PDA

View Full Version : Had the Clippers been health each year with CP3, would they have won?

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2017, 11:03 AM
It seems like every year the Clippers deal with an extended injury to either Chris Paul, or Blake Griffin, or both.

To start the season, the Clippers were on pace to win 60 games and looked as though they could pose a real challenge to the Warriors.

The Blake went down. He's come back, but Paul went down. Every year we see this, and come to appreciate how good each player is because they manage to keep the team afloat by themselves.

Usually, during playoffs, both players are around, but their seedings gets impacted, or one is not at 100%.

So the question is, had the Clippers been healthy every season since CP3 arrive, would they have been able to win it all?

Would they have been able to get to the finals?

Thoughts?

JAZZNC
02-09-2017, 12:51 PM
No. Chris Paul has never been able to lead a team to success in the post season and that stems all the way back to college. His team's can't ever get over the hump and it certainly wouldn't have happened this year. I have always felt like he and Blake keep each other from being their best selves.

Chronz
02-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Year one cp3 injured himself vs the grizzlies but the team still overachieved and won without hca. When they played the spurs pop made note of the fact that that's not how a healthy cp3 moves. At full health maybe they win a game but spurs absolutely advance. Blake and dj were pups who could get shut down and couldn't return the favor.

Year2 cp3 was healthy but blake was badly hurt and we had lost the bigs from the year prior that contained Memphis. Plus they jettisoned Rudy gay and were much improved as a result of losing the guy who could "create his own" shot. Maybe we win that series with a healthy Blake but again he and dj were still pups so not much beyond that.

Year 3 we lost to the better team at basically full health.

Year 4 was painful because i fully believe had cp3 not gotten hurt in that heroic game 7, we cruise through Houston. As it was, a shallow team was exhausted. This is the year i could see the seeding improve but i don't think it would've been necessary had the league done away with the rule they did the very next year as a result of such an unfair first round series. Then we give gs a quality 6 games but ultimately lose. I do like that year more than any other because Blake was finally a playoff performer.

This past season we definitely finish off portland and i could see us forcing curry to play from the onset. We had gained some semblance of depth but i think Cleveland beats them if they make it.

They never win for the simple fact that they don't defend well enough. Blake lacks the talent to play consistent defense and when he does put together those stretches its not exactly dominant and it tires him out completely. Clips struggle with the gauntlet that is the West for those very inconsistencies.

When we had the depth to keep Blake's minutes down he wasn't the playoff performer he is today. That's been the biggest issue.

dhopisthename
02-09-2017, 01:15 PM
It seems like every year the Clippers deal with an extended injury to either Chris Paul, or Blake Griffin, or both.

To start the season, the Clippers were on pace to win 60 games and looked as though they could pose a real challenge to the Warriors.

The Blake went down. He's come back, but Paul went down. Every year we see this, and come to appreciate how good each player is because they manage to keep the team afloat by themselves.

Usually, during playoffs, both players are around, but their seedings gets impacted, or one is not at 100%.

So the question is, had the Clippers been healthy every season since CP3 arrive, would they have been able to win it all?

Thoughts?

I really doubt it. they have never been higher then the third seed and most years are the 4th seed. cp3 has been about average health wise, Deandre has been near bullet proof, and before last year Blake has been pretty healthy. their core 3 just isn't good enough especially when they could never find a good small forward and have usually had a bad horrendous benches.

DarkKnight
02-09-2017, 01:16 PM

Thoughts?
NO , next question

KingPosey
02-09-2017, 01:34 PM
No. Chris Paul has never been able to lead a team to success in the post season and that stems all the way back to college. His team's can't ever get over the hump and it certainly wouldn't have happened this year. I have always felt like he and Blake keep each other from being their best selves.

Take away his Clippers teams because injuries have happened every single year and tell me one team hes had all the way backl to college that should have challenged for a championship.

KingPosey
02-09-2017, 01:37 PM
I really doubt it. they have never been higher then the third seed and most years are the 4th seed. cp3 has been about average health wise, Deandre has been near bullet proof, and before last year Blake has been pretty healthy. their core 3 just isn't good enough especially when they could never find a good small forward and have usually had a bad horrendous benches.

If you don't think they could have won that's fine, but you cannot argue they've been healthy and that their health issues are not real lol.

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Hey JazzNC.... not trying t jump down your throat about this, and I know you usually have pretty good posts, but I think the 'CP3 can't lead his team' argument is BS. If you don't think that they would have won, I respect that, because I'm not sure they would have. That said, I can't think of a player in the league who is a better leader than CP3. There are some guys who I think may be as good, though they have different leadership styles, but there is not a better leader on the floor than CP3.

He reminds me a lot of Jason Kidd, not in terms of style of play (completely different, CP3 is more like an amped up version of Zeke), but in the way they call out on teammates and push them to hustle and work on D and chase after lose balls. The reason he is so good at that is because he holds himself to such a high standard. He doesn't give up on plays, he shares the ball, he isn't selfish, he works hard on every play, and never slacks off on D. So when he calls people out, they know he is holding himself to that same standard.

The impact of this is clear in the productivity of his teams. The Clippers jumped up from less than .400 ball to over .600 ball after acquiring him, and then improve the following two seasons, leading the franchise to its best three-year stretch ever (actually, I'm pretty sure they've never won as many games over any stretch of time equal to CP3's current tenure).

And it's not like the Clippers just got him for nothing. They gave up Chris Kaman, who was a year removed from an All-Star appearance, and Eric Gordon, who had just come off a season where he posted over 22 points a game and almost 5 assists. They gave up two starters for Paul, and saw continued improvement for three seasons, and the 4th season they performed nearly as well as the two before it. The last two seasons they've remained oer .600 despite injuries.

And he did much the same in NO. As a rookie he helped them improve by 20% and they then saw three years of continued growth with him.

The biggest problem he's had is a lack of talent around him. I mean... all he had in NO was David West (who he helped reach his full potential) and Tyson Chandler. In LAC, he's got a upgrade on West with Griffin, and perhaps a lateral move from Chandler to DaJ. But at the end of the day, his coach is to busy trying to find excuses to play his own son rather than win games.

The Clippers not winning it all has nothing to do with CP3 not being able to lead, and everything to do with the lack of talent they've managed to put around him.

I mean, KD had Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Sefolosha, and still could pull off a finals win. That is three MVP candidates, and two defensive juggernauts. Put that level of talent around CP3, and there are titles in the cards.

CP3 is a great leader.

ManRam
02-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Of any of the modern super stars, CP3 is the one I fault least for a lack of rings or general team success. He's always performed tremendously individually in the playoffs. He's had some insanely clutch moments. He got those New Orleans teams further than they ever had any business to go...and then he went to LAC where luck has just never really broken for him. I really think very little of it is his own fault. There's only so much he can do, and boy has he tried hard.

We're talking about the guy who's 5th all time in WS/48 in the playoffs, behind only Michael, Mikan, Bron and Magic.

Third all time in assists per game in the playoffs, behind only Magic and Stockton.

Sixth all time in PER, behind only Michael, Mikan, LeBron, Shaq and Hakeem.

Third all time in Box Plus/Minus, behind only Michael and LeBron.

A 58.39 TS% and a 53.03% eFG%.

I know that's just numbers, but man...he's been great in the playoffs. Statistically he's also one of the most clutch shooters in the game.

Cracka2HI!
02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
14-15 they had a legit chance. The rest no. They were the favorite in Vegas for 1 day during the 14-15 playoffs. I actually believed they were the best team. It's hard to blame that meltdown on a CP3 injury. Yes he was injured and missed the 1st 2 games vs Houston. They would have won game 2 and swept the series if Paul wasn't hurt so you can make a point that was the reason. However they had a 26 point lead at home in game 5 and blew the series. I think the real problem for the Clippers has been Blake Griffin. He was AWESOME in 14-15. The 3rd best player in the NBA. He's gone way downhill since then and I couldn't really tell you why. He's been hurt but so far hasn't really had the type's on injuries that slow you down physically, but he has slowed down physically.

Kyben36
02-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Get to the finals maybe, but i have a hard time believing they could win it, to me they are a gimmike team that thrives on flashy plays, that dont convert to playoffs wins as much regular season wins

europagnpilgrim
02-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Best chance was that year they beat Spurs and then CP3 got hurt against the Rockets, that was the chance I felt they had to get to Finals

and to the person who made this topic CP3 is not a amped up version of Zeke because if not for a phantom like Bird steal and bad ankle sprain in the Finals Zeke would have 4 peated with the Pistons but had to settle for 2 rings, CP3 is a amped up version of Kidd shooting wise minus the rebounds since they play similar styles of being a traditional pure PG and that's being kind since Kidd went to back to back Finals

YAALREADYKNO
02-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Best chance was that year they beat Spurs and then CP3 got hurt against the Rockets, that was the chance I felt they had to get to Finals

and to the person who made this topic CP3 is not a amped up version of Zeke because if not for a phantom like Bird steal and bad ankle sprain in the Finals Zeke would have 4 peated with the Pistons but had to settle for 2 rings, CP3 is a amped up version of Kidd shooting wise minus the rebounds since they play similar styles of being a traditional pure PG and that's being kind since Kidd went to back to back Finals

🙌🏽

Chronz
02-10-2017, 01:23 AM

Lmfao. How many core 3s, when healthy have done better over the years? They win because their top4 is elite.

Chronz
02-10-2017, 01:25 AM
Cp3 has LED HIS team further than John Stockton ever did. That's for damn sure. But yeah arbitrary round is arbitrary so we agree on that

ewing
02-10-2017, 01:57 AM
Cp3 has LED HIS team further than John Stockton ever did. That's for damn sure. But yeah arbitrary round is arbitrary so we agree on that

its not arbitrary. the NBA finals is literal further then the 2nd round.

Cracka2HI!
02-10-2017, 02:12 AM
Wasn't it more Malone's team though?

Chronz
02-10-2017, 03:30 AM
its not arbitrary. the NBA finals is literal further then the 2nd round.
Which is an arbitrary accomplishment in itself. Der.

I've seen finals teams that were inferior to "literal" first round teams. Step it up.

That aside, show me when STOCKTON led HIS team that far. Pretty sure the more productive mvp of the league was leading his team while OLD *** Stockton was resting.

Chronz
02-10-2017, 03:32 AM
Wasn't it more Malone's team though?
Shhh. Arbitrary is arbitrary

Chronz
02-10-2017, 03:46 AM

Lol. A historic defense being led by an inferior defender but because of those moments ( whilst ignoring the majority of a series/game) he's better? Plz, Zeke wasn't winning **** before his defenders got elite

ewing
02-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Which is an arbitrary accomplishment in itself. Der.

I've seen finals teams that were inferior to "literal" first round teams. Step it up.

That aside, show me when STOCKTON led HIS team that far. Pretty sure the more productive mvp of the league was leading his team while OLD *** Stockton was resting.

I don't see anything random about judging based on how close you come to the ultimate goal (winning a title).

Chronz
02-10-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't see anything random about judging based on how close you come to the ultimate goal (winning a title).
Coming close is an arbitrary accomplishment. You don't have to agree but the stance is clear. I have more respect for a team that attains a higher level of play but just so happens to lose sooner as a result of his bracket than the team that just isn't up to sniff.

You're not closer to a title by being the inferior team to one that loses sooner unless you understand the arbitrary nature of such a goal.

europagnpilgrim
02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Lol. A historic defense being led by an inferior defender but because of those moments ( whilst ignoring the majority of a series/game) he's better? Plz, Zeke wasn't winning **** before his defenders got elite

outside of Rodman who could actually lock down a man? Dumars was solid as well but knocking players to the ground doesn't make you elite, more like trying to punk a player but nothing elite, clothesline and headshots and setting punishing screens don't make you elite defender

he was the superior offensive guy/engine so boo hoo if he had defenders around him, he still could have 4 peated like I mentioned if not for a couple bad breaks and still won two, he was the force behind those teams no matter how inferior he was on defense, CP3 hasn't won **** with neither a lesser talented roster in N.O. or the superior one in LA so when in the **** is he going to do something?

whats so funny is I bet you don't have Salley/Edwards/Laimbeer in your top 10 defenders all time but I bet Rodman probably is because he was the only one worthy and Dumars would be a top 10 SG defender I would imagine, and we all know Dantley/Aguirre/Johnson weren't known to be lockdown defenders if my memory serves me correct

laugh away all you want but he is not a amped up version of Zeke, no way no how, The Answer was though

Chronz
02-10-2017, 03:15 PM
outside of Rodman who could actually lock down a man? Dumars was solid as well but knocking players to the ground doesn't make you elite, more like trying to punk a player but nothing elite, clothesline and headshots and setting punishing screens don't make you elite defender

he was the superior offensive guy/engine so boo hoo if he had defenders around him, he still could have 4 peated like I mentioned if not for a couple bad breaks and still won two, he was the force behind those teams no matter how inferior he was on defense, CP3 hasn't won **** with neither a lesser talented roster in N.O. or the superior one in LA so when in the **** is he going to do something?

whats so funny is I bet you don't have Salley/Edwards/Laimbeer in your top 10 defenders all time but I bet Rodman probably is because he was the only one worthy and Dumars would be a top 10 SG defender I would imagine, and we all know Dantley/Aguirre/Johnson weren't known to be lockdown defenders if my memory serves me correct

laugh away all you want but he is not a amped up version of Zeke, no way no how, The Answer was though
I don't know why i should take your opinion over the actual results. Just cuz you don't recognize the defensive support doesn't change how elite DETROIT was on D. Now imagine that D with a better defender...

Agree to disagree on the roster but wake me up when cp3 has a historic defense behind him the way zeke did.

AI wasn't even close to these guys so you can put that to bed. AI would've found a way to lose with as much support as Zeke had and would utterly fail trying to lead as a pg

Edit: lol at outside rodman. As if subtracting a dpoy calibre player is so easy with that squad. Look up their record with and without rodman then talk to me. Where was zeke those days? Chauncey billups has a ring, cp3 still better than him too

Blitzbolt
02-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Grizzlies fan here we kind have a rivalry with the clippers and I think we are 2 and 1 in playoff series during cp3 era.

Anyways to awnser the question NO everyone has injury's come playoff time that's not an excuse.I think it's the culture all the flopping and crying cost them a few playoff series.

Flopping and dunks are not gonna get you a tittle and I think CP3 didn't understand that a few years ago I think they know that now but the west just got stronger and the window is now tighter.

ManRam
02-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Anyways to awnser the question NO everyone has injury's come playoff time that's not an excuse.I think it's the culture all the flopping and crying cost them a few playoff series.

Flopping and dunks are not gonna get you a tittle and I think CP3 didn't understand that a few years ago I think they know that now but the west just got stronger and the window is now tighter.

This is pure nonsense.

Chronz
02-10-2017, 08:54 PM
This is pure nonsense. Cp3 took a decade to learn dunks don't win you titles. Maybe defense does, you know, the one weakness in cp3 i suppose

Cracka2HI!
02-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Man the Clipps/Grizz used to have a great rivalry. There were a couple great Grizz fans that posted here. I think they were Ms Grizz and Fadeaway. Only the troll has remained :sigh:

europagnpilgrim
02-11-2017, 12:44 AM
I don't know why i should take your opinion over the actual results. Just cuz you don't recognize the defensive support doesn't change how elite DETROIT was on D. Now imagine that D with a better defender...

Agree to disagree on the roster but wake me up when cp3 has a historic defense behind him the way zeke did.

AI wasn't even close to these guys so you can put that to bed. AI would've found a way to lose with as much support as Zeke had and would utterly fail trying to lead as a pg

Edit: lol at outside rodman. As if subtracting a dpoy calibre player is so easy with that squad. Look up their record with and without rodman then talk to me. Where was zeke those days? Chauncey billups has a ring, cp3 still better than him too

my factual opinion is based on the results they showed on the court, they were bullies on the court and so much that the so called fake GOAT Jordan cried to the media about it before he could get over the hump, I recognize the support on defense just like Zeke would and could take over the games on the other end, now imagine that D with a worse offensive player and you had to rely on old man Aguirre and Rodman and Salley and Laimbeer to score during the game and crunchtime, see how that works?

who cares about historic defense because CP3 has been on this Clippers team and has failed(or just not able) to rise to the occasion like Zeke could and pull out a Finals trip if he was that guy, and I am a CP3 supporter to the fullest but call a spade a spade and move on

The Answer never had offense(go to guys) support like Zeke or this current Clippers squad and took a team further than CP3 ever has, The Answer and Zeke are just alike in take over ability/killer instinct/toughness/heart, so you can make that bed and lay in it over and over, The Answer always over achieved in the playoffs or maxed out, Indiana teams were better when they lost and that Lakers team both times were better(add Denver) and that Spurs team was also so if he found a way to lose to a superior team then you lost me there jack

CP3 has all nba caliber players and cant muster 1 finals trip while The Answer did it with a rag tag bunch and both had 6th man of year players and we all know Crawford ***** on Mckie, Redick is better than Snow for what both players would rather have(CP3 nor Snow can play the SG like The Answer could) and Blake is better than Lynch/Hill on his worst injured day, 34 yr old Mutombo is not better than a 25yr old Jordan and only other advantage the Sixers had was Brown over Rivers

Rodman was the only all nba caliber defender on that team, and possibly J Dumars but the others played bully ball, like the Knicks when they had Oakley/Mason

Billups wasn't the engine/soul on that team like Zeke was to his, it was Wallace/coach and of course CP3 is better than Billups, don't know where you were trying to take that but we are talking about CP3 being a amped up version of Zeke and its not that way at all, like I said he is a amped up version of Kidd minus the rebounds with better perimeter shot

Zeke/The Answer are cut from the same cloth - https://youtu.be/iLhxF8PYcW4

agree to disagree but respect the game both displayed

JasonJohnHorn
02-11-2017, 01:28 AM

Zeke had a better cast then CP3 ever had. CP3 is a better shooter, and better scorer, and an infinitely better defender. And guess what. A better playmaker to. I can't think of a single thing that Zeke did better other than have a better cast that feature and All-Star/MVP shooting guard (Joe D) and two-time DPOY (Rodman) and All-Str center in Laimbeer, and an All-Star forward on Mark Aguirre. Not to mention a strong bench with Vinnie Johnson and a front court rotation that featured John Salley, James Edwards, and Rick MaHorn.

You put CP3 on that Pistons team, and not only do they certainly have a 3-peat, they very likely would have still be able to challenge the Bulls in 92 and certainly wouldn't have been swept out of the playoffs.

If you can quantify Zek being better than CP3 with anything other than a ring count, which is dependant on the supporting cast and context, I'd be curious to hear it.

Paul is on his way to leading the league in steals for the seventh time (Thomas never pulled that off), and has led the league in assists four times (Thomas only did it once). He's a better rebounder, a better defender. Better playmaker (more assists per game, more assists per 36, and almost 1.5 times the assists per 100 possessions, all while racking up significantly less turnovers. Oh, and significantly higher percentages across the board (FG, 3pt, 2pt, and FT).

But let me guess... you did an eye test and Thomas is better. Right?

JasonJohnHorn
02-11-2017, 01:33 AM

Chronz.... don't waste your time. This is the guy who said LSU Shaq was just as good as Lakers Shaq. Whatever stats you throw at him, he'll just respond with 'eye test' and then tell you he played against NBA players who complimented his game and that his gf likes to watch him play basketball with his friends. It is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

Chronz
02-12-2017, 08:02 PM
my factual opinion is ...
Hate to cut you off but there is no such thing. Your opinion is your opinion, you may think its based on facts but I have a different interpretation of the game and its players.

based on the results they showed on the court, they were bullies on the court and so much that the so called fake GOAT Jordan cried to the media about it before he could get over the hump, I recognize the support on defense just like Zeke would and could take over the games on the other end, now imagine that D with a worse offensive player and you had to rely on old man Aguirre and Rodman and Salley and Laimbeer to score during the game and crunchtime, see how that works?

Except thats not how it works, CP3 is the better 2-way player and his superior efficiency and playmaking/passing/ball protection would have made them better on both ends, you can argue offensive abilities for both, what you cant is their defensive ability. And again, if they were already winning based on their defense and if they add a better defender, I dont see why their winning formula would change.

who cares about historic defense
Anyone with a brain to know the importance it plays on WINNING. If defense historically what wins championships, and you had a historic defense, then its kind of important bud.

because CP3 has been on this Clippers team and has failed(or just not able) to rise to the occasion like Zeke could and pull out a Finals trip if he was that guy, and I am a CP3 supporter to the fullest but call a spade a spade and move on

Nah, you definitely dont know what a spade looks like.

The Answer never had offense(go to guys) support like Zeke or this current Clippers squad and took a team further than CP3 ever has,
So? Hes never defeated a team as great as the ones CP3 has so why would I care? AI simply couldn't produce at a high level if he had to share the ball either.

The Answer and Zeke are just alike in take over ability/killer instinct/toughness/heart, so you can make that bed and lay in it over and over, The Answer always over achieved in the playoffs or maxed out, Indiana teams were better when they lost and that Lakers team both times were better(add Denver) and that Spurs team was also so if he found a way to lose to a superior team then you lost me there jack

Nah, he underachieved in his run to the Finals, at best he played up to par. And its not so much that he lost, its that he went down like a chump. I remember that Spurs loss, dude was locked the **** up and lit up on the other end. Can you give ANY evidence to back your claims about whatever series wins you want to bring up?

CP3 has all nba caliber players and cant muster 1 finals trip while The Answer did it with a rag tag bunch and both had 6th man of year players and we all know Crawford ***** on Mckie, Redick is better than Snow for what both players would rather have(CP3 nor Snow can play the SG like The Answer could) and Blake is better than Lynch/Hill on his worst injured day, 34 yr old Mutombo is not better than a 25yr old Jordan and only other advantage the Sixers had was Brown over Rivers
AI did it with the best support in his conference and he still almost failed them. Why would I care about your inane breakdown when it ignores the disparity in competition? Put these Clippers in THAT East and they SMASH the conference. LOL at playing SG like AI could, NEWSFLASH, THEY ARE MIDGETS. They should be learning how to play the position they could actually defend. AI playing the SG is the EXACT reason hes not in their class. He didn't master either position, he was a liability defensively at the 2, which is why he forced his PG's to guard them and he killed ball movement at the 1. AI loses in every situation given here.

Rodman was the only all nba caliber defender on that team, and possibly J Dumars but the others played bully ball, like the Knicks when they had Oakley/Mason

Again, why would I care about your opinion over the fact that it led to a historic defense? I dont care what you call them, all I care about is what they actually produced, and they produced a HISTORIC DEFENSE. Wake me up when CP3 has that, then I'll care.

Billups wasn't the engine/soul on that team like Zeke was to his, it was Wallace/coach and of course CP3 is better than Billups, don't know where you were trying to take that but we are talking about CP3 being a amped up version of Zeke and its not that way at all, like I said he is a amped up version of Kidd minus the rebounds with better perimeter shot

I thought you called a spade a spade? If Ben was the soul why did the team lose so much with him, continue contending once he left whereas with Billups they only won with him and they fell apart once he left. Remember, Billups turned the same team AI was choking with in R.1 into a WC Finalist and Detroit went to ****. Billups was the teams best player and the F.MVP. Billups is another guy who fits championship teams better than AI too.

Zeke/The Answer are cut from the same cloth - https://youtu.be/iLhxF8PYcW4

agree to disagree but respect the game both displayed

Thats cute, Im talking about impact tho. Both of them are beneath CP3 but I wouldn't go as far as saying Zeke is as bad as AI man, thats disrespecting the game displayed.

Jamiecballer
02-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Yeah maybe

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

nastynice
02-12-2017, 09:09 PM
I doubt it. Past two years the warriors represented the west in the finals, meaning the road would have had to gone through us, which I'm pretty confident that they can't do. Especially in a 7 game series.