PDA

View Full Version : Someone convince me Melo is worth trading for

Giannis94
01-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Gets $26 mill next year and $27 mill the following. On top of that, he seems to have a hard time fitting in wherever he goes (yes I am aware Karl is a whack job). It also seems that the Knicks do better when he is not on the court (watched a few games a while back so safe to say I know my ****).

Convince me that Melo is worth trading for, and that he has something left in the tank.

warfelg
01-28-2017, 03:59 PM
He can score in bunches. Used in small ball lineups as a PF he's devastating still to teams. He can buy into playing other styles, but I think he's never respected his teammates enough.

Let's say he goes to the Clippers and it's like a 1st, Rivers, Crawford.

Now the Clippers start:
CP3, JJ, Melo, Blake, DeAndre

But they could small ball:
CP3, JJ, PP, Melo, Speights/DeAndre/Blake

Both lineups are good. I think in this sense they either need to get another guard sent back to them, work hard to convince Ray Allen there's a ring chance, or hope to sign a stud from the DL.

Wade n Fade
01-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Melo is only worth it for a team that can trade back $ in expiring or bad contracts along with minimal assets. Melo is perfect for LAC because they can get him without trading their Big Three. What is probably holding up a deal is Courtney Lee. The Clips would want a 3 point shooter off the bench if they lose Crawford. They should go fill up the rest of their bench via buyout markets or FAs if they get Melo.

warfelg
01-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Melo is only worth it for a team that can trade back $ in expiring or bad contracts along with minimal assets. Melo is perfect for LAC because they can get him without trading their Big Three. What is probably holding up a deal is Courtney Lee. The Clips would want a 3 point shooter off the bench if they lose Crawford. They should go fill up the rest of their bench via buyout markets or FAs if they get Melo.

Hollis "40% from 3" Thompson would be a guy to bring in for the Clips.

I think the interesting one is the talks with the Celtics. They got some expiring deals, over seas assets that are toss in guys. But the downside is what it does to team defense. Like, starting: IT, Bradley, Crowder, Melo, Horford is enticing.

Giannis94
01-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Melo also needs to realize his role on the team and be fine with it. I think Melo himself thinks he is still a "star" when he's better suited in a different role

nycericanguy
01-28-2017, 04:26 PM
He's a good fit on LA, Doc got the most out of Pierce who was similar to Melo and got him to lessen his role. And CP3 and Melo are great friends and Melo does well with PG's that command respect.

He's a better fit in OKC though if he were willing to go there. Because Melo at this point is better at PF and OKC has the perfect dirty work guy in Adams to play next to Melo.

Something like Melo + Lee for Kanter, Oladipo & Sabonis would be great for OKC imo. Maybe the knicks add O'quinn as well to replace Kanter for OKC.

Adams
Melo
Roberson
Lee
Westbrook

all of a sudden Westbrook is surrounded by shooters and defensive players at SG, SF & C.

Giannis94
01-28-2017, 04:34 PM
He's a good fit on LA, Doc got the most out of Pierce who was similar to Melo and got him to lessen his role. And CP3 and Melo are great friends and Melo does well with PG's that command respect.

He's a better fit in OKC though if he were willing to go there. Because Melo at this point is better at PF and OKC has the perfect dirty work guy in Adams to play next to Melo.

Something like Melo + Lee for Kanter, Oladipo & Sabonis would be great for OKC imo. Maybe the knicks add O'quinn as well to replace Kanter for OKC.

Adams
Melo
Roberson
Lee
Westbrook

all of a sudden Westbrook is surrounded by shooters and defensive players at SG, SF & C.

I can't see the Thunder dealing dipo for him? Maybe Kanter and Sabonis. Even then that's probdbly close to equal value.

europagnpilgrim
01-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Gets $26 mill next year and $27 mill the following. On top of that, he seems to have a hard time fitting in wherever he goes (yes I am aware Karl is a whack job). It also seems that the Knicks do better when he is not on the court (watched a few games a while back so safe to say I know my ****).

Convince me that Melo is worth trading for, and that he has something left in the tank.

Guy is in his 14th season and putting up almost 23ppg, I recall a guy in his 12th season who put up almost 27ppg and was regulated to the bench the very next season

The Knicks gutted the team for this guy so its only fit that they stick with him since they gave up so much for him in a trade and could have had him a few months later with the depth they had

He would be worth it for a Clippers team if they have to give up Rivers and a filler, that's a no brainer, if he would play Olympic style then he would be a nice fit for Rockets or even the Spurs since Leonard can play the 2guard spot I would imagine

if it wasn't for his injury history I would put together a bum package for him at this stage if I were running a team on the fringe of doing something and needed a guy who can get buckets

I wouldn't give up the farm to get Lebron right now if I were a team because he is about to turn 33 next time around with even more mileage on his body minus the major injuries

Melo is worth trading for but not for anything significant like what Denver got for him when he was like 25/26yrs of age, not even close but its not a knock on him because it would work that way for any player that age

Shaq in Orlando would have never netted a Odom/Butler package, Orlando would have laughed and then hung up the phone and put a block on that number, but a older Shaq netted that deal which was I guess decent given the age/miles/injuries Shaq had endured up to that point

Giannis94
01-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Guy is in his 14th season and putting up almost 23ppg, I recall a guy in his 12th season who put up almost 27ppg and was regulated to the bench the very next season

The Knicks gutted the team for this guy so its only fit that they stick with him since they gave up so much for him in a trade and could have had him a few months later with the depth they had

He would be worth it for a Clippers team if they have to give up Rivers and a filler, that's a no brainer, if he would play Olympic style then he would be a nice fit for Rockets or even the Spurs since Leonard can play the 2guard spot I would imagine

if it wasn't for his injury history I would put together a bum package for him at this stage if I were running a team on the fringe of doing something and needed a guy who can get buckets

I wouldn't give up the farm to get Lebron right now if I were a team because he is about to turn 33 next time around with even more mileage on his body minus the major injuries

Melo is worth trading for but not for anything significant like what Denver got for him when he was like 25/26yrs of age, not even close but its not a knock on him because it would work that way for any player that age

Shaq in Orlando would have never netted a Odom/Butler package, Orlando would have laughed and then hung up the phone and put a block on that number, but a older Shaq netted that deal which was I guess decent given the age/miles/injuries Shaq had endured up to that point

It's crazy to think that that the Celtics had two players that were at similar stages in their careers as Melo is now, and ended up with 3 likely top 3 picks.

GiantsSwaGG
01-28-2017, 04:54 PM
It's crazy to think that that the Celtics had two players that were at similar stages in their careers as Melo is now, and ended up with 3 likely top 3 picks.

That's because Billy King was running the Nets.

LA4life24/8
01-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Hypotheticallly speaking of course he'd be a could be a decent "salary"- trade off for teams at the very least
(Not realistic just using it as an example for sake of my point)
For example- lakers trade mozgod+deng for melo
Lakers get rid of 2 bad contracts that are 4 years each and get melo whose only got 2 years left

warfelg
01-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Hypotheticallly speaking of course he'd be a could be a decent "salary"- trade off for teams at the very least
(Not realistic just using it as an example for sake of my point)
For example- lakers trade mozgod+deng for melo
Lakers get rid of 2 bad contracts that are 4 years each and get melo whose only got 2 years left

Why would the Knicks take on Mozgofs terrible contract when they have Noah's terrible contract too? Also does the same with Lee and Deng.

LA4life24/8
01-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Why would the Knicks take on Mozgofs terrible contract when they have Noah's terrible contract too? Also does the same with Lee and Deng.

Either you dont read or you are trying to troll me lol.... i clearly said its not realistic that i was just using that as an example to make my point.

Insert whatever team/players fits money wise along the same lines.

LA4life24/8
01-28-2017, 06:33 PM
But the point is moot because melos NTC

warfelg
01-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Even your example was a bad one though....

...There's literally a 0% chance they take on contracts longer than what they have. Most likely their going to trade him for guys expiring or one more year that are younger. Give those guys a chance to play and increase some value. Then turn around and flip those younger players for real assets.

nycericanguy
01-28-2017, 08:01 PM
I can't see the Thunder dealing dipo for him? Maybe Kanter and Sabonis. Even then that's probdbly close to equal value.

maybe, but i actually think Lee is a better fit alongside Westbrook. can shoot and defend and has more size. Oladipo was never the best fit with WB and if you add Melo with WB you don't really need a 3rd scorer, you want 3 & D guys around those guys.

OKC could be a darkhorse if they made that trade. Knicks could add someone like Holiday as well. I think a blockbuster trade could work with those 2 teams if Melo was willing.

mrblisterdundee
01-28-2017, 09:07 PM
How about Rajon Rondo, Taj Gibson, Doug McDermott and either its first-rounder or Sacramento's for Carmelo Anthony?
Rondo brings a lot of baggage and would likely be no more than a backup, but his contract is one year shorter and about $51 million less expensive. McDermott is 25, shoots like Kyle Korver and has even more offensive versatility. Gibson is a steely veteran and expiring contract. The pick helps get another guard.
Chicago essentially trades McDermott and a first-round pick for Anthony, who could play small-ball four or small forward in Chicago, providing some more versatility. He shoots better than Jimmy Butler or Dwyane Wade. Chicago would still have Isaiah Canaan and Jerian Grant to try out at point guard, and will still likely have a first-rounder to help address that need.

Giannis94
01-28-2017, 09:29 PM
How about Rajon Rondo, Taj Gibson, Doug McDermott and either its first-rounder or Sacramento's for Carmelo Anthony?
Rondo brings a lot of baggage and would likely be no more than a backup, but his contract is one year shorter and about $51 million less expensive. McDermott is 25, shoots like Kyle Korver and has even more offensive versatility. Gibson is a steely veteran and expiring contract. The pick helps get another guard.
Chicago essentially trades McDermott and a first-round pick for Anthony, who could play small-ball four or small forward in Chicago, providing some more versatility. He shoots better than Jimmy Butler or Dwyane Wade. Chicago would still have Isaiah Canaan and Jerian Grant to try out at point guard, and will still likely have a first-rounder to help address that need.

Adding more dysfunction to a in implosion in progress.

JOSKOMANG4
01-28-2017, 10:29 PM
4 way trade: LAC/NYK/BOS/ORL

Clippers acquire Melo & 2019 Memphis 1st rd pick.
Clippers trade Blake.

L: Jordan/Luc/Melo/JJ/CP3

Knicks acquire F/C A.Johnson, F A.Gordon, & 2017 Magic 1st rd pick.
Knicks trade Melo.

L: Noah/Porzingis/Gordon/Lee/Rose

C's acquires C Vucevic
C's trade A.Johnson & Memphis '19 1sr rd pick.

L: Vucevic/horford/crowder/Bradley/IT

Magic acquire PF B.Griffin
Magic trade Vucevic, Gordon, & '17 1st

L: Byombio/Griffin/Green/Fournier/DJ

Bostonjorge
01-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Melo can put a established team like the clippers over the top or in the Warriors and cavs tier. Boston could use melo without losing anyone just a draft pick and bench player. Memphis, pacers, Utah and raptors whould love to PLUG in melo without losing a big piece. Melo is not finished, just finished as a 1st option.

Even the Bucks would love to plug in Melo.

LegendDenzo
01-28-2017, 11:25 PM
Melo also needs to realize his role on the team and be fine with it. I think Melo himself thinks he is still a "star" when he's better suited in a different role

Ummm you don't know what you're talking about.. You can't just say things without knowing your facts, just to blow smoke out of your ***...

Melo has time and time again said he would be more than willing to be the number 2 guy if they were to bring in another star that is better than him. They never did. Then they got Porzingis. Melo has been handing off the baton to Porzingis to be the leader of this team all season, starting last year when Porzingis showed his value.. For some reason Hornacek doesn't like playing Porzingis in the 4th quarter especially in crunch time, and that really hurts the team and Porzingis' growth. Hornacek doesn't draw up plays for Porzingis to take the final shots in games. So that has nothing to do with Melo taking a lesser role. And there is no better player on the Knicks than Melo to close out games so he has to do what he does to try and win games for the Knicks.

Phil hasn't done anything but trade away key pieces for absolutely NOTHING... JR Smith, Tyson Chandler, Shump all traded away for NOTHING..... smh.. why couldn't he trade all 3 of those players for 1 good player? sh1t makes no sense at all.. instead we got like a 2nd round pick and Calderon.. wtf kind of management is that.. then signed a horrible contract in Noah. Porzingis fell into the Knicks lap.. that wasn't Phil working his magic. he has no magic. Knicks Management is really horrible. It has nothing to do with Melo. Bring in another star and try to build what we have.

This whole mess has NOTHING to do with Melo. so all the Knicks fans that are saying trade Melo are clueless.. wtf do you expect in return at this point? Austin Rivers?? hahahaha kid is in the top 5% of worst players in the league.. only in the league cuz of Doc. Trade Melo and guarantee no stars are ever coming here. Melo has been here for long enough to have another star come to NY or trade for one. Hasn't happened cuz Phil is worthless.

Don't Trade Melo, Fire Phil..

LegendDenzo
01-28-2017, 11:34 PM
4 way trade: LAC/NYK/BOS/ORL

Clippers acquire Melo & 2019 Memphis 1st rd pick.
Clippers trade Blake.

L: Jordan/Luc/Melo/JJ/CP3

Knicks acquire F/C A.Johnson, F A.Gordon, & 2017 Magic 1st rd pick.
Knicks trade Melo.

L: Noah/Porzingis/Gordon/Lee/Rose

C's acquires C Vucevic
C's trade A.Johnson & Memphis '19 1sr rd pick.

L: Vucevic/horford/crowder/Bradley/IT

Magic acquire PF B.Griffin
Magic trade Vucevic, Gordon, & '17 1st

L: Byombio/Griffin/Green/Fournier/DJ

What a Horrible Trade idea HAHAHAHAHA

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Bucks front office did have interest in Crawford a long time ago if that means anything now who knows. But if Clippers/Knicks needed a third team for Crawford. Bucks could flip Henson out going. My guess Knicks get Henson. Not so sure they want him. His salary decreases each season. Henson be decent insurance incase Noah doesn't hold up. Only reason Bucks take on more salary now in Crawford is cause his final year is only $3M guaranteed. Bucks maybe could toss in this years second rounder #44 so far as a tiny sweetener.

Jamal Crawford $13,253,012 $14,246,988 $14,500,000

John Henson $12,267,606 $11,422,536 $10,577,466 $9,732,396

GiantsSwaGG
01-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Bucks front office did have interest in Crawford a long time ago if that means anything now who knows. But if Clippers/Knicks needed a third team for Crawford. Bucks could flip Henson out going. My guess Knicks get Henson. Not so sure they want him. His salary decreases each season. Henson be decent insurance incase Noah doesn't hold up. Only reason Bucks take on more salary now in Crawford is cause his final year is only $3M guaranteed. Bucks maybe could toss in this years second rounder #44 so far as a tiny sweetener.

Jamal Crawford $13,253,012 $14,246,988 $14,500,000

John Henson $12,267,606 $11,422,536 $10,577,466 $9,732,396

I thought you like Henson?

IndyRealist
01-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Melo can put a established team like the clippers over the top or in the Warriors and cavs tier. Boston could use melo without losing anyone just a draft pick and bench player. Memphis, pacers, Utah and raptors whould love to PLUG in melo without losing a big piece. Melo is not finished, just finished as a 1st option.

Even the Bucks would love to plug in Melo.

The Pacers would most definitely not.

Giannis94
01-29-2017, 11:58 AM
I can't see Utah trading for him. I think an underrated team for him would be NO. Can't hurt in anyway.

Heediot
01-29-2017, 12:07 PM
I think It's Clippers, Cavs and outside chance Boston or bust. Utah, NO and OKC can make their pitch, but he'll have to agree to waive his NTC.

ManRam
01-29-2017, 12:16 PM
You don't need to be convinced; just look how ****** the trade market is for him.

Giannis94
01-29-2017, 12:42 PM
If I am NO I would seriously consider not trading for Melo because the reason they are where they are is that they haven't had top 3 lottery picks outside of Davis and have been in the hamster wheel of mediocrity picking in the late lottery. For that reason I would scratch trading for Melo as he would likely increase their Wins by a few and instead aim for the lottery 3-6 range which is achievable IMHO.

dhopisthename
01-29-2017, 01:24 PM
I can't see Utah trading for him. I think an underrated team for him would be NO. Can't hurt in anyway.

I think the Jazz could really use him at the 4 this year, but would he even waive his no trade clause to go to Utah? I don't think he would.

Giannis94
01-29-2017, 01:28 PM
I think the Jazz could really use him at the 4 this year, but would he even waive his no trade clause to go to Utah? I don't think he would.

Would he wave it? Its a no brainer. NYK is currently going through an implosion and the Jazz are a top 7 team in the NBA any way you dice it.

If Melo fails to waive his NTC to the Jazz, then he deserves to stay with the Knicks as a bench player for the duration of his contract.

mrblisterdundee
01-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Adding more dysfunction to a in implosion in progress.

You're cutting a year and nearly $51 million off of Anthony's bloated contract, cutting another $9 million this summer after Gibson goes and adding young talent and a first-round draft pick to help move on from Anthony. How is that not a positive outcome?
New York doesn't even have to play Rondo for that trade to work out. They could buy him out for way cheaper than Anthony, or just tell him to stay away from the team if he causes issues. And if Rondo decides to give a **** in a contract year, he could even provide New York a serviceable point guard, one who runs an offense better than Rose.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-29-2017, 01:31 PM
I thought you like Henson?

Nah. Bucks got way to much money tied up at center position.

dhopisthename
01-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Would he wave it? Its a no brainer. NYK is currently going through an implosion and the Jazz are a top 7 team in the NBA any way you dice it.

If Melo fails to waive his NTC to the Jazz, then he deserves to stay with the Knicks as a bench player for the duration of his contract.

he forced his way to New York. I doubt he wants to go back to a small town like Salt Lake City

Giannis94
01-29-2017, 04:16 PM
he forced his way to New York. I doubt he wants to go back to a small town like Salt Lake City

Really what it comes down to (say Utah has a trade on the table that NYK has agreed to hypothetically) is either A.) play for a contender that could make it to the WCF if things go right or B.) Play for a team which you clearly don't "fit" on, in the (arguably) biggest market in the NBA.

I assume he would also save $$ with taxes if he gets dealt to UT. Also, I strongly believe that Melo would consider going to a small market team. I think the big market/NYC is getting to him. It could have worked better in Denver, but that team had so many high strung personalities, lead by a Coward (with a capital "C") I can see why it didn't work.

JasonJohnHorn
01-29-2017, 04:35 PM
The last time I thought Melo was good, I was riding high of the Nuggets run the the conference finals. In hindsight, I was wrong to project that success onto him: that was Billups.

Melo is Mark Aguirre. I really see no difference, except that Melo is perhaps not as good on defense, and thinks he should be the first option.

His lazy-@$$ defensive efforts kill me. They kill me. I watch them and I think: this guy doesn't even want to win. I remember Vince Carter pulling that $#!T the season he was forcing a trade from TO, and even in NJ, when they were chasing a playoff spot, he was dogging it, and J-Kidd got on his @$$ and made him try and called him out and showed him how it was done. And they ended up going on a winning streak when they were a few games behind that last seed and managed to top Cleveland in LBJ's second year to get the 8th spot. You won't see Melo lead a team like that.

You get paid that much, you need to be a fawking leader. You get 20 million+, it's not because you are good, it's because you are going to push yourself and push others, and lead a team. That's my opinion; maybe I'm wrong.

Melo is being a leader, but he is being a leader in that he is encouraging teammates to give up on plays and take the easy way out. Yes, Phil Jackson has been a distraction, but Melo is letting that be an excuse, and he's checked out already. Jackson's biggest mistake is not trading Melo in the last year of his contract. His second biggest mistake is not letting him walk away in free agency.

You put Melo on an elite team like GSW, or Cleveland, or even SAS, and the team doesn't improve unless Melo is willing to take a roll off the bench. He is a less efficient option than the options those teams already have. And frankly, I'm not even sure that the Clippers would improve with him that much, though I do think CP3 is just the kind of player that Melo needs beside him to hold him accountable.