PDA

View Full Version : Tell us the worst trade/deal your team ever made.

lamzoka
02-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Knicks traded for:
Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis and a 2007 1st round draft pick (Wilson Chandler)

Bulls received: Jermaine Jackson, Mike Sweetney and Tim Thomas, a 2006 1st round draft pick (LaMarcus Aldridge), a 2007 1st round draft pick (Joakim Noah), a 2007 2nd rd pick (Kyrylo Fesenko) and a 2009 2nd rd pick (Jon Brockman).

YAALREADYKNO
02-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Mavs

not resigning Steve Nash for Erick Dampier

Hawkeye15
02-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Ray Allen for Starbury on draft night.

mightybosstone
02-14-2017, 02:38 PM
I'm conflicted on the deal that everyone usually suggests is the worst Rockets trade of all time. In 1982, they went into full rebuilding mode and dealt Moses Malone, who had won two MVPs for Houston—including the prior 81-82 season—and was just a year removed from bringing Houston to its first every Finals appearance in 81. And all they got in return was Caldwell Jones and a 1st that turned into Rodney McCray.

Now that sounds especially bad on paper, especially when you consider that Moses won a title with Philly the next year. And I can't imagine a scenario today where a player who went to the finals two years ago and is the reigning MVP gets traded. HOWEVER, all that being said, if Moses doesn't get dealt, then the Rockets would never have been bad enough to draft Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon. So, ironically, dealing the best player in the league somehow led to them winning back-to-back championships more than a decade later.

The trade from recent memory that hurts the most (as I wasn't alive in 1982) was from the 1998 draft. On draft night, the Rockets dealt Jason Collins, Brandon Armstrong and Richard Jefferson for Eddie Griffin (RIP), who ended up being a huge bust. To top it all off, they passed on drafting a Houston kid that everyone thought was a lock to stay in Houston in Rashard Lewis. They could have had Rashard Lewis and Richard Jefferson in their primes to build around.

Now, you could argue that this trade ultimately led to the Yao Ming/Tracy McGrady era, which I'm still quite fond of. But I still call that a massive mistake.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Dirk and Garrity for Robert "Tractor" Traylor takes the cake. Even though the Mavs seemed to be the only team that scouted Dirk. Ray Allen for "Washed up Mitten" and "the Cowboy" was another doozy thanks to George Karl. Tobias for Redick rental was another head scratcher. Old regime wanted 8th seed playoffs or else.

Vinylman
02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Dirk and Garrity for Robert "Tractor" Traylor takes the cake. Ray Allen for "Washed up Mitten" and "the Cowboy" was another doozy thanks to George Karl. Tobias for Redick rental was another head scratcher. Old regime wanted 8th seed playoffs or else.

really? I would think the list starts and stops with KAJ

I know you really didn't have a choice but you go from a championship team to nothing

Hawkeye15
02-14-2017, 02:44 PM
really? I would think the list starts and stops with KAJ

I know you really didn't have a choice but you go from a championship team to nothing

does it count if it was a request though?

Vinylman
02-14-2017, 02:46 PM
does it count if it was a request though?

I hear ya... and knew that would be the response but simply looking at it at face value it sucked for the bucks

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Well if you go that route yeah. Kareem takes the cake. But ya could say Bucks had DR J as well. But he decided to go to ABA instead. Bucks got cash settlement out of that deal later on.

ewing
02-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Knicks traded for:

Bulls received: Jermaine Jackson, Mike Sweetney and Tim Thomas, a 2006 1st round draft pick (LaMarcus Aldridge), a 2007 1st round draft pick (Joakim Noah), a 2007 2nd rd pick (Kyrylo Fesenko) and a 2009 2nd rd pick (Jon Brockman).

that was a good deal. Curry was coming off a season where he had to sit 1/2 the year due to a heart abnormality and was refusing take heart tests that the Bulls were requiring. Given the circumstances I think Isiah did a super job using that info to drive the price down

LOb0
02-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Lol this is gonna be filled with Knicks fans.

LOb0
02-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Knicks traded for:

Then the Bulls traded that first round pick for Tyrus Thomas. One of the worst Bulls trades in history.

Giannis94
02-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Lol this is gonna be filled with Knicks fans.
And Nets fans (unless they all went somewhere else until 2021?)

Vinylman
02-14-2017, 02:57 PM
worse nets deal.... traded korver on draft night for a copy machine

With none of their preferred*choices on the board, the Nets brass selected Creighton forward Kyle Korver with the 51st pick — and immediately sold his draft rights to the Sixers for $125,000. That covered summer league. With the leftover cash, the Nets bought a new copy machine.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2017, 03:01 PM
I hear ya... and knew that would be the response but simply looking at it at face value it sucked for the bucks

oh god yeah.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2017, 03:03 PM

With none of their preferred*choices on the board, the Nets brass selected Creighton forward Kyle Korver with the 51st pick — and immediately sold his draft rights to the Sixers for $125,000. That covered summer league. With the leftover cash, the Nets bought a new copy machine.

hahaha, reminds me of Semi-Pro

"Now don't get mad, but I traded the washing machine for him"

Vinylman
02-14-2017, 03:04 PM
St. Louis Hawks / Atlanta Hawks

traded bill Russell on draft night to the Celtics for cliff hagan and ed macauley

Vinylman
02-14-2017, 03:13 PM
another bad nets deal was when they had to trade/sell Dr. J to philly

the knicks ****ed them by asking for a $4.8 million invasion fee so the nets offered Dr. J as compensation

WHICH THE KNICKS turned down (yes ... Dolan wasn't the only idiot in NY) and then the Nets ended up selling Dr. J to philly for $3 million

R. Johnson#3
02-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Aside from the obvious Vince trade there's.....

Paying Michael Stewart money to play basketball.

Bargnani 1st overall.

Mark Jackson and Muggsy Bogues for Chris Childs.

kingsdelez24
02-14-2017, 03:43 PM
In hindsight, the C-Webb trade in 05 for spare parts and the dead weight contract of Kenny Thomas

He was a shell of himself on one leg, but still was able to put up 20 and 10 with 4 assists on any given night that year, we had nobody down low to bang with JEROME JAMES, who killed us in the playoffs of all people. Also had us stuck with Kenny Thomas for years doing nothing.

valade16
02-14-2017, 03:55 PM
For Portland it has to be drafting Moses Malone in the 1976 ABA dispersal draft and then trading him to Buffalo for a 1978 1st round pick that turned into Rick Robey.

Yes the Blazers already had Bill Walton but he got hurt the very next season and if we'd had Moses as depth he could have stepped right in and prolonged the title window.

One of the best for the Blazers (and I don't know if this is the worst for Chicago) was us trading Tyrus Thomas for LaMarcus Aldridge. I don't even know if anything else was included in the deal, it was essentially Chicago trading the 2nd pick for the 4th lol.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2017, 04:10 PM
For Portland it has to be drafting Moses Malone in the 1976 ABA dispersal draft and then trading him to Buffalo for a 1978 1st round pick that turned into Rick Robey.

Yes the Blazers already had Bill Walton but he got hurt the very next season and if we'd had Moses as depth he could have stepped right in and prolonged the title window.

One of the best for the Blazers (and I don't know if this is the worst for Chicago) was us trading Tyrus Thomas for LaMarcus Aldridge. I don't even know if anything else was included in the deal, it was essentially Chicago trading the 2nd pick for the 4th lol.

you had another draft night steal, Foye for Roy. Even if his career didn't last very long, he was clearly a rip off trade wise

Sactown
02-14-2017, 04:19 PM
In hindsight, the C-Webb trade in 05 for spare parts and the dead weight contract of Kenny Thomas

He was a shell of himself on one leg, but still was able to put up 20 and 10 with 4 assists on any given night that year, we had nobody down low to bang with JEROME JAMES, who killed us in the playoffs of all people. Also had us stuck with Kenny Thomas for years doing nothing.

Don't forget the J.J Jackson trade, or the Philly trade, that combined make me want to shoot myself this season

JOSKOMANG4
02-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Nets trading an unprotected 1st rd pick to Portland for Gerald Wallace. That pick turned out to be Damian Lillard ugh.

Clippers fall into that "damn that sucks."

in 2010, Clippers traded then-starting point guard Baron Davis and the teams 2011 first-round pick to the Cavaliers for guard Mo Williams and forward Jamario Moon. THat 1st rd pick became the 1st overall pick; Kyrie Irving.

JAZZNC
02-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Well, this is mostly hindsight but we traded arguably the best PG in the NBA at the time (I know it is certainly arguable he was not) to the Nets for Favors, what ended up being Kanter, and half of Trey Burke and Devin Harris's unless ***. It's probably the reason I will never like Favors because I knew he'd never amount to the "star" player everyone touted him to be and I felt like he was the main piece as he was the only "known" commodity. I dunno, I know we got some assets but we totally botched them getting Kanter who isn't even on the team and using the other pick to trade up and take Burke one spot ahead of McCollum....

I know DWill hasn't done squat since we traded him but I just felt like we traded the best player we'd had since Malone/Stockton for what amounts to nothing at this point. Still frustrates me thinking about it.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Well, this is mostly hindsight but we traded arguably the best PG in the NBA at the time (I know it is certainly arguable he was not) to the Nets for Favors, what ended up being Kanter, and half of Trey Burke and Devin Harris's unless ***. It's probably the reason I will never like Favors because I knew he'd never amount to the "star" player everyone touted him to be and I felt like he was the main piece as he was the only "known" commodity. I dunno, I know we got some assets but we totally botched them getting Kanter who isn't even on the team and using the other pick to trade up and take Burke one spot ahead of McCollum....

I know DWill hasn't done squat since we traded him but I just felt like we traded the best player we'd had since Malone/Stockton for what amounts to nothing at this point. Still frustrates me thinking about it.

You didn't trade CP3..

what the hell happened to DWill anyways haha

JAZZNC
02-14-2017, 05:39 PM
You didn't trade CP3..

what the hell happened to DWill anyways haha

I said arguably haha, you gotta sell high!

He didn't have Sloan coaching him and injuries didn't allow him to utilize that ridiculous crossover anymore. And I'm sure the injuries cost him some confidence as well.

JLynn943
02-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Don't forget the J.J Jackson trade, or the Philly trade, that combined make me want to shoot myself this season

Did the first round pick in the JJ Hickson trade ever even go through yet, or is that the one the Bulls have the rights to now?

The Webber trade was bad, but we did also trade Isaiah Thomas for a trade exception that we let expire (so, in essence, for nothing at all). That's a brutal one.

TheMightyHumph
02-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Just too, too, too many bad deals that the Nets made.

I don't consider Julius to Philly a trade, it was a survival tactic. Honestly, if Nets were merging with the NBA without Julius, they shouldn't have been part of the merger.

Mookie for Rumeal ranks up there.

But the absolute worst deal was the trade for PG/GM Deron Williams. The Nets crumbling totally apart and being in the shape they're in now was because of that deal.

I also did not like when they traded for Vince Carter.

kingsdelez24
02-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Just too, too, too many bad deals that the Nets made.

I don't consider Julius to Philly a trade, it was a survival tactic. Honestly, if Nets were merging with the NBA without Julius, they shouldn't have been part of the merger.

Mookie for Rumeal ranks up there.

But the absolute worst deal was the trade for PG/GM Deron Williams. The Nets crumbling totally apart and being in the shape they're in now was because of that deal.

I also did not like when they traded for Vince Carter.

Yeah, can't believe they wasted the golden prime years of Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, and Alonz9 Mourning post kidney transplant (and a draft pick that amounted to Joey Graham)

Are you serious??

IndyRealist
02-14-2017, 11:57 PM
Trading what would end up being the #2 pick to Portland for Tom Owens. In the 1984 draft. Michael Jordan went #3.

Trading Alex English and a pick for a past his prime George McGinnis. English was an all star 8 straight times following that trade.

Trading draft rights to Kawhi Leonard for George Hill. You all know how that turned out.

Trading George Hill for Jeff Teague. George Hill is currently having a career year.

Pacers make a lot of bad trades.

IndyRealist
02-14-2017, 11:58 PM

Definitely a good one.

Jeffy25
02-15-2017, 12:07 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a favorite team to mention.

But I live closest to the Grizzles, and they traded Steve Francis after drafting him second overall.

Sactown
02-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Did the first round pick in the JJ Hickson trade ever even go through yet, or is that the one the Bulls have the rights to now?

The Webber trade was bad, but we did also trade Isaiah Thomas for a trade exception that we let expire (so, in essence, for nothing at all). That's a brutal one.

That's the one Chicago has, Cleveland traded it to Chicago, it turns into a second if we don't fall outside of the top ten this year I believe. The Webber one was an end of an era, it was a bad trade but we had to blow it up at some point.

I only wish we decided to trade Isaiah earlier, I think Boston does a good job hiding his defensive deficencies , and also allows him to be the number one option on offense. Two things that didn't happen in Sacramento.

mrblisterdundee
02-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Portland drafted Moses Malone in the ABA dispersal draft, then traded him for a future first-round draft pick (Keith Herron) and $232,000.

TrueFan420
02-15-2017, 01:05 AM
Warriors-

Worst:

For a team that dealt Wilt "the stilt" Chamberlan for nothing I mean Connie Dierking, Paul Neumann, Lee Shaffer and cash that's arguably the second worst trade.

Worst ever is Robert Parish and Kevin McHale to Boston for J.B. Carroll and Rickey Brown.

Those were before my time tho... I got to live with...

Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens.

Webber for Gugliotta is close. We got 3 first and squander them all.

Best... for me...

Baron Davis for speedy and dale davis.

j-bay
02-15-2017, 01:24 AM
Warriors-

Worst:

For a team that dealt Wilt "the stilt" Chamberlan for nothing I mean Connie Dierking, Paul Neumann, Lee Shaffer and cash that's arguably the second worst trade.

Worst ever is Robert Parish and Kevin McHale to Boston for J.B. Carroll and Rickey Brown.

Best... for me...

Speaking of which....

Wizards

Webber for Richmond.

Chris Webber got into a lot of legal trouble in Washington. So they traded for a better character in Richmond. Problem was Richmond was almost done. This would set the franchise back 7 years.

TheMightyHumph
02-15-2017, 02:20 AM
Yeah, can't believe they wasted the golden prime years of Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, and Alonz9 Mourning post kidney transplant (and a draft pick that amounted to Joey Graham)

Are you serious??

Trading for Vince killed Nets hope of rebuilding, and damned them to mediocrity, at best, for the time he was a Net.

He gave Kidd migraines.

And we had to trade Ryan Anderson to get rid of him.

More-Than-Most
02-15-2017, 02:23 AM
http://hoopshabit.com/2013/04/24/philadelphia-76ers-5-worst-trades-in-franchise-history/

Beat that... FML.

ThomasTomasz
02-15-2017, 02:28 AM
Chris Webber being dealt by the Wizards. Losing a franchise cornerstone for an aging Mitch Richmond was a terrible deal.

ewing
02-15-2017, 03:59 AM
Remember when the Griz traded Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol, the cap space that became Zach Randolph, and Darell Authur (i think). The league should have stepped in.

mightybosstone
02-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Remember when the Griz traded Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol, the cap space that became Zach Randolph, and Darell Authur (i think). The league should have stepped in.

It's crazy to think how bad everyone thought that trade was at the time. Because that deal essentially set the foundation for what the Grizzlies would become over the next decade. I can't think of another trade in recent memory where the public opinion of the deal at the time of the trade and the actual value of the trade ended up being further apart.

ewing
02-15-2017, 09:01 AM
It's crazy to think how bad everyone thought that trade was at the time. Because that deal essentially set the foundation for what the Grizzlies would become over the next decade. I can't think of another trade in recent memory where the public opinion of the deal at the time of the trade and the actual value of the trade ended up being further apart.

Yeah, it was clearly a deal that needed to play out over time. Sports forum posters often have a bang wagon mentality with there opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinylman
02-15-2017, 09:43 AM

the deal had nothing to do with player value and everything to do with the Grizzlies needing to shed money... their ***** were broke and the Kwame expiring was a HUGE deal to them...

He was really the only large expiring that year... and the rumors were that the Lakers were going to trade him for Ben Wallace and that would then put Memphis **** out of luck...

those deals will never happen again because of revenue sharing / national tv deals / and the focus by the league on owners having very deep pockets

king4day
02-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Suns trade Kurt Thomas' contract & 2 1's to Seattle for cap space (basically)

Suns trade IT to Boston for Thornton and the Cavs' first while spinning the Lakers pick for Brandon Knight.

None of that has worked out...

king4day
02-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Agreed. I was really po'ed that this this trade was allowed at the time, but now, teams do it a lot. That trade sort of set the foundation for future cap clearing, pick collecting, 'uneven' trades. So I understand it more now.
And yes, the Griz seriously made out in the long run. Lakers in the short term.

zn23
02-15-2017, 02:29 PM
2004, Raptors give VC away for eric williams, aaron williams and Zo (who wouldnt play) and two middling first round picks. One which was Joey Graham.

ewing
02-15-2017, 02:33 PM
2004, Raptors give VC away for eric williams, aaron williams and Zo (who wouldnt play) and two middling first round picks. One which was Joey Graham.

Zo never even left the states

kingsdelez24
02-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Zo never even left the states

Scroll up a bit to see a nets fan who thinks THIS was among one of THE NETS worst trades... smh

kingsdelez24
02-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Are you serious??

Trading for Vince killed Nets hope of rebuilding, and damned them to mediocrity, at best, for the time he was a Net.

He gave Kidd migraines.

And we had to trade Ryan Anderson to get rid of him.

The nets had no reason to rebuild at the time. They underperformed to **** with RJ, VC, and Kidd, but a lot of that is to do with Nenad Krstic tearing his ACL turning him from a center woth All star potential to a relative afterthought

ellington19
02-15-2017, 08:03 PM
As a Wolves fan, trading a prime Al Jefferson still haunts me.

Granted he needed to be moved as a Jefferson-Love front court was never going to work, but we could have gotten a strong package in return for a 25 year old PF with arguably the best post offense repertoire in the league.

Out: Al Jefferson

In: Kosta Koufus (stayed for a season, played 39 games averaging 2 & 2)
Protected 1st round Pick (we traded for Chase Budinger, who stayed for an injury-riddled three seasons)
Protected 1st round Pick (traded for 10 games from a 37 year old Brad Miller, Chandler Parsons - who we on-traded for cash, and Nikola Mirotic - who we on traded for pick 43).

The Kahn period was a right laugh.

MygirlhatesCod
02-15-2017, 08:33 PM
I don't know if it classifies as a deal but the drafting of Todd fuller ahead of Kobe to me ranks as one of the worst moves by the Warriors.

Cracka2HI!
02-15-2017, 08:50 PM
It was actually a good trade at the time but the Clippers made a trade that shows why you never trade an unprotected pick. They traded Baron Davis and a 1st for Mo Williams. Baron was toast and to just to be able to move him and only add a 1st was a good deal. To get Mo Williams made me feel really good about it. I think the Clippers pick had the 9th or 10th best chance to win the lottery...but it did. Kyrie Irving.

Bad as that trade was it's probably a moot point. I think the Clippers still would have traded for CP3 and Kyrie probably would have been in that deal. The Clippers probably wouldn't have had to trade Eric Gordon, Aminu and Minny's pick in that deal. Gordon would have been gone anyway due to contract demands and the pick became Austin Rivers anyway lol. Maybe the team would still have Aminu. Not sure how big of an upgrade that would be.

ewing
02-15-2017, 11:23 PM
As a Wolves fan, trading a prime Al Jefferson still haunts me.

Granted he needed to be moved as a Jefferson-Love front court was never going to work, but we could have gotten a strong package in return for a 25 year old PF with arguably the best post offense repertoire in the league.

Out: Al Jefferson

In: Kosta Koufus (stayed for a season, played 39 games averaging 2 & 2)
Protected 1st round Pick (we traded for Chase Budinger, who stayed for an injury-riddled three seasons)
Protected 1st round Pick (traded for 10 games from a 37 year old Brad Miller, Chandler Parsons - who we on-traded for cash, and Nikola Mirotic - who we on traded for pick 43).

The Kahn period was a right laugh.

that trade is bad b/c of what did with it and injuries. Hardly Khan's worst move.

aussie
02-16-2017, 08:14 AM
Picking Austin Rivers in the 2012 draft

Scoots
02-16-2017, 12:20 PM
I don't think anybody can beat the Warriors. They traded Wilt Chamberlain for essentially nothing. They traded Robert Parish and Kevin McHale for Joe Barry Carroll ... this 2 years after they passed on Larry Bird in the draft.

TheMightyHumph
02-16-2017, 01:17 PM
The nets had no reason to rebuild at the time. They underperformed to **** with RJ, VC, and Kidd, but a lot of that is to do with Nenad Krstic tearing his ACL turning him from a center woth All star potential to a relative afterthought

No reason to rebuild? They got rid of everybody but Kidd and Jefferson. Kidd got hurt and Nets were on the verge of having a very bad season while having a crapload of draft picks.

Also, Vince Carter is a dog that wouldn't run the floor on a team with Jason Kidd.

Chronz
02-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Yeah Clippers have rarely made such catastrophic moves simply because we rarely swung for the fences, rarely cared about winning enough to make a big gamble. I mean losing out on Kyrie is our worst based on circumstantial **** that could easily change if we never made the deal. Its not like we are guaranteed Kyrie if we keep our pick nor is it guaranteed that Cavs take it with protection given the owed picks we had. Either way, its not a bad trade IMO simply because the odds were so low of it actually happening.

I think we make more mistakes with not retaining talent.

LOb0
02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Yeah Clippers have rarely made such catastrophic moves simply because we rarely swung for the fences, rarely cared about winning enough to make a big gamble. I mean losing out on Kyrie is our worst based on circumstantial **** that could easily change if we never made the deal. Its not like we are guaranteed Kyrie if we keep our pick nor is it guaranteed that Cavs take it with protection given the owed picks we had. Either way, its not a bad trade IMO simply because the odds were so low of it actually happening.

I think we make more mistakes with not retaining talent.

That was a horrible trade due to a cap dump for a 1st round pick. You should never do that. Did that trade get them under the cap and if so did they do anything with the room?

Dan Gilbert most underrated owner in the league. Dude payed 14 million for a 1st round pick. Rewarded with Kyrie.

Chronz
02-16-2017, 06:27 PM
That was a horrible trade due to a cap dump for a 1st round pick. You should never do that. Did that trade get them under the cap and if so did they do anything with the room?

Dan Gilbert most underrated owner in the league. Dude payed 14 million for a 1st round pick. Rewarded with Kyrie.
I disagree, if the pick ends up being where it was projected with more than 98-99% certainty then it was a great trade. Its only bad in retrospect and if we ignore the probabilities entirely.

When building a team and grading moves, I dont think you should build with by far the least likely outcome in mind, you should make calculated decisions rather than live by safe rules with low yields.

As for what we did with the cap space, I actually dont remember but I saw the trade as a move to get a shooting PG to play with our new found Power-Point-Forward. Like to me, Doc trading a first rounder to get rid of Jared Dudley (only to see him predictably rebound from injury and land yet another lucrative contract thereafter) so that he could sign vet min projects who failed is FAR worse in terms of managerial negligence.

Lil Rhody
02-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Traded crap for vin bakers drunk *** and the fact we traded for Raef LaFrentz and Jiri Welsch so lame

YoungOne
02-16-2017, 09:39 PM
I wonder why the celtics-nets trade hasn't been mentioned yet :confused:

TheMightyHumph
02-16-2017, 10:12 PM
I wonder why the celtics-nets trade hasn't been mentioned yet :confused:

I , a Net fan, didn't mention it probably because I've been numbed by all the bad trades the Nets made leading up to that incredibly horrible trade.

CodeRed
02-16-2017, 10:21 PM
The only bad trade I can think of in my time as a Nuggets fan was selling the rights to Rudy Gobert on draft night...

LOb0
02-17-2017, 09:41 AM
lol OKC with Harden for Steven Adams and trash.

Tg11
02-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Trading Vinsanity for Mourning and essentially nothing

TheMightyHumph
02-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Nets got played badly on that one.

JAZZNC
02-19-2017, 04:01 PM
The only bad trade I can think of in my time as a Nuggets fan was selling the rights to Rudy Gobert on draft night...

We thank you for that!

He and Jokic on the same team would be very very interesting, just don't know that Jokic could guard stretch 4s but it would still be pretty intriguing front court.

CodeRed
02-19-2017, 05:52 PM

We thank you for that!

He and Jokic on the same team would be very very interesting, just don't know that Jokic could guard stretch 4s but it would still be pretty intriguing front court. I'm not sure it would work. The lone bright side to that trade was Jokic having a chance to shine.

TylerSL
02-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Heat signing Dion (Kobe Wade) Waiters last summer.....

In all seriousness, in hindsight it was drafting Beasley over Westbrook in 2008.

ellington19
02-19-2017, 07:09 PM
that trade is bad b/c of what did with it and injuries. Hardly Khan's worst move.

Jefferson had to go, but how do you not get more in return?

Two heavily protected picks and an (at the time) end of the bench guy was terrible.

Maybe not his worst move, but a shockingly poor decision nonetheless.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-20-2017, 01:48 AM
I wonder what Kings fans will be putting.

jaydubb
02-20-2017, 05:03 AM
I wonder what Kings fans will be putting.

:laugh2:

Was just coming in here to read if there was any new comments.. haha

kobe4thewinbang
02-20-2017, 05:30 AM
Steve Nash trade, no doubt. Well...maybe the Shaq one was worse. All they really got back was Odom, right?

jaydubb
02-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Steve Nash trade, no doubt. Well...maybe the Shaq one was worse. All they really got back was Odom, right?

I think the Steve Nash trade was far worse tbh..

at least with the shaq trade, the lakers got Lamar Odom (who eventually became very key in going to 3 finals and winning 2) and Caron butler who was eventually traded for the guy (kwame brown) that was eventually traded for pau gasol.. so in a nut shell, the shaq trade eventually got the lakers pau gasol, Lamar Odom and Jordan farmar (who was a decent rotation piece on the 2 championship teams).

Steve Nash trade was beyond bad... it's still hurting the lakers to this day and really, gave the lakers no value at all whatsoever.

Blitzbolt
02-20-2017, 10:38 AM
When it comes to the Grizzlies people always point out the Pau trade but we end up with Marc Gasol and Zbo thanks to that and we been in the playoffs ever since .

They haven't rly had a bad trade to be honest we do well in that department also in free agency .The draft is our number one issue.

Thabeet with the second pick or trading Love for OJ Mayo during the draft.

ewing
02-20-2017, 11:21 AM
When it comes to the Grizzlies people always point out the Pau trade but we end up with Marc Gasol and Zbo thanks to that and we been in the playoffs ever since .

They haven't rly had a bad trade to be honest we do well in that department also in free agency .The draft is our number one issue.

Thabeet with the second pick or trading Love for OJ Mayo during the draft.

Thabeet had bust written all over him

BGeer091
02-20-2017, 11:31 AM
The Camby and Nene for McDyess and Frank Williams trade was the worst for me. I understood the Curry trade at the time.

However this trade with the Nuggets completely changed the Knicks. I think from an identity and culture stand point we've never been the same.

kobe4thewinbang
02-20-2017, 04:38 PM
I think the Steve Nash trade was far worse tbh..

at least with the shaq trade, the lakers got Lamar Odom (who eventually became very key in going to 3 finals and winning 2) and Caron butler who was eventually traded for the guy (kwame brown) that was eventually traded for pau gasol.. so in a nut shell, the shaq trade eventually got the lakers pau gasol, Lamar Odom and Jordan farmar (who was a decent rotation piece on the 2 championship teams).

Steve Nash trade was beyond bad... it's still hurting the lakers to this day and really, gave the lakers no value at all whatsoever.In a roundabout way, the Shaq trade was better, no doubt. That Nash trade just killed LA. They never got to see those guys all play together due to injuries, especially Nash's injuries. Having given up picks for him too really hurts. At least the Shaq trade led to good things, but I guess what I'm saying is the immediate return wasn't as good as it could've been and I think analysts were saying so at the time.

jaydubb
02-20-2017, 08:22 PM
In a roundabout way, the Shaq trade was better, no doubt. That Nash trade just killed LA. They never got to see those guys all play together due to injuries, especially Nash's injuries. Having given up picks for him too really hurts. At least the Shaq trade led to good things, but I guess what I'm saying is the immediate return wasn't as good as it could've been and I think analysts were saying so at the time.

Oh, agreed.. the immediate return was pretty bad considering they just traded a top 5 player of all time. They lucked out that it eventually was able to turn into pau and Lamar tho

Funny but it's actually similar to the pau trade where at first it looked pretty one sided but then leveled out years later.

valade16
02-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Any Kings fans want to revise their answer lol?

MJNetsIsles
02-20-2017, 08:37 PM
When the Nets traded away their entire future for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

Brooklyn Basketball will one day be on the map but for, rock bottom. Billy **n King

KingPosey
02-20-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm a Kings fan and really, nothing comes to mind honestly. We don't really have a historically awful trade that sets a franchise back a decade....

mike_noodles
02-20-2017, 09:54 PM

At least there was multiple firsts. But yeah, pretty ugly that we paid Mourning $10m for refusing to report. And of course Aaron and Eric Williams.

TrueFan420
02-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Kings fans should have a new one to post

Ishkabibble
02-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Don't know if this qualifies but selecting Len Bias 2nd overall in '86 destroyed a Celtics dynasty and directly brought about the premature end to Bird and McHale's careers.

crewfan13
02-23-2017, 09:50 PM
For bucks, I don't count Kareem (since he forced his way out) or dirk (we never had any intention of drafting him, so had we not made the trade we likely would have drafted someone else).

The Ray Allen for Gary Payton trade stands out as the worst. We basically sided with George Karl over Allen in their fued and let him make a deal that set us back for awhile.

This one doesn't really count, but there's two trades that had they gone differently, could have resulted in the bucks getting the splash brothers. In 2011, the bucks traded the 10th pick in the draft to Sacramento to get out from under john salmons bad contract. Sac has us draft jimmer at 10 for them as part of the deal. Klay ended up being the 11th pick. But the bucks scouted Klay fairly heavily and there's a decent chance he would have been the pick had we stayed put. (He would have been the long term replacement for salmons who we clearly didn't like anymore).

Then the next trade deadline we traded bogut to golden state for Monta Ellis. The rumor at that point was that we basically got to pick between Ellis and curry (this was when curry hadn't turned into a star yet and had a couple ankle injuries.) We chose Ellis instead of Steph.

LOb0
02-23-2017, 10:00 PM
For bucks, I don't count Kareem (since he forced his way out) or dirk (we never had any intention of drafting him, so had we not made the trade we likely would have drafted someone else).

The Ray Allen for Gary Payton trade stands out as the worst. We basically sided with George Karl over Allen in their fued and let him make a deal that set us back for awhile.

This one doesn't really count, but there's two trades that had they gone differently, could have resulted in the bucks getting the splash brothers. In 2011, the bucks traded the 10th pick in the draft to Sacramento to get out from under john salmons bad contract. Sac has us draft jimmer at 10 for them as part of the deal. Klay ended up being the 11th pick. But the bucks scouted Klay fairly heavily and there's a decent chance he would have been the pick had we stayed put. (He would have been the long term replacement for salmons who we clearly didn't like anymore).

Then the next trade deadline we traded bogut to golden state for Monta Ellis. The rumor at that point was that we basically got to pick between Ellis and curry (this was when curry hadn't turned into a star yet and had a couple ankle injuries.) We chose Ellis instead of Steph.

Lmao I've never heard that. If that's true, that's pathetic they took Monta over Steph.

lol, please
02-24-2017, 12:36 AM
Warriors-

Worst:

Best... for me...

This lol. Warriors can't be rivaled when it comes to getting raped on trades.

crewfan13
02-24-2017, 01:46 AM
Lmao I've never heard that. If that's true, that's pathetic they took Monta over Steph.

Not really though. This would have been in the 2011/2012 season, which was steph's third year. That year, he played only like a third of the season due to ankle issues and hadn't broken out yet. There were real questions at the time if he was going to be injury prone his whole career and whether he had enough besides shooting to be a good pro.

Super easy to look back and say it was obvious, but at the time, it really wasn't. He broke out in a huge way pretty much right after that and is now one of the best players in the league. But at the time, I could see how it would have been a tough call.

lol, please
02-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Not really though. This would have been in the 2011/2012 season, which was steph's third year. That year, he played only like a third of the season due to ankle issues and hadn't broken out yet. There were real questions at the time if he was going to be injury prone his whole career and whether he had enough besides shooting to be a good pro.

Super easy to look back and say it was obvious, but at the time, it really wasn't. He broke out in a huge way pretty much right after that and is now one of the best players in the league. But at the time, I could see how it would have been a tough call.

Well said.

Hindsight is 20/20 and leaning on it to judge an action made at a point in time in the past is foolish.

Very few of us were happy about the Monta trade in the bay area, in fact most warriors fans on PSD especially hated the idea. I was super embarassed as a fan the night Mullin had his jersey retired and Lacob was met with boos at ROARacle, fans are fickle and idiots largely and don't understand the big picture.

Monta was a star back then (for us) and while most fans wanted both Curry and Ellis, Ellis was more developed at the time, didn't have injury issues, and was our PG - the one man fast break. It was a devastating loss, even for us who were glad Curry stayed out of the two, and while some of us, myself included were optimistic about the future, many people doubted if Curry could handle being PG and if he would develop into more than "just a shooter".

Heck even here in the main forum, if you go back to the Bogut/Ellis trade thread, you will see posters saying the Warriors got the short end of the stick.

Of course, as history would have it, Curry and Klay flourished, and with a prime DLee, and rookies like Barnes, Ezeli, Udoh, and Green, under the leadership of Mark Jackson, this franchise earned it's respect one game at a time, and never looked back.

eDush
02-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Marcus Williams orchestrated by our legendary Chris Mullin, is the worst Warriors trade ever that I ever witnessed.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/warriors/2011/02/08/the-ghost-of-marcus-williams/

I still admire Mullin dearly but not so much as our GM :no:.

eDush
02-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Well said.

Hindsight is 20/20 and leaning on it to judge an action made at a point in time in the past is foolish.

Very few of us were happy about the Monta trade in the bay area, in fact most warriors fans on PSD especially hated the idea. I was super embarassed as a fan the night Mullin had his jersey retired and Lacob was met with boos at ROARacle, fans are fickle and idiots largely and don't understand the big picture.

Monta was a star back then (for us) and while most fans wanted both Curry and Ellis, Ellis was more developed at the time, didn't have injury issues, and was our PG - the one man fast break. It was a devastating loss, even for us who were glad Curry stayed out of the two, and while some of us, myself included were optimistic about the future, many people doubted if Curry could handle being PG and if he would develop into more than "just a shooter".

Heck even here in the main forum, if you go back to the Bogut/Ellis trade thread, you will see posters saying the Warriors got the short end of the stick.

Of course, as history would have it, Curry and Klay flourished, and with a prime DLee, and rookies like Barnes, Ezeli, Udoh, and Green, under the leadership of Mark Jackson, this franchise earned it's respect one game at a time, and never looked back.Well i must be one of the few then since I was happy he was shipped off cause I care more about winning, not ball hogging and would have been upset had they traded Steph instead even after his latest knee injury in a string of injuries. I said he is the only one who can take the Warriors to the promise land and WILL be a top player in the game when most wanted to trade him for 50 cents off the dollar due to his injuries and reckless turnovers. I also said Klay will be the best two way SG in the league when he was just average. And now I am saying Hield will be one of the best shooters in the game :nod:.

AntiG
02-27-2017, 02:44 PM
When the Nets traded away their entire future for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

Brooklyn Basketball will one day be on the map but for, rock bottom. Billy **n King

That might be the worst trade in NBA history. Had KG and PP been in their prime, then giving away those draft picks would have been fine, but at the time KG and PP were 36 and 35.

Pfeifer
02-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a favorite team to mention.

But I live closest to the Grizzles, and they traded Steve Francis after drafting him second overall.

I live close to Vancouver. Drafting Big country lol.

D Blue987
02-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Lakers trading for Steve Nash when he was at the end of his rope. lol.