PDA

View Full Version : East vs West 2017

Scoots
01-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Was reading the New Orleans Times Picayune power rankings and noticed that 1-5 and 8 are western teams, while 6, 7, 9, and 10 are Eastern teams.

Is that reasonable? Has the East/West gap which so clearly narrowed last year expanded again?

It looks to me like the top of the West has become stronger while the bottom is weaker while the top of the East is not as strong as it was but the bottom is considerably stronger than it was.

warfelg
01-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Sounds about right. Although I would still have the Cavs about 3 or 4.

mngopher35
01-28-2017, 02:57 PM
I think if healthy at most there are 4 teams that can win it all this year, 3 being from the west (gs, Spurs, clips and cle from east). The only difference there from last year is that there is one less west team on my list (okc) and the top of the west added that teams best player creating a gap.

As for the teams outside of the main contenders I think the east is slowly making up ground in the bottom/middle like you say.

Giannis94
01-28-2017, 04:14 PM
I think if healthy at most there are 4 teams that can win it all this year, 3 being from the west (gs, Spurs, clips and cle from east). The only difference there from last year is that there is one less west team on my list (okc) and the top of the west added that teams best player creating a gap.

As for the teams outside of the main contenders I think the east is slowly making up ground in the bottom/middle like you say.

If you include the Clipps, you surely gotta include the Jazz, and Rockets, no?

mngopher35
01-28-2017, 04:19 PM

If you include the Clipps, you surely gotta include the Jazz, and Rockets, no?

I was basing it on if healthy so no I wouldn't. I might be a little higher on the clippers than others but when healthy I don't think they are that far off from Spurs/cle.

Giannis94
01-28-2017, 04:21 PM
I was basing it on if healthy so no I wouldn't. I might be a little higher on the clippers than others but when healthy I don't think they are that far off from Spurs/cle.

I was also basing mine on if healthy. I think LAC is in the Utah, Houston tier.

GSW

SA

CLE

Utah
LAC
HOU

Everyone else starting with the Raptors?

mngopher35
01-28-2017, 04:36 PM
I was also basing mine on if healthy. I think LAC is in the Utah, Houston tier.

GSW

SA

CLE

Utah
LAC
HOU

Everyone else starting with the Raptors?

I think Raptors can be mentioned right behind/with Houston/Utah probably. Houston is a team that seems to be playing very well but who I just have trouble truly believing in, they might have to prove it to me come playoffs with Dantoni/Harden but do gotta give credit for their current play. Utah I think might be just behind those two.

To me GS is the clear cut favorite like you have but I would put Spurs/Cavs together and then just below them have the clippers. Clippers when healthy have better top level talent than the teams below them and given their record/SRS is similar to Toronto/Utah with all of the injuries they have been going through I think having them a tier above when healthy is fair.

GS

Cleveland/Spurs (can't decide)
Clippers

Houston
Toronto
Utah

That is what mine probably looks like and I consider tiers being where the gaps are. Only first two tiers are true contenders imo while the Houston/Toronto/Utah types might win a series match up but won't be beating multiple teams above them.

Scoots
01-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Look at the under-performing teams for each conference and it looks like the East should be better than it is based on talent/pre-season evaluations with the Bucks, Bulls, Pistons, Hornets, and maybe the Magic underperforming. For comparison in the West really only the Wolves and Blazers are underperforming.

mngopher35
01-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Look at the under-performing teams for each conference and it looks like the East should be better than it is based on talent/pre-season evaluations with the Bucks, Bulls, Pistons, Hornets, and maybe the Magic underperforming. For comparison in the West really only the Wolves and Blazers are underperforming.

I mean Bucks lost Middleton but outside that I really don't know if any of those teams were expected to do much either, it's kind of a toss up in that clutter of teams probably after Boston (who's behind cle/raps). A few teams being a little behind expectations (and a couple jumping up) etc is a pretty normal season and as you mentioned there are a couple drops in the west too.

I think it is pretty similar overall landscape just that GS jumped (higher) above everyone and OKC dropped outta contention.

Giannis94
01-29-2017, 02:16 PM
I think Raptors can be mentioned right behind/with Houston/Utah probably. Houston is a team that seems to be playing very well but who I just have trouble truly believing in, they might have to prove it to me come playoffs with Dantoni/Harden but do gotta give credit for their current play. Utah I think might be just behind those two.

To me GS is the clear cut favorite like you have but I would put Spurs/Cavs together and then just below them have the clippers. Clippers when healthy have better top level talent than the teams below them and given their record/SRS is similar to Toronto/Utah with all of the injuries they have been going through I think having them a tier above when healthy is fair.

GS

Cleveland/Spurs (can't decide)
Clippers

Houston
Toronto
Utah

That is what mine probably looks like and I consider tiers being where the gaps are. Only first two tiers are true contenders imo while the Houston/Toronto/Utah types might win a series match up but won't be beating multiple teams above them.

There is no way LAC is on SAS's tier. I also think the Cavs are a tier below the Spurs. If they were in the WC they would be the #3 seed behind SAS by at least 3-4 games IMO.

mngopher35
01-29-2017, 02:38 PM
I am less concerned with their regular season play/seed and basing it more off talent/ability we have seen especially come post season. Sas is a great team but separating them and putting them over the recent champs is a stretch IMO. We saw a couple years back the clippers beat sas in a series and I feel like when healthy they are close enough to their level to do the same again (at least keep it close). Spurs are better but there isn't much of a gap, clippers have the better top end talent still.

I probably just think of sas a little different then you it seems.