PDA

View Full Version : How to make NBA All Star Weekend exciting again

Tg11
02-19-2017, 01:56 PM
1- Bringing back the Shooting Stars competition with teams of an NBA player who plays for a certain team, WNBA player who plays for the WNBA equivalent of thst NBA team and NBA legend who played for the team they made their career in like example: Team Los Angeles, Team New York, etc.

2- Dunk Contest taking away props but using teammates for only one of your dunks

IndyRealist
02-19-2017, 03:02 PM
3) HORSE. The year they did it was great.

rhino17
02-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Shooting stars was terrible, glad it is gone

I thought props were actually used well by DeAndre, that is the right way to do it, although I generally agree that less props are better. The DJ Khaled dunk was by far the best of the night for me

I thought that was the best Saturday night until the Dunk contest which was terrible. They gotta get better players doing it

mike_noodles
02-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Stop allowing TNT to ruin it. Get the stars involved in more than just the game. Stop making it into some low budget, Mickey Mouse, birthday party type of event. Negotiate in the CBA that all players who are invited to participate in an event must do so at least once in their career, ie. First time asked you must participate, then you EARN the right of refusal. One of the big reasons for popularity in the 80's and 90's was because the stars came out on Saturday with more than just pom poms and ugly suits.

DanG
02-19-2017, 03:51 PM
1) We need more stars in the 3PT and dunk contest.

2) 1 on 1 - I know... "injury risk", but honestly the risk is much higher in the All-Star and Rising Stars game. Of course I don't expect LeBron to come and play and run around like crazy. I think 1 on 1 between NBA players is really safe especially if it's in the all-star weekend just for fun.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Have a Legends game.

Can't be playing those 65 year olds but I'd still pay to watch Kobe and Jordan go at it. Trying not to include coaches, most recently retired and most broadcasters, here's what I thought about as a lineup off the top of my head. I'm sure other people can do a better job spreading the talent around to include players from the other teams in the league.

West

C - Shaq (Lakers), Hakeem (Rockets)
PF - Garnett (Wolves), Karl (Jazz)
SF - Clyde (Blazers), Worthy (Lakers)
SG - Kobe (Lakers), Allen (Sonics)
PG - Nash (Suns), Payton (Sonics)

East

C - Alonzo (Heat), Mutombo (76ers)
PF - Barkley (76ers), Rashed (Pistons)
SF - Pippen (Bulls), Hill (Pistons)
SG - Jordan (Bulls), McGrady (Magic)
PG - Iverson (76ers), Billups (Pistons)

KnicksorBust
02-19-2017, 04:18 PM

I like HORSE.

Shooting Stars was cool imo. 3pt contest is getting stale imo. Cool finish this year bc of the tie but I fast forward through basically the whole event. They did a great job freshening up the skills challenge though. Guards vs Bigs is fun.

Dunk contest is tough bc it seems like people are out of fresh ideas. It was like I am gonna jump over 1, now 2, now 3 people. And they kept missing.

warfelg
02-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Do away with the Celebrity game. Give the NBDL ASG that time slot.

Street dunkers VS NBA dunkers.

Do away with the skills comp...give me something more flashy than a layup, a few dribbles and a pass with a shot.

Sadds The Gr8
02-19-2017, 06:06 PM
shooting stars was trash.

They should add a 1v1 tournament. just have little 4 man tournament, winner takes ball, game up to 7 with 2 pointers (3pt line). Would be awesome seeing guys like Harden, Kyrie, Steph, Wall, KD compete in that.

Sadds The Gr8
02-19-2017, 06:07 PM

was it? IIRC it was just guys taking bank shots from 3 and very basic kinds of shots. nothing extraordinary...

IndyRealist
02-19-2017, 06:12 PM
was it? IIRC it was just guys taking bank shots from 3 and very basic kinds of shots. nothing extraordinary...

Think they did it twice. We must be thinking of different years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzkZ409gX-Q

And it was OUTSIDE!

ewing
02-19-2017, 06:17 PM
It was never exciting. Some years have cool moments but generally all star weekend has always sucked

Sadds The Gr8
02-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Think they did it twice. We must be thinking of different years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzkZ409gX-Q

And it was OUTSIDE!

yea this was the one I saw. Nothing really cool there for me. The shot from the crowd was pretty good, but nothing there got me excited.

Sadds The Gr8
02-19-2017, 06:27 PM
It was never exciting. Some years have cool moments but generally all star weekend has always sucked

last year every event was awesome

Giannis94
02-19-2017, 07:04 PM
maybe a 1 on 1 for like 4 minutes or something? like 4-5 rounds?

LA4life24/8
02-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Do away with the Celebrity game. Give the NBDL ASG that time slot.

Street dunkers VS NBA dunkers.

Do away with the skills comp...give me something more flashy than a layup, a few dribbles and a pass with a shot.

Street dunkers vs nba dunkers. Been sayin this for years now. No nba player wants to get shown by someone off the street, i think itd really up the competitive level.

warfelg
02-19-2017, 08:40 PM

That's because we put too much pressure on the weekend.

warfelg
02-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Street dunkers vs nba dunkers. Been sayin this for years now. No nba player wants to get shown by someone off the street, i think itd really up the competitive level.

Would really push it.

ewing
02-19-2017, 08:57 PM
last year every event was awesome

Didn't care for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
02-19-2017, 08:59 PM
That's because we put too much pressure on the weekend.

I don't like all star games. It's an exhibition where the guys don't try. Ocassionally you will have something cool like Magic's farewell allstar game but I think it's usually pretty boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archdevil84
02-19-2017, 09:26 PM
why does it take over half an our for this game to start? skip al the songs, intro's and stuff and just start already