PDA

View Full Version : Has Phil Jackson gone mad or just trying to destroy the knicks?

More-Than-Most
02-08-2017, 01:59 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18640447/phil-jackson-tweets-shot-carmelo-anthony-escalates-feud

Like honestly wtf lol.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-08-2017, 03:12 AM
Or he just wants Melo out of NY?

dhopisthename
02-08-2017, 03:25 AM
Or he just wants Melo out of NY?

yeah I think Melo has said he isn't going to waive his no trade clause and Phil wants to piss him off so much he waives it.

kingsdelez24
02-08-2017, 04:54 AM
Hebwent mad giving a proven selfish player like melo a no trade clause and max deal

PowerHouse
02-08-2017, 09:15 AM
They weren't already destroyed?

:confused:

FlashBolt
02-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Phil is a total joke. Why did this idiot think Melo was on the same level as Kobe and Jordan...? He only knows how to coach one way: Give me three all-stars.

MJL80
02-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Not sure what Dolan is thinking keeping Phil around

IndyRealist
02-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Phil's controlling the narrative, making sure Melo is seen as the disgruntled malcontent holding the team hostage with his NTC. It's really the only play Phil has.

lakerfan85
02-08-2017, 10:01 AM
I think he's trying to get fired..

Wade n Fade
02-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Or perhaps he's just an unqualified FO executive?

GiantsSwaGG
02-08-2017, 03:13 PM
I think he's trying to get fired..

I'm starting to believe this....

When Melo resigned and gotten the NTC that had Jim Dolan written all over it. And that's why I believe dint is hiding because most of this is his fault. That's why Donnie Walsh stepped down, same with Dantoni. It was clear Phil didn't want Melo in the first place. Melo never changed his game and to make matters worse, when the whole "POSSE" situation arised, Melo threw Phil under the bus. I'm starting to believe Phil is trying to force Dolan's hand.

Question I know if Phil is fired, he will still receive the money he's owed in his contract but is that the same if you step down?

GiantsSwaGG
02-08-2017, 03:14 PM
when you step down, do you forfeit the remaining salary on the contract?

Pierzynski4Prez
02-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Phil was never qualified to be a front office exec anyhow. I never understood the love he got when hired. He was a good coach, and a very lucky coach. As a GM, he shouldn't have dictated the type of offense the Knicks would run from day 1. That was his biggest problem. If you want to run the triangle on NY, then be the damn coach. Don't force it on other coaches and a roster that isn't suited for it.

In regards to Melo. His antics have done nothing but show how unqualified/unprepared he is as a GM. His tweets and comments to the media have done nothing but lower the potential return he'd be able to get if they found a suitor. I'd fire him ASAP if I was Dolan.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-08-2017, 03:17 PM
when you step down, do you forfeit the remaining salary on the contract?

Yes, otherwise what would stop someone from signing a multi-year deal, and just resign the next day to only get paid for the duration of the contract to do nothing.

GiantsSwaGG
02-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Yes, otherwise what would stop someone from signing a multi-year deal, and just resign the next day to only get paid for the duration of the contract to do nothing.

Ok so yeah Phil probably trying to get fired and still get paid

lakerfan85
02-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Ok so yeah Phil probably trying to get fired and still get paid

Yep! He's got to get paid so he can head off to Montana and smoke that green..

AI
02-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Phil Jackson‘s veiled criticisms of Carmelo Anthony have raised eyebrows around the NBA, and player agents have taken notice of the Knicks president’s behavior. Multiple “prominent agents” have told Ian Begley of ESPN.com that Jackson’s handling of the Anthony situation would turn off their own clients – and others – to the idea of joining the franchise in free agency.

According to Begley, several people in the Knicks’ front office think that the team would be best off trading Anthony in order to focus on building around players like Kristaps Porzingis and Willy Hernangomez. While that may be true, Anthony has a no-trade clause and has expressed a strong preference to remain in New York.

Rather than accepting that stance and exploring other ways to improve the club’s outlook, Jackson appears to be prodding Anthony in an effort to encourage him to waive that no-trade clause. The merits of that approach are debatable — Jackson has been known to use the media in the past to manipulate certain situations and motivate players. However, those tactics looked savvier when he was presiding over championship rosters and getting quantitative results. Based on Begley’s conversations with agents, it seems as though players around the league are unimpressed with Jackson’s actions this season.

AI
02-08-2017, 05:23 PM
When you put the "lord of the rings" talk to the side and look at things for what they actually are, Phil has been a complete failure as an executive. His coaching resume does not give him a pass nor does it make him smarter than any other executive, in fact, I think he's quite terrible.

First, he took over a team that wasn't nearly as bad as the teams that he has created ever since taking over the Knicks. He tried to force the triangle on that team, which clearly wasn't built to run that system, and it completely backfired with the Knicks regressing so badly that Phil ultimately traded Tyson, J.R. and Shumpert for Calderon and guys that aren't even in the NBA anymore (Dalembert, Thanasis, Larkin, Early). He sold the few assets he had at that time for pennies on the dollar.

He then hired a first time coach, one of his pupils, and forced the triangle on him too when the roster still wasn't built to run that type of system and the players didn't like it either. Why? Because it's an outdated system which is built on things that don't work anymore in today's NBA.

For people that believe that Melo is holding the Knicks hostage with the NTC, think for a second, it was Phil who gave him that clause PLUS he also gave him a 15% trade kicker. It's his own fault and now he's trying to make a scapegoat for a move that was his fault from the beginning.

Knicks have had max cap space these last 3 offseason and the Knicks have absolutely NOTHING to show for it. His big acquisitions have been: Robin Lopez, Aaron Afflalo, Derrick Rose, Courtney Lee and Joakim Noah. So, if he's not content with the current outlook of this team, it was his own doing since he has failed miserably.

He continues to get a pass for drafting Porzingis when it is well known that it was his advisor Gaines who strongly lobbied for the Knicks to draft KP that draft. Gaines is also responsible for Willy Hernangomez.

I'm not drinking the Phil Jackson kool-aid because of his coaching career, as an executive he has absolutely sucked and his handling of the Melo situation now is only making things worse. Players and agents all see that, so if our chances of adding marquee FA's were already slim due to all the losing seasons, now they are even worse with how he has decided to openly criticize his best player. Regardless of how you may feel about Melo as a player, he is well respected around the league amongst his peers.

The only good thing Phil has done since he's got here has been not trading our future picks, that is all. Everything else, he's been a completely and utter disaster. He talked about creating a winning culture, about there being a clear direction for the organization and none of that is even close to being true. He's been through 3 head coaches already and 3 different system. He hasn't rebuilt and he hasn't built a contender, the team has just been going through the motions these past few years with him completely changing the roster every offseason, there has been no consistency which in part is a major reason why the team has no chemistry because they always have to start from scratch.

GiantsSwaGG
02-08-2017, 05:36 PM
I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about the Sixers, they will be dangerous in a year or 2 and that's without a marquee FA. Idgaf about FA man, let's start developing players. We signed Noah to a ridiculous contract when we already had a center who's better in Willy for cheap. We need to start building thru the draft. I'm happy FA aren't interested in coming, might force us to rebuild the right way!

mrblisterdundee
02-08-2017, 05:46 PM
yeah I think Melo has said he isn't going to waive his no trade clause and Phil wants to piss him off so much he waives it.

Bingo. Considering how high Anthony is on himself, I can understand Jackson's shadow warfare to a certain extent. Wear Anthony down until he agrees to stop being an albatross.
Maybe when he gave Anthony that no-trade clause, Jackson thought he would be a nice holdover to keep people in the seats and eventually become the third banana behind Porzingis and an alpha.

Cracka2HI!
02-08-2017, 09:43 PM
I hear Charles Oakley is a big fan of what's going on in NY.

pebloemer
02-08-2017, 10:05 PM
I hear Charles Oakley is a big fan of what's going on in NY.

Lol

PowerHouse
02-09-2017, 09:13 AM
He only knows how to coach one way: Give me three all-stars.

That's almost every championship team though.

I guess Popovich only knows that way too.

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Phil's controlling the narrative, making sure Melo is seen as the disgruntled malcontent holding the team hostage with his NTC. It's really the only play Phil has.

It's a horrible play...you need to try to add players. When a front office guy does this then it may turn off a ton of players.

Also lets not act like Phil Jackson has ever done a good job in the front office....he is a great coach, he managed personalities and led 2 teams to titles...but he is a terrible front office person.

mike_noodles
02-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Or perhaps he's just an unqualified FO executive?

Yup.

Vinylman
02-09-2017, 10:27 AM
When you put the "lord of the rings" talk to the side and look at things for what they actually are, Phil has been a complete failure as an executive. His coaching resume does not give him a pass nor does it make him smarter than any other executive, in fact, I think he's quite terrible.

First, he took over a team that wasn't nearly as bad as the teams that he has created ever since taking over the Knicks. He tried to force the triangle on that team, which clearly wasn't built to run that system, and it completely backfired with the Knicks regressing so badly that Phil ultimately traded Tyson, J.R. and Shumpert for Calderon and guys that aren't even in the NBA anymore (Dalembert, Thanasis, Larkin, Early). He sold the few assets he had at that time for pennies on the dollar.

He then hired a first time coach, one of his pupils, and forced the triangle on him too when the roster still wasn't built to run that type of system and the players didn't like it either. Why? Because it's an outdated system which is built on things that don't work anymore in today's NBA.

For people that believe that Melo is holding the Knicks hostage with the NTC, think for a second, it was Phil who gave him that clause PLUS he also gave him a 15% trade kicker. It's his own fault and now he's trying to make a scapegoat for a move that was his fault from the beginning.

Knicks have had max cap space these last 3 offseason and the Knicks have absolutely NOTHING to show for it. His big acquisitions have been: Robin Lopez, Aaron Afflalo, Derrick Rose, Courtney Lee and Joakim Noah. So, if he's not content with the current outlook of this team, it was his own doing since he has failed miserably.

He continues to get a pass for drafting Porzingis when it is well known that it was his advisor Gaines who strongly lobbied for the Knicks to draft KP that draft. Gaines is also responsible for Willy Hernangomez.

I'm not drinking the Phil Jackson kool-aid because of his coaching career, as an executive he has absolutely sucked and his handling of the Melo situation now is only making things worse. Players and agents all see that, so if our chances of adding marquee FA's were already slim due to all the losing seasons, now they are even worse with how he has decided to openly criticize his best player. Regardless of how you may feel about Melo as a player, he is well respected around the league amongst his peers.

The only good thing Phil has done since he's got here has been not trading our future picks, that is all. Everything else, he's been a completely and utter disaster. He talked about creating a winning culture, about there being a clear direction for the organization and none of that is even close to being true. He's been through 3 head coaches already and 3 different system. He hasn't rebuilt and he hasn't built a contender, the team has just been going through the motions these past few years with him completely changing the roster every offseason, there has been no consistency which in part is a major reason why the team has no chemistry because they always have to start from scratch.

meh... not a big fan of Phil in the FO but you overlook the most glaring problem

the douche that owns the team... he is the common denominator... he has run off many good people

If you don't think Dolan was the driver behind the NTC and the trade kicker you are kidding yourself.

Vinylman
02-09-2017, 10:29 AM
It's a horrible play...you need to try to add players. When a front office guy does this then it may turn off a ton of players.

Also lets not act like Phil Jackson has ever done a good job in the front office....he is a great coach, he managed personalities and led 2 teams to titles...but he is a terrible front office person.

laughable... the FA's the knicks actually have a shot at don't give a **** about all that noise

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2017, 10:37 AM
laughable... the FA's the knicks actually have a shot at don't give a **** about all that noise

I get your point, but I don't agree....even with them overpaying guys so they can bring someone in, they will still care about the possibility of the front office turning on them.

Vinylman
02-09-2017, 10:53 AM
I get your point, but I don't agree....even with them overpaying guys so they can bring someone in, they will still care about the possibility of the front office turning on them.

You are confused... the FO would never "turn" on a player who doesn't have a NTC because it would diminish their value...

the only reason we are talking about the Melo/Phil situation is because of the NTC... if he didn't have it he would have been gone at least a year ago...

NTC's are super rare and it was obviously Dolan who agreed to it. This situation will never arise again with current FA's

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2017, 11:04 AM
You are confused... the FO would never "turn" on a player who doesn't have a NTC because it would diminish their value...

the only reason we are talking about the Melo/Phil situation is because of the NTC... if he didn't have it he would have been gone at least a year ago...

NTC's are super rare and it was obviously Dolan who agreed to it. This situation will never arise again with current FA's

I get your point about the NTC, but regardless of the NTC, a guy in the front office doing this looks bad and will turn players and some agents off.

R. Johnson#3
02-09-2017, 12:58 PM
I never thought I'd say this but I actually feel bad for Knicks fans. Phil is a goof and he already sunk the Knicks with the Rose trade and Noah signing. Now he's coming after his star player who he himself signed? Dolan needs to can Phil ASAP. The Knicks are on a bad path and nothing is going to get better.