PDA

View Full Version : Players possibly impacted by immigration ban

IndyRealist
01-29-2017, 05:15 PM
The NBA has reached out to the U.S. Department of State in an effort to understand how President Trumpís executive order suspending immigration and visas for citizens from certain countries will impact player travel.

"We have reached out to the State Department and are in the process of gathering information to understand how this executive order would apply to players in our league who are from one of the impacted countries," NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement. "The NBA is a global league and we are proud to attract the very best players from around the world."

Los Angeles Lakers forward Luol Deng and Milwaukee Bucks rookie Thon Maker were born in Sudan (now South Sudan), and residents from Sudan have been banned entry into the United States for three months, according to the order.

Deng is also a British citizen, and Maker has dual citizenship in Australia and South Sudan. The Bucks played in Toronto against the Raptors on Friday, and Maker had no issue clearing customs using his Australian passport upon his return to the United States. The Bucks and Lakers do not play in Toronto the rest of the season. Maker's younger brother, Matur, plays prep basketball in Canada and is being recruited by U.S. colleges.

There are several players from Sudan on American college and high school rosters. Center Choi Marial, who is from South Sudan and plays for Cheshire (Conn.) Academy, is one of the top prospects in the class of 2019 and has offers from Florida State, Georgetown, Iowa, St. John's and West Virginia, according to several recruiting sites.

Kentucky freshman Wenyen Gabriel is also from South Sudan.

Former NBA player Hamed Haddadi is from Iran, which is also on the banned list.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/01/28/nba-seeks-clarity-state-department-trump-immigration-order/97202932/

mrblisterdundee
01-30-2017, 11:56 AM
It seems like very little impact on the NBA, but it's telling how far the ban reaches.

Blitzbolt
01-30-2017, 04:11 PM
I'm sure it's going to hurt those players because I'm sure they have family members that are affected by this.

Hawkeye15
01-30-2017, 04:35 PM
nm

Miltstar
01-31-2017, 09:16 AM
It seems like very little impact on the NBA, but it's telling how far the ban reaches.

Thon Maker is an up and coming prospect with the Bucs, he has a lot of potential and is very much so affected by this ban. This is ridiculous he has done nothing wrong and deserves to be treated with respect like millions of other Americans that are being affected by this Bull**** agenda

warfelg
01-31-2017, 09:36 AM

It depends. Right now it's very few.

But if it gets challenged in court, and it's shown to have issues, and the response is to enlarge the ban and add countries....this could get very bad.

JasonJohnHorn
01-31-2017, 09:18 PM
Whether one believes in big government, or small government, left or right, I think everybody outside of those motivated by bigotry and overcome by unreasoned fear would agree that once a president, without relying on the legislative process, and in contradiction to the judicial branch and the constitution, has used his authority to the extent that we knuckleheads in a sports forum are required to start talking politics, he has simply gone too far.

This is ridiculous.

IndyRealist, thank you very much for starting the thread.

PurpleLynch
02-01-2017, 12:24 PM
In times like these you appreciate even more George Carlin:-When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.

IndyRealist
02-01-2017, 07:28 PM
I'm honestly surprised this even got 100 views. I for one think this isn't the place for politics, but it's NBA news. Thon Maker can't go home to visit family, because he might not be let back in the country. And he can't bring them here at all. Even travelling to Toronto for games is dicey, depending on how douchey TSA wants to be.

Regardless of how you feel about what's going on, everyone can agree that Thon Maker and Luol Deng are not the people supposed to be affected by this.

Chronz
02-01-2017, 07:45 PM
In times like these you appreciate even more George Carlin:-When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Really loved his later stuff when he got really cynical. That's just the tip of the ice burg too, gk held back alot

5ass
02-01-2017, 08:35 PM
I'm honestly surprised this even got 100 views. I for one think this isn't the place for politics, but it's NBA news. Thon Maker can't go home to visit family, because he might not be let back in the country. And he can't bring them here at all. Even travelling to Toronto for games is dicey, depending on how douchey TSA wants to be.

Regardless of how you feel about what's going on, everyone can agree that Thon Maker and Luol Deng are not the people supposed to be affected by this.

Not to defend Trump, but I'm pretty sure these are "alternative facts". Deng is technically British. Thon is Australian. As long as their work visa is on these passports and not their native passports, they'll be like any British/Australian living in the US.

IndyRealist
02-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Not to defend Trump, but I'm pretty sure these are "alternative facts". Deng is technically British. Thon is Australian. As long as their work visa is on these passports and not their native passports, they'll be like any British/Australian living in the US.

They have dual citizenship, meaning they are still citizens of S. Sudan and technically barred from entering the US.

5ass
02-01-2017, 10:34 PM
They have dual citizenship, meaning they are still citizens of S. Sudan and technically barred from entering the US.

No man that's not how it works. Are you also saying Sudanese Americans (that hold dual citizenship) will be subjected to the same rules? Thon and Deng probably don't even have a Sudanese passport. When they travel they most likely use their Australian/British passports. Its most likely their work visas are on those passports. It doesn't matter if they're also citizens of another country. They come into the US as citizens of England/Australia. Just like Sudanese Americans would enter the US with their American passport as US citizens.

Saddletramp
02-01-2017, 11:13 PM
No man that's not how it works. Are you also saying Sudanese Americans (that hold dual citizenship) will be subjected to the same rules? Thon and Deng probably don't even have a Sudanese passport. When they travel they most likely use their Australian/British passports. Its most likely their work visas are on those passports. It doesn't matter if they're also citizens of another country. They come into the US as citizens of England/Australia. Just like Sudanese Americans would enter the US with their American passport as US citizens.

Yeah, man. That's how it originally worked. But I don't think these racist morons know exactly what their own unAmerican laws actually entail. Apparently The Brits called good ol' Trump and he backed down immediately like a coward.

warfelg
02-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Actually.....one of my buddies at work was born in Sudan (parents were missionaries), and holds duel citizenship like Deng. He was held for a while because when he travels abroad he uses the British passport because he gets through customs faster that way.

Hawkeye15
02-02-2017, 11:02 AM

that isn't how it works dude.

It's amazing to me how different people attempt to look at something when one party does it versus another. Not calling you out, but you are clearly misinformed about this.

Alas, it's politics, which the NBA forum isn't for, so I will leave it alone. Plenty of print out there to look at if you are interested.

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 11:23 AM

It's amazing to me how different people attempt to look at something when one party does it versus another. Not calling you out, but you are clearly misinformed about this.

Alas, it's politics, which the NBA forum isn't for, so I will leave it alone. Plenty of print out there to look at if you are interested.

Funny, because that's exactly what the NBA requested clarification on. Seems like I'm on the same page as the army of lawyers the NBA has.

Hawkeye15
02-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Funny, because that's exactly what the NBA requested clarification on. Seems like I'm on the same page as the army of lawyers the NBA has.

being on the same page as the lawyers isn't an indication of anything outside following the money.

I will leave it alone. I just think it's interesting that these bans have come up prior, this ban was laid out in foundation prior to Trump, yet here we all stand. Whatever. American politics and media for ya

rhino17
02-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I just think it's interesting that these bans have come up prior, this ban was laid out in foundation prior to Trump, yet here we all stand. Whatever. American politics and media for ya

Lol

no it wasn't

Vinylman
02-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Peoples world view clouds their judgement. As you said ... it isn't even worth entertaining a discussion when people just ignore the facts...

btw... not a Trump supporter at all but I am sure if he farts to much he will be blamed for global warming

IndyRealist
02-02-2017, 04:14 PM
being on the same page as the lawyers isn't an indication of anything outside following the money.

I will leave it alone. I just think it's interesting that these bans have come up prior, this ban was laid out in foundation prior to Trump, yet here we all stand. Whatever. American politics and media for ya

That's really not true at all.

Saddletramp
02-02-2017, 06:11 PM
#alternativefacts

MygirlhatesCod
02-02-2017, 10:17 PM
whats so wrong with actually reading the document? The majority of comments in this thread are very ignorant. stop being parakeets, read the document and form your own opinions.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/31/512439121/trumps-executive-order-on-immigration-annotated

Blitzbolt
02-03-2017, 12:43 AM
Again I don't think this effects the NBA or the players in the court but I'm sure it effects their personal life and family members in and outside the country especially for the college kids and Maker (who is 19 maybe?).

Just picture it you're trying to adapt to college/NBA basketball and your family members can't really travel and see you play ect... It just has to suck.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Maker but he also has the Aussie passport.

ewing
02-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Whether one believes in big government, or small government, left or right, I think everybody outside of those motivated by bigotry and overcome by unreasoned fear would agree that once a president, without relying on the legislative process, and in contradiction to the judicial branch and the constitution, has used his authority to the extent that we knuckleheads in a sports forum are required to start talking politics, he has simply gone too far.

This is ridiculous.

IndyRealist, thank you very much for starting the thread.

Thanks JJH. That was damn good post.