PDA

View Full Version : Report: NBA also reduces projected 2018-19 salary cap to $103 million - See more at:

More-Than-Most
02-07-2017, 11:33 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/report-nba-also-reduces-projected-201819-salary-cap-to-103-million-453475.html

is this a big deal and for who? seems like teams spent last year thinking they would have a ton this year and thats about 8 million or so less and there are reports that it might come in even less than that when the actual numbers come out.

Scoots
02-08-2017, 12:37 AM
Some of us talked about the likelihood of this happening during this last season's free agent frenzy. A bunch of teams and players are going to have to modify their plans.

The lower cap and the designated player rule will probably mean that KD and Curry won't get max deals, so, if they demand max deals they may be looking for a new team. Not that it's likely.

More-Than-Most
02-08-2017, 01:52 AM
yea lots of teams that made horrid deals were expected 110 plus mill and so on... this really seems like a kick in the nuts esp with teams that ran out and over spent on mediocrity or bad players... 103 might be wishful thinking as well with some projected 100-101... it might not seem like a big deal but 10 million less then expected sucks big time esp when you factor in how bad players got 70 million plus... the market value bar was set so bad players are gonna be expected to get big contracts like a turner got even if the cap isnt what people thought it would be

HandsOnTheWheel
02-08-2017, 01:56 AM
Those Mozgov and Deng contracts continue to look worse.

dhopisthename
02-08-2017, 03:24 AM
Some of us talked about the likelihood of this happening during this last season's free agent frenzy. A bunch of teams and players are going to have to modify their plans.

The lower cap and the designated player rule will probably mean that KD and Curry won't get max deals, so, if they demand max deals they may be looking for a new team. Not that it's likely.

I was going to ask I heard that a lower cap affected if the warriors could keep durant. with a quick cap check I think they keep both at a full max if Durant signs his max first and the warriors cut everyone elses cap holds. considering the players that would mean they have to cut it would certainly be worth it.

Scoots
02-08-2017, 08:50 AM
I was going to ask I heard that a lower cap affected if the warriors could keep durant. with a quick cap check I think they keep both at a full max if Durant signs his max first and the warriors cut everyone elses cap holds. considering the players that would mean they have to cut it would certainly be worth it.

Yeah, with the Warriors under the tax this year they will have to waive their rights on all of the free agents except Curry, max KD, then max Curry, then probably use the MLE to get a center, then a bunch of minimum contracts. But if Curry and KD like playing with players like Livingston and Iguodala they may be asked to opt to accept a little short of the max. Of course, most of that was true before the cap went down for the Warriors anyhow.

Regardless, the smaller cap is going to hurt some teams a players ... but only in that the players agents told them to "expect" more money than is going to be available.

Giannis94
02-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Thanks mj. You da bestest .

Vinylman
02-08-2017, 09:06 AM

yep... the AAV was never the issue with those two deals... it was always the length

Dade County
02-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Tough news

JLynn943
02-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Luckily for the Kings no one took the contracts we offered... err, um... I mean, luckily Vlade didn't give out any terrible contracts and we will be okay.

Hawkeye15
02-08-2017, 10:34 AM
many of those deals signed last summer will end up biting the teams later on. Most of them, it's not the per year amount, it's that length of contract that some of these end up being.

Whatever, a bunch of us called this. And I have zip sympathy.

tp13baby
02-08-2017, 10:50 AM

They have bird rights to a lot of good talent though. Zubac/Randle/Ingram/Clarkson/Russ progress it doesn't even matter.

Charlotte is in some trouble. Miami. LA. Teams that aren't there that need help but won't have cap.

Minnesota Philly Denver Utah all teams that have a ton of cap that can outspend some teams.

tredigs
02-08-2017, 12:28 PM
This is why you don't take on Plumlee's contract if you're the Bobcats. Another significant cap rise wasn't guaranteed.

Vee-Rex
02-08-2017, 01:10 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how this impacts the Warriors. Joe Lacob's pockets aren't super deep. Steph is gonna get the max, and KD will make less money if he opts in or signs another one year deal compared to just getting maxed out. Either way, they're gonna be in luxury tax hell.

LA4life24/8
02-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Yeaah... as stated a lot of us saw this coming. And with no amnesty, kinda sucks lol. But thats what you get when the cap raises sky high. Mediocre talent gets crazy money. A lot of teams over spent on garbage, sucks but it is what it is.

Vinylman
02-08-2017, 01:15 PM
many of those deals signed last summer will end up biting the teams later on. Most of them, it's not the per year amount, it's that length of contract that some of these end up being.

Whatever, a bunch of us called this. And I have zip sympathy.

Agreed on all of that ...

what really is shocking though is that the owners had to have had a sense that this was going to happen yet they didn't put an amnesty provision in the CBA...

It will be interesting to see what happens but I actually think the lower increase combined with Higher max salaries could actually bring greater balance to the league...

GS timing on FA's and underpaying Curry vis a vis the initial explosion in the cap will never happen again...

On the flip side... teams like Portland are ****ed

Giannis94
02-08-2017, 01:18 PM
I wish the cap bubble would of it in 2012-2013. Harden woulda resiggned and OKC would be in the midst of a dynasty.

mightybosstone
02-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Yeah, with the Warriors under the tax this year they will have to waive their rights on all of the free agents except Curry, max KD, then max Curry, then probably use the MLE to get a center, then a bunch of minimum contracts. But if Curry and KD like playing with players like Livingston and Iguodala they may be asked to opt to accept a little short of the max. Of course, most of that was true before the cap went down for the Warriors anyhow.

Regardless, the smaller cap is going to hurt some teams a players ... but only in that the players agents told them to "expect" more money than is going to be available.

If they end up maxing Curry and Durant, it will be interesting to see what that means for Thompson. Because he'll be a free agent two years later. And locking up Curry and Durant is essentially preventing him from ever getting a max deal with Golden State. Obviously he's locked in for another two years, but I'm curious to see if he gets dealt before that contract ends.

But Durant is obviously the outlier here. Curry is probably a lock to re-sign. But I wouldn't call Durant a lock at this point. And if the Warriors ask him to take a pay cut, I definitely don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he's a Warrior next season.

Vinylman
02-08-2017, 01:39 PM
If they end up maxing Curry and Durant, it will be interesting to see what that means for Thompson. Because he'll be a free agent two years later. And locking up Curry and Durant is essentially preventing him from ever getting a max deal with Golden State. Obviously he's locked in for another two years, but I'm curious to see if he gets dealt before that contract ends.

But Durant is obviously the outlier here. Curry is probably a lock to re-sign. But I wouldn't call Durant a lock at this point. And if the Warriors ask him to take a pay cut, I definitely don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he's a Warrior next season.

Durant isn't going to switch teams again this offseason...

what you should really be asking yourself is how are they going to replace Livingston and Iggy's production... especially the flexibility they have on D.

Wade n Fade
02-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Is there a NBA mandate to have jersey advertising deals by a certain date? With the advertising revenue, you would think the projected cap could go up?

Vinylman
02-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Is there a NBA mandate to have jersey advertising deals by a certain date? With the advertising revenue, you would think the projected cap could go up?

Pretty irrelevant money wise ... about $100 million a year in 17/18 on top of a base of $7 Billion (1.4%)

Not to mention it is already baked into the projected Cap #'s

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15210151/nba-jerseys-carry-advertisements-beginning-2017-18

mightybosstone
02-08-2017, 04:40 PM

what you should really be asking yourself is how are they going to replace Livingston and Iggy's production... especially the flexibility they have on D.

If you're Golden State, you just pray you can get really good veteran players to play for a fraction of what they're worth to chase championships. But as the cap keeps increasing and contracts get larger, I think that is going to continue to be more difficult to quality rotational guys to swallow. It's one thing if you're a veteran and you take a paycut from like $4 million-$5 million a year to $1 million a year to play for a champion. But what if you could get $10 million+ a season? Are you going to want to play for the veteran minimum then?

And, honestly, even with no bench, that Warriors team is more than capable of winning multiple championships. But if one of their big four goes down and they have to turn to scrubs to replace that production...

Hawkeye15
02-08-2017, 05:01 PM

they still aren't keeping Green, Curry, Durant, and Thompson. Someone is out. Thompson is my guess.

BKLYNpigeon
02-08-2017, 05:05 PM
The Warriors are not dumb. They will keep that Core 4 together and going deep into the Tax. I remember Zach Lowe saying that what the Warriors made last season in the playoffs is more then what most teams make all year. Im pretty sure they wont care about paying for the tax multiple years.

Livingston and Iggy probably leave for one last payday.

If depth really becomes an Issue, Im sure the Warriors woulnt mind trading Klay or Draymond for some role platers and draft picks.

Wade n Fade
02-08-2017, 11:34 PM
Pretty irrelevant money wise ... about $100 million a year in 17/18 on top of a base of $7 Billion (1.4%)

Not to mention it is already baked into the projected Cap #'s

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15210151/nba-jerseys-carry-advertisements-beginning-2017-18

Damn, didn't even think about the %s. Thanks for that.

TrueFan420
02-08-2017, 11:54 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how this impacts the Warriors. Joe Lacob's pockets aren't super deep. Steph is gonna get the max, and KD will make less money if he opts in or signs another one year deal compared to just getting maxed out. Either way, they're gonna be in luxury tax hell.
Joe Lacob isn't the only owner. It's a group. He's just the face of the group. Not necessarily the deepest pockets of the group either. I think Steph and KD will be offered the exact same deal. Not 1 higher than the other. Luxury tax will be high but they will be/are making stupid amounts of money off their success and stars.

TrueFan420
02-09-2017, 12:00 AM

Organization is very high on McCaw. He's a big combo guard in the mold of how we use Livingston. Less of a PG and more of a SG but still capable passer and long. Also I'm high on Looney. Vets will come from less but that can't be counted on. The real key will be to draft well at the end of the draft and develop players to fill in.

Scoots
02-09-2017, 12:07 AM

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that ANYONE will stay around. It's entirely possible the Warriors make a pitch to both to leave a little money on the table. They did with Thompson and Green ... Thompson gave a little back, Green gave a lot more. Curry is going to make a lot of money around the NBA and him staying for a little less to protect the team and to renew solidarity with KD isn't outrageous ... but nothing is certain and them asking him may piss him off and send him out looking for money elsewhere even though it would almost certainly be less.

Vinylman
02-09-2017, 01:31 PM
they still aren't keeping Green, Curry, Durant, and Thompson. Someone is out. Thompson is my guess.

I totally agree... he will be a Laker at some point if Luke is there and because of his Dad..

However, I don't think they make that change this offseason

Vinylman
02-09-2017, 01:37 PM
The Warriors are not dumb. They will keep that Core 4 together and going deep into the Tax. I remember Zach Lowe saying that what the Warriors made last season in the playoffs is more then what most teams make all year. Im pretty sure they wont care about paying for the tax multiple years.

Livingston and Iggy probably leave for one last payday.

If depth really becomes an Issue, Im sure the Warriors woulnt mind trading Klay or Draymond for some role platers and draft picks.

They continue to raise the **** out of game tickets to cover the projected shortfall.

I don't know where Lowe is getting his numbers but I find that hard to believe when you look at how much Cleveland lost as a team last year ($45 million)... Clevelands payroll and LT was definitely higher but it isn't like GS's won't be at the same level soon after they pay Curry...

And don't forget Green/Thompson won't get paid as the top guy if they re-sign

Vee-Rex
02-09-2017, 03:07 PM
They continue to raise the **** out of game tickets to cover the projected shortfall.

I don't know where Lowe is getting his numbers but I find that hard to believe when you look at how much Cleveland lost as a team last year ($45 million)... Clevelands payroll and LT was definitely higher but it isn't like GS's won't be at the same level soon after they pay Curry...

And don't forget Green/Thompson won't get paid as the top guy if they re-sign

This.

You guys are naive if you think that the Warriors 'simply won't care' about the luxury tax. Yeah, they'll offer Durant/Curry whatever they want but the luxury tax will be insane.

These are approximate numbers:

The Cavs are currently 34 million over the cap (128mill total team salary while the team cap is 94mill).

The Warriors are currently 7 million over the cap (101mill total team salary while the team cap is 94mill).

If the Warriors max Durant and Steph next year, they will be at approximately 126 million. That means their two biggest bench pieces are gone (Iggy/Livingston), and after that they are STILL in the luxury tax.

In fact, The total GSW roster if KD/Curry are maxed will be: Steph, Klay, KD, Green, Kevin Looney, Damian Jones, Patrick McCaw.... 7 total players and they will STILL be over the cap. That's without the bigger contract Klay will demand in a couple years.

Filling out the roster with minimum contracts will be repeated luxury tax penalty over and over. Dan Gilbert is worth over 5 billion alone and he's fighting tooth and nail to avoid those luxury penalties... you guys are really fooling yourselves if you don't think Joe Lacob and whoever else will care.

Vee-Rex
02-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Don't be surprised if Klay or Green is traded if Durant (we know Steph will) signs a max contract.

tredigs
02-09-2017, 03:27 PM
After his contract is up on 2020 I could see him leaving, but I don't see a scenario where all 4 aren't here until at least that point.

Vinylman
02-09-2017, 03:36 PM
After his contract is up on 2020 I could see him leaving, but I don't see a scenario where all 4 aren't here until at least that point.

nah... one of Klay or Green will be gone by the year before in a trade just so they can get some value...

tredigs
02-09-2017, 03:40 PM
nah... one of Klay or Green will be gone by the year before in a trade just so they can get some value...

Only if they don't think they can re-sign. We'll see.

Klay very likely the odd-man out if that would happen.

Vinylman
02-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Only if they don't think they can re-sign. We'll see.

Klay very likely the odd-man out if that would happen.

yeah... to me barring injuries GS is a lock for the finals the next 3 years (2017-2019) even with losing key guys like Liv and Iggy.

Scoots
02-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Organization is very high on McCaw. He's a big combo guard in the mold of how we use Livingston. Less of a PG and more of a SG but still capable passer and long. Also I'm high on Looney. Vets will come from less but that can't be counted on. The real key will be to draft well at the end of the draft and develop players to fill in.

Unfortunately the Warriors have 2 more years of draft picks traded away ... I think.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2017, 04:19 PM

I don't think GS has much of a choice but to trade either Klay, or Green, before they can't get anything in return. Klay makes the most sense to move, considering GS still has Durant/Curry on the perimeter. But, that gives them this year, and the next 2 years to win chips with those 4 as the main core. I just can't see any of them, at their age, giving a big discount, or a couple giving decent ones to add up.

Scoots
02-09-2017, 04:22 PM
This.

You guys are naive if you think that the Warriors 'simply won't care' about the luxury tax. Yeah, they'll offer Durant/Curry whatever they want but the luxury tax will be insane.

These are approximate numbers:

The Cavs are currently 34 million over the cap (128mill total team salary while the team cap is 94mill).

The Warriors are currently 7 million over the cap (101mill total team salary while the team cap is 94mill).

If the Warriors max Durant and Steph next year, they will be at approximately 126 million. That means their two biggest bench pieces are gone (Iggy/Livingston), and after that they are STILL in the luxury tax.

In fact, The total GSW roster if KD/Curry are maxed will be: Steph, Klay, KD, Green, Kevin Looney, Damian Jones, Patrick McCaw.... 7 total players and they will STILL be over the cap. That's without the bigger contract Klay will demand in a couple years.

Filling out the roster with minimum contracts will be repeated luxury tax penalty over and over. Dan Gilbert is worth over 5 billion alone and he's fighting tooth and nail to avoid those luxury penalties... you guys are really fooling yourselves if you don't think Joe Lacob and whoever else will care.

The Warriors got under the tax this year so their repeater penalties don't start until year after next, while Cleveland has effectively no way to get under the tax for at least 3 more years, and every dollar they add now is something like $4 in tax they have to pay. It makes sense that Griffin would not want to spend $10M (vet minimum plus tax) to add a player that likely makes no difference to the team on the floor, let alone trade a future cheap player (draft pick) for an additional $20M in taxes this year.

The Warriors will gladly pay the tax penalties as long as they are winning titles. If they don't win the team will be rebuilt pretty quickly is my guess. Venture Capital money is not necessarily terribly patient.

Scoots
02-09-2017, 04:24 PM
I don't think GS has much of a choice but to trade either Klay, or Green, before they can't get anything in return. Klay makes the most sense to move, considering GS still has Durant/Curry on the perimeter. But, that gives them this year, and the next 2 years to win chips with those 4 as the main core. I just can't see any of them, at their age, giving a big discount, or a couple giving decent ones to add up.

90% of the players in the league are going to have to sign smaller contracts than the ones that were signed this past off-season. Unless the NBA suddenly gets another windfall player's pay will go down.

But, I agree that the Warriors won't stay at the top for 4 more years without some great draft picks/trades/signings (for CHEAP).

TrueFan420
02-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately the Warriors have 2 more years of draft picks traded away ... I think.

Those can always be bought and players can always be moved for picks even if their seconds.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2017, 04:43 PM
90% of the players in the league are going to have to sign smaller contracts than the ones that were signed this past off-season. Unless the NBA suddenly gets another windfall player's pay will go down.

But, I agree that the Warriors won't stay at the top for 4 more years without some great draft picks/trades/signings (for CHEAP).

They can easily afford to lose Klay (for cheaper depth), and still contend for chips.

Vinylman
02-10-2017, 09:16 AM

what? Not the top tier guys (25%)... maybe guys like the mozgov's dengs noah, etc... but even those type of guys this offseason will see increase because the cap is going up.

Where the middling guys like the 3 I Outlined will get squeezed is on length of their deals rather than AAV

Vinylman
02-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Those can always be bought and players can always be moved for picks even if their seconds.

other than the top 4 guys on GS there is no one that would garner a 1st...

don't forget all their guys are FA this summer except the guys on rookie deals... including a guy like Clark

Scoots
02-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Can they buy picks when they have no cap space to spend?

tredigs
02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
They can easily afford to lose Klay (for cheaper depth), and still contend for chips.

They honestly probably won't need to. Ring chasers are cheap. I could definitely see vets who have already made a ton of money but not won a title yet come in this summer. Just taking a quick look at the FA class and Deron Williams + Nene jump out as two prime candidates. Already happened with D West and Zaza, neither of which were that rich relative to a lot of the other guys who could come in.

Scoots
02-10-2017, 11:36 AM
what? Not the top tier guys (25%)... maybe guys like the mozgov's dengs noah, etc... but even those type of guys this offseason will see increase because the cap is going up.

Where the middling guys like the 3 I Outlined will get squeezed is on length of their deals rather than AAV

90% of the players in the NBA will not be signing new contracts this off-season. I was talking about further in to the future. This off-season records will be set for the top contracts, but teams are going to be a LOT more cautious this year and the year after that the cap may well go down. That said, of the players currently in the NBA who are going to eventually sign a new contract, they were probably looking at last year's feeding frenzy and figured they'd get a chance at that money, and it's never going to be like that again ... in other words they won't get the money they hoped for.

Scoots
02-10-2017, 11:49 AM
They honestly probably won't need to. Ring chasers are cheap. I could definitely see vets who have already made a ton of money but not won a title yet come in this summer. Just taking a quick look at the FA class and Deron Williams + Nene jump out as two prime candidates. Already happened with D West and Zaza, neither of which were that rich relative to a lot of the other guys who could come in.

If you limit it to just guys over 30 who are unrestricted free agents ... the guys who could choose to come to the Warriors is not that impressive ... particularly if you exclude current Warriors Livingston, Iguodala, West, and Zaza.

JJ Redick (and he wouldn't come to come off the bench)
Taj Gibson (also probably not interested in playing behind Green and KD)
Kyle Korver
Randy Foye
Thabo Sefolosha

They maybe could get Vince Carter and Zach Randolph :)

Scoots
02-10-2017, 11:50 AM
I would love for the Warriors to get Nerlens Noel for the MLE but we all know that's impossible. :)

Vinylman
02-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Can they buy picks when they have no cap space to spend?

buying 2nd rounders is only limited to a certain amount each year... like $3 million I believe

It has nothing to do with the cap...

buying first rounders are tough but not impossible... they aren't impacted by the cap other than the cap hold ... and if you are already over it is just an exception anyway.

Scoots
02-10-2017, 01:02 PM
buying 2nd rounders is only limited to a certain amount each year... like $3 million I believe

It has nothing to do with the cap...

buying first rounders are tough but not impossible... they aren't impacted by the cap other than the cap hold ... and if you are already over it is just an exception anyway.

I couldn't remember if the NBA pick purchases required cap space ... I think it does in the NFL. It makes sense that it should cost them some cap space, I guess the NBA just figures most teams won't want to sell so it's not a major factor.

tredigs
02-10-2017, 01:16 PM
If you limit it to just guys over 30 who are unrestricted free agents ... the guys who could choose to come to the Warriors is not that impressive ... particularly if you exclude current Warriors Livingston, Iguodala, West, and Zaza.

JJ Redick (and he wouldn't come to come off the bench)
Taj Gibson (also probably not interested in playing behind Green and KD)
Kyle Korver
Randy Foye
Thabo Sefolosha

They maybe could get Vince Carter and Zach Randolph :)
I wouldn't exclude any of the 4 current Warriors of signing a min to stay on the team. They may. And you forgot the two I mentioned. Nene and Deron Williams. I'd take both in backup roles. Thabo's definitely a good candidate. I don't know, we'll see. Maybe Curry and KD decide they're good with 25 mil a year contracts and it frees up the Warriors. That's definitely doubtful though.

mightybosstone
02-10-2017, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't exclude any of the 4 current Warriors of signing a min to stay on the team. They may. And you forgot the two I mentioned. Nene and Deron Williams. I'd take both in backup roles. Thabo's definitely a good candidate. I don't know, we'll see. Maybe Curry and KD decide they're good with 25 mil a year contracts and it frees up the Warriors. That's definitely doubtful though.

Whoah, man. You leave Nene alone! He's happy in Houston, and if he wants to keep playing NBA basketball, he can stay with the Rockets.

Vinylman
02-10-2017, 02:33 PM
I couldn't remember if the NBA pick purchases required cap space ... I think it does in the NFL. It makes sense that it should cost them some cap space, I guess the NBA just figures most teams won't want to sell so it's not a major factor.

a second rounder is less than a vet cap hold

a first ... depending on where it is... is also less than a vet cap hold... think about... no one is selling a pick higher than mid-20s

Scoots
02-10-2017, 02:57 PM

I didn't forget them, you had already listed them. I wasn't trying to make a comprehensive list :)

I said somewhere here that I thought the Warriors should offer Iguodala and Livingston lifetime vet min deals until they retire when they can transition directly to player development coaches at an exorbitant salary :)

At any rate, there are no real game changes out there likely to join.