PDA

View Full Version : Bucks find a mate: Dump Plumlee on CHA

Giannis94
02-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Thanks mj. Only thing that could of made this better is if they took Jkidd with him Plumdog Millionaire.

Plumlee for Hawes and Hibbert apparently

Marc SteinVerified account ‏@ESPNSteinLine 15m15 minutes ago
More
Story with @WindhorstESPN: Milwaukee has reached an agreement in principle to trade Miles Plumlee to Charlotte for Roy Hibbert/Spencer Hawes

Chronz
02-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Should help Milwaukee tank so yeah. Tanx

Giannis94
02-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Should help Milwaukee tank so yeah. Tanx

plumlee doesn't play the way it is. Straight up cap dump as we already have Henson, Telly, Monroe all making $10mill+

gopackgo87
02-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Thanks mj. Only thing that could of made this better is if they took Jkidd with him Plumdog Millionaire.

Plumlee for Hawes and Hibbert apparently

Unreal. What a great deal for the Bucks. Hawes likely to opt out after year also. Gives the Bucks much more cap flexibility. Bucks will waive Novak to make room on roster. Smiling ear to ear. Can't believe someone took Plumlee deal off Bucks' hands.

black1605
02-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't get it.

Giannis94
02-02-2017, 03:45 PM
I don't get it.

Let me explain it to you.

1.) Plumlee had half a good season last year and is getting $40+ over 4 years
2.) MJ runs Charlotte.

Chronz
02-02-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm ducking with you dude. It's a non consequential trade but make no mistake about it, Charlotte won it in terms of talent. It's yet to be seen what MIlwaukee does with it's cap space. Last time they spent it on Moose.

Moose is a valuable bench piece but he completely conflicts with Bae. Does Henson still got it, is the guy reliable? The team did well with a rim runner over the go to post scorer imo.

It all depends on what Milwaukee wants to do. Hope Giannis can develop his game or just get him the stats.

Chronz
02-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Just checked the stats. Didn't realize hes been so inefficient. Haven't been watching all your losses lately, just been betting against them.

Calling it. Plumlee will play better alongside a true team dynamic

Giannis94
02-02-2017, 03:48 PM
The Bucks ownership has a lot of ties to the democratic party, leading me to believe Hawes foresaw this happening a long time ago:

https://twitter.com/KrustySoxSports/status/796636188069085184

5ass
02-02-2017, 04:07 PM
The first domino?

Crackadalic
02-02-2017, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure if it makes the bucks better this year but the cap room is at least there

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure this makes either team better, but Charlotte will be faster, and Milwaukee financially flexible.

tredigs
02-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Just checked the stats. Didn't realize hes been so inefficient. Haven't been watching all your losses lately, just been betting against them.

Calling it. Plumlee will play better alongside a true team dynamic

He could play 3 times better and it wouldn't be enough to move the needle. Getting out of his 12.5 a year contract for the next 4 years is a big win for Milwaukee here. Hibbert's an expiring and Hawes has 1 year for 6 million (if he accepts).

5ass
02-02-2017, 05:38 PM
He could play 3 times better and it wouldn't be enough to move the needle. Getting out of his 12.5 a year contract for the next 4 years is a big win for Milwaukee here. Hibbert's an expiring and Hawes has 1 year for 6 million (if he accepts).

Back up centers will be paid atleast 12 mill/yr from here on out. All plumlee needs to do is prove he's a decent back up to prove worthy of that contract IMO. The big thing here is Monroe's contract might prevent the Bucks from having any real cap space this offseason, but if he (and Hawes) opts out, they might have enough money to offer someone the max.

tredigs
02-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Back up centers will be paid atleast 12 mill/yr from here on out. All plumlee needs to do is prove he's a decent back up to prove worthy of that contract IMO. The big thing here is Monroe's contract might prevent the Bucks from having any real cap space this offseason, but if he (and Hawes) opts out, they might have enough money to offer someone the max.

That would be the VERY high end for back-up centers. You certainly can't pay all your back-ups that amount (unless you're dropping 70 million of your ~105 million on backups), and I'd argue that a backup PG is both the potentially more potent player (being that there are better players at the position) and is more of a need for teams. Those guys I could see in the 10-14 range on a few teams. Not so much centers. They'll be in the 6-8 mil range.

Plus, Plumlee wasn't even their backup center. He was a DNP Coaches decision or saw <5 minutes of action most nights.

5ass
02-02-2017, 06:16 PM
That would be the VERY high end for back-up centers. You certainly can't pay all your back-ups that amount (unless you're dropping 70 million of your ~105 million on backups), and I'd argue that a backup PG is both the potentially more potent player (being that there are better players at the position) and is more of a need for teams. Those guys I could see in the 10-14 range on a few teams. Not so much centers. They'll be in the 6-8 mil range.

Plus, Plumlee wasn't even their backup center. He was a DNP Coaches decision or saw <5 minutes of action most nights.
I'm pretty sure historically, back up Cs get paid more than back up PGs. Decent back up PGs are usually more available in FA.

Doesn't matter what role he played for the Bucks. If he can prove to be a decent back up C for Charlotte, he'll prove to be worth the money. It's probably never going to be a great contract, but it could be okay. This is without mentioning the fact that the cap is going to rise throughout the duration of his contract.

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Backup centers will be drafted and replaced every 4 years. $10m for a backup you only do if it gets you over the top.

tredigs
02-02-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm pretty sure historically, back up Cs get paid more than back up PGs. Decent back up PGs are usually more available in FA.

Doesn't matter what role he played for the Bucks. If he can prove to be a decent back up C for Charlotte, he'll prove to be worth the money. It's probably never going to be a great contract, but it could be okay. This is without mentioning the fact that the cap is going to rise throughout the duration of his contract.

To me it's Charlotte asking a player to significantly increase his production (for an average at best team with a weak frontcourt alongside him) over the next few years as he enters his 30's in order to try to live up to a contract. Miles Plumlee is not good at all as is, so it's a tall order. I'd take my chances somewhere else personally.

Chronz
02-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Ok but if he plays 3x better it would be a move that affords cha a player they would struggle to afford with whatever cap space the move frees up. On the other end, what has Milwaukee proven in free agency to make the downgrade in talent worth it? Save money? Wooo

tredigs
02-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Ok but if he plays 3x better it would be a move that affords cha a player they would struggle to afford with whatever cap space the move frees up. On the other end, what has Milwaukee proven in free agency to make the downgrade in talent worth it? Save money? Wooo

Money matters. They need that space to pay Jabari next summer, and seeing as they swung/missed on Miles, at the very worst they will swing/miss again. It's a pretty cut/dry decision IMO.

Charlotte is being blasted in all the takes I've just read on this btw.

Scoots
02-02-2017, 07:28 PM
The Warriors 5 Cs (Pachulia, West, McGee, Varejao, and Jones) make a total of $8.4M this year and the totals of their per game averages are 18.4 pts, 14.2 reb.

Chronz
02-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Money matters. They need that space to pay Jabari next summer, and seeing as they swung/missed on Miles, at the very worst they will swing/miss again. It's a pretty cut/dry decision IMO.

Wake me up when they do something meaningful with the money aside from saving it for players they already have. Call me old school but as a long time clippers fan, i have more respect for teams that try to improve the team over save some cash they just might end up spending in the wrong places anyways. Again, if the guy plays the way he did when he was first considered worth the investment then it's worth the risk when you're just giving up bums in a Market that struggles to attract even them. His bad stats actually make me more hopefull for a rebound. I think he's about to go through his best stretch yet. We'll see what happens with both teams tho

Chronz
02-02-2017, 07:35 PM
The Warriors 5 Cs (Pachulia, West, McGee, Varejao, and Jones) make a total of $8.4M this year and the totals of their per game averages are 18.4 pts, 14.2 reb.
Well yeah. Both of these teams would have offered Zaza far more than he settled for on the gs bandwagon express. Its like the Lakers bragging about signing karl Malone for the minimum when many teams would've maxed him out.

tredigs
02-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Wake me up when they do something meaningful with the money aside from saving it for players they already have. Call me old school but as a long time clippers fan, i have more respect for teams that try to improve the team over save some cash they just might end up spending in the wrong places anyways. Again, if the guy plays the way he did when he was first considered worth the investment then it's worth the risk when you're just giving up bums in a Market that struggles to attract even them. His bad stats actually make me more hopefull for a rebound. I think he's about to go through his best stretch yet. We'll see what happens with both teams tho
Well, with Middleton on the return, Giannis a star and Jabari looking like he could be a star in the making, it's as good a spot as they've been in as an organization in a while. I could see a free agent of moderate (not high) caliber willing to sign there given their ages and potential future. But again, at the very least they will have no problem what-so-ever signing a player of Miles' caliber to a ~13 million a year deal. Not sure why you think Charlotte is the positive change of scenery that will finally invigorate the turnstile that has been Miles Plumlee's career, but time will tell I guess. Maybe he can massively outperform his current production and average 8 and 7 with mediocre D in 24 mpg, but I don't see it... I also don't see why you wouldn't just look for that from a D leaguer or rookie contract.

For reference, in his "elite"-for-himself stretch last year that earned him his deal, he averaged 7/5/0 <1stl <1blk in 20 minutes of action where the Bucks went 10-16 and finished with the 7th worst defensive efficiency. Dude can't even hit a FT. He's terrible.

Chronz
02-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Yeah he's sucked. I actually think most teams have buyers remorse with recent contacts.

Scoots
02-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Well yeah. Both of these teams would have offered Zaza far more than he settled for on the gs bandwagon express. Its like the Lakers bragging about signing karl Malone for the minimum when many teams would've maxed him out.

I don't know about Zaza getting a max deal ... I suspect there is no way that happens, but regardless Zaza isn't producing even half of those numbers. And the thing is, none of those players are particularly good players right now. Zaza is serviceable, and West plays well in limited minutes but both struggle a lot against athletic centers. The Warriors best 5 man in Draymond Green. Nobody wanted Varejao or McGee and Jones is a rookie picked as the last pick in the first round of the draft.

There are a lot of centers in the NBA making a lot less than $14M I'd rather have than Plumlee.

Giannis94
02-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Yeah he's sucked. I actually think most teams have buyers remorse with recent contacts.

You know who else sucks? Jason Kidd.

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Would you pay Jabari though? He looks like Melo 2.0

Giannis94
02-02-2017, 08:41 PM

I would be open to dealing him but I anticipate him signing a long term deal

5ass
02-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Backup centers will be drafted and replaced every 4 years. $10m for a backup you only do if it gets you over the top.

Easier said than done. You need to hit on that draft pick and he needs to be NBA ready in his rookie year. What's your chances of drafting a guy like that? I think bench players will get 8-12 mill/yr easily from here on out. If your starting center is pretty average or has a deficiency (example lack of size or FT shooting) that makes him a detriment to his team in some situations, you need a good back up.

I think that tactic has a much better shot replacing guards. I think the NBA is looking to use the d-league as well more often now.

tredigs
02-02-2017, 08:51 PM

As a #2 playing alongside 2 elite wings defensively, that's all they could ask for. A team does need scorers and they'd be hard pressed to get better than him in free agency, so if anything you sign and trade.

I've liked what I've seen from him in year 3 much more than in the past, especially now that he's actually dangerous from range if you leave him open. Granted, they need to pair him with a defensive big to be successful on both ends. But yeah I definitely would not let him walk if he keeps up this trajectory, he's still just 21.

5ass
02-02-2017, 08:52 PM
I don't know about Zaza getting a max deal ... I suspect there is no way that happens, but regardless Zaza isn't producing even half of those numbers. And the thing is, none of those players are particularly good players right now. Zaza is serviceable, and West plays well in limited minutes but both struggle a lot against athletic centers. The Warriors best 5 man in Draymond Green. Nobody wanted Varejao or McGee and Jones is a rookie picked as the last pick in the first round of the draft.

There are a lot of centers in the NBA making a lot less than $14M I'd rather have than Plumlee.

Like who? Those guys have likely only have one or two years left on their contract and would need an extension.

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 09:04 PM
As a #2 playing alongside 2 elite wings defensively, that's all they could ask for. A team does need scorers and they'd be hard pressed to get better than him in free agency, so if anything you sign and trade.

I've liked what I've seen from him in year 3 much more than in the past, especially now that he's actually dangerous from range if you leave him open. Granted, they need to pair him with a defensive big to be successful on both ends. But yeah I definitely would not let him walk if he keeps up this trajectory, he's still just 21.

Fair enough, but you're likely going to be paying him like a #1 and for my money, he's trade bait. He's gonna get Bradley Beal money, and I wouldn't pay Beal either.

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Easier said than done. You need to hit on that draft pick and he needs to be NBA ready in his rookie year. What's your chances of drafting a guy like that? I think bench players will get 8-12 mill/yr easily from here on out. If your starting center is pretty average or has a deficiency (example lack of size or FT shooting) that makes him a detriment to his team in some situations, you need a good back up.

I think that tactic has a much better shot replacing guards. I think the NBA is looking to use the d-league as well more often now.

It's about cost control. You can get backup guards and wings cheaply, because there's no shortage of guys 6'5". There's a "short supply of tall people" to quote a guy. They'll always be expensive because there's aren't a lot of 6'10" guys with minimum basketball ability. So getting them cost controlled on rookie contracts is the best way to go.

There are always perfectly serviceable bigs who fall in the draft. Mike Muscala for instance. What you do is draft one every other year in the 2nd round, and you always have 2 rookie deal big men, minimum, on the roster. Some will work out, some won't. But having a couple of guys price locked for 4 years at 1/3 the cost of a vet big man who's only getting 12-16mpg anyway is just good roster management.

5ass
02-02-2017, 09:44 PM
It's about cost control. You can get backup guards and wings cheaply, because there's no shortage of guys 6'5". There's a "short supply of tall people" to quote a guy. They'll always be expensive because there's aren't a lot of 6'10" guys with minimum basketball ability. So getting them cost controlled on rookie contracts is the best way to go.

There are always perfectly serviceable bigs who fall in the draft. Mike Muscala for instance. What you do is draft one every other year in the 2nd round, and you always have 2 rookie deal big men, minimum, on the roster. Some will work out, some won't. But having a couple of guys price locked for 4 years at 1/3 the cost of a vet big man who's only getting 12-16mpg anyway is just good roster management.
I think if you're going to spend good money for a back up it would be a big man. Its not just about 12-16 mpg. Its also effectiveness in close games or play off games.

Even with SVG paying Drummond near 30 mill/yr. He still signed two other centres for 7 mill/yr EACH. That's because in close games when you have to bench Drummond he needs a reliable center to substitute. It makes a huge difference in that case, and it can be applied to almost any team in different scenarios. There are very few well rounded starting centres in this league. If you have Adams, Gobert, ect. You still want a big man that can stretch the floor. You have guys that liabilities at the FT line like Drummond, Jordan. With a guy like Horford you want a good big man that can give you more size.

You want that back up to be able to handle big minutes if he needs to. I'm pretty sure its always been that way with big men. Even with prime Dwight I remember the Magic matching Dallas' offer sheet for Gortat. I don't remember what the salary was, but it wasn't cheap for a back up. he was huge for the Magic when Dwight got in foul trouble or suspended or ejected or hacked or watvr. Asik had some big moments for the Bulls as well backing up Noah.

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 10:01 PM
I think if you're going to spend good money for a back up it would be a big man. Its not just about 12-16 mpg. Its also effectiveness in close games or play off games.

Even with SVG paying Drummond near 30 mill/yr. He still signed two other centres for 7 mill/yr EACH. That's because in close games when you have to bench Drummond he needs a reliable center to substitute. It makes a huge difference in that case, and it can be applied to almost any team in different scenarios. There are very few well rounded starting centres in this league. If you have Adams, Gobert, ect. You still want a big man that can stretch the floor. You have guys that liabilities at the FT line like Drummond, Jordan. With a guy like Horford you want a good big man that can give you more size.

You want that back up to be able to handle big minutes if he needs to. I'm pretty sure its always been that way with big men. Even with prime Dwight I remember the Magic matching Dallas' offer sheet for Gortat. I don't remember what the salary was, but it wasn't cheap for a back up. he was huge for the Magic when Dwight got in foul trouble or suspended or ejected or hacked or watvr. Asik had some big moments for the Bulls as well backing up Noah.

Like I said earlier, if it'll put you over the top go all in, but if you're building having $14M tied up in two backup bigs is not going to do you any favors.

tredigs
02-02-2017, 10:28 PM

Right, and Detroit having nearly half their cap tied up in bigs is crushing them. Their offense can't hang with any of the solid teams, and their D is only slightly above average. Much rather go the Rockets route and play pace and space, and spend nothing on bigs. They've got their vet in Nene making ~2 mil, and Capella on his rookie for this year and another coming on ~2 or so a year. Allows them to take some risks on potential game changers like Eric Gordon (hit the nail on the head there) and if a big comes around that they want to jump on, then the potential is still there. ~7% of their cap on centers and a top 3 record in the game. Granted, they're paying Ryan Anderson, but he's a guy with a very proven skill-set who you can trust would excel in the system they're going for. When you find a piece that fits the puzzle, go ahead and pay them.

Miles Plumlee does not fit anyone's puzzle.

Scoots
02-02-2017, 10:44 PM
You know who else sucks? Jason Kidd.

You moved off of Giannis' jock and are now taking a swipe at Kidd over and over. Not sure, but are you aware that repetition does not necessarily improve the efficacy of your message?

JAZZNC
02-02-2017, 11:53 PM
You moved off of Giannis' jock and are now taking a swipe at Kidd over and over. Not sure, but are you aware that repetition does not necessarily improve the efficacy of your message?

Call him out Scoots!!!

Scoots
02-03-2017, 01:13 AM
Like who? Those guys have likely only have one or two years left on their contract and would need an extension.

You want a list of Centers I'd prefer to Plumlee who are making less than $14M a year?

If we include players on rookie deals it starts with Embiid and KAT, but let's not count rookie deals and not count current Warriors. How about Speights? Dedmon? Both are well under $3M, let alone approaching $14M.

If we look at the idea that you draft backup centers ... you have to draft them and develop them and there are a lot of decent centers on their rookie deals in the NBA who were not taken in the top 10. Adams, Gobert, Dieng, The better Plumlee, Noghiera, Nurkic, Capela, Turner, Hernangomez, and Zubac.

On the centers about to go to their second contracts ... the 2013 draft was a bad draft up top but it had more than the usual number of decent centers with Adams, Gobert, Zeller, Noel, Len, Dieng, The better Plumlee, and even Noghiera.

Giannis94
02-03-2017, 01:49 AM

Jw, but r u a mod? Will respond accordingly after question os answered

kobe4thewinbang
02-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Can someone explain Charlotte's motivation to me? They just did the Bucks a solid.
Rich Cho on bringing in a lesser known Miles Plumlee for two veterans like Roy Hibbert and Spencer Hawes: “Well, we felt like we needed more physicality on the frontline, and athleticism. And those are two things Miles can bring. Those are two of his strengths. He might not be as well known as the other guys [Hawes and Hibbert], but he has been in the league for a while. He’s 28-year-old. We’ve seen him a ton and I think he’s pretty well known within the NBA circle, maybe not to the fans out there as much, but he’s pretty well known within the NBA circle”
5 hours ago – via NBA.com
Rich Cho on Roy Hibbert’s time in Charlotte: “Well, I think that we had pretty high expectations when we signed Roy and, as you know, he had a really good first game, but then he had some injuries and it’s kind of tough to get in a rhythm, into a groove when you’re up and down with the injuries. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for Roy here, but one thing that you have to do when you’re a team, when you feel like something’s not working, [you have to] try and move on quickly.”
5 hours ago – via NBA.com All of you guys are saying Plumlee is more like bum-lee.

FOXHOUND
02-03-2017, 04:22 AM
I think you have to look at Charlotte's particular situation. They're absolutely hemorrhaging with Zeller in and out and the two they traded absolutely suck. Plumlee just a few years ago was starting on that surprise 48-win Phoenix team. He didn't do all that much, just 8 and 8 with a block in 25 MPG, but for Charlotte that would be a much needed boost. He moves around well so he can help their D with that alone, rather than the horrendous plodding duo they just moved.

They're currently on a 6 game losing streak and went 4-11 in January. In Zeller's 7 games, they went 3-4. Their lead on the 8th seed is down to just a half a game. His contract isn't great, but it's really not horrible either considering the circumstances in which it was signed. It's a flat $12.5M and with one last big salary jump coming we're likely going to see another string of surprisingly large contracts thrown around.

They may end up regretting it in the offseason, but if he helps them make the postseason this year then they'll probably be happy about it overall. Besides, it may be easy to move him in the offseason if they want to with teams sitting on a chunk of cap space and not wanting to pay similar C's something like $15M in that market.

Scoots
02-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Jw, but r u a mod? Will respond accordingly after question os answered

Not sure what you are after ... but no I'm not a mod in the NBA forum.

Wade n Fade
02-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Now, the Bucks need to find someone to take the crappy Greg Monroe off their books.

IndyRealist
02-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Can someone explain Charlotte's motivation to me? They just did the Bucks a solid. All of you guys are saying Plumlee is more like bum-lee.

I would never call him a bum, I just don't think a $10m backup center for a noncontending team is a sound move.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-03-2017, 09:54 AM
The first domino?

According to Keith Smith nba Bucks shopping Henson and Monroe for a wing yet.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Plumlee $12.4M $12.4M $12.4M $12.4M

Hibbert $5M expiring
Hawes $6M $6M player option

Bucks save estimated $31M in future cap. Makes it easier to match offer sheets to RFA Snell to back up Middleton also Parker be getting his big extension this summer. If Hawes opts out that's a bonus.

Wade n Fade
02-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Plumlee $12.4M $12.4M $12.4M $12.4M

Hibbert $5M expiring
Hawes $6M $6M player option

Bucks save estimated $31M in future cap. Makes it easier to match offer sheets to RFA Snell to back up Middleton also Parker be getting his big extension this summer. If Hawes opts out that's a bonus.

Unless he has a terrible time with the Bucks, expect Hawes to opt out. Jon Leuer got paid to play a stretch shooting big man role with the Pistons, so some team might be stupid enough to get Hawes via FA.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Plus Delly, Henson for Rubio rumor appeared late yesterday. That would shave more cap from Bucks if it happened.

Wade n Fade
02-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Plus Delly, Henson for Rubio rumor appeared late yesterday. That would shave more cap from Bucks if it happened.

I think that's a horrific move for Minnesota. Rubio isn't worth much, but they can't just take in bad contracts for little to no incentive.

Scoots
02-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Varejao is now a free agent. I think Looney and McAdoo played well enough to make him the 15th man and just getting in the way of the rookie Jones in garbage time.

Varejao I see as comparable to Plumlee. Not the same, but $11M cheaper.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-04-2017, 02:22 PM
what a miracle. Also just before NBA announces cap projections to lower next two years.

Scoots
02-04-2017, 11:59 PM
what a miracle. Also just before NBA announces cap projections to lower next two years.

Some of us saw it coming ... others are still dreaming of more off-seasons like this last one.