PDA

View Full Version : Ben Simmons Out For the Rest of the Year

koldjerky
02-24-2017, 11:45 AM
Ben Simmons is officially out for the season, Sixers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo said Friday

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-76ers/ben-simmons-officially-ruled-out-season-sixers

Avenged
02-24-2017, 11:49 AM
The tank for Lonzo Ball has begun!

LA4life24/8
02-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Wow im soooooo surprised 😒 what is this now, 3 out of the last 5 lottery picks for them who missed their entire first year? God i hope lakers keep their top 3 this year just to spite them.

ewing
02-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Its a tanker's league

DanG
02-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Obviously lying, there was no setback. Probably been healthy for months now.

TheDish87
02-24-2017, 12:35 PM

you can have Ball. We want Fultz.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2017, 12:42 PM
the trade away of Illy yesterday was the confirmation of tanking for the year. They got what they needed, an identification that they have a star if healthy, another rookie who will be good, and they have upwards of 2 picks to finish themselves off in the rebuild for the next 10 years.

DanG
02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
SportandoVerified account‏@Sportando 2h2 hours ago
More
CT scan on Ben Simmons' foot reportedly showed a fracture

Wasn't there a scan about a month ago which revealed no setbacks?

Did he refracture himself while raising a cat on instagram or what?

THE MTL
02-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Nerlens Noel missed a full season, Embiid missed two seasons, and now Ben Simmons missed a full season.

LA4life24/8
02-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Wasn't there a scan about a month ago which revealed no setbacks?

Did he refracture himself while raising a cat on instagram or what?
Probably malarky. They saw la give away theyre "best chance at winning games" and saw the top 3 chances get higher, so they decided to get the tank out of the shed.

Wouldnt be surprised if we dont see much of embiid the rest of this year either.

Scoots
02-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Is ANYBODY surprised?

The only thing the Sixers have done this year that surprised me is NOT trade Okafor.

mudvayne387
02-24-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry but the Sixers are still trash.

Out of this whole tanking ordeal they end up with:

1 Potential Star (Embiid), 1 starter (Saric) and an unknown in Simmons.

Okafor is trash, Noel was just shipped out for a bag of balls and they still don't have a starting caliber guard on the roster. Look, I understand the tanking philosophy, I really do. But I seriously question if they will ever be a contender with the pieces they plan on building around. Their only hope is hitting the F/A lottery.

Scoots
02-24-2017, 01:16 PM
So ... teams in the tank zone ...

Sixers
Lakers
Kings

Bulls?
Suns?
Heat? (not doing a good job of it lately)
Pacers?
Wolves?
Magic?

Scoots
02-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Okafor is trash, Noel was just shipped out for a bag of balls and they still don't have a starting caliber guard on the roster. Look, I understand the tanking philosophy, I really do. But I seriously question if they will ever be a contender with the pieces they plan on building around. Their only hope is hitting the F/A lottery.

If the Sixers get a top 4 pick this year they will have a guard with very high potential. It's painful to watch, but they really could be something special in 3 more years ... if the players develop and they can keep them around.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Sixers
Lakers
Kings

Bulls?
Suns?
Pacers?
Wolves?
Magic?

Wolves are trying like hell to make the playoffs.

Scoots
02-24-2017, 02:01 PM

I thought so, but they made no moves and while they are doing better lately I'm still surprised how up and down they've been then they lost LaVine ... I'll take your word for it.

ewing
02-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Sixers
Lakers
Kings

Bulls?
Suns?
Pacers?
Wolves?
Magic?

you forgot both NY teams and Philly at least.

Vee-Rex
02-24-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm personally happy for this news since I don't want him to screw something up by trying to play the last 25 or so games.

Take the year off, kid. Foot fractures are tough to recover from - get yourself ready for next season and lets see what you got.

LA4life24/8
02-24-2017, 02:36 PM
I mean i get it, but it just seems a little coincidental that this has been a reocurring thing for there young players who should be helping them turn the franchise around.

Maybe it really is just bad luck or maybe its bad karma, i kinda just feel bad for their fans and young players who go there.

With that said if they ever get all these guys healthy in the same season(s) they could def be a serious team in the near ish future.

LA4life24/8
02-24-2017, 02:37 PM

You think they shoulda made more deals ? Like rose for rubio or whatever? They could sneak in but they are gonna have to fight like hell cuz the pelicans also want that 8 seed.

valade16
02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
You think they shoulda made more deals ? Like rose for rubio or whatever? They could sneak in but they are gonna have to fight like hell cuz the pelicans also want that 8 seed.

The timberwolves, mavericks, Blazers, pelicans and nuggets are all trying for the 8th seed. It should be very competitive down the stretch

koldjerky
02-24-2017, 03:04 PM

The entire problem with this is that the Colangelos took over. There was supposedly a trade Hinkie had to deal Okafor last deadline but was nixed by management. With how his trades have worked out, I'm sure it was a lot more beneficial than what Noel was just shipped for. This tanking is going to be all for naught because the architect of the entire thing didn't get to build off of his blueprint. If it fails, it's because management ****ed up. The real mistake in this whole process was getting Okafor but that looked to be fixed prior to this season. It's crumbling.

IndyRealist
02-24-2017, 03:26 PM

Sixers
Lakers
Kings

Bulls?
Suns?
Pacers?
Wolves?
Magic?

Pacers don't believe in tanking. They just overvalue their own assets.

PowerHouse
02-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Its a tanker's world we just livin in it.

Scoots
02-24-2017, 03:49 PM
you forgot both NY teams and Philly at least.

Philly was first on my list :)

I didn't think there was anything the NY teams could gain by tanking ... so they just suck.

tredigs
02-24-2017, 03:52 PM
So he will play his 1st game approximately 10 months after the original prognosis? Got it. And all that talk about him practicing 5 on 5 for the past couple months and just working to get his conditioning back? I suppose we can expect not to see Embiid again this year as well.

Super shady organization when it comes to injuries and recovery time.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2017, 03:54 PM
I thought so, but they made no moves and while they are doing better lately I'm still surprised how up and down they've been then they lost LaVine ... I'll take your word for it.

doesn't mean they will make it haha. The Rubio/Rose swap made zero sense. And what else can they trade for, without disrupting their future core?

bleedprple&gold
02-24-2017, 03:55 PM
I knew he was gonna sit out the year as soon as he got hurt. The Sixers were so happy to have an excuse to sit him out.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2017, 03:57 PM

I don't think the Wolves will make the playoffs, they have a very tough remaining schedule, and they just don't play the defense necessary.

I understand the writing is on the wall with Rubio, he isn't the future of the team at PG. And I am fine with that. While I think he is a good PG, his big weakness will just be such an issue come playoffs, when teams will force him to shoot. But trading for Rose made literally no sense to me. Dunn has sucked so far, and I have no confidence he is our PG of the future. Rubio is a stop gap for now, and is fine until the right deal/FA/draft pick comes along.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2017, 03:57 PM
I knew he was gonna sit out the year as soon as he got hurt. The Sixers were so happy to have an excuse to sit him out.

nm

tp13baby
02-24-2017, 04:29 PM
"trust the process" they said,
great things to come, they said.

TheIlladelph16
02-24-2017, 04:57 PM
I mean i get it, but it just seems a little coincidental that this has been a reocurring thing for there young players who should be helping them turn the franchise around.

Maybe it really is just bad luck or maybe its bad karma, i kinda just feel bad for their fans and young players who go there.

With that said if they ever get all these guys healthy in the same season(s) they could def be a serious team in the near ish future.

It's not really coincidental when they drafted two of the players (Noel & Embiid) knowing they had the injuries already. Simmons breaking his foot right before the season might be, but it's unfortunately just **** luck.

warfelg
02-24-2017, 04:58 PM
"trust the process" they said,
great things to come, they said.

You must fire Hinkie they said.
You should hire Colangelo they said.

Dade County
02-24-2017, 05:01 PM

This should be their last year tanking.

I wish the HEAT was also taking for a top 3 pick, but I believe they are going to aim for the playoffs.

warfelg
02-24-2017, 05:04 PM
I mean my question for you guys:

3 years ago there was no updates on Noel, just said he was progressing.
2 years ago there was no updates on Embiid, just said he was progressing.
1 year ago there was no updates on Embiid, just said he was progressing.

This year Colangelo gave constant updates on Simmons distributing false hope that he would play.

**** he even said today the Embiid was out "at least 4 games", but said it could be an 'indefinite' amount of time.

The NBA wanted Hinkie out because he didn't talk. Instead they got Ly'in Bryan in his place.

Scoots
02-24-2017, 05:23 PM
I don't think the Wolves will make the playoffs, they have a very tough remaining schedule, and they just don't play the defense necessary.

I understand the writing is on the wall with Rubio, he isn't the future of the team at PG. And I am fine with that. While I think he is a good PG, his big weakness will just be such an issue come playoffs, when teams will force him to shoot. But trading for Rose made literally no sense to me. Dunn has sucked so far, and I have no confidence he is our PG of the future. Rubio is a stop gap for now, and is fine until the right deal/FA/draft pick comes along.

At some point it makes sense just to move him to start finding his replacement. Another $28M owed him it's going to be tough to get much in return. I thought maybe they could have found someone interested to take him for a late conditional pick or something. I agree on Rose though.

valade16
02-24-2017, 06:24 PM
This should be their last year tanking.

I wish the HEAT was also taking for a top 3 pick, but I believe they are going to aim for the playoffs.

They said last year was their last year lol

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2017, 06:47 PM
This is FOUR YEARS IN A ROW that this team has gone without a first overall-pick playing

Noel
Embiid
Embiid
Simmons

Okafor is likely happy that Embiid took to turns for him so that he didn't have to miss out on his rookie year.

lol

At some point you just have to say: this is not a curse. This is a pattern.

Scoots
02-24-2017, 07:57 PM
This is FOUR YEARS IN A ROW that this team has gone without a first overall-pick playing

Noel
Embiid
Embiid
Simmons

Okafor is likely happy that Embiid took to turns for him so that he didn't have to miss out on his rookie year.

lol

Noel wasn't first overall.

More-Than-Most
02-24-2017, 08:01 PM
we have to be one of the best teams ever... To tank like everyone says we do on top of not having simmons at all and embiid for less than a 3rd of the year and no Noel for the beginning of the year we are still better than teams like the suns/lakers and lately were pounding on teams like the knicks/bucks and so on without said players.. To tank and be able to do that... AMAZING.... Its smart... 25 games left and not healthy there is no point in risking it and sure as hell no point in keeping Illya... We are going to finish with 25 plus wins... People saying we tanked this year are clueless

More-Than-Most
02-24-2017, 08:03 PM

Noel
Embiid
Embiid
Simmons

lol

only simmons is a first overall pick. How much has the other teams drafted players played this year by the way? Outside of ingram and a few others they are getting very little time... Simmons had a freak injury.... Colengelo is just a liar and a sneak

Giannis94
02-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Can't say I'm surprised by this news.

More-Than-Most
02-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Can't say I'm surprised by this news.

I am just glad he didnt tear his ACL............................ Twice.

TheDish87
02-24-2017, 09:11 PM

Noel
Embiid
Embiid
Simmons

lol

cant control injuries. Noel and Embiid were drafted with pre-existing injuries anyway.

More-Than-Most
02-24-2017, 09:15 PM
sixers ****ing suck man... up by double digits on one of the better teams and hottest teams in basketball right now... TANK DOH.... Even if we lose we are more competitive then every other under 500 team : )

KB24PG16
02-24-2017, 09:16 PM
if they're holding him out unnecessarily it is not a smart move, you have to let your players develop at some point. keeping them sheltered off the court is not going to make them better.

warfelg
02-24-2017, 09:44 PM
if they're holding him out unnecessarily it is not a smart move, you have to let your players develop at some point. keeping them sheltered off the court is not going to make them better.

The reports are that there's still a break there....but no one knows if it's new or old.

Giannis94
02-24-2017, 09:49 PM
I am just glad he didnt tear his ACL............................ Twice.

Jabari has played 5x (131? v 30? IIRC) games Oden Jr has despite being drafted in the same CLASS.. Oden Jr is on pace to reach Jabaris games played in his 10th nba season at current rate.. Jabari is also the better player and get to perform long term.

Giannis94
02-24-2017, 09:49 PM
The reports are that there's still a break there....but no one knows if it's new or old.

It was russia

More-Than-Most
02-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Jabari has played 5x (131? v 30? IIRC) games Oden Jr has despite being drafted in the same CLASS.. Oden Jr is on pace to reach Jabaris games played in his 10th nba season at current rate.. Jabari is also the better player and get to perform long term.

honestly it must suck... knowing how great embiid is and how sick simmons will likely be and how we will get a lottery pick plus have the lakers and kings picks coming up and a guy like saric/covington... without simmons and embiid and noel we will be 3 games back of the bucks after tonight... a team that is said to be tanking right now by haters is one of the better teams in basketball over the past 20 games... funny how that works... BUT YO THE TANK IS REAL....

Fun note... I would take Saric over parker every day and twice on sunday without a second thought... Embiid/Dario/Simmons---------------------------->everything the bucks has and its not close. :love: you though good buddy.

Giannis94
02-24-2017, 10:30 PM
honestly it must suck... knowing how great embiid is and how sick simmons will likely be and how we will get a lottery pick plus have the lakers and kings picks coming up and a guy like saric/covington... without simmons and embiid and noel we will be 3 games back of the bucks after tonight... a team that is said to be tanking right now by haters is one of the better teams in basketball over the past 20 games... funny how that works... BUT YO THE TANK IS REAL....

Fun note... I would take Saric over parker every day and twice on sunday without a second thought... Embiid/Dario/Simmons---------------------------->everything the bucks has and its not close. :love: you though good buddy.

You read too much fake news. SMFH philly.

Simmons and Oden Jr were like you in the NFL mock. Saw their face once and ended up in the hospital (until proven otherwise).

Teeboy1487
02-24-2017, 10:38 PM
#AlternativeWinning

Giannis94
02-24-2017, 11:02 PM
#AlternativeWinning

Yes. Losing a year of team control is winning.