid point though. You point his skill in Zaza's body and you have a borderline NBA player.

Leftcoast_yg
02-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Shaq was quite skilled but I don't blame Durant for going to bat for his teammate. What Shaq has done over the years to javale would make anyone upset.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

As a Laker fan I admire Durant for standing up for his teammate against a media personnel who has been one sided with the analysis of McGee's flaws. Even shaq had to admire it as he responded to KD saying he knows he is standing up for his teammate as every teammate should. McGee got tired of it and shaq needs to stop, or more like TNT needs to stop using McGee's flaws for a segment on their show.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Just plain stupid. He's easily becoming the least likable person in the nba.

ewing
02-25-2017, 02:59 PM
When it comes to skill I'd put him right there with Walton, McHale, and young Sabonis :shrug:

xxplayerxx23
02-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Don't blame him for defending his teammate.

aman_13
02-25-2017, 03:39 PM
I mean what irks me more is the fact how easily he is distracted.. you're playing for a championship, don't get caught up in your feelings.

He's defending his teammate. I have no problem with him voicing his opinion on the matter. Shaq needs to shut it. He was definitely over doing it with Javal and I'm glad the Warriors are letting him know that they don't find it amusing.

aman_13
02-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Exactly.

Leftcoast_yg
02-25-2017, 03:41 PM

Exactly!!! People just look for a reason to hate on the warriors or Durant even though they have done nothing to them as a person or fan. Winning and being successful will do that.

WITZ
02-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Hanging around Javale must have made him dumber because that comment is down right idiotic :laugh2:

aman_13
02-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Just plain stupid. He's easily becoming the least likable person in the nba.

Is he? I mean yeah I didn't like the move to the Warriors but that doesn't make him a bad person. He's just sticking up for his teammate here.

He's wrong about Shaq not being skilled but that's just an opinion.

mikekhelxD
02-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Shaq might not be as skillful as Boogie, but he didnt really need to due to his size and being strong as ****. He made use of that. He didnt need to shoot out of the post since he can just bully his *** inside all night long. He also complemented that with his jump hooks so he doesn't need to face up or do jump shots outside from what is already working. He probably could have learned more since he did show flashes whenever he does his coast to coast ****. As far as FTs go, well...lol.

But yeah, Shaq is just ****ing horrible on set. He is not that funny and i think most of us can see this whenever he tries to make a joke and when it doesn't work, he'll keep it mentioning it over and over again until everyone gets tired of it and just goes along with it. If Shaq is really wanted to be funny, he should have responded to KD's comment by linking his song I know I have Skills or something along those lines, anyone remember those days? Now, thats comedy.

ewing
02-25-2017, 05:03 PM
Shaq might not be as skillful as Boogie, but he didnt really need to due to his size and being strong as ****. He made use of that. He didnt need to shoot out of the post since he can just bully his *** inside all night long. He also complemented that with his jump hooks so he doesn't need to face up or do jump shots outside from what is already working. He probably could have learned more since he did show flashes whenever he does his coast to coast ****. As far as FTs go, well...lol.

But yeah, Shaq is just ****ing horrible on set. He is not that funny and i think most of us can see this whenever he tries to make a joke and when it doesn't work, he'll keep it mentioning it over and over again until everyone gets tired of it and just goes along with it. If Shaq is really wanted to be funny, he should have responded to KD's comment by linking his song I know I have Skills or something along those lines, anyone remember those days? Now, thats comedy.

Boogie is actually the best comparison on the NBA right now. He is capable of getting catches in the paint and crushing the offensive glass but he is in love with his ball skills. He is still no Shaq. Shaq could literally get a catch most possessions with at least one foot in the paint with the entire defensive knowing that it was going there. he was just to strong and mobile to stop from getting where he wanted. Once he had the ball a simple drop step and turn of the shoulder got him to the basket b/c he was so strong and explosive. Once he had that baby turn around bank shot from 10-12 feet he became completely unstoppable. So KD is right, he wasn't the most skilled but he was one of the best basketball players ever.

NYKnickFanatic
02-25-2017, 05:08 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Shaquille-ONeal-and-Michael-Jordan-Play-One-on-One-at-All-Star-Game-Shootaround.gif

Lakers + Giants
02-25-2017, 05:10 PM
Is it not a skill to take advantage of your natural talents? Shaq used his physical dominance in the same way lebron has taken advantage of his.

There are other players who have had the natural talent but didn't have the skill or IQ to do anything with it. IE Dwight (could've been even more special) and JAVALE (he has the physical tools he needs but never had the skill so its a waste of talent).

ewing
02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Is it not a skill to take advantage of your natural talents? Shaq used his physical dominance in the same way lebron has taken advantage of his.

There are other players who have had the natural talent but didn't have the skill or IQ to do anything with it. IE Dwight (could've been even more special) and JAVALE (he has the physical tools he needs but never had the skill so its a waste of talent).

LeBron waited far too long too take his game to the post. He could have been even better

ewing
02-25-2017, 05:16 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/shaquille-oneal-and-michael-jordan-play-one-on-one-at-all-star-game-shootaround.gif

omgz!!!!

Raps18-19 Champ
02-25-2017, 05:35 PM
I can understand he's defending his teammate but I mean at some point, you kinda have to accept the writing on the wall right?

Most/all of Javale's plays on Shaqtin a Fool have actually been deserved and he's just really quite an idiotic player, probably the dumbest in the league.

ewing
02-25-2017, 05:48 PM
KD is also right in that Shaq had some pretty laughable plays at times. He just happened to also have a lot more dominantly awesome moments.

europagnpilgrim
02-25-2017, 06:30 PM
When it comes to skill I'd put him right there with Walton, McHale, and young Sabonis :shrug:

Young Sabonis is probably better than Walton and McHale and at worst equally as good, its just too bad we got to see the injured/overweight/old version instead of the young dominant version, Portland probably wins a title or two with that young version combined with the stockpile of talent they had in that Sheed/Jailblazer era

valade16
02-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Young Sabonis is probably better than Walton and McHale and at worst equally as good, its just too bad we got to see the injured/overweight/old version instead of the young dominant version, Portland probably wins a title or two with that young version combined with the stockpile of talent they had in that Sheed/Jailblazer era

Well before that, Portland drafted Sabonis in 1986 but the USSR wanted to retain his amateur eligibility until 1988 so they prevented him from coming over. Had he come over he would have joined a core of Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Buck Williams and Kevin Duckworth that went to the Finals twice in 3 years in the early 90's.

Drexler believes Portland would have won a few Championship had Sabonis been allowed to come over.

tp13baby
02-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Shaq is an entertainer. Durant, McGee are ball players. Understand their role, we wouldn't even be in this situation. Just let Shaq do what he does and shut up and play ball.

Durant comment was more than stupid. Shaq had skill And his size helped

Isn't Durant a freak specimen with a crazy wingspan that he can shoot any shot because of his size. If he was 6'4 he would be very average in the league. Goes both ways.

tp13baby
02-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Shaq going at Durant for signing with GS and leaving Westbrook for ring chasing will be the next comment. Durant can't come back from that.

carlessyen
02-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Coming from Durant that is hilarious. All he can do is shoot. He is soft, can't rebound, mediocre passer, horrible defender. Warriors are a team of one way guys Curry same thing only s shooter, Thompson only a shooter. Green only one that can play overall good ball

GodsSon
02-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Durant is Charmin soft mentally.

kobe4thewinbang
02-25-2017, 09:01 PM
And Durant can do what, exactly? Miss 3's, make 3's, make dunks, and miss jumpers? He has no post game despite his size. Couldn't even score on Tony Allen and Chris Paul. Shaq wasn't most skilled, but his passing and general efficiency is enviable. Durant just sounds stupid, especially defending JaVale McGee, arguably the poster boy of unskilled big men.

One Nut Kruk
02-25-2017, 09:40 PM
I like how people turn this into another Durant hate thread.

Basically, he's defending a teammate by saying everybody has flaws no matter how great you are/were.

Talk about being soft and mentally weak, I sure as hell wouldn't want any of you as teammates.

FlashBolt
02-25-2017, 09:41 PM
He's right. Shaq was all power. Nothing about his game was pretty. Just too dominant that he didn't really need much skill.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-25-2017, 10:17 PM

Basically, he's defending a teammate by saying everybody has flaws no matter how great you are/were.

Talk about being soft and mentally weak, I sure as hell wouldn't want any of you as teammates.
Lol.

ewing
02-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Well before that, Portland drafted Sabonis in 1986 but the USSR wanted to retain his amateur eligibility until 1988 so they prevented him from coming over. Had he come over he would have joined a core of Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Buck Williams and Kevin Duckworth that went to the Finals twice in 3 years in the early 90's.

Drexler believes Portland would have won a few Championship had Sabonis been allowed to come over.

That would have been awesome

ewing
02-25-2017, 10:29 PM
And Durant can do what, exactly? Miss 3's, make 3's, make dunks, and miss jumpers? He has no post game despite his size. Couldn't even score on Tony Allen and Chris Paul. Shaq wasn't most skilled, but his passing and general efficiency is enviable. Durant just sounds stupid, especially defending JaVale McGee, arguably the poster boy of unskilled big men.

This is a good point. I was disgusted by Durant starting his offense 30 feet from the basket matched up one on one with Curry.

LOb0
02-25-2017, 10:41 PM

I'm not sure he's wrong. Even old Sabonis you could see the insane skills in that crippled body. Best passing big I've ever seen, with a great stoke. It would have pushed Jordan to his limits.

NFLNBA
02-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Shaq was not that big power house 350+ man when he came out of college. He was extremely athletic and quick for a 7'1 guy. All that weight didn't get put on tell he joined Lakers. Shaq was unstoppable around basket with little jump hooks with either hand, up and unders, hop steps and the big guy was one of best defenders the game had. For a traditional big man he was as good as it got. Big men in todays game are shooters and soft. Its a different generation. Anyway.....Durrant you are a dumbass for that comment lol

FOXHOUND
02-26-2017, 01:56 AM
I think Durant was just taking a shot that he knew would get under insecure Shaq's skin. It's easy to push Shaq's buttons, that's all that was happening there.

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2017, 02:09 AM
No skill? Wrong.

Not as skilled as any other elite player? I'd say yeah. I'd say Shaq is easily the least skilled player among anybody else who has a case to be top-ten.

He could rebound, but despite his size and dominance, he was never really the best rebounder in the league.
He was never the best shot blocker.
He was never the best post defender.
He couldn't guard outside the paint.
He couldn't shoot outside the paint.
His post game relied HEAVILY on offensive fouls that officials didn't call.

I say this not because I'm a Shaq hater, but because it's true.

That said, he
Had a great post game.
He was a great rebounder (even if not the best)
He was an amazing passing for a big man, especially by the time he got to LAL.

He had skills..., but the spirit of KD's comments are correct. He relied about 75/25 on physical gift/skill.

Obviously guys like Durant and Jordan and James all have physical gifts they rely on, but they also rely a LOT on skills.

If is obviously hard to measure the ratio of gift/skills, but I think if you look at a list of the top players all time: MJ, Bird, Magic, Russell, Wilt, the Big O, Hakeem, Duncan, LBJ, Kobe, Kareem, and a few outliers like West, KD, Garnett, Dirk..... it's pretty clear the guy who relied most on size and least on skills was Shaq.

Flip that question around, and you'll have a great appreciation for Larry Bird. Who relied on physical gifts the least and skill the most? Sure... Bird was a big dude.... but he was SO unathletic... slow... I mean... he'd trip trying to jump over a pancake, but he put together some of the most amazing seasons you'll ever see relying on skill and BBIQ.

But yeah.... Shaq deserves a comment like that. If he put in the kind of work that Karl Malone or MJ had, he would have been averaging 40/20.

Vinylman
02-26-2017, 11:54 AM
shaq 4...

Durant 0...

Durant... a ***** who joins up with a stacked team to try and win a chip

Shaq... left a better team (Orlando) and then led a team in LA to 3 straight titles

Shaq is a dick but Durant isn't a man

valade16
02-26-2017, 12:26 PM

That may have been his overarching point, but he said Shaq had no skill. That's different than saying he had flaws.

GoferKing_
02-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Sorry, Durant is an idiot.

One Nut Kruk
02-26-2017, 03:04 PM
That may have been his overarching point, but he said Shaq had no skill. That's different than saying he had flaws.

He did say he has no skills but I think he meant it as far as shooting the basketball (****** free throw shooter, couldn't shoot outside the paint, etc) considering he did say Shaq was still a great player despite that but had his flaws too.

LA4life24/8
02-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Ive always liked durant, lost some respect for his jump to golden state...

With that being said i get he's defending a teammate which is fine and good, but talking **** about a dude who is top 10 all time isnt smart lol. Not to mention it goes both ways because for sure if durant wasnt so tall he wouldnt be as good as he is either... soo he shoulda chosen a wiser way to defend his teammate w.o calling out one of goats

bagwell368
02-26-2017, 07:47 PM

Let's forget Sabonis for the moment.

McHale and Walton were vastly more skilled than Shaq. VASTLY. It's not even an argument.

nastynice
02-26-2017, 08:09 PM
It's funny cuz at the time I (and many others) felt he didn't have much skill, just mostly size. But now looking back at it, and the state of big men, he was actually very skilled.

tredigs
02-26-2017, 08:40 PM
He also said Shaq was great, he's just calling out the old bastard for getting into it with his teammate. Would be funny if Curry piled on and just trolled the fat ****.

ewing
02-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Let's forget Sabonis for the moment.

McHale and Walton were vastly more skilled than Shaq. VASTLY. It's not even an argument.

My post was scarastic

bagwell368
02-26-2017, 10:09 PM
My post was scarastic

Excellent, then we don't have to argue. Let's toss in Hakeem and Kareem for good measure...

tredigs
02-26-2017, 10:33 PM
Excellent, then we don't have to argue. Let's toss in Hakeem and Kareem for good measure...

Skills deteriorate appreciably as your size increases, and they were not close to his size. That said, Shaq was not an amazing talent. Very good, not great. He was just a beast that Centers could not contain.

IKnowHoops
02-27-2017, 01:35 AM

Forgot about that song

More-Than-Most
02-27-2017, 02:22 AM
you know why this bothers me... This dude literally works his *** off and **** happens.. It happens to most players but when you are looking so hard you will always find ****... This dude cant hold Shaqs dick in terms of greatness but this dude that Shaq and others are laughing at and picking fun of has a much better work ethic then shaq ever did and is a much better teammate... This dude busts his *** to be better only to have to deal with this shot constantly to the point he isnt known for his play or his hard work or what he does for the kids and so on but for some stupid montage by a dude that has hate for any center ever because he has a complex... This is legit bullying BUT because its not a kid and because the person being bullied makes millions of dollars people brush it off and that is ******** and disgusting... On top of all of this he has handled it better than anyone else could have.

kobe4thewinbang
02-27-2017, 02:50 AM
you know why this bothers me... This dude literally works his *** off and **** happens.. It happens to most players but when you are looking so hard you will always find ****... This dude cant hold Shaqs dick in terms of greatness but this dude that Shaq and others are laughing at and picking fun of has a much better work ethic then shaq ever did and is a much better teammate... This dude busts his *** to be better only to have to deal with this shot constantly to the point he isnt known for his play or his hard work or what he does for the kids and so on but for some stupid montage by a dude that has hate for any center ever because he has a complex... This is legit bullying BUT because its not a kid and because the person being bullied makes millions of dollars people brush it off and that is ******** and disgusting... On top of all of this he has handled it better than anyone else could have.Show me the numbers, yo! If JAAAAAAVAAAALLLEEEEEEE MUUUUUUHHHHHHHGEEEEEEEEEEEEE is so hard-working, why is he still just a big oaf that can maybe get a block, a dunk, and make about 5 bonehead mistakes in garbage time? Why is he not in the starting lineup?

nastynice
02-27-2017, 02:53 AM
you know why this bothers me... This dude literally works his *** off and **** happens.. It happens to most players but when you are looking so hard you will always find ****... This dude cant hold Shaqs dick in terms of greatness but this dude that Shaq and others are laughing at and picking fun of has a much better work ethic then shaq ever did and is a much better teammate... This dude busts his *** to be better only to have to deal with this shot constantly to the point he isnt known for his play or his hard work or what he does for the kids and so on but for some stupid montage by a dude that has hate for any center ever because he has a complex... This is legit bullying BUT because its not a kid and because the person being bullied makes millions of dollars people brush it off and that is ******** and disgusting... On top of all of this he has handled it better than anyone else could have.

Real talk, that was the first thing I thought when i saw we signed him. And I barely watch cable tv. He definitely caught a label because of it.

He's actually hella good tho, that was a nice surprise

nastynice
02-27-2017, 02:56 AM
Show me the numbers, yo! If JAAAAAAVAAAALLLEEEEEEE MUUUUUUHHHHHHHGEEEEEEEEEEEEE is so hard-working, why is he still just a big oaf that can maybe get a block, a dunk, and make about 5 bonehead mistakes in garbage time? Why is he not in the starting lineup?

I low key want him to start in the playoffs. I'd be willing to bet that there will be at least one series where he gets more mins than zaza.

I'm pretty sure you haven't seen him play this year, he started off the season as a good back up big, and has absolutely improved leaps and bounds since then

More-Than-Most
02-27-2017, 03:01 AM
Show me the numbers, yo! If JAAAAAAVAAAALLLEEEEEEE MUUUUUUHHHHHHHGEEEEEEEEEEEEE is so hard-working, why is he still just a big oaf that can maybe get a block, a dunk, and make about 5 bonehead mistakes in garbage time? Why is he not in the starting lineup?

Your team just signed Mosgov to one of the worst contracts in basketball... Why is he in the starting lineup? Look at Noel.. Why was he an off the bench player? Why is Al Jefferson so coveted? Nomatter how skilled and how hard a person works sometime **** just doesnt pan out and they are who they are and its not for a lack of trying. Its the same dumb **** people would say about scalebrine... He showed the drop off of non NBA players and how much of a joke it was that people thought they could beat him in basketball... No person should be belittled in their place of work if they are giving 100 percent... If they cant play fire them but he keeps getting a job and has to deal with a player who relied on size and power and showed up a fat **** at times always scrutinizing him.

More-Than-Most
02-27-2017, 03:06 AM

you want numbers? Mcgee is averging 6 points 3 rebounds and almost a block per game in 9.5 minutes per game... Mosgov is averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds on 51 percent shooting in 21 minutes per... Who is better exactly?

sep11ie
02-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Durant should shut up... Once he reaches 170 lbs his athleticism will be gone!

sep11ie
02-27-2017, 09:46 AM
you want numbers? Mcgee is averging 6 points 3 rebounds and almost a block per game in 9.5 minutes per game... Mosgov is averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds on 51 percent shooting in 21 minutes per... Who is better exactly?

McGee is on a stacked team. Shaq is the only person that pays attention to him while he's on the court.

IndyRealist
02-27-2017, 09:50 AM
If Durant was 6" shorter, he'd be average. Basketball is a game where size is an advantage. Shaq just exploited it.

Hawkeye15
02-27-2017, 10:31 AM
If Durant were 6'4". he would be Bradley Beal. What is his point?

For being 7'1", 320+ lbs, Shaq moved impossibly well. While sheer athletic ability isn't a skill necessarily, one of the common traits of many great athletes is.......ba ba baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....they are athletic

When I was 19, I played in a league with Kevin Lynch over the spring at a health club in west Minneapolis. I could shoot as well as him, handle, and move just as well. The difference? He had 6" in height on me. The biggest difference between D-1, and Pro players, and the novices? It starts with size.

ewing
02-27-2017, 11:25 AM

For being 7'1", 320+ lbs, Shaq moved impossibly well. While sheer athletic ability isn't a skill necessarily, one of the common traits of many great athletes is.......ba ba baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....they are athletic

When I was 19, I played in a league with Kevin Lynch over the spring at a health club in west Minneapolis. I could shoot as well as him, handle, and move just as well. The difference? He had 6" in height on me. The biggest difference between D-1, and Pro players, and the novices? It starts with size.

I remember playing with Dante Jones. They said he couldn't shoot, well he could when my 5'10 white *** was checking him. Rise up and knock it down, made it look easy.

Vinylman
02-27-2017, 11:37 AM

talk about revisionist history...

hard worker? maybe that is the image he wants to put out there now... never was the case early in his career.

Big Zo
02-27-2017, 11:41 AM
Durant is by far the biggest b´tch in the NBA. He talked **** about the Heat's big 3 when they formed, only to pull a copycat move years later, on a team that had already won a championship. Shaq will have more credibility than Durant ever will.

Hawkeye15
02-27-2017, 11:42 AM
I actually remember seeing Shaq when he was 19, he was playing at am amateur tournament, that was for Soph and under D-1 players. Damon Bailey was there, I can't remember who else. Val Barnes I think was there. Anyways, he broke the basket dunking it. At 19. My Dad was 6'6", 220 lbs, and when Shaq walked by him in the hallway, he made my Dad look like a little girl.

Shaq is so huge. Somebody that big should not be able to rebound, go coast to coast, and dunk. They shouldn't be able to use a drop step and not fall over, let alone toss a 280 lb man like a doll, and dunk.

Say what you want about Shaq's skill, but the dude was INCREDIBLY athletic and coordinated for his size.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-27-2017, 11:48 AM
I actually remember seeing Shaq when he was 19, he was playing at am amateur tournament, that was for Soph and under D-1 players. Damon Bailey was there, I can't remember who else. Val Barnes I think was there. Anyways, he broke the basket dunking it. At 19. My Dad was 6'6", 220 lbs, and when Shaq walked by him in the hallway, he made my Dad look like a little girl.

Shaq is so huge. Somebody that big should not be able to rebound, go coast to coast, and dunk. They shouldn't be able to use a drop step and not fall over, let alone toss a 280 lb man like a doll, and dunk.

Say what you want about Shaq's skill, but the dude was INCREDIBLY athletic and coordinated for his size.

I remember seeing him before college even
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv_AlRfm998

Hawkeye15
02-27-2017, 11:51 AM
I remember seeing him before college even
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv_AlRfm998

remember the army guy who went to him in the stands when he was a kid?

goes up to a 6"8" Shaq

"Hey son, what team do you play for here?"
"None, I am 12 years old"

IKnowHoops
02-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Shaq IMO is in the GOAT discussion. To me its Jordan, Lebron, and Shaq in any order. Durant...I sorta like where your heads at, defending your guy, but, be factual if your gonna talk. if you say Shaq had no skill, you come off as ignorant.

tp13baby
02-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Beal has lateral quickness that KD does not have. He has 20 foot strides to beat people. He would be a shooter that's it.

Hawkeye15
02-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Beal has lateral quickness that KD does not have. He has 20 foot strides to beat people. He would be a shooter that's it.

you get what I mean dude.

Chronz
02-27-2017, 03:18 PM
As I've said from day 1 of the internets, skill doesn't mean **** when compared to impact. Shaq should just say he was born to play and you were born to never be as good.

ewing
02-27-2017, 03:34 PM

They loved the guy at IU. He had a great post game for a PG

Hawkeye15
02-27-2017, 03:40 PM
They loved the guy at IU. He had a great post game for a PG

fun fact, did you know Bob Knight offered him a full scholarship when he was in 8th grade?

IKnowHoops
02-27-2017, 04:14 PM
As I've said from day 1 of the internets, skill doesn't mean **** when compared to impact. Shaq should just say he was born to play and you were born to never be as good.

If Shaq could of shot 75% from the free throw line, I think his impact would of been at unrivaled GOAT Level. I think he may have averaged over 40 a game. He would of been guarded different and it it would of been even harder for teams to contain him. He may get 8 rings if he can shoot at a 75% free throw clip.

Chronz
02-27-2017, 04:48 PM
If Shaq could of shot 75% from the free throw line, I think his impact would of been at unrivaled GOAT Level. I think he may have averaged over 40 a game. He would of been guarded different and it it would of been even harder for teams to contain him. He may get 8 rings if he can shoot at a 75% free throw clip.

I remember saying that during my year 1 years and pissed off many MJ fans.

LOb0
02-27-2017, 05:05 PM
I remember saying that during my year 1 years and pissed off many MJ fans.

lol I wonder what his statistical calculations would be. I'm the biggest MJ fan around but logic is logic.

tredigs
02-27-2017, 07:00 PM
lol I wonder what his statistical calculations would be. I'm the biggest MJ fan around but logic is logic.

He'd have more freedom offensively if he was an average foul shooter, but he'd also be fouled less (and no intentionals), so it's tough to imagine much of a difference given the 2nd fact. Just % wise the difference amounts for a couple more PPG. So in his prime (Orlando and LA) he's a 29 PPG scorer instead of a 27 PPG scorer. I don't see much of an argument for that eclipsing the prime of Jordan, or that it's more dominant than prime Kareem (7 year stretch of 30/15/5 on 55/71 + 1.7st, 3.7 blks - with 5 MVP's and leading the league in PER/WS-48 6 of those MVP's).

FlashBolt
02-27-2017, 07:49 PM
if deandre jordan had hakeem skills, he would be the GOAT center.. too bad he doesn't. Shaq couldn't hit FT's but he found another way to dominate. Can't have it all. These hypothetical are all fun until you realize that you can do it for any other player.

valade16
02-27-2017, 08:44 PM
He'd have more freedom offensively if he was an average foul shooter, but he'd also be fouled less (and no intentionals), so it's tough to imagine much of a difference given the 2nd fact. Just % wise the difference amounts for a couple more PPG. So in his prime (Orlando and LA) he's a 29 PPG scorer instead of a 27 PPG scorer. I don't see much of an argument for that eclipsing the prime of Jordan, or that it's more dominant than prime Kareem (7 year stretch of 30/15/5 on 55/71 + 1.7st, 3.7 blks - with 5 MVP's and leading the league in PER/WS-48 6 of those MVP's).

Obviously we can only speculate on how he would have been played against had he had that ability, but in terms of numbers, I just did the math on his highest scoring season (99-00) when he scored 29.7 PPG and his average would have increased to 32.0 PPG if he were a 75% FT shooter that season.