PDA

View Full Version : What if LeBron never never made the Finals?

Chronz
01-30-2017, 07:03 PM
How much is history altered?

Lets say, if instead of watching him score his teams final 25 PTS in 07, he instead misses on one of the 29 of his teams final 30 PTS, and Detroit closes them out. Who wins that Finals? It would have been Detroit vs SAS for the 3rd year in a row. Take away the moments that have made Bron a transcendent player and these are the following Finals;

Detroit VS San Antonio
Chicago or Boston vs Dallas
Boston VS OKC
Indiana vs SAS
Indiana vs SAS
Atlanta vs GS

Quick Notes:
Personally I think we're looking at San Antonio winning every time. In 2011 you could argue Brons best series was against Boston for his production+ownage of Pierce/KG or his lockdown D vs Rose the next series. I pictured the two teams meeting and I think Boston would have been a tough matchup for Chicago and would have won out. The Indiana selections were easy, it was a bad state in the East when a Brooklyn Nets would have been the next big threat tho they did have a great record down the stretch (RIP DMF).

The only 2 Im having trouble pinning down, Boston vs OKC and Dallas in B2B years.

So who wins? And how do those victories/defeats effect the legacies of these teams/players? Does Duncan rank even higher? Is Bron outside the Top-15? What of the Boston Big-3 era? Do Durant and Dirk grade out the same?

ewing
01-31-2017, 12:01 AM
he ranks further down. there is no doubt about it. Performing and doing enough to win in big games counts. If he never had a great squad and never won a chip but had great playoff moments in winning time you would still have to give him credit for it. He's not LeBron of course but Reggie Miller never won and I rank him higher then guys who might have had better reg season #s b/c he played better in the playoffs and he played better when his team needed a basket most. You take away all those mements from any great player of course it effects where you rank them

Dade County
01-31-2017, 02:25 AM
The East would have no championships in that timeline.

Dear goodness lol

But I also think Pat would have used that freed up Money and place players around Wade & Bosh, so the Pacers or Atl don't make it, Miami does. Homer

Chronz
01-31-2017, 03:18 AM
The East would have no championships in that timeline.

Dear goodness lol

But I also think Pat would have used that freed up Money and place players around Wade & Bosh, so the Pacers or Atl don't make it, Miami does. Homer
What freed up money?

Clint Olbrock
01-31-2017, 06:01 AM
Then his name would be Melo.

Miltstar
01-31-2017, 06:27 AM
Lebron is a lot like Trump, dont take everything you see at face value. There is a lot going on behind the scenes.

koreancabbage
01-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Lebron is a lot like Trump, dont take everything you see at face value. There is a lot going on behind the scenes.

and yet he managed to be president. the same can be said about Hillary. lol

Giannis94
01-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Then his name would be Melo.

This, except that Melo wouldn't call out his teammates and SPAK would be the most hated player in the NBA for being a cry baby with no floor to stand on

Clint Olbrock
01-31-2017, 09:53 PM
This, except that Melo wouldn't call out his teammates and SPAK would be the most hated player in the NBA for being a cry baby with no floor to stand on

Melo doesn't say anything man. Go look up interviews of JR comparing Melo and LBJ as leaders.

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Obviously, if he never made a finals appearance and had the rosters to do so, people would view him as the ultimate choker, as they would think of Magic, Bird, or Jordan had none of them ever made a finals appearance.

He'd likely be viewed even less favourably than the likes of Nique and Melo, given that his personal stats are even better and the way he has been touted by the league.

But it would depend on the reasons they lost. Is it his performance? His teammates? Injury? People might suggest that he was unlucky depending on the context.

Chronz
02-01-2017, 12:44 AM
What of the teams? Is anyone other than bron influenced?

Vee-Rex
02-01-2017, 01:09 AM
What of the teams? Is anyone other than bron influenced?

Well, I see the Spurs taking the Pistons in '07 in 6 games.

Idk, I think that Mavs team beat Chicago or Boston.

I do think the Celtics beat the Thunder in 2012. The Thunder would've probably been the favorites but they weren't as good as everyone thought IMO.

I'd bet Duncan and the Spurs get another ring vs. Indiana.

Imagine the fuel for the hate/disdain of LeBron if he never made a finals... I think people would consider him outside top 15 and Kobe would almost universally be viewed as the better player.

MarkieMark48
02-01-2017, 01:53 PM
in 18 years since the Jordan Bulls era there would be only 3 east teams that win the finals

valade16
02-01-2017, 02:27 PM
I wonder if one or multiple Championships for Duncan rises him to the Kareem category of just below MJ.

Shammyguy3
02-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Lebron would be the greatest underachiever for never making a Finals. That would be horrible. If he never won - eh, lots of greats never won. But I can't think of a single top-30 player that didn't see a single Finals

valade16
02-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Lebron would be the greatest underachiever for never making a Finals. That would be horrible. If he never won - eh, lots of greats never won. But I can't think of a single top-30 player that didn't see a single Finals

I just looked over the best ever lists from the redraft and the highest ranked players I saw who hadn't ever made a Finals were Chris Paul, Tracy McGrady and George Gervin.

Shammyguy3
02-01-2017, 08:55 PM
I just looked over the best ever lists from the redraft and the highest ranked players I saw who hadn't ever made a Finals were Chris Paul, Tracy McGrady and George Gervin.

CP3 would be a top-30 player in my eyes. So Lebron would still be top-20 probably with same production levels over his career

Clint Olbrock
02-02-2017, 03:03 PM

T-Mac went with the Spurs.

Chronz
02-02-2017, 03:06 PM
C'mon man

valade16
02-02-2017, 03:07 PM

True but I don't really count that since he played 31 minutes total and didn't score a single point

Chronz
02-02-2017, 03:21 PM
True but I don't really count that since he played 31 minutes total and didn't score a single point

Was still diming tho. And in practice he showed the spurs the mentality of a point forward. His iq was off the charts good. Would make a great assistant imo

MarkieMark48
02-02-2017, 05:04 PM

Chris Webber probably up there

phantasyyy
02-02-2017, 05:49 PM
How much is history altered?

Detroit VS San Antonio
Chicago or Boston vs Dallas
Boston VS OKC
Indiana vs SAS
Indiana vs SAS
Atlanta vs GS

Quick Notes:
Personally I think we're looking at San Antonio winning every time. In 2011 you could argue Brons best series was against Boston for his production+ownage of Pierce/KG or his lockdown D vs Rose the next series. I pictured the two teams meeting and I think Boston would have been a tough matchup for Chicago and would have won out. The Indiana selections were easy, it was a bad state in the East when a Brooklyn Nets would have been the next big threat tho they did have a great record down the stretch (RIP DMF).

The only 2 Im having trouble pinning down, Boston vs OKC and Dallas in B2B years.

So who wins? And how do those victories/defeats effect the legacies of these teams/players? Does Duncan rank even higher? Is Bron outside the Top-15? What of the Boston Big-3 era? Do Durant and Dirk grade out the same?

Of that list i see the Spurs winning every time too, with Duncan finishing his career with 7 rings :clap: Duncan more than likely also does more damage against the Pistons than the Cavs, winning his 4th straight FMVP. In the two series against the Pacers I have the FMVP going to Kawhi for his work against slowing down PG. 7 Rings puts him one above KAJ and Jordan and vaults him into the top 3 on my rankings with those two.

If Chicago emerges out of the East against the Mavs, I see the Dirk and the gang still taking care of business. If it were the Celtics I can easily see the big ticket putting the clamps down on Dirk and having that team win their 2nd and thus allowing the big 3 to actually retire in Boston as legends.

I'd take OKC over Boston as they are just too athletic and would overwhelm Boston I think. Especiallly in my scenario where Boston is looking to repeat.

Chicago is still in shambles regardless of this alternate reality, the gang in OKC doesn't get disbanded, and LeBron's legacy gets destroyed for joining a team with two stars and becomes probably the most overrated superstar in NBA history :D