PDA

View Full Version : Ibaka to Toronto

Wade n Fade
02-14-2017, 12:24 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1231926

2017 first and Ross for Ibaka. MU strikes again!

Crackadalic
02-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Orlando has agreed to trade Serge Ibaka to Toronto for Terrence Ross and a 2017 first-round pick, league sources tell @TheVertical.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/831536258824429568

LeonFSU
02-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Fire Hennigan

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Yeah I posted this in the rumor thread. But I guess Ibaka is a big name worthy of his own thread.

MagicBucsSox
02-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Fire Hennigan

This is a damn fair trade

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm honestly shocked we were able to get a first-rounder. It's a good recoup by Hennigan since the ibaka/dipo trade backfired

ballallday
02-14-2017, 12:37 PM

LOL have fun with ross that guy is total trash

CELTICS4LYFE
02-14-2017, 12:38 PM
They should just done a sign n trade in the offseason with Biyombo lol

Nice pick up, wanted the C's to get him.

Crackadalic
02-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Race for top 3 just got really interesting

koreancabbage
02-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Biyombo is too one dimensional. and at $17M? i rather get someone who is a better player overall.

Wade n Fade
02-14-2017, 12:47 PM
The Clips pick is pretty much like an early 2nd lol because they're going to be towards the end of the first round. Payton, Fournier, Ross, Gordon, and Vucevic. A great tank lineup.

Giannis94
So Oladipi and the 11 pick turned into Ross and a late 1st? You go, girl.

kingsdelez24
Highway robbery compared to what OKC wanted in return back in June. Literally, all of Ross's production can be replaced, and more efficiently at that, with Norman Powell.

GodsSon
Raptors win this deal hands down and I'm not even a fan of Ibaka.

Ross was our most expendable piece with Norm waiting in the wings and the pick is the lesser of our two 1st's. MU FINALLY plugs the 4 spot to give us our first legit starter at the position since Bosh.

tp13baby
02-14-2017, 12:48 PM

I would take Sabonis, Oladipo, and Ersan over Ross and a first. Got something out of it but a late pick isn't great. Its a talented draft up to about 20, after its very average like previous years.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 12:55 PM
I would take Sabonis, Oladipo, and Ersan over Ross and a first. Got something out of it but a late pick isn't great. Its a talented draft up to about 20, after its very average like previous years.

Yea I mean no magic fan is going to say we like this better most of us were very upset with the ibaka trade to begin with. But I am 100% fine with this trade as a recoup for ibaka. I didn't expect much with him being a free agent and 2 assets are better then 0

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Will be interesting how much Lowry and Ibaka extensions will be next summer. A lot of tweets saying luxury tax.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Ross is perfect for this team tho (tankage) not that I'm saying he is bad but he is 26 I'm a cheap 3 year deal and will have a much larger role to prove himself

Hope we get a top 3 pick

MagicBucsSox
02-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Yea I would too, but that boat has sailed. This is a good trade for a guy leaving. And don't forget Vicevic n Green are gonna be moved as well

mightybosstone
02-14-2017, 01:01 PM
So Oladipi and the 11 pick turned into Ross and a late 1st? You go, girl.

Yeah. Ultimately that's what everyone will see the whole Oladipo for Ibaka trade as. That's a terrible swap on paper. I do actually think this is a decent deal for Orlando if they thought knew Ibaka wasn't going to re-sign with them in the offseason. But if you look at what they gave up to get Oladipo, this still makes Orlando's front office look insanely incompetent.

MagicBucsSox
02-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Sources: TOR had also been closing in on a deal for Taj Gibson and told the Magic to take it or leave it on the offer for Serge Ibaka..

pebloemer
02-14-2017, 01:02 PM

What? Not even sure how that makes any sense.

Teams can only arrange sign and trades with their own free agents, but Toronto didn't have cap space to sign Biyombo, nor did Biyombo have bird rights to allow him to be signed over the cap.

?????

ilovesports
02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxjNzUzu9k

Masai found his guy the only way he could. I love this trade for Toronto and Serge should love playing there too

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2017, 01:06 PM
So long as there are no chemistry issues, this is a really good add for the Raptors. They weren't getting a high pick anyways, and this gives them a strong defensive presence.

Not sure how it will work out, but as a Raptors fan, I am excited.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Albert Nahmad ‏@AlbertRandom1 4m
4 minutes ago

More
Add it all up and Raptors could easily get to $140M+ in team salary next season (vs. $122M tax threshold), pending additional moves.

That's a lot of money. So a follow up salary dump trade?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 01:08 PM
I also read ibaka perfered to be traded to Toronto over any teams being talked to so no doubt he stays I love this trade for both teams and while I root for magic to get a top 3 pick I'll be rooting for ibaka to knock off the Cavs

GodsSon
02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
That's a lot of money. So a follow up salary dump trade?

We have a trash bin making $15 mil a year in DeMarre Carroll. Surely someone could use him.

Sactown
02-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Yeah it's hard to get value when everyone knows he isn't resigning with you, and you don't have much of a market for him. Outside of Toronto who else would of been bidding? Boston maybe?

MagicBucsSox
02-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Orlando may not be done dealing. As I wrote in my first @hoopshype rumor notebook, executives say they are being incredibly active.

Vuc n Payton and Green expiring is still available.

MagicBucsSox
02-14-2017, 01:13 PM
If rob Hennigan can move Evan Fournier he'd be back in my good graces

mightybosstone
02-14-2017, 01:16 PM
Also, while I think this trade was a good consolation prize for Orlando, this could end up being either a huge steal or a tremendous risk for Toronto. It all really depends on if they can re-sign him in the offseason. If they can, then that core of Lowry, DeRozan, Ibaka and Valanciunas has some serious long-term potential moving forward to contend in the East for years. If they can't, then they gave up a solid young rotational scorer on a cheap contract and a 1st rounder for a rental of Ibaka for essentially 30 games and one postseason.

I think, more than likely, it will end up being a great move for them long-term. But that risk is always there...

MagicBucsSox
02-14-2017, 01:19 PM
If rob Hennigan can move Evan Fournier he'd be back in my good graces

R. Johnson#3
02-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Pretty sure I called this trade in the initial Ibaka thread. Ibaka fills the void we had at the 4. On top of that Norman Powell is free to take Ross' spot as 6th man. The Raps got a hell of a lot better.

R. Johnson#3
02-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Also, while I think this trade was a good consolation prize for Orlando, this could end up being either a huge steal or a tremendous risk for Toronto. It all really depends on if they can re-sign him in the offseason. If they can, then that core of Lowry, DeRozan, Ibaka and Valanciunas has some serious long-term potential moving forward to contend in the East for years. If they can't, then they gave up a solid young rotational scorer on a cheap contract and a 1st rounder for a rental of Ibaka for essentially 30 games and one postseason.

I think, more than likely, it will end up being a great move for them long-term. But that risk is always there...

T Ross will be forgotten by Raps fans in about a month. We have Norman Powell who is pretty much as good as T Ross and is only going to get better.

Even if Ibaka walks, it's still worth it. If he stays then yes, it's great.

MagicBucsSox
02-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Sources: The Magic may not be done dealing. Still looking at other trades as they launch the next iteration of their rebuild..

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Keith Smith ‏@KeithSmithNBA 17m
17 minutes ago

More
Orlando now projects to have between $14M and $19M in cap space this summer if they renounce all FAs. Magic cap outlook next summer.

pebloemer
02-14-2017, 01:23 PM

It should be noted that Ibaka and Lowry share the same agent. Ibaka has spoken favourably of Toronto in the past and has connections with Masai Ujiri from Basketball Without Borders program. The risk always exists without a contract signed though.

I'm of the opinion Ross needed to be moved though. Powell is a better overall player IMO and Carroll and DeRozan are locked in on big contracts at the wing already. The debate was just to move Ross for futures, or short-term risk. I think Ibaka makes a lot of sense in that context.

canzano55
02-14-2017, 01:25 PM

I personally wouldn't have made the trade if I was Toronto.

This move was clearly influenced by outside pressures to salvage this season when in reality the Raptors have been exposed by NBA teams and appear to have structural issues within the squad.

If you can't beat Detroit/Magic/Suns etc at home, especially you're 15 games over .500 then, there's serious issues. Ibaka helps in the short term but I don't know if this season can be rescued by the aqcuisition of one player.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Yeah it is a bit risky. This is Ibaka's first year since his rookie season for all time lows in block shots. So be carefully on that extension. He could drop off here on out. Probably why Thunder jumped on the Magic trade. You gotta know when to hold 'em and fold 'em.

Rivera
02-14-2017, 01:32 PM
I just like this because we can slide Gordon into the 4 where he will be more effective, its like addition with subtraction

I didnt think we would get a 1st either even though its late

aman_13
02-14-2017, 01:33 PM

This move was clearly influenced by outside pressures to salvage this season when in reality the Raptors have been exposed by NBA teams and appear to have structural issues within the squad.

If you can't beat Detroit/Magic/Suns etc at home, especially you're 15 games over .500 then, there's serious issues. Ibaka helps in the short term but I don't know if this season can be rescued by the aqcuisition of one player.

Raptors have been targeting Ibaka for a long time. They went after him during the draft. Yeah their recent struggles put some pressure on Masai but they were looking to solidify the 4 spot for a while.

sixer04fan
02-14-2017, 01:35 PM
@kyleneubeck: "So sum of their two Ibaka trades is that the Magic essentially downgraded at two guard & downgraded their own pick and deferred it a year"

Lol.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 01:52 PM
No doubt in my mind ibaka will stay in Toronto

And yes everyone will keep comparing it to the dipo trade i get it. But that ship sailed and this is the after math I'm fine with what we got for ibaka considering the situation and he wasn't staying here ...

We weren't resigning dipo anyway we chose Fournier and the 11th pick in last year's draft will prob be as good as the 28th in this year draft ... Talent this year is way way way better and last years talent was one of the worst

LOb0
02-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Orlando GM should be fired for making the trade with OKC.

GiantsSwaGG
02-14-2017, 02:00 PM
Raps would of been better off trading for Gibson, Ibaka defense is close to trash now

Sactown
02-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Not sure why everyone is ******** on Orlando

You didn't think Dipo was in your future plans and didn't want to be stuck over paying him, so you dealt him for a guy who you thought could make you a playoff team.

You lost the 11th pick in a weak draft, and things didn't pan out the way you hoped, so you dealt Ibaka in a dry market (Perhaps because of the lowering of the projected cap) and you salvaged a young piece and a late first.

This didn't really set Orlando back and it didn't make them good enough that they'll miss out on a top pick. Seems like a wash.

DanG
02-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Lakers in: Nerlens Noel
Lakers out: Jordan Clarkson, Lou Williams

76ers in: Jordan Clarkson, Norman Powell, 2017 Raptors 1st round pick
76ers out: Nerlens Noel

Raptors in: Serge Ibaka, Lou Williams
Raptors out: Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson, Norman Powell, 2017 1st round pick, 2017 1st round pick (LAC)

Magic in: Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson, 2017 1st round pick (LAC)
Magic out: Serge Ibaka

lullz so the trade I posted a weeks ago happened, except for the Lakers&Sixers part :(

LOb0
02-14-2017, 02:12 PM

You didn't think Dipo was in your future plans and didn't want to be stuck over paying him, so you dealt him for a guy who you thought could make you a playoff team.

You lost the 11th pick in a weak draft, and things didn't pan out the way you hoped, so you dealt Ibaka in a dry market (Perhaps because of the lowering of the projected cap) and you salvaged a young piece and a late first.

This didn't really set Orlando back and it didn't make them good enough that they'll miss out on a top pick. Seems like a wash.

Because it was a pointless trade. I'd rather kept Sabonis and traded Dipo for something else. They basically traded Sabonis, Ilyasova and Dipo for Ross and the 20ish pick in the draft.

mightybosstone
02-14-2017, 02:13 PM

I don't think you can look at a handful of losses and say "This team is broken because they lost to Teams X, Y and Z." I mean, the Warriors lost to the Kings last week and got completely blown out by Denver last night. But they're still on pace for one of the greatest seasons in NBA history.

Also, Toronto gave Cleveland a run for its money last year in the ECF. With Ibaka replacing Biyombo's defensive presence, I think they feasibly could again. But it's clear to me that the Raptors weren't probably going to beat Cleveland as they were previously constructed. On paper, at least, this puts them right up there with Boston as the top contender to knock off the Cavs in the East.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 02:13 PM

I agree but everyone just sees the dipo trade and I get that ... This was a smart move tho I like it better then nothing and may help us get a star in the draft

Sactown
02-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Because it was a pointless trade. I'd rather kept Sabonis and traded Dipo for something else. They basically traded Sabonis, Ilyasova and Dipo for Ross and the 20ish pick in the draft.

Well it's pointless when hindsight is 20/20, at the time of the deal Orlando felt they were capable of making the playoffs. The only loss is Sabonis... But we are talking about a guy who is averaging 6points 3reboubds on a team that is RWB or bust... In fact if they land in the top 3 picks you could argue having Dipo could hurt you

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk

See this is easy to say after seeing sabonis play. But reality is magic were never drafting him he was thunders choice we picked him and sent the rights for him to thunder... Irsan wasn't staying and neither was dipo... If we signed irsan I would have went ape***** he was such garbage while he was here omg....

Like I said before the 25th pick in this draft is prob better then the 10 in last year's draft.... Draft last year was bad ... We weren't paying dipo 21 mil a year .... We weren't keeping irsan ... We really didn't miss out on as much as outsiders think

Twolves88
I look at this as Toronto trying to see if they can make a run with their current core. If they can't I doubt they resign Ibaka and they could look at blowing all up next summer. I'm not sure I look at Ibaka as the missing piece of a championship team.

mightybosstone
02-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Because they dealt a good young player that feasibly could have been a core piece to their rebuild for a 50-game rental of a good, not great player that didn't give them a chance in hell of contending in the East. And then they turned around and traded that player for a fraction of what they dealt him for, realizing far, far too late that they had no chance of cracking the postseason in the first place.

It was clear to every other person on the planet other than Orlando's front office that this core of players with Ibaka wasn't going to do anything in the postseason. So they essentially set back their (already long) rebuilding efforts even further for nothing. It makes zero sense.

Edit: And if they didn't think Oladipo was going to be in their long-term plans, that's totally fine. But don't trade him for a 50-game rental of a veteran that does zero to help your rebuild. Trade him for some quality prospects and draft picks that will help you in the long-term.

LOb0
02-14-2017, 02:18 PM
I look at this as Toronto trying to see if they can make a run with their current core. If they can't I doubt they resign Ibaka and they could look at blowing all up next summer. I'm not sure I look at Ibaka as the missing piece of a championship team.

Meh its low risk for an impact guy. And the Cavs are not looking to hot right now. Might as well give it a try.

Sactown
02-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Because they dealt a good young player that feasibly could have been a core piece to their rebuild for a 50-game rental of a good, not great player that didn't give them a chance in hell of contending in the East. And then they turned around and traded that player for a fraction of what they dealt him for, realizing far, far too late that they had no chance of cracking the postseason in the first place.

It was clear to every other person on the planet other than Orlando's front office that this core of players with Ibaka wasn't going to do anything in the postseason. So they essentially set back their (already long) rebuilding efforts even further for nothing. It makes zero sense.

This is A Star or bust league, you could argue that having players like Dipo keeps you from ever being bad enough to have a shot at drafting a star... Look at Philly and the TWolves. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to have a chance to draft an Embiid or KAT.

In my mind there is no argument that would lead me to believe that this was a "set back"

RLundi
02-14-2017, 02:28 PM
I'm actually okay with the deal. Everyone saying Hennigan should be fired are probably right, but that sentiment was true a few months ago. The fact is, this deal with Toronto wasn't a bad one. Orlando got a pretty fair package for a player destined to leave them in the summer. I've never been a fan of Ross but perhaps he'll catapult being the second- or third-best scorer on the team. Not holding my breath but again, something is better than nothing with a player virtually guaranteed to leave.

I also did not expect to receive a first-pick at all. So on that level, I must give Hennigan credit, even if the pick is in the 20s. In this loaded draft, any pick is an asset. I'm excited to have two first round picks in a draft that supposedly has 5 or 6 superstar-level talents.

Anyway, people can bash the trade all they want but realistically, there wasn't anything better out there. Kudos to Toronto for turning their lesser pieces into a player that excels at spacing the floor and provides the occasional spell of elite defensive prowess. I don't think it's enough for them to get out of the East and I shudder at both the prospect of Ibaka leaving this summer and Ibaka having a $30M annual salary for the next 5 years, but I applaud the team for doing whatever is necessary to try to win a ring.

Vinylman
02-14-2017, 02:29 PM

In any other summer going forward after this one there is no way ibaka gets close to a max ... I even doubt it happens this summer .... the only reason he has a chance is because of the jump in the cap

canzano55
02-14-2017, 02:41 PM
I don't think you can look at a handful of losses and say "This team is broken because they lost to Teams X, Y and Z." I mean, the Warriors lost to the Kings last week and got completely blown out by Denver last night. But they're still on pace for one of the greatest seasons in NBA history.

Also, Toronto gave Cleveland a run for its money last year in the ECF. With Ibaka replacing Biyombo's defensive presence, I think they feasibly could again. But it's clear to me that the Raptors weren't probably going to beat Cleveland as they were previously constructed. On paper, at least, this puts them right up there with Boston as the top contender to knock off the Cavs in the East.Its the nature of the losses and the inconsistent production throughout the squad that stands out.

All teams lose games and/or go on losing streaks but the Raptors have clearly broken down defensively and are getting outplayed late in games. On top of that they get consistent offensive production from only two players in their starting backcourt - the rest of the team is either ball watching or chucking bricks late in the clock.

Opposing coaches have figured out how to play the Raptors and it doesn't take a genius to see how flawed Toronto is. I don't know how Ibaka fixes that.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Edit: And if they didn't think Oladipo was going to be in their long-term plans, that's totally fine. But don't trade him for a 50-game rental of a veteran that does zero to help your rebuild. Trade him for some quality prospects and draft picks that will help you in the long-term.

Comments like these are easy to make now tho. If you have a Crystal ball and know this will happen down the road it's easy to say no deal lol

Magic hoped there young guys would take a big step and take serge would help that and help them sneak into a playoff spot and be able to keep serge and sign another big name in off season . it was a risk and it didn't happen ...

We really didn't get hurt in this much this trade with Toronto was a nice salvage of a plan gone wrong ...

mightybosstone
02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
This is A Star or bust league, you could argue that having players like Dipo keeps you from ever being bad enough to have a shot at drafting a star... Look at Philly and the TWolves. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to have a chance to draft an Embiid or KAT.

In my mind there is no argument that would lead me to believe that this was a "set back"

But as I said at the end of my post (edited right after posting), they could have dealt Oladipo in a trade that would have netted them a much, much better package to help their rebuild than Terrence Ross and a pick in the 20s. And to make matters worse, they dealt the 11th pick in the draft last year along the way (aka Sabonis). So they turned a much better player and pick into a much worse player and pick.

How does that help your rebuild? It doesn't. It was just a terrible decision all around, and if I were the owner of the Magic, I would completely clean house in the front office this summer and bring in a new GM who knew what the hell he was doing.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 02:48 PM
But as I said at the end of my post (edited right after posting), they could have dealt Oladipo in a trade that would have netted them a much, much better package to help their rebuild than Terrence Ross and a pick in the 20s. And to make matters worse, they dealt the 11th pick in the draft last year along the way (aka Sabonis). So they turned a much better player and pick into a much worse player and pick.

How does that help your rebuild? It doesn't. It was just a terrible decision all around, and if I were the owner of the Magic, I would completely clean house in the front office this summer and bring in a new GM who knew what the hell he was doing.

Again knowing what u know now its easy to say that ...

Magic were not rebuilding anymore when they traded dipo for ibaka they were trying to make the playoffs (stupid but that's what they were doing)

Your point is moot because they weren't rebuilding when they made that trade they were trying to take a step forward

R. Johnson#3
02-14-2017, 03:15 PM

Trading a young player and a pick for a proven player then signing a centre to a 4 year deal for big money sure is an odd way of rebuilding?

R. Johnson#3
02-14-2017, 03:17 PM
lullz so the trade I posted a weeks ago happened, except for the Lakers&Sixers part :(

That had to be one of the funniest trades I've ever seen.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Trading a young player and a pick for a proven player then signing a centre to a 4 year deal for big money sure is an odd way of rebuilding?

Exactly

Those moves were signs they were done rebuilding and it didn't work out

But we have a young core to do a soft rebuild with Payton Fournier Mario Gordon Vucevic and even Ross and biz are young .... Top 4 pick this year. Move what parts don't fit

Vee-Rex
02-14-2017, 03:43 PM
I like this deal for Toronto.

They cashed in on Ross who is a streaky shooter and low IQ player, and gave up a pick that will most likely be in the late 20's.

And Ibaka is a better 3-point shooter anyway this year. Besides that, it gives Toronto more frontcourt depth (they're getting crowded at the PF position) and a big capable of defending in space.

Lowry/DeRozan/Carroll/Patterson/Ibaka could be a great lineup to counter the Cavs putting shooters at the PF/C spots. Norman Powell has been playing well and will probably get more PT with Ross's departure as well.

valade16
02-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Magic were not rebuilding anymore when they traded dipo for ibaka they were trying to make the playoffs (stupid but that's what they were doing)

Your point is moot because they weren't rebuilding when they made that trade they were trying to take a step forward

But even at the time it was a puzzling trade because it was still too much for Ibaka (who had definitely regressed from his peak) and Orlando was flooded with big men so trading a G for a F didn't make a lot of sense for gordon.

It wasn't as bad a trade at the time, but it was still an odd one.

koreancabbage
02-14-2017, 03:48 PM
and to think OKC wanted 9th overall pick, Cory Joseph, Patrick Patterson, and Norman Powell last year

Raptors got their man at a discounted price + bird rights.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 03:52 PM
But even at the time it was a puzzling trade because it was still too much for Ibaka (who had definitely regressed from his peak) and Orlando was flooded with big men so trading a G for a F didn't make a lot of sense for gordon.

O I agree it was a odd move for sure but they wanted to play ag at the 3 and other then Vuc, ibaka was the only big. They signed biz after which made it crowded and made little sense

I didn't mind the ibaka for dipo swap I understood magic were wanting a name and a vet and they didn't wanna pay dipo big money so swapping expiring guys made sense ... I just didn't like including our pick that was dumb but that draft sucked so meh.

But him fine with these moves pple make comments about us getting little for harkless Harris dipo and ibaka but that's around 70 mill in yearly salaries I'm thankful not to have ... Wait till you get a real star to spend it on

valade16
02-14-2017, 04:00 PM
O I agree it was a odd move for sure but they wanted to play ag at the 3 and other then Vuc, ibaka was the only big. They signed biz after which made it crowded and made little sense

I didn't mind the ibaka for dipo swap I understood magic were wanting a name and a vet and they didn't wanna pay dipo big money so swapping expiring guys made sense ... I just didn't like including our pick that was dumb but that draft sucked so meh.

But him fine with these moves pple make comments about us getting little for harkless Harris dipo and ibaka but that's around 70 mill in yearly salaries I'm thankful not to have ... Wait till you get a real star to spend it on

As a Blazer fan I can say we did not expect Harkless to contribute near as much as he has so I don't think you guys really were dumb there, just a case of a young guy finding a better fit and maximizing his abilities.

5ass
02-14-2017, 04:02 PM

I thought it was a bad trade initially but really it wasn't that bad. It just looks worse right now because things didn't work out as planned. if the Magic were in the play offs right now, the trade wouldn't look bad at all. I think ibaka is still better and more valuable than oladipo, and basically the cost of the upgrade was an 11th pick in a terrible draft. That's not bad.

Getting Ross and a first for him is meh IMO. I would've liked Powell, but neither him or Ross are going to save the Magic. I'm more concerned about who the Magic will pick top 5 this year.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Hennys gone after this season, damage is done.

5ass
02-14-2017, 04:07 PM
I hope for a better return if they trade Vucevic. I really think that guy is a borderline all star on the right team.

mrblisterdundee
02-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Raps would of been better off trading for Gibson, Ibaka defense is close to trash now

Ibaka shoots nearly 39 percent from three, whereas Gibson shoots about 18 percent. He's not Oklahoma City Ibaka, but I wouldn't call his defense trash by any means.

I hope for a better return if they trade Vucevic. I really think that guy is a borderline all star on the right team.

Vucevic is infinitely more tradable with Ibaka was, being a double-double, post-scoring machine on a $10 million contract with multiple years left.

GiantsSwaGG
02-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Ibaka shoots nearly 39 percent from three, whereas Gibson shoots about 18 percent. He's not Oklahoma City Ibaka, but I wouldn't call his defense trash by any means.

Vucevic is infinitely more tradable with Ibaka was, being a double-double, post-scoring machine on a $10 million contract with multiple years left.

His defense stinks, he's lost 90% of his athleticism and most importantly he's going to be signed to a ridiculous contract, let's not forget Lowry needs to be resigned as well. The Raps got slightly better but there interior D will be bad and stretch 4's will destroy him!

ManRam
02-14-2017, 05:34 PM
I know a lot of Magic fans have coveted Ross for a while. I've never really loved Ross personally, but I'm OK with this. It's better value than I expected tbh. Ross, while not a great shooter, is better than just about anything the Magic have (that says a lot about how this roster has been built) and in general he's a fine offensive player. I don't think he'll be taking a huge step forward at the age of 26, but a change in scenery can't hurt. Most importantly this frees up the logjam up front...and I really, really, really hope this means Aaron starts getting nearly all his minutes at the 4. That alone excites me. And a late first rounder in a deep draft is fine.

I just assumed we wouldn't get a first, but we did. So I'm not mad.

If Kevin Love has a setback this could really pay big dividends. I never thought I'd entertain the idea of Toronto getting past Cleveland, and I'm not ready to say they have a chance yet, but Serge is good and Serge helps. He's not playing like he's in his prime, but he's had a nice bounce back season. As a third option he's still fine.

mightybosstone
02-14-2017, 06:10 PM

But that's kind of my whole point. If they thought they were going to be a legitimate playoff contender with the Ibaka and Biyombo additions alone, then that was a huge lapse in judgment on their part. Best case scenario when the Magic made those acquisitions (and that's being really optimistic), the best they could have hoped for with this core was a 6-8 seed in a weak conference.

That's why that trade made no sense. They took two of their best assets they had and turned them into a long shot at playoff contention, when they could have taken those assets and turned them into some legitimate rebuilding pieces.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2017, 06:15 PM
But that's kind of my whole point. If they thought they were going to be a legitimate playoff contender with the Ibaka and Biyombo additions alone, then that was a huge lapse in judgment on their part. Best case scenario when the Magic made those acquisitions (and that's being really optimistic), the best they could have hoped for with this core was a 6-8 seed in a weak conference.

That's why that trade made no sense. They took two of their best assets they had and turned them into a long shot at playoff contention, when they could have taken those assets and turned them into some legitimate rebuilding pieces.

Your preaching to the choir with that ... They abandoned the rebuild a couple years to soon .... They didn't learn from Sam the goat Hinkie

smith&wesson
02-14-2017, 08:03 PM
I also read ibaka perfered to be traded to Toronto over any teams being talked to so no doubt he stays I love this trade for both teams and while I root for magic to get a top 3 pick I'll be rooting for ibaka to knock off the Cavs

Ross could break out.. the guy just needs consistent minutes because this year he has looked ready for a bigger role.

Really think Ross can make Magic fans forget about Oladipo. After he gets adjusted to the team.. and Vogal could be the right coach for him to.

Imagine a fast break with Ross and Gordon. Alot of athleticism there. And Ross is a dead eye shooter from 3.. his shot is very smooth.

However the gm still needs to be fired for making that trade in the first place with okc.

smith&wesson
02-14-2017, 08:13 PM
I know a lot of Magic fans have coveted Ross for a while. I've never really loved Ross personally, but I'm OK with this. It's better value than I expected tbh. Ross, while not a great shooter, is better than just about anything the Magic have (that says a lot about how this roster has been built) and in general he's a fine offensive player. I don't think he'll be taking a huge step forward at the age of 26, but a change in scenery can't hurt. Most importantly this frees up the logjam up front...and I really, really, really hope this means Aaron starts getting nearly all his minutes at the 4. That alone excites me. And a late first rounder in a deep draft is fine.

I just assumed we wouldn't get a first, but we did. So I'm not mad.

If Kevin Love has a setback this could really pay big dividends. I never thought I'd entertain the idea of Toronto getting past Cleveland, and I'm not ready to say they have a chance yet, but Serge is good and Serge helps. He's not playing like he's in his prime, but he's had a nice bounce back season. As a third option he's still fine.

This year he finally has looked like the player we drafted but not enough mins for him I toronto.. his 3s are also clutch.. he seems to hit the when you need it most. He could break out. He just needs to work on handles really.

WestCoastSportz
02-14-2017, 08:57 PM
I surprised a team like the Cavaliers didn't get into the conversation for Serge Ibaka, especially with Kevin Love now being out for an extended period of time. Even with Love, Ibaka would be a better center than Thompson. Terrrence Ross? The Cavs could have offered the 1st round pick and Iman Shumpert. With Kyle Korver starting to get into things and with JR Smith returning in a bit, Shumpert would have been the odd man out.

FlakeyFool
02-14-2017, 09:01 PM
nothing special about t ross, dime in dozen player

mrblisterdundee
02-14-2017, 10:05 PM
His defense stinks, he's lost 90% of his athleticism and most importantly he's going to be signed to a ridiculous contract, let's not forget Lowry needs to be resigned as well. The Raps got slightly better but there interior D will be bad and stretch 4's will destroy him!

Cool story. That must be why Ujiri has been so hot on Ibaka because he's only a slight improvement over Ross and plays no defense. I'm sure you know more than he does, especially considering your magical ability to tell that Ibaka has lost exactly 90 percent of his athleticism. And I'm sure Ibaka's contract will be totally ridiculous, since so many teams were going to offer it to him.

GiantsSwaGG
02-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Cool story. That must be why Ujiri has been so hot on Ibaka because he's only a slight improvement over Ross and plays no defense. I'm sure you know more than he does, especially considering your magical ability to tell that Ibaka has lost exactly 90 percent of his athleticism. And I'm sure Ibaka's contract will be totally ridiculous, since so many teams were going to offer it to him.

And? Magic GM was so hot for him, then traded when they realize he wasn't the long term answer and wasn't quite the player they thought he was

Pfeifer
02-14-2017, 11:54 PM
And? Magic GM was so hot for him, then traded when they realize he wasn't the long term answer and wasn't quite the player they thought he was

They traded him because he will be a FA and just informed the team he wont be resigning.

mrblisterdundee
02-15-2017, 12:12 AM

He wasn't the long-term answer within the ill-conceived construction of the Magic, and because he's 27 years old on a team just starting a rebuild not because he sucks. But then again, I've forgotten how you secretly know more about Ibaka than the general manager who just traded for him.

Clint Olbrock
02-15-2017, 07:44 PM
The FIFTH place Raptors had to do something to shake it up.. I mean, this is the team that was supposed to meet the Cavs in the ECF.. Or by some accounts even advance past the ECF. :laugh2:

smith&wesson
02-16-2017, 03:01 AM
The FIFTH place Raptors had to do something to shake it up.. I mean, this is the team that was supposed to meet the Cavs in the ECF.. Or by some accounts even advance past the ECF. :laugh2:

They are 1.5 games out of 3rs place. Calm down there big guy .. post season it where the counts. We'll see what happens

bucketss
02-16-2017, 06:05 PM

you're still feeling threatened.

Vee-Rex
02-16-2017, 06:26 PM
I surprised a team like the Cavaliers didn't get into the conversation for Serge Ibaka, especially with Kevin Love now being out for an extended period of time. Even with Love, Ibaka would be a better center than Thompson. Terrrence Ross? The Cavs could have offered the 1st round pick and Iman Shumpert. With Kyle Korver starting to get into things and with JR Smith returning in a bit, Shumpert would have been the odd man out.

Cavs don't have a 1st round pick to offer and Hennigan wanted one. Besides, Ibaka's gonna go for a much bigger contract than we can afford in the offseason.

Clint Olbrock
02-16-2017, 07:10 PM
They are 1.5 games out of 3rs place. Calm down there big guy .. post season it where the counts. We'll see what happens

Playoffs is where the Raptors choke, big guy.

ghettosean
02-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Playoffs is where the Raptors choke, big guy.

Last year they got to the ECF and lost 4-2 against the champs. Huge choke job there... SMH!

Clint Olbrock
02-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Last year they got to the ECF and lost 4-2 against the champs. Huge choke job there... SMH!

YAY! Short sighted, focus on 1 year and act like it is the norm.. WOO HOO!

Oh, wait.. They lost as the higher seed in the 1st round in 2014 and 2015.. Oh, you don't wanna mention that or talk about it, aw ok.

bucketss
02-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Oh, wait.. They lost as the higher seed in the 1st round in 2014 and 2015.. Oh, you don't wanna mention that or talk about it, aw ok.

2014 we were inexperienced vs a team just as good filled with veterans, i don't see that as a choke. and we were literally one point away winning that series. 2015 is the only choke job

a real choke job would be cavs in 2009 and 2010.

Cal827
02-16-2017, 08:46 PM

To be fair, Lebron was looked at as a choker until he won a title in Miami. Of course there are the memories, but isn't it more about the present day? The only case that I think a choke won't really be forgotten would be the Warriors last year. I have a feeling that they'll still be mocked for last seasons loss, even though they'll probably win it this season

:laugh2: I'm sure you know the same losing as the higher seed as a Bengals fan :D... though getting into the playoffs once in a while must be nice :laugh2:

Clint Olbrock
02-16-2017, 09:48 PM
To be fair, Lebron was looked at as a choker until he won a title in Miami. Of course there are the memories, but isn't it more about the present day? The only case that I think a choke won't really be forgotten would be the Warriors last year. I have a feeling that they'll still be mocked for last seasons loss, even though they'll probably win it this season

:laugh2: I'm sure you know the same losing as the higher seed as a Bengals fan :D... though getting into the playoffs once in a while must be nice :laugh2:

Bills haven't been in the playoffs in 17 years, shut ya :censored: up.

Clint Olbrock
02-16-2017, 09:53 PM
2014 we were inexperienced vs a team just as good filled with veterans, i don't see that as a choke. and we were literally one point away winning that series. 2015 is the only choke job

a real choke job would be cavs in 2009 and 2010.

You were a 3 seed in 2014.. That is a choke..

At least the Cavs made it out of the 1st round both years :laugh2:

Tg11
02-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Raptors don't have what it takes plain and simple...they do not have "it" while the Celtics we do have it

murphturph
02-19-2017, 04:58 AM

Playing against the Dwill Joe Johnson Peirce Garnett Nets who, at the time, had the highest payroll the NBA had ever seen. This is against a team that traded Rudy Gay mid season. It was a great series!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Curious what the Ibaka extension will be. $20M per or more? Raptors need to play it smart. Don't need a big long contract to be a burden if he regresses here on out. Ibaka already at all time lows with blocked shots this season. Compared to his rookie season.

Tg11
02-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Still a skeptic because Ibaka has underperformed this whole season with Orlando and Toronto fans expect him to come in and be the once dominant defensive juggernaut that he was in OKC...like Raptor fans need to be realistic

LanceUpperCut
02-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Still a skeptic because Ibaka has underperformed this whole season with Orlando and Toronto fans expect him to come in and be the once dominant defensive juggernaut that he was in OKC...like Raptor fans need to be realistic

It's funny how all the Ibaka is declining people literally point to one stat which is pretty horrible one in blocks. The Raps need his all arond defense and his ability to shoot 3's more then just rim protection. Hell we have Bebe how can rack up the blocks.

I'd still like to see one more move by Masai someone like Wilson Chandler or PJ Tucker. But this move obviously makes us better and talking about on big decline when almost all his numbers are up except for blocks well playing a new team that was garbage doesn't tell me much.

Tg11
02-19-2017, 11:12 AM
It's funny how all the Ibaka is declining people literally point to one stat which is pretty horrible one in blocks. The Raps need his all arond defense and his ability to shoot 3's more then just rim protection. Hell we have Bebe how can rack up the blocks.

I'd still like to see one more move by Masai someone like Wilson Chandler or PJ Tucker. But this move obviously makes us better and talking about on big decline when almost all his numbers are up except for blocks well playing a new team that was garbage doesn't tell me much.

Yeah it may make you Raptors better but at the same time you guys have been lacking in defense but with Ibaka on your team I don't see how you guys will fare any better even with him on defense

Last year you guys were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA because of Biyombo more or less but fast forward to now you guys have more or less fallen off

Even with Ibaka I still don't think that the Raptors can make it from 4th all the way back to 2nd or even 1st...not gonna happen

Sadds The Gr8
02-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Brooklyn was favored in that series...

5ass
02-19-2017, 08:21 PM

He's not a great defender anymore though. He's expanded his offensive game since early OKC days. Defensively, he's regressed for sure. He's not going to come in and transform your defenses, but he's still good. Offensively he's better than ever. He's a guy I'd count on in the play offs though. He can hit big shots, and probably be a little more rested. There's something wrong with his legs. If you look at his stats on the second night of back to backs vs when rested this season, they're night and day. 44% FG, 31% 3t, 1.2 bpg vs 48% FG, 42% 3pt, 1.7bpg

Bausman
02-19-2017, 09:44 PM
nothing special about t ross, dime in dozen player

A guy that can win a dunk contest and be the best shooter on a team isnt a dime a dozen.

Ross can ball and he is a good kid. His only knock is his inconsistency but i think he was held back with inconstant minutes. I am sad to see him go because i have a feeling he will break out and become the type player toronto need (although not as much as they need a pf).

In the long run i could see orlando winning this trade. I used to be a huge Ibaka fan until I heard he was complaining about his role/shots/touches on a finals team that also has westbrook and kd. Sounds like a loser to me. Then he goes to Orlando and brings them down. Teamates were happy to see him go. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson and wants to get back to winning. I also hope he isnt expecting too many shots with a Lowry/Derozan back court.

This will be interesting... cant wait for the break to end!

eDush
02-20-2017, 06:15 AM
I vote that the GM in Orlando is the worst in the league by far! They gave up so much for Ibaka and then got much less in return. This is the same GM who didn't want Iggy on his team and brag to the fans about the huge trade exemption from the Howard dump and then let it expire :laugh:

Tg11
02-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Either way I don't see the Raptors doing much if at all with Ibaka

koreancabbage
02-20-2017, 11:19 AM
lol Raptor fans really overrating the Raptors. I will take last year's results as a grain of salt because they struggled mightily against inferior teams in Miami and Indiana (two series that went to game 7s) and flukely got two wins against Cleveland because Cleveland just played bad. I give Raptors 0 credit for playing "well" where as i give Cleveland credit for just playing "bad". Notice how the first two and last two games of the series were blowouts.

If I were to predict how the Raptors are going to be like this year, I would probably think they bow out in the 2nd round at best. Especially true if they are the 3rd or 4th seed.

Playoff Derozan and Lowry are turrible. Have been for 3 years straight. I have little faith in Derozan as the alpha player for the Raptors. winning is cool and i cheer for the Raptors to succeed but lets be realistic here.

Tg11
02-20-2017, 11:23 AM
lol Raptor fans really overrating the Raptors. I will take last year's results as a grain of salt because they struggled mightily against inferior teams in Miami and Indiana (two series that went to game 7s) and flukely got two wins against Cleveland because Cleveland just played bad. I give Raptors 0 credit for playing "well" where as i give Cleveland credit for just playing "bad". Notice how the first two and last two games of the series were blowouts.

If I were to predict how the Raptors are going to be like this year, I would probably think they bow out in the 2nd round at best. Especially true if they are the 3rd or 4th seed.

Playoff Derozan and Lowry are turrible. Have been for 3 years straight. I have little faith in Derozan as the alpha player for the Raptors. winning is cool and i cheer for the Raptors to succeed but lets be realistic here.

Finally a Raptors fan who is realistic finally because most Raptor fans are not and with Ibaka on their team they just expect to become great again virtually overnight like sorry it's not going to happen that fast

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-20-2017, 11:23 AM
I vote that the GM in Orlando is the worst in the league by far! They gave up so much for Ibaka and then got much less in return. This is the same GM who didn't want Iggy on his team and brag to the fans about the huge trade exemption from the Howard dump and then let it expire :laugh:

I don't know I think the Kings GM might be worse LOL we got a pretty similar package with an expiring Ibaka that the Kings got for a superstar in cousins with over a year left on his deal

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Yeah it seems Ibaka rubbed the team the wrong way...

A lot of talk with no backup apparently

Work ethic to he's questionable to me for instance Ross was in Orlando mingling with the players and media watching film and at shootaround the day after the trade but he couldn't play because Ibaka didn't get the full clearance to play for the Raptors because he was too tired

koreancabbage
02-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Finally a Raptors fan who is realistic finally because most Raptor fans are not and with Ibaka on their team they just expect to become great again virtually overnight like sorry it's not going to happen that fast

i think most Raptors fans can acknowledge to some extent. Ibaka is a guy who moves the needle if your main guy (Derozan) can find him when there is like 5 seconds left on the shot clock. He's basically a more consistent version of our best big man 3 point shooter - Patterson. and that's if the ball moves in the offense for the Raptors. It usually doesn't if Derozan is on the floor.

He can't score from anywhere on the floor and that's where Raptors get in trouble because he takes the most shots! a great defender will render Derozan useless as well - he doesn't contribute anymore to the game and is frustrated, which brings the team's mojo down. great players will contribute defensively or find the open man if their offense isn't going - Derozan doesn't play defense nor will he try to find the open man - its usually him first taking a bad shot and the Raps running back the other way, scrambling on defense.

so ya back on topic, If Derozan finds the open man more and now that he has the weapon in Ibaka, maybe the team takes the next step - but this is entirely on Derozan to take the next step as a player for the Raps to have a chance.

LanceUpperCut
02-20-2017, 02:05 PM
For every Raps homer there a handful of fans that are way to insecure.
I don't hear anyone claiming they just secured a title with Ibaka but I think it's pretty obvious they just filled a gapping hole that's been there for a couple years.

eDush
02-20-2017, 02:32 PM

I don't know I think the Kings GM might be worse LOL we got a pretty similar package with an expiring Ibaka that the Kings got for a superstar in cousins with over a year left on his dealBuddy and their top 3 protected pick is much much better than Ross and a very low round first. Buddy is waiting to explode as a star and surprise people can't see this :crazy:

aman_13
02-20-2017, 02:55 PM
If the Raps can get Ibaka acclimated quick, they should be much better on both ends. When Patterson is on the court, the Raptors are a significantly better basketball team largely due to his ability to space the floor. They move the ball better and are better defensively. He's been out for a while and that's really hurt the Raps.

Ibaka will now give the Raps two stretch bigs on the court at the same time and at least one on the court for the entire game. This is a great move for Toronto, no matter how you slice it.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Buddy and their top 3 protected pick is much much better than Ross and a very low round first. Buddy is waiting to explode as a star and surprise people can't see this :crazy:

Lol number one we are comparing cousins to Ibaka so the return shouldn't have even been close not to mention the better player in the deals (cousins) had over a year left on his contract when the Lesser player (ibaka) is expiring this year.

Number two the pick we got and the pick that the Kings got really won't be that far apart maybe the difference of 5 to 10 picks apart? Pelicans can easily snag a playoff spot and that pick could become a mid-round pick for the Kings

Number three. heild is not a star and no he doesn't look like he's going to be a super star. sure he may put up good numbers as the Kings best scoring option now but I don't see Star potential in him at all but maybe I'm wrong but as of right now there's no saying he will ever be anything more than what Ross already is

So yeah the return we got and the return the Kings got is surprisingly similar when it shouldn't be even close Kings should have gotten way more...

Pfeifer
02-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Yeah it may make you Raptors better but at the same time you guys have been lacking in defense but with Ibaka on your team I don't see how you guys will fare any better even with him on defense

Last year you guys were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA because of Biyombo more or less but fast forward to now you guys have more or less fallen off

Even with Ibaka I still don't think that the Raptors can make it from 4th all the way back to 2nd or even 1st...not gonna happen

Biyombo was a back-up and was not the main reason.