PDA

View Full Version : Would there be repercussions for blatant tanking?

Giannis94
02-09-2017, 05:54 PM
I know that the 76ers have tanked the past few years and there were no fine penalties, or anything for it- except for a lack of revenue, and attendance.

With the Jabari injury and the season looking like a losss, the Bucks are 4.5 games from the #3 odds.

Now say they realize this is the best class in years and decide to rest and DNP Giannis, and Middleon (after he rehabs back into forum) and they just practice and do simulated workouts instead.

This would be strictly a business decision and could pay off big time seeing the 2017 class is apparently the best in years.

The starting lineup would be:

Delly
Brogden
Beasley/Snell
Maker
Moose

Would the NBA be able to levvy any fines or penalties?

Sactown
02-09-2017, 06:02 PM
I know that the 76ers have tanked the past few years and there were no fine penalties, or anything for it- except for a lack of revenue, and attendance.

With the Jabari injury and the season looking like a losss, the Bucks are 4.5 games from the #3 odds.

Now say they realize this is the best class in years and decide to rest and DNP Giannis, and Middleon (after he rehabs back into forum) and they just practice and do simulated workouts instead.

This would be strictly a business decision and could pay off big time seeing the 2017 class is apparently the best in years.

The starting lineup would be:

Delly
Brogden
Beasley/Snell
Maker
Moose

Would the NBA be able to levvy any fines or penalties?

Obviously the league doesn't care if you blow things up, the only time a team has shamelessly tanked is the 76ers , and the league only seemed slightly frustrated. However Philly (If Embiid stays healthy) might have the last laugh. What's the difference from what Philly did for three season and what the Kings have done for a decade? The bucks should shop all their vets

valade16
02-09-2017, 06:02 PM
The repercussion is you suck for a long time.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2017, 06:07 PM
no, otherwise Philly would have felt the wrath by now

Giannis94
02-09-2017, 06:08 PM

I'm saying the Bucks do it for half a season, get a higher pick. They wont lose season tickets and the single game tickets will be marginal

Giannis94
02-09-2017, 06:10 PM
As a Bucks fan, having picked late lottery too many times I think we as fans would appreciate them taking for half a season. Honestly believe that.

valade16
02-09-2017, 06:22 PM
I'm saying the Bucks do it for half a season, get a higher pick. They wont lose season tickets and the single game tickets will be marginal

Ah, I see what you're saying.

I think it would depend on how blatant the tanking would be. Imagine if the Clippers say decided next season to bench Paul, Griffin and Jordan for 60+ games under the guise of injury or rest. Then get the high pick and start that guy.

I think it'd be pretty blatant but it may allow them to compete with the Warriors lol

valade16
02-09-2017, 06:23 PM
As a Bucks fan, having picked late lottery too many times I think we as fans would appreciate them taking for half a season. Honestly believe that.

As a Blazer fan, as many times as we've ****ed up a top 2 pick, I'm not sure I want us picking that high ever again :laugh2:

Giannis94
02-09-2017, 06:24 PM

I think it would depend on how blatant the tanking would be. Imagine if the Clippers say decided next season to bench Paul, Griffin and Jordan for 60+ games under the guise of injury or rest. Then get the high pick and start that guy.

I think it'd be pretty blatant but it may allow them to compete with the Warriors lol

Say you trade Monroe and you have a team starting:

Delly
Broggy
snell
Maker
Roy hibbert

Maker and Broggy are the only ones worth developing. Probably worse than most teams they are competing with in the lottery minus NJ and possibly LAL. Could easily end up at the #3 odds.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2017, 06:44 PM
They won't rest Giannis, Middleton will replace Parker, and you have already won 22 games. Even playing terrible the rest of the year, you accidentally win another 7-8 games, putting you well outside the odds for the top pick.

Giannis94
02-09-2017, 06:45 PM
They won't rest Giannis, Middleton will replace Parker, and you have already won 22 games. Even playing terrible the rest of the year, you accidentally win another 7-8 games, putting you well outside the odds for the top pick.

I'm not talking top pick. We all know aint no one stopping the nets. I'm talking top 5 odds.

IndyRealist
02-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Sure there's consequences. They make you hire a Colangelo.

lakerfan85
02-09-2017, 07:39 PM

:laugh:

More-Than-Most
02-09-2017, 07:43 PM
The fun thing is... We tanked but still werent as bad on purpose in some years as say the knicks and now the lakers... All those people that hated on us for tanking and there were oh so many are no praying for tanking... No lie.. When the lakers tanked the first year they said to me its just 1 year compared to what ended up being 3 for philly... The lakers are now in year 3 of their tank just like that.

What philly did is bad and should be outlawed but again what the lakers did was worse... They tanked but sold their fan base on guys like hibbert and kept their tickets and **** sky high and rode kobe into a grave... That is just as bad or worse... We tanked... It was bad but we cut prices and didnt **** on our fanbase.

As for the topic you cant do anything about tanking... Tanking isnt the ****ing issue... the issue is the super team ******** and stars only wanting to play with stars and or perfect ideal situations... That literally means as a franchise you either get ****ing hella lucky like the thunder did or you are stuck in mediocrity for years while trying to be competitive only to be ousted over and over with 0 chance at winning... **** that... As a sixer fan we dealt with that **** from 03-2012 and its so much ****ing worse then tanking. The league needs to fix the top heavy **** asap before they worry about ****ing tanking.

More-Than-Most
02-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Look at Boston right now... as good as they are they stand no chance at a title... They are going to try and trade for a butler/George and the only reason they have that situation is quite literally the worst trade of all time... In this league with the spurs/Warriors/Cavs you need to tank or luck into the perfect situation.

Look at the Thunder... No ****ing chance with a superstar and top 3 player in the game... That literally is telling because of how loaded everyone else is.

More-Than-Most
02-09-2017, 07:48 PM

:laugh:

pretty much spot on lol

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2017, 07:49 PM
No, but I don't think your team should do it.....when the Sixers did it we had bad contracts, where a perennial 10 - 6 seed with no shot of winning a series....we tore it down and now are on the seeing what we have and starting to build a team phase....you have have players to build around.

The Sixers tanking wasn't not playing its best players, it was not having legit starting NBA talent (well not more than a player or two) on the roster until the last 14 months or so.

You have the foundation of a core....like we are starting to build...you need to tweak not tank.

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2017, 07:50 PM

And we added 2....that is a great line, one of the best posts I read in a while on this site.

lakerfan85
02-09-2017, 08:02 PM
The fun thing is... We tanked but still werent as bad on purpose in some years as say the knicks and now the lakers... All those people that hated on us for tanking and there were oh so many are no praying for tanking... No lie.. When the lakers tanked the first year they said to me its just 1 year compared to what ended up being 3 for philly... The lakers are now in year 3 of their tank just like that.

What philly did is bad and should be outlawed but again what the lakers did was worse... They tanked but sold their fan base on guys like hibbert and kept their tickets and **** sky high and rode kobe into a grave... That is just as bad or worse... We tanked... It was bad but we cut prices and didnt **** on our fanbase.

As for the topic you cant do anything about tanking... Tanking isnt the ****ing issue... the issue is the super team ******** and stars only wanting to play with stars and or perfect ideal situations... That literally means as a franchise you either get ****ing hella lucky like the thunder did or you are stuck in mediocrity for years while trying to be competitive only to be ousted over and over with 0 chance at winning... **** that... As a sixer fan we dealt with that **** from 03-2012 and its so much ****ing worse then tanking. The league needs to fix the top heavy **** asap before they worry about ****ing tanking.

Meh.. I think there's a difference in tanking versus having a couple of morons running your team..

More-Than-Most
02-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Meh.. I think there's a difference in tanking versus having a couple of morons running your team..

To be fair I didnt fault the sixers and its not because I am a fan and I dont fault the lakers... as long as top players like James/Durant/warriors/Clippers all want to party with each other then teams in purgatory like the knicks and like the lakers were and sixers at one point should do whatever they feel is right at a chance for a championship... teams have been tanking forever... the sixers just flipped people off while doing it.

ewing
02-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Psd calls the dude running the team "a genius"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhopisthename
02-09-2017, 11:43 PM
they will never do anything about tanking. honestly what can they do? Tanking is something that only works sometimes. Also most owners won't do it as it will cost them a ton of money.

JasonJohnHorn
02-10-2017, 12:13 AM
Obviously not.

#TheProcess

Scoots
02-10-2017, 12:14 AM
Obviously the league doesn't care if you blow things up, the only time a team has shamelessly tanked is the 76ers , and the league only seemed slightly frustrated. However Philly (If Embiid stays healthy) might have the last laugh. What's the difference from what Philly did for three season and what the Kings have done for a decade? The bucks should shop all their vets

LOTS of teams have shamelessly tanked ... only the 76ers did it over multiple seasons.

Scoots
02-10-2017, 12:15 AM

The Warriors tanked for the 2012 draft ... they didn't suck for a long time.

Scoots
02-10-2017, 12:17 AM

Paul and Griffin are free agents ... it would be hilarious if they signed them to huge contracts and benched them :)

Giannis94
02-10-2017, 12:18 AM
The Warriors tanked for the 2012 draft ... they didn't suck for a long time.

If you tano for half a season like if I bech giannis from now on, the team won't suck long term. It will suck for half a season and get a better selection of players at 7 than 14-16. I'm all for it. We might lose revenue but what does that even mean? We got the new arena so I'm good with it.

ewing
02-10-2017, 01:38 AM
If you tano for half a season like if I bech giannis from now on, the team won't suck long term. It will suck for half a season and get a better selection of players at 7 than 14-16. I'm all for it. We might lose revenue but what does that even mean? We got the new arena so I'm good with it.

I thought he was good you need tank for another franchise player?

Giannis94
02-10-2017, 01:58 AM
I thought he was good you need tank for another franchise player?

Plsying to improve lottery stock is pointless.

We already have 2 franchise players, and I guess you can call Jabari one still because I'd still take him over Oden Jr (I will drop the oden jr nick name once embiid surpases jabari in games played).

Giannis and Kd Light is a sick tandem, jist need to fire kidd to get kd light more PT, doe.

ewing
02-10-2017, 02:04 AM
Plsying to improve lottery stock is pointless.

We already have 2 franchise players, and I guess you can call Jabari one still because I'd still take him over Oden Jr (I will drop the oden jr nick name once embiid surpases jabari in games played).

Giannis and Kd Light is a sick tandem, jist need to fire kidd to get kd light more PT, doe.

when those two play i blame kid for any lose

Giannis94
02-10-2017, 02:09 AM
when those two play i blame kid for any lose

I would complain even more but I'm completely content to drop 30 f bombss in real life instead of on psd (s/o to a the mods. U da best) and start praying to thank govenor walker and Giannis for getting us a stadium.

TheDish87
02-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Bucks stink even with Giannis sow hats the difference?