PDA

View Full Version : Lou Williams traded to Rockets for Corey Brewer, 1st round pick

NYKnickFanatic
02-21-2017, 08:57 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693208-lou-williams-traded-to-rockets-lakers-receive-corey-brewer-draft-pick

He will definitely fit their style of play.

KB24PG16
02-21-2017, 09:01 PM
lakers trying to keep their pick, losing williams will help dude is playing his best ball right now

mightybosstone
02-21-2017, 09:12 PM
I'm obviously biased, but I really, really like this deal for Houston. They get rid of their worst rotational player and add a guy who immediately becomes their No. 2 or No. 3 scoring option. He and Gordon are going to be insanely difficult for opposing 2nd units to defend, and it gives them a ton of flexibility with small ball lineups.

I was hoping for Gallo, but this is a great consolation prize. They turn a weakness into a strength and gave up an extremely low 1st rounder to do it.

shep33
02-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Seems like both parties got what they wanted. Lakers get really really bad and get a first. Brewer is of no significance cause we're not in need to cap space (nobody is signing with us this summer, nor are they worth it).

Tank moves on!

For Houston though, doesn't that create a log jam at the guard spots? Bev, Harden, Gordon. Guess less mins for Bev.

NYKnickFanatic
02-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Seems like both parties got what they wanted. Lakers get really really bad and get a first. Brewer is of no significance cause we're not in need to cap space (nobody is signing with us this summer, nor are they worth it).

Tank moves on!

For Houston though, doesn't that create a log jam at the guard spots? Bev, Harden, Gordon. Guess less mins for Bev.

I'm not familiar with the draft class but who is there to tank for? How good is Lonzo Ball?

zn23
02-21-2017, 09:24 PM
You want to talk about a heist? They got the best 6th man in the league for a total bum. They gave up a first round pick... but that's going to be like the 26th pick.

I guess the Lakers just want to tank for a high pick again?

Williams will fit really well into D'Antoni's system.

Wade n Fade
02-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Corey Brewer buyout time?

Scoots
02-21-2017, 09:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the draft class but who is there to tank for? How good is Lonzo Ball?

If the Lakers finish outside the top 3 they lose the pick (IIRC) ... not so much tank for a specific player as tank to be able to get ANY player.

STRIKERC
02-21-2017, 09:34 PM
But when the Sixers did it everyone and their grandmother were up in arms about it.

mightybosstone
02-21-2017, 09:34 PM

Tank moves on!

Not really. Consider that Brewer was the primary backup SG, and he has played 16 minutes per game despite being terrible. Williams will pick up those minutes, and I see D'Antoni playing a lot more small ball with Harden on the floor with two other guards between Bev, Gordon and Williams. Also, Houston was in need of another creator and shooter, of which Williams can really fill both roles.

The other key element here is that Gordon and Beverley both have had nagging little injuries throughout this season, too, so Williams is great insurance for when those guys miss time.

Saddletramp
02-21-2017, 09:36 PM
The two top Sixth Men in the league AND they got out of Brewer's contract? Nice.

Dade County
02-21-2017, 09:38 PM
I like the move, but they already have enough offense. He will fit in nicely though.

shep33
02-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Not really. Consider that Brewer was the primary backup SG, and he has played 16 minutes per game despite being terrible. Williams will pick up those minutes, and I see D'Antoni playing a lot more small ball with Harden on the floor with two other guards between Bev, Gordon and Williams. Also, Houston was in need of another creator and shooter, of which Williams can really fill both roles.

The other key element here is that Gordon and Beverley both have had nagging little injuries throughout this season, too, so Williams is great insurance for when those guys miss time.

I feel it. You can't go wrong with adding more talent. Lou will help, especially in the case of Gordon who is often injured. Good deal.

rhino17
02-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Love the trade although I think it works for everyone. Rockets obviously "won" because they got the best player, but there was no point for LA to keep him around if they are not winning, at least they got a low 1st rounder out of it.

Plus Pat and James have just been playing too many minutes in general, cutting their minutes down slightly will be beneficial in the long run

KobeOwnSU
02-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Solid all around trade for both teams. I don't think Brewer will be in LA long. Probably be traded or bought out in the offseason.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tp13baby
02-21-2017, 10:00 PM

Lonzo Ball has unreal vision and arguably the fastes player on the court at all time. Funky shot but it does in.

Markelle Fultz plays like Harden.

Those are the top 2 guys with 3-10 have unreal potential. 11-20 there are a lot of high potential guys that haven't quite figured it out in college.

superwill
02-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Well pops Ball believes his son can take Steph Curry's place on the warriors right now and be better than Steph a two time MVP and world champion

shep33
02-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Some other guys in the draft that are dope:

Dennis Smith
Josh Jackson
Jonathan Isaac
Jayson Tatum
Malik Monk
D'Aaron Fox
Harry Giles (interesting cause he's been injured)

LOb0
02-21-2017, 11:04 PM
So they got almost as much as Kings got for Boogie

Avenged
02-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Lonzo Ball is gonna be great imo. I wish the Lakers have a chance at grabbing him.

mightybosstone
02-21-2017, 11:20 PM
So they got almost as much as Kings got for Boogie

The Kings got a lottery pick and a top 10 pick from last year's draft. The Lakers got a pick in the high 20s and one of the worst veteran rotational players in the league.

I get that you're trying to downplay the Kings deal, but these two packages are not remotely close.

LOb0
02-21-2017, 11:27 PM
The Kings got a lottery pick and a top 10 pick from last year's draft. The Lakers got a pick in the high 20s and one of the worst veteran rotational players in the league.

I get that you're trying to downplay the Kings deal, but these two packages are not remotely close.

lol if the Pelicans make the Playoffs what pick will that end up being? If Buddy doesn't pan out how is this trade any different?

LA_Raiders
02-21-2017, 11:33 PM
Good tank trade.

Scoots
02-21-2017, 11:37 PM

Once a player is drafted and traded their draft position is meaningless, see Anthony Bennett. The Kings may not end up with a lottery pick at all this year. And what the Kings sent out was WAAAAAAAAAY more than what the Lakers sent. All in I can see the point in comparing them.

LoveCaliFan
02-21-2017, 11:40 PM
Non thinking people in here. If we fall out bottom 3 doesn't mean we lose the pick. Just ask BOS. There is always a chance for the Lottery(rigged) to fall our way. ol..Tbh, i don't think we get the pick no matter what happens. Which is why we need 1 more 2017 pick for insurance...

c.c.
02-21-2017, 11:47 PM
"In Morey we trust"

mightybosstone
02-21-2017, 11:56 PM
lol if the Pelicans make the Playoffs what pick will that end up being? If Buddy doesn't pan out how is this trade any different?

Right now, you're talking about 18 spots in the draft (9th to 27th). That's a massive difference. If New Orleans somehow sneaks in as the 8 seed and Houston were to drop a couple of spots (neither of which I would bet on), you're still talking about 10-12 spots on the draft. That's significant.

And say what you will about Hield. I'm very aware of how bad he's been thus far, but he's still got infinitely more value than Brewer, who has almost no value whatsoever to a rebuilding team.

mightybosstone
02-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Once a player is drafted and traded their draft position is meaningless, see Anthony Bennett. The Kings may not end up with a lottery pick at all this year. And what the Kings sent out was WAAAAAAAAAY more than what the Lakers sent. All in I can see the point in comparing them.I'm really confused by what you're saying here. I think there might be some words missing...

LoveCaliFan
02-22-2017, 12:08 AM
You want to talk about a heist? They got the best 6th man in the league for a total bum. They gave up a first round pick... but that's going to be like the 26th pick.

I guess the Lakers just want to tank for a high pick again?

Williams will fit really well into D'Antoni's system.

There are plenty of sleepers that could go late. Imo this is a stepping stone to a higher pick for a package around Deng or Moz and maybe JC, Randle..So maybe we use this and fillers to get higher in the draft. If not, i trust the NEW FO to find a sleeper(Kennard, etc.) just for example..

Switch
02-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Good trade for both sides

We need to lose as much games as possible to retain our pick and trading our top scorer just helps that. Not only that, but we get a late 1st round pick in a deep draft. I'll take that any day of the week.

Houston gets one of the best bench pieces in the league and he will fit in nicely in D'Antoni's system

clehmun
02-22-2017, 12:44 AM
It's a decent trade for me. Not sure why Lakers didn't ask for a little more.

The Jazz, Hornets, Wizards & Pelicans expressed interest for Lou Will and all should end up having higher draft picks.

superwill
02-22-2017, 12:47 AM
I'm so glad this change was made by Jeannie Buss I am ****ing tired of this tank ******** every ****ing year mother****ers talk about getting in the top 3 like were the DAMN Kings **** that I'm glad #nobodyssafe

SirSkyHook
02-22-2017, 01:29 AM
I'm so glad this change was made by Jeannie Buss I am ****ing tired of this tank ******** every ****ing year mother****ers talk about getting in the top 3 like were the DAMN Kings **** that I'm glad #nobodyssafe

Love our young talent but **** it #nobodyssafe lol

tredigs
02-22-2017, 01:44 AM
Two things. This makes the Rockets offense even more dangerous, and even more of a wild card from a "Well if they just go bananas against the Warriors from 3, who knows?". And also if you're a person who hated watching the Rockets before due to the amount of mind numbing calls they can elicit, this trade won't ease your sole. There may not be a more egregious manipulator of fake contact in the NBA than Lou Will at this point. He's very tough to watch.

More-Than-Most
02-22-2017, 01:50 AM
Let me say.... It is so ****ing humerous watching all the hypocrites beg for the tank and pray for the tank these past 2 years from the lakers to the knicks and so on down the list after just flat out destroying the sixers for it... This is year 3 from the laker tank already... Interesting how that works huh? What seems like 1 season quickly turns into what is now 3 and now the crowd that screamed from the tops of mountains about us are "happy" for the lakers trading LOU to further the tank :laugh:

:clap:

Those tables... How they turn.... Those rock throwers in those glass houses complaining about a few broken windows... :clap:

Htownballa1622
02-22-2017, 01:51 AM
Fair trade for both sides.

Brew will help Lakers tank and he plays hard. Good culture guy. I'll miss his attitude cuz he's such a nice guy. Won't miss the missed 3s and dumb plays but hey, we just got back an egregious sweep through move when driving left in lou.

He is worse than harden imo. Harden creates contact. Lou fakes contact. I'll take it though. We needed another playmaker.

And good for Lakers to get a first (no matter where it lands) cuz they need the first more than an aging Lou.

kobe4thewinbang
02-22-2017, 04:49 AM
I don't understand the trade. I mean, it's nice to get a draft pick, and Lou will be nice for Houston, but Corey Brewer? Rather have a Sam Dekker or something. Eh...and I'm not a fan of tanking, so I'll say it's a nice salary cut that can go elsewhere in the summer and in the meantime give more shot opportunities to other Lakers.

:hope:

mightybosstone
02-22-2017, 09:15 AM
I don't understand the trade. I mean, it's nice to get a draft pick, and Lou will be nice for Houston, but Corey Brewer? Rather have a Sam Dekker or something. Eh...and I'm not a fan of tanking, so I'll say it's a nice salary cut that can go elsewhere in the summer and in the meantime give more shot opportunities to other Lakers.

:hope:

Except it's not a salary cut for the Lakers. Brewer makes more than Williams.

R. Johnson#3
02-22-2017, 09:44 AM
The Rockets really shot themselves in the foot here. Lou is good when his shot is falling but it will eventually stop. Unfortunately that won't stop him from shooting. Lou can single handedly keep a team in a game but more times than not he'll shoot you out of it. On top of that he doesn't know how to pass or play defence.

mightybosstone
02-22-2017, 09:51 AM
The Rockets really shot themselves in the foot here. Lou is good when his shot is falling but it will eventually stop. Unfortunately that won't stop him from shooting. Lou can single handedly keep a team in a game but more times than not he'll shoot you out of it. On top of that he doesn't know how to pass or play defence.
:laugh: What? They gave up a useless pick and their worst rotational player while saving cap room, and that's "shooting themselves in the foot?" Your logic here makes no sense. He's a million times better than Brewer.

R. Johnson#3
02-22-2017, 10:14 AM
:laugh: What? They gave up a useless pick and their worst rotational player while saving cap room, and that's "shooting themselves in the foot?" Your logic here makes no sense. He's a million times better than Brewer.

I would take the pick over Lou any day of the week. I know what I'm talking about having watched Lou on the Raps. You'll see though. He's a brutal chucker and doesn't know when to stop chucking. Like I said, when shots are falling you'll love him but when they stop you'll hate him because he literally does nothing else. Also if him and Harden are ever on the floor at the same time then there will be 0 perimeter defence.

When Lou hit FA he went to the Toronto media and said he wanted to stay. Masai didn't even give him a call. Lou is trash and you will see why.

shep33
02-22-2017, 10:25 AM
We were like a +12 in points when Lou was in the game for us this season. He and Nick have been our best players. We get so much worse with this trade, which is good.

Anyways the first helps. The Brewer throw in doesn't effect us. Who out there is in free agency this year? Nobody we can get anyway. So taking on the salary doesn't hurt us.

Hawkeye15
02-22-2017, 11:06 AM
good trade for both sides. Lakers got a 1st rounder for Lou (at this point, they need to rifle off any non-long term guard), and we know they are hurting for picks in the near future, this also might help them tank a bit. Houston gets a bolster to their bench for the playoffs.

ewing
02-22-2017, 11:15 AM
good trade for both sides. Lakers got a 1st rounder for Lou (at this point, they need to rifle off any non-long term guard), and we know they are hurting for picks in the near future, this also might help them tank a bit. Houston gets a bolster to their bench for the playoffs.

I know Lou Williams is a better player but does adding Lou Williams and subtracting a versatile 6'9 defender really make the Rockets better in the playoffs? IDK, my gut tell me no but maybe the Rockets have enough long versatile defenders to keep Mike from only playing guys under 6'5. i honestly haven't watched enough.

Young$avage
02-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Good move for both teams. Houston's offense will be deadly. Lakers get more picks and we've been good at picking players in that spot anyway. JC, Nance, Zu. I trust this move.

Scoots
02-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Let me say.... It is so ****ing humerous watching all the hypocrites beg for the tank and pray for the tank these past 2 years from the lakers to the knicks and so on down the list after just flat out destroying the sixers for it... This is year 3 from the laker tank already... Interesting how that works huh? What seems like 1 season quickly turns into what is now 3 and now the crowd that screamed from the tops of mountains about us are "happy" for the lakers trading LOU to further the tank :laugh:

:clap:

Those tables... How they turn.... Those rock throwers in those glass houses complaining about a few broken windows... :clap:

Not only that, but they denied they were tanking before now ... every team tanks at some point. Oh well.

rhino17
02-22-2017, 11:59 AM
I know Lou Williams is a better player but does adding Lou Williams and subtracting a versatile 6'9 defender really make the Rockets better in the playoffs? IDK, my gut tell me no but maybe the Rockets have enough long versatile defenders to keep Mike from only playing guys under 6'5. i honestly haven't watch enough.
Brewer is a very active defender, but he is not really a good defender. He is totally out of control most of the time. Any time he is in the game it is not a good thing, ideally he wouldn't play any minutes in the playoffs. I'm not worried about Lou shooting the rockets out of a game. He will be the 4th guard in an excellent guard rotation. He is a significant upgrade from Brewer and the rockets offense puts shooters in the best position to succeed. We also needed another ball handler (although not the biggest need on the team, it was a need)

Hawkeye15
02-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Brewer is a very active defender, but he is not really a good defender. He is totally out of control most of the time. Any time he is in the game it is not a good thing, ideally he wouldn't play any minutes in the playoffs. I'm not worried about Lou shooting the rockets out of a game. He will be the 4th guard in an excellent guard rotation. He is a significant upgrade from Brewer and the rockets offense puts shooters in the best position to succeed. We also needed another ball handler (although not the biggest need on the team, it was a need)

Long time Wolves fan. I mean, you can't possibly describe Brewer any better haha

mightybosstone
02-22-2017, 12:27 PM
I would take the pick over Lou any day of the week. I know what I'm talking about having watched Lou on the Raps. You'll see though. He's a brutal chucker and doesn't know when to stop chucking. Like I said, when shots are falling you'll love him but when they stop you'll hate him because he literally does nothing else. Also if him and Harden are ever on the floor at the same time then there will be 0 perimeter defence.

When Lou hit FA he went to the Toronto media and said he wanted to stay. Masai didn't even give him a call. Lou is trash and you will see why.

But you're acting as if the Rockets have to play him when he's ice cold. They don't. With Lou, Houston has arguably the deepest back court rotation in the NBA. If Lou can't hit the broad side of a barn, D'Antoni will just bench him and put in Beverley, Gordon or Harden. This move gives the Rockets a ton of flexibility.

Also, Lou is going to get more open looks in this offense than he's ever had in his career. And he's having a career season as a scorer and shooter. I see no downside here on paper. Even if it doesn't work out, who cares? That pick will be one of the five worst in the first round. And a late first rounder in the NBA is like the equivalent of a 4th round pick in the NFL.

That being said, I do think this is a good deal for both sides, and any potential negatives to the deal are essentially neutralized by the two teams' positions in the standings. For Houston, you could criticize giving up a first rounder, but that first rounder has almost no value to a team with the 4th best record in the league. For the Lakers, you could criticize taking on Brewer's contract, but cap room means almost nothing for a team tanking and hoping for a top pick.

Basically, it's a good deal for both sides no matter how you look at it.

mightybosstone
02-22-2017, 12:29 PM

:nod:

And I honestly don't think the Rockets perimeter defense is an issue. Between Beverley, Ariza and Dekker, they have some quality defenders there. And both Gordon and Harden have been competent defensively this season. If the Rockets have any issues defensively, it's on the interior and in terms of their rebounding.

R. Johnson#3
02-22-2017, 12:36 PM
But you're acting as if the Rockets have to play him when he's ice cold. They don't. With Lou, Houston has arguably the deepest back court rotation in the NBA. If Lou can't hit the broad side of a barn, D'Antoni will just bench him and put in Beverley, Gordon or Harden. This move gives the Rockets a ton of flexibility.

Also, Lou is going to bet more open looks in this offense than he's ever had in his career. And he's having a career season as a scorer and shooter. I see no downside here on paper. Even if it doesn't work out, who cares? That pick will be one of the five worst in the first round. And a late first rounder in the NBA is like the equivalent of a 4th round pick in the NFL.

That being said, I do think this is a good deal for both sides, and any potential negatives to the deal are essentially neutralized by the two teams' positions in the standings. For Houston, you could criticize giving up a first rounder, but that first rounder has almost no value to a team with the 4th best record in the league. For the Lakers, you could criticize taking on Brewer's contract, but cap room means almost nothing for a team tanking and hoping for a top pick.

Forgot about Beverley. Yeah I guess Lou will have to earn his minutes in that back court. For the record I'm not criticizing unloading Brewer at all. It was strictly just the Lou aspect. As long as Lou doesn't emerge as the 6th man option in Houston then they should be alright.

LA4life24/8
02-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Both teams got out of it what they wanted. Could the lakers done a little better? Maybe. But they actually got a deal done that makes us worse and gets us a pick. Rox get instant bench offense in lou will who is havibg a good year. His numbers prolly go down some going to hou but who knows in mike ds system. Rox dont really worry much about defense anyways so people saying lou will kills em on that side, doesnt matter lol. All in all a good trade for both sides.

LA4life24/8
02-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Forgot about Beverley. Yeah I guess Lou will have to earn his minutes in that back court. For the record I'm not criticizing unloading Brewer at all. It was strictly just the Lou aspect. As long as Lou doesn't emerge as the 6th man option in Houston then they should be alright.

You know lou was the 6th man of rhe year like 2 years ago right? And honestly could win it this year... hes pure offense off the bench hes a spark plug, many a times his hot shooting kept lakers in games they had no business being. I dont see why you're mad, they need all the extra fire power they can get to try n keep up w dubs and spurs

Hawkeye15
02-22-2017, 01:10 PM
You know lou was the 6th man of rhe year like 2 years ago right? And honestly could win it this year... hes pure offense off the bench hes a spark plug, many a times his hot shooting kept lakers in games they had no business being. I dont see why you're mad, they need all the extra fire power they can get to try n keep up w dubs and spurs

for a team that would win 25 games? No, but I get your point.

LA4life24/8
02-22-2017, 02:52 PM
for a team that would win 25 games? No, but I get your point.
Aha but hes no longer on a 25 win team lol. Yeaah that was why i only said could though, lakers are no where near relevant so unfortunately his stats just look empty on paper. But honestly who is gonna win it though? Hes gotta be up there in the voting no?

Hawkeye15
02-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Aha but hes no longer on a 25 win team lol. Yeaah that was why i only said could though, lakers are no where near relevant so unfortunately his stats just look empty on paper. But honestly who is gonna win it though? Hes gotta be up there in the voting no?

funny enough, it will probably be his new teammate who wins it..

LA4life24/8
02-22-2017, 03:38 PM
funny enough, it will probably be his new teammate who wins it..

Which one i dont follow rox close enough to know whos there main 6th man lol

mightybosstone
02-22-2017, 03:41 PM
Which one i dont follow rox close enough to know whos there main 6th man lol

Eric Gordon. He's averaging 17 a game for a team with the 4th best record in the league.

It's funny to me that both guys are arguably the top candidates for 6MOY. I'm curious to see how that plays out, but it should be a good way to drive competition on the roster.

LA4life24/8
02-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Eric Gordon. He's averaging 17 a game for a team with the 4th best record in the league.

It's funny to me that both guys are arguably the top candidates for 6MOY. I'm curious to see how that plays out, but it should be a good way to drive competition on the roster.

He doesnt start? Oh wow. Didnt realize. I thought harden started point snd gordon off ball. Fair enough, he's def having a solid year. But yeah they have so much offensive fire power, its crazy.

sagemania
02-24-2017, 05:03 AM
The firepower Houston has coming off the pine is scary. Just downright scary. The bench accounted for 79 of the 129 in New Orleans thanks to Lou Williams 27 and Eric Gordon's 19.Lou had 27 on 9-16 shooting and 7-11 shooting 3pt line in only 25 minutes.

When you can bring the best two 6th man of the year candidates off the bench along with Clint Capela, Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell you are loaded.

Raidaz4Life
02-24-2017, 08:38 AM
yeah Houston got a steal in that trade.

Scoots
02-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Also, Lou is going to get more open looks in this offense than he's ever had in his career. And he's having a career season as a scorer and shooter. I see no downside here on paper. Even if it doesn't work out, who cares? That pick will be one of the five worst in the first round. And a late first rounder in the NBA is like the equivalent of a 4th round pick in the NFL.

The Rockets back court depth is genuinely scary now. I think the Warriors guards are a little better in the top 2 each team (Harden/Gordon vs Curry/Thompson), the other guards with Williams/Beverley vs Livingston/Clark/McCaw/Weber and sometimes Iguodala is close too. Both teams have size/speed/shooting and can match up well on offense with the Warriors better on D but the Rockets better on O.

What other team's backcourts compare? The Cavs certainly with Irving/Korver/Smith/Shump and soon to add Williams.

NFLAccess
02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
This trade is looking great after last night. Lets go Rockets

LA4life24/8
02-24-2017, 12:17 PM
And people were saying lou will wasnt worth a late 1st 🤔🤔🤔 yeaaaaah okay.... dude is gonna thrive in rox system.

Leftcoast_yg
02-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Lakers are not trying to tank. Our young guys are inconsistent or think too much when they are on the floor which result in blown leads and droughts. We're not sitting our young guys for a season to move up on drafts get your facts straight you bums.

Omg rox fans loving Lou after last night.