PDA

View Full Version : If the 76ers had not passed on Giannis and Porzy, would they be title contenders?

Giannis94
02-04-2017, 09:35 AM
This was actually a possibility.

In 2013 the 76ers drafted MCW in front of Giannis. And in 2015 they drafted Okafor in front of Porzy.

So if you look at their lineup it would be something like:

Simmons/TJ
Giannis/ TLC
Covington (or Saric)
Porzingas
Embiid (yes I am well aware he is a PT player, Saric being a 6th man helps)

That is actually a sick team. hot damn.

J_M_B
02-04-2017, 11:11 AM
The length on that team is ridiculous

Giannis and Porz were considered reaches at the time if I remember correctly

D-Leethal
02-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Porz and Porzy need to be outlawed.

Giannis94
02-04-2017, 11:58 AM
I honestly think this team would take down the Cavs.

Alayla
02-04-2017, 12:13 PM
1. No
2. Simmons wouldn't be on the team right now if those picks happened so it's pointless to talk about

ewing
02-04-2017, 12:47 PM
if my Aunt had nuts....

archdevil84
02-04-2017, 01:03 PM
giannis wil u marry me? PLEASE

STRIKERC
02-04-2017, 02:24 PM
OP is obsessed with Sixers.

Look, Prozingis and Giannis are All Star caliber young players but i will take my chances with Embiid and Simmons. Time will tell but i see Embiid and Simmons as generational talent.

Last year there was the Embiid vs KAT argument. People thought Sixers fans were crazy when we said we preferred Embiid. If this season has proven anything it's the fact that KAT is not the defensive stud Embiid is.

Give me Embiid and Simmons anyday.

RLundi
02-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Gretchen, stop trying to Porzy happen, it's not gonna happen!

europagnpilgrim
02-04-2017, 03:08 PM
if my Aunt had nuts....

She would be your uncle

and if the 76ers had drafted a combo of Dirk/Pierce/Tmac with The Answer they would have definitely went to at least 4 finals in a decade span

tp13baby
02-04-2017, 03:23 PM
The length on that team is ridiculous

Giannis and Porz were considered reaches at the time if I remember correctly

Is the Denver forum the only forum that absolutely loved Porzy? Seriously he was probably the favorite out of all of us, before rumors spread Mudiay was falling.

sixer04fan
02-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Contenders today? Probably not.

Giannis and Porzingis haven't accomplished anything yet in terms of playoff success. Since passing on Giannis/Porz, the Sixers have still won as many playoff series as the Bucks and Knicks, while Giannis/Porz have been surrounded by better talent and more experienced players during that span. So I'm not sure how adding them to the Sixers makes them instant title contenders when neither of them have been able to achieve any respectable amount of playoff success on their own while playing with better teams.

But in the long term future? A team with Porzingis, Giannis, Embiid, Simmons would obviously be sick.

valade16
02-04-2017, 04:15 PM
No one knew Giannis would be so good so they didn't really miss out based on knowledge at the time. Porting is would have fit in with their process approach and they likely still would have been bad enough to draft Simmons.

Simmons -Porzingis - Embiid would be an even more formidable future .

THE MTL
02-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Had they drafted Giannis, I doubt they would have a high enough for Simmons and possibly even for Porzingis.

Now the real question is if they drafted Porzingis over Okafor. Simmons-Porz-Embiid is scary lengthy and versatile

Bostonjorge
02-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Embiid is a monster and proved me wrong. Embiid still has a weakness and it's playing at a high level next to another true big.

One Nut Kruk
02-04-2017, 06:24 PM
I'd say his weakness is health/playing time.

mrblisterdundee
02-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Had the 76ers not passed on Antetokounmpo, who's to say they ever get a shot at Embiid or Porzingis?
Getting all three is a very outlandish what-if, but it's fair to ask how good the 76ers would be had they taken a chance on Porzingis instead of Okafor. They'd have a top-four front court in the NBA, that's for sure. They might not have gotten a high-enough pick to get a shot at Simmons, but I think it'd be worth it to have Porzingis instead.

Giannis94
02-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Had the 76ers not passed on Antetokounmpo, who's to say they ever get a shot at Embiid or Porzingis?
Getting all three is a very outlandish what-if, but it's fair to ask how good the 76ers would be had they taken a chance on Porzingis instead of Okafor. They'd have a top-four front court in the NBA, that's for sure. They might not have gotten a high-enough pick to get a shot at Simmons, but I think it'd be worth it to have Porzingis instead.

Giannis barely played his first year so I do believe they would have been able to draft porzy.

Vinylman
02-07-2017, 03:12 PM
1. No
2. Simmons wouldn't be on the team right now if those picks happened so it's pointless to talk about

quit inserting logic into the discussion :clap:

you are probably a total buzz kill if you talk politics

BKLYNpigeon
02-07-2017, 03:29 PM
If Sixers drafted Prozingis and Giannas, they would have been too good to get the #1 pick last year to draft Simmons.

FlashBolt
02-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Dude, we can do this scenario for every team so why do people keep asking these questions...

ManRam
02-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Who cares?