PDA

View Full Version : Myths

ewing
02-17-2017, 01:07 AM
lets use our collective knowledge to solve NBA myths.

I'll start. I just heard Kevin McHale say that Bill Walton is like 7'3 even though he was listed as 6'11. How tall is he?

europagnpilgrim
02-17-2017, 01:29 AM
His wingspan probably placed him right there at 7'3'', if I had to just take a educated guess

ewing
02-17-2017, 01:41 AM
His wingspan probably placed him right there at 7'3'', if I had to just take a educated guess

he had long arms but that doesn't solve anything.

tredigs
02-17-2017, 01:45 AM
lets use our collective knowledge to solve NBA myths.

I'll start. I just heard Kevin McHale say that Bill Walton is like 7'3 even though he was listed as 6'11. How tall is he?

Just viewed too many pages of a thread on the subject after reading this (heard it before but never cared). He's around 7' give or take an inch.

"Live by the 3, die by the 3". I've read studies and seen the stats showing no higher predictor of success than a team being elite from 3. Just looking at this years top 5 in 3pt%, they are San Antonio, Cleveland, Golden State, the Clippers and the Wizards. IE 2 seed, 1 seed, 1 seed, 4 seed, 3 seed. Only non playoff team in the top 12 is the Bucks (9 seed 1 game back, and a better point differential than the 5-8 seed in the east). All contenders rely on the 3 heavily.

ewing
02-17-2017, 01:50 AM
Just viewed too many pages of a thread on the subject after reading this (heard it before but never cared). He's around 7' give or take an inch.

"Live by the 3, die by the 3". I've read studies and seen the stats showing no higher predictor of success than a team being elite from 3. Just looking at this years top 5 in 3pt%, they are San Antonio, Cleveland, Golden State, the Clippers and the Wizards. IE 2 seed, 1 seed, 1 seed, 4 seed, 3 seed. Only non playoff team in the top 12 is the Bucks (9 seed 1 game back, and a better point differential than the 5-8 seed in the east). All contenders rely on the 3 heavily.

Its huge to shoot the 3 but if you "live by" anything when you to lose not doing that thing is likely why you will lost. People with a basis often use dumb arguments. I think live by die by is one of those.

tredigs
02-17-2017, 02:00 AM
Its huge to shoot the 3 but if you "live by" anything when you to lose not doing that thing is likely why you will lost

Concerning the 3, suffice to say it has been underutilized over the past few decades. Teams now are starting to get it, and it's changing the way the game is played. Houston broke the record for most 3pt/game last season, and they are going to SHATTER that mark this season. Actually 5+ teams are going to break that mark. Golden State last among them. Two 1 seeds, a 2 seed, a 3 seed and hilariously, the worst team in the league (taking the 3's but bottom 5 in %, the Nets manage to fail even here).

Nobody "lives by" anything, but the Rockets are doing the closest showcase yet. Projected to be a 45 win 7 seed by the Sporstbooks in Vegas/worldwide, they're on pace for 57 wins and the 3 seed.

nastynice
02-17-2017, 02:12 AM
myth: curry would not be good in the 90's

If curry had a big that demanded a double team oh. my. god. This boy would be ridiculous.

Shooting how he does off the dribble, I think he'd basically be unstoppable at times.

ewing
02-17-2017, 02:14 AM
Concerning the 3, suffice to say it has been underutilized over the past few decades. Teams now are starting to get it, and it's changing the way the game is played. Houston broke the record for most 3pt/game last season, and they are going to SHATTER that mark this season. Actually 5+ teams are going to break that mark. Golden State last among them. Two 1 seeds, a 2 seed, a 3 seed and hilariously, the worst team in the league (taking the 3's but bottom 5 in %, the Nets manage to fail even here).

Nobody "lives by" anything, but the Rockets are doing the closest showcase yet. Projected to be a 45 win 7 seed by the Sporstbooks in Vegas/worldwide, they're on pace for 57 wins and the 3 seed.

and when Houston has trouble finding those looks and shoot poorly from 3 they will lose. Its a BS argument not worth entertaining. they shouldn't stop shooting them but they will die when they miss them

nastynice
02-17-2017, 02:15 AM
myth: players are soft now and buddy buddy, back in the 90's they hated each other.

I'm watching the magic rockets finals, players are constantly helping up opposing team players off the floor. Superstars are laughing with each other. I don't see this supposed hatred and toughness everyone's talking about

tredigs
02-17-2017, 02:21 AM
and when Houston has trouble finding those looks and shoot poorly from 3 they will lose. Its a BS argument not worth entertaining. they shouldn't stop shooting them but they will die when they miss them

They'll "die" when they face a better team. Just as another more interior orientated team may "die" when they face a better team/scheme. Here's hoping to see the projected Houston/Memphis 1st round matchup (granted, the seeding is inverted on prior expectations... hmm).

Quinnsanity
02-17-2017, 02:38 AM
myth: players are soft now and buddy buddy, back in the 90's they hated each other.

I'm watching the magic rockets finals, players are constantly helping up opposing team players off the floor. Superstars are laughing with each other. I don't see this supposed hatred and toughness everyone's talking about

I feel like the rise of Stephen Curry has also led to the rise of hatred again in the NBA. LeBron and Chris Paul ****ing despise Curry. KD and Westbrook's feud was born out of Curry being good enough to lure KD. Nobody gives a **** about Draymond Green if he's on like the Magic, and everyone hates Draymond. Tensions are rising again in the NBA and I think it's largely because of Steph.

tredigs
02-17-2017, 02:45 AM
I feel like the rise of Stephen Curry has also led to the rise of hatred again in the NBA. LeBron and Chris Paul ****ing despise Curry. KD and Westbrook's feud was born out of Curry being good enough to lure KD. Nobody gives a **** about Draymond Green if he's on like the Magic, and everyone hates Draymond. Tensions are rising again in the NBA and I think it's largely because of Steph.

Have to look beyond the NBA here as well. CP3, LBJ, Westbrook, even KD and Draymond. They're all Nike (arguably more powerful/influential than the NBA). Curry went with the unbeaten path with Under-Armour. That bond is stronger than a teams bond in many instances.

NBA elite don't hate Draymond, just the outside fans. Curry's the renegade. And he rose to heights last year that surpassed anything them or Nike could have imagined. It shook the sports world. They hate him, indeed.

ewing
02-17-2017, 02:54 AM
They'll "die" when they face a better team. Just as another more interior orientated team may "die" when they face a better team/scheme. Here's hoping to see the projected Houston/Memphis 1st round matchup (granted, the seeding is inverted on prior expectations... hmm).

I take Houston in that series all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tredigs
02-17-2017, 02:59 AM
I take Houston in that series all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never quite have figured you out Ewing. Yup agreed though. They're going to win and it won't take 7. They'll use the GS tactic with Tony Allen and just ignore him offensively until he misses enough shots/accrues enough fouls to be useless. Insert Harden dominance.

Scoots
02-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Magic and Bird were good friends after the first few years. Watch Magic's last all star game and you'll see that a lot of those guys are friends.

Scoots
02-17-2017, 09:01 AM
"Big" men are not really big in size so much as big in playing style. KD is 7' tall but plays like a SG. Chuck was 6'4" but played like a PF. Those two are obvious outliers, but there are many other examples.

archdevil84
02-17-2017, 09:39 AM
"Big" men are not really big in size so much as big in playing style. KD is 7' tall but plays like a SG. Chuck was 6'4" but played like a PF. Those two are obvious outliers, but there are many other examples.

chris bosh is like 7'1 but he rarely posted up or played near the basket. much preffered to shoot mid range and threes all day. defensively he did carry the center role most of the time tho

Hawkeye15
02-17-2017, 10:52 AM
myth: curry would not be good in the 90's

If curry had a big that demanded a double team oh. my. god. This boy would be ridiculous.

Shooting how he does off the dribble, I think he'd basically be unstoppable at times.

except Curry would have just been held in the 90's. Hand check would have hurt him, unless he gained some weight. Think Mark Price. The dude would be absolutely better today with the spacing/ability not to touch him. Or hell, even Chris Jackson.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2017, 10:52 AM
myth: Defense was better in the 80-90's than today

Hawkeye15
02-17-2017, 10:53 AM

I mean, you are born a "man", or you are born to shy from contact. Size doesn't determine that at all

ewing
02-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Did Dennis Rodman talk dirty to and keep slapping Karl Malone's *** during the Jazz/Bulls finals?

Hawk says Yes!

Hawkeye15
02-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Did Dennis Rodman talk dirty to and keep slapping Karl Malone's *** during the Jazz/Bulls finals?

Hawk says Yes!

he explained to Karl what "the shocker" was. Karl, in the third person, told him no thanks

ewing
02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
he explained to Karl what "the shocker" was. Karl, in the third person, told him no thanks

:laugh: