PDA

View Full Version : Make sense of Melo to Cleveland

mrblisterdundee
02-02-2017, 02:13 AM
I know the general consensus has been Anthony to the Cavaliers wonít work. But isnít that more of an incentive to prove people wrong with your wit?
Make the most logical trade sending Anthony to the Cavaliers and Love to the Knicks. Let's say the winner is determined by popular consensus.

mrblisterdundee
02-02-2017, 02:26 AM
I'll go first, haha!
How about Anthony, Jennings, OíQuinn and a first-rounder for Love and Shumpert?
I think Anthony's value would largely come by playing when James is resting, and playing more off the ball. O'Quinn gives a lot for a $3 million contract. Jennings is a decent backup for $5 million. And you get a first-rounder.
The Knicks get Love, who can help Porzingis transition to center. Shumpert's relatively young, plays good defense, showed promise in New York and makes less than $10 million a year. You add $3 million in cap space and add some very tradeable contracts.

DarkKnight
02-02-2017, 02:33 AM
Pass on that trade .. don't think the Knicks want shump back

Clint Olbrock
02-02-2017, 03:37 AM
I know the general consensus has been Anthony to the Cavaliers wonít work. But isnít that more of an incentive to prove people wrong with your wit?
Make the most logical trade sending Anthony to the Cavaliers and Love to the Knicks. Let's say the winner is determined by popular consensus.

Seeing as the Cavs don't want to get rid of any of their big 3 to acquire Melo, the most logical is none.

If you want to try to construct something without the big 3, you could try.. Not a lot of great pieces, probably had to add another team or 2 to make it feasible.

You could Shump and TT for Melo or Shump and JR for Melo or TT and JR for Melo or JR and Frye for Melo or TT and Frye for Melo or Shump, Frye and RJ for Melo.. If you want no former Knicks you could do TT, RJ, Liggins and Bird for Melo.

All those deals work money wise.. It's just I'm not sure the Knicks want JR, Shump or Frye back.. RJ and Bird are old, not to mention Bird can't play the rest of the year.. TT is way overpriced and is similar to Noah.. Liggins and McRae are butt.. Korver can't be traded until March 7th, after the deadline..

The Knicks are not getting LBJ or Kyrie, obviously and reports are they don't want to give up Love.. Why the Knicks keep entertaining conversations with the Cavs and Clippers who both have made their big 3's off limits is beyond me.

Giannis94
02-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Miserable player to a miserable city. That's the only connection I can see

MJNetsIsles
02-02-2017, 12:17 PM
I think Lebron to the Knicks makes more sense when his contract with Cleveland is up.

Rose, Melo, Lebron, Porzingis, Hernangomez

mrblisterdundee
02-02-2017, 12:41 PM
I think Lebron to the Knicks makes more sense when his contract with Cleveland is up.

Rose, Melo, Lebron, Porzingis, Hernangomez

Nah; he'd be better off in Cleveland as part of the big three. But I have thought about a Banana Boat reunion in New York City, although it couldn't happen before 2018-19.
James would have to opt out of the last year of his contract, and agree to take a pay cut in a totally unproven situation, as would Paul and Wade, if they want any sort of non-D League supporting cast to help them. Even then, I don't know if this starting lineup is even good enough to contend when they're that old:
PG: Paul (33)
SG: Wade (37)
SF: Anthony (34)
PF: James (34)
C: Porzingis (23)

LongIslandIcedZ
02-02-2017, 12:57 PM
There isnt too much to make sense of IMO. Whether or not a deal gets done, thats another question. But I totally see the logic behind it.

Lebron wants an extra playmaker. And the Knicks want to get rid of Melo to continue the Porzingis/Hernangomez rebuild.

Would love to have one of these monster PG's playing with them.

rhino17
02-02-2017, 01:00 PM
I'm not a big Love fan but I will take his shooting and rebounding over the absolutely NOTHING that Melo offers

valade16
02-02-2017, 01:03 PM
I looked and the only pieces outside Love even remotely interesting on Cleveland are Tristan Thompson and Iman Shumpert.

If I'm the Knicks I start rectifying the mistakes I made. I wonder if there's a way for them to agree to trade Melo to Cleveland without getting Love back if Cleveland also takes Noah. Not sure how that would work money wise. I imagine Cleveland's cap and luxury tax payments would shoot into the stratosphere.

Chronz
02-02-2017, 01:22 PM
I looked and the only pieces outside Love even remotely interesting on Cleveland are Tristan Thompson and Iman Shumpert.

If I'm the Knicks I start rectifying the mistakes I made. I wonder if there's a way for them to agree to trade Melo to Cleveland without getting Love back if Cleveland also takes Noah. Not sure how that would work money wise. I imagine Cleveland's cap and luxury tax payments would shoot into the stratosphere.
Yeah if Phil can get a reset on Noah, it Will be worth jettisoning Melo. Question is, can Noah hold up for the city he trashed and teammates he hated

Sssmush
02-03-2017, 08:25 AM
If the Knicks really want to dump Melo off the books they should judt srnd him for a future pick and a trade exception. KLove is questionsble value and a huge contract liability. So if ur willing to send him for KLovd u should be willing to send him for nothing, And KLove has value for cleveland this year, so they wont send him anyway. Also Melo can veto every trade and go Starbury on your ***, so if he will take a Vleveland trade give it to him. 1st round pick 2019. Or whatever.

Wuestion is will Cleveland even send the pick and the trade exception for him and go $20m deeper into lux tax territory. Probably not. It only makes sense if you unload JR but Lebrom likes him, and is Melo >> JR? Not sure

Clint Olbrock
02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
If the Knicks really want to dump Melo off the books they should judt srnd him for a future pick and a trade exception. KLove is questionsble value and a huge contract liability. So if ur willing to send him for KLovd u should be willing to send him for nothing, And KLove has value for cleveland this year, so they wont send him anyway. Also Melo can veto every trade and go Starbury on your ***, so if he will take a Vleveland trade give it to him. 1st round pick 2019. Or whatever.

Wuestion is will Cleveland even send the pick and the trade exception for him and go $20m deeper into lux tax territory. Probably not. It only makes sense if you unload JR but Lebrom likes him, and is Melo >> JR? Not sure

Cavs do not have a $24 million TPE nor do they have a 1st round pick to send..

Vee-Rex
02-03-2017, 12:32 PM
I don't want Melo in exchange for Love. And I don't want O'Quinn and Jennings either. Stumpert is having a career year and he's the 3-and-D player a contender needs, so his value for us is higher than that for other teams.

The Knicks realize this, and I believe they're looking for a 3rd team that would be willing to add an attractive piece for the Cavs in the deal. It's just unlikely that this will happen.

Wade n Fade
02-03-2017, 12:52 PM
You don't trade Kevin Love unless you get a PF/C worth upgrading to. Love is one of the better rebounders in the game. Melo should go to LAC because he is a better fit there than Cleveland. Cleveland should just get Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers, Deron Williams, or some backup PG to fill in for now.

IKnowHoops
02-03-2017, 10:34 PM
If I'm the Cavs, I make big 3 + TT +Shump off limits. Then I say take whatever you want if you just want to dump Melo at that price tag. Then I fill in what scrubs I lost with free agent buyouts that occur. Then roll into the last half of the season building chemistry, re-energized and reinvigorated and ready to make my Run with a starting lineup of

Kyrie
Lebron
Melo
Love
TT

And Shump as my six man. Hopefully JR still off the bench as 7th.

Healthy and in rhythm, they could give GS a run for there money.

NYKnickFanatic
02-03-2017, 11:06 PM
If I'm the Cavs, I make big 3 + TT +Shump off limits. Then I say take whatever you want if you just want to dump Melo at that price tag. Then I fill in what scrubs I lost with free agent buyouts that occur. Then roll into the last half of the season building chemistry, re-energized and reinvigorated and ready to make my Run with a starting lineup of

Kyrie
Lebron
Melo
Love
TT

And Shump as my six man. Hopefully JR still off the bench as 7th.

Healthy and in rhythm, they could give GS a run for there money.

Kyrie
Shump
Bron
Love
TT

Melo off bench.

jeter 2
02-03-2017, 11:44 PM
If I'm the Cavs, I'd rather have Melo. I think Cleveland will do better with Melo. I think playing small will help them.

Right now, their goal should be to beat Golden State. Unless a major injury happens, it's going to be Golden State versus Cleveland. Who would you rather have as your third option: Kevin Love or Melo?

Well, last year Kevin Love averaged 8 points and like 5 rebounds. What's going to change with him this year? Are Kyrie and Lebron going to carry them to another title? They need someone who fits better than Love. Lebron and him don't fit.

I mean the Cavs were just one shot away from losing the title. The Warriors added Kevin Durant. That's huge. What's Cleveland's counter? Kyle Korver?

I think their best counter is add Melo and have a third option in finals. They are going to need a third option to take pressure off Kyrie and Lebron in the finals.

Kevin Love, I'm not too sure he's the right piece.

Jeffy25
02-04-2017, 12:59 AM
I don't think a trade exists without parting with one of Cleveland's big three, which Cleveland won't be moving

TT and J.R. in a trade for Melo would be the only way Cleveland goes that route, and that's not going to be enough.

Jeffy25
02-04-2017, 01:01 AM
^ and then, Cleveland has nobody to play in the post.

1. Irving
2. LeBron
3. Melo
4. Love

I guess?

It would be Kyrie runs point, and everybody goes plays mid range going perimeter to basket.

This team would need some boxers down low to rim protect and not take shots.

Clint Olbrock
02-04-2017, 11:05 AM
^ and then, Cleveland has nobody to play in the post.

1. Irving
2. LeBron
3. Melo
4. Love

I guess?

It would be Kyrie runs point, and everybody goes plays mid range going perimeter to basket.

This team would need some boxers down low to rim protect and not take shots.

Maybe like Larry Sanders?

MTar786
02-07-2017, 02:18 PM
liggins, thompson, smith, rj, shumpert and 2 first round picks

for

melo noah sasha and plumlee

knicks get a good young prospect in liggins, a great guy to pair with kris in thompson and 2 first picks as assets to trade or build on. knicks also get rid of noahs horrible contract.

cavs gets melo without giving up love. replacing thompson with noah may be a downgrade.. but i think noah fits well with the lineup im thinking of here.

cavs lineup

pg)lebron
sg)kyrie
sf)melo
pf)love
c)noah

bench
--
korver
frye
chalmers?
+ scrubs (sasha, james jones, birdman)

i think that starting lineup would compete with the warriors. the bench would need a little work.. but they could sign vet free agents to fill it in. that starting lineup is fire imo. this would not only be a POTENT offense but it would also be a great rebounding team surrounded with amazing shooters, and noah for the dirty work and all the other little big things he would provide this team

Giannis94
02-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Maybe like Larry Sanders?

He would be a good fit but he was a bully on the court. Constantly getting hard fouls but he was insanely fun to watch.

ManRam
02-07-2017, 02:39 PM
There is no sense to be made.

Trading Love for him is stupid. Trading TT+JR+whatever for him probably doesn't satisfy the Knicks and I think it makes the Cavs worse. We saw TT's value in the Finals...they need that post presence/rangey defense.

They need better bench players, specifically a PG or PG/SG and someone BIG. Their depth would be fine if they can upgrade there, especially if JR gets healthy.

They need tweaks, not a star IMO.

ManRam
02-07-2017, 02:43 PM
knicks get a good young prospect in liggins

Just to clarify (that trade ain't happening, but whatever)...

Liggins is about to be 29 and has never not stunk. He wasn't even a "good young prospect" when he was a rookie for the Magic however long ago that was. He can defend, but he is as useless as any player in the NBA offensively. He'll be back overseas/in the D League soon.

MTar786
02-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Just to clarify (that trade ain't happening, but whatever)...

Liggins is about to be 29 and has never not stunk. He wasn't even a "good young prospect" when he was a rookie for the Magic however long ago that was. He can defend, but he is as useless as any player in the NBA offensively. He'll be back overseas/in the D League soon.

lol.. was worth a try

although i must say... youre missing out on liggins.. hes shooting lights out this season.. better than 2016 kobe even

JOSKOMANG4
02-07-2017, 03:25 PM
3 way dance: Nyk/cle/tor

- raptors acquire f/c t.thompson & g/f shumpert.
- raptors trade g/f t.ross, f/c's sullinger & patterson, and clippers '17 1st.

L: Jonas/thompson/carroll/derozen/lowry.

- knicks acquire g/f t.ross, f/c's sullinger & patterson, and clippers '17 1st.
- knicks trade melo.

L: Noah/porzingis/ross/lee/rose.

- cavs acquire melo.
- cavs trade thompson & shumpert.

L: Love/anthony/james/korver/irving.

FlashBolt
02-07-2017, 03:29 PM
TT IMO is the third most untradable player in the Cavs. Did you guys watch the Finals? Dude was a monster for them and will be again.

Jetsguy
02-07-2017, 04:04 PM
I think a bigger question is honestly why would the Knicks trade Melo for Love? I don't see any way Love fits into the Knicks future playing the same position as their franchise future. Trotting the both of them out together would be a nightmare defensively. TT probably makes a little more sense for Knicks but less for Cavs.

FlashBolt
02-07-2017, 04:17 PM
I think a bigger question is honestly why would the Knicks trade Melo for Love? I don't see any way Love fits into the Knicks future playing the same position as their franchise future. Trotting the both of them out together would be a nightmare defensively. TT probably makes a little more sense for Knicks but less for Cavs.

1) Because they can move Porzingis to the C and Love at the PF. I think Melo has been a bit unwilling to play PF.
2) Because Love is older.
3) Because Melo is clearly not working out and there's little reason to believe it will.
4) Because Love is on a more favorable contract.
5) Because they just don't want Melo.

ManRam
02-07-2017, 04:35 PM
TT IMO is the third most untradable player in the Cavs. Did you guys watch the Finals? Dude was a monster for them and will be again.

He earned that contract for his play in the Finals alone. They don't win without him. He was their 3rd most important player without hesitation. They need that skill set more than they need a volume scorer :shrug:

Even a one-for-one swap of TT for Melo, in a vacuum, is a bad trade for Cleveland.

Vee-Rex
02-07-2017, 04:37 PM
He earned that contract for his play in the Finals alone. They don't win without him. He was their 3rd most important player without hesitation. They need that skill set more than they need a volume scorer :shrug:

Even a one-for-one swap of TT for Melo, in a vacuum, is a bad trade for Cleveland.

The majority of the people trying to force sense into Melo to Cleveland are Knicks fans. I wish they would try to understand perspective.