PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook snubbed as All Star Starter for Curry

HandsOnTheWheel
01-20-2017, 08:59 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18513695/russell-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-not-2017-nba-all-star-game-starters

I thought Harden and Westbrook were sure-fire picks to start. Thoughts? Did they get it right?

Scoots
01-20-2017, 09:06 AM
From another thread:

That game was the perfect snap shot of Russell Westbrook. Amazing athletic plays, amazing strength, quickness, and explosion. He recorded a quadruple double. But he forgot to dribble the ball, and not for just one step but for about 6, he shot 34% on 23 shots for the game and 17% from 3, and had 10 turnovers.

I really think he's doing too much, but that's always been his game.

He's going to be an all-star ... it's the efficiency that is dragging him down.

LA4life24/8
01-20-2017, 01:15 PM
The starters are a fan vote, no? So he wasnt snubbed there is just more dubs fans right now than thunder fans.

It would be a snub if westy wasnt picked as back up, which wont happen.

Wouldn't he surprised if westy wins mvp this year for ASG

warfelg
01-20-2017, 01:17 PM
The starters are a fan vote, no? So he wasnt snubbed there is just more dubs fans right now than thunder fans.

It would be a snub if westy wasnt picked as back up, which wont happen.

Wouldn't he surprised if westy wins mvp this year for ASG

50% fan
25% Media
25% Players (only 60-70% of players voted though)

Vee-Rex
01-20-2017, 01:36 PM
I think Westy should've won the starting position, but I don't think that it was outrageous to have Curry start either. Curry is the better player and the voting was close, so I'm cool with that.

I'm interested in seeing Westy and Durant play together again.

SteBO
01-20-2017, 02:07 PM
^Yeah not sure I entirely get the outrage here. Curry is the more popular player for starters, he's on a team that's winning a helluva lot more, and he's the better player imo. Is Westy having a better season? Absolutely. But that hasn't stopped people before....and it's circumstantial. Westbrook will be on the team anyway.

mrblisterdundee
01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Just like others, I'm not that outraged that Curry got picked, but I do think Westbrook should have been the starter. He's less efficient than Curry. But that's partially a product of his situation. Curry (and Durant) would be less efficient if he was on this year's Thunder.
Also, did voters not realize how awesomely uncomfortable it would be to have Westbrook start with Durant after their awkward breakup? Would Westbrook pass the ball to Durant — or even look at him? That's the biggest story line of the all-star game, in my opinion.

Avenged
01-20-2017, 03:15 PM
The fans get it wrong once again. Not a big deal like others have said, but he deserved it. But hey goes to show the talent the league has at the guard position.

tredigs
01-20-2017, 03:35 PM
I'm just happy the East has 3 small forwards and no PF/Center, or Jimmy Butler or Giannis would have been snubbed by LeBron for their starting spot. Phew, dodged a bullet.

koreancabbage
01-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Its not like Curry isn't an all star either. Not that big of a deal.

However, it should really be the two top MVP candidates - Harden and Westbrook - as the starting backcourt.

TheDish87
01-20-2017, 04:11 PM
I'm just happy the East has 3 small forwards and no PF/Center, or Jimmy Butler or Giannis would have been snubbed by LeBron for their starting spot. Phew, dodged a bullet.

instead Embiid was snubbed!

mngopher35
01-20-2017, 04:12 PM
Ya as others have said this isn't a big deal, kinda expected with all of the warriors fans now (him or Harden, thought Harden had less fans than westy actually). All 3 are elite guys so someone was going to have to be left off.

TheDish87
01-20-2017, 04:59 PM
all this means is Westy is winning MVP

smith&wesson
01-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Wow the west gaurds are unreal. All 3 deserve to start ... Theres atleast 5 gaurds in the west who could be deserving actually

mightybosstone
01-20-2017, 07:20 PM
From another thread:

He's going to be an all-star ... it's the efficiency that is dragging him down.

I was about to counter this point, but then I looked at Westbrook's stats this year. Holy Jesus.... Yeah, the guy is averaging a triple double, but his FG% is the lowest it's been in seven years and his TS% is still below average despite 10 and a half free throws a game.

Although, I seriously doubt that fans didn't vote for Westbrook because of that. Fans are idiots. These are the same people who would have voted in freakin' Zaza. But I do think that inefficiency will hurt Westy come MVP voting time.

warfelg
01-20-2017, 07:26 PM
I was about to counter this point, but then I looked at Westbrook's stats this year. Holy Jesus.... Yeah, the guy is averaging a triple double, but his FG% is the lowest it's been in seven years and his TS% is still below average despite 10 and a half free throws a game.

Although, I seriously doubt that fans didn't vote for Westbrook because of that. Fans are idiots. These are the same people who would have voted in freakin' Zaza. But I do think that inefficiency will hurt Westy come MVP voting time.

I really think that the Zaza thing what people just listing the Warriors entire starting lineup and it's getting retweeted because Curry, Klay, KD, Green. Add in home countries are typically overwhelming ballots for countrymen and really we shouldn't be shocked by Zaza.

tredigs
01-20-2017, 07:53 PM
I really think that the Zaza thing what people just listing the Warriors entire starting lineup and it's getting retweeted because Curry, Klay, KD, Green. Add in home countries are typically overwhelming ballots for countrymen and really we shouldn't be shocked by Zaza.

It's all his home country of Georgia, not regular bball fans or Warriors fans. Hence the same thing happening last year on the Mavs. The country just really wants to get him in for some reason (or they're "hacking" the new easily manipulable voting system, also highly possible).

AS Game selections and the game itself are a joke anyway. This shouldn't get anybody too riled.

And if you're upset (not you yourself warfeg) a top 3 player and the b2b MVP in his prime who's helping to lead the best team in the league is an All-Star, you just don't get how voting works. It's not like this was a lifetime achievement vote for Kobe. He's still better than Westbrook and Harden, even if their particular situations have altered the numbers in their favor.

Burkey3472
01-20-2017, 08:09 PM
I honestly think people are way to big a deal of this. Sure, Westbrook does deserve to start over Curry but both were/are going to make the All Star team and ultimately starting in a trick shot/dunk contest shouldn't be the end of the world. The only way I see an issue is if players get extra bonus money in their contract for starting an all star game. I know a lot of player get bonus money for making the team but I am not aware if they get more money for starting.

Sly Guy
01-20-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm not a westbrook fan, but even I think he deserved the nod over curry this season.

Jamiecballer
01-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Curry is the better player so all is as it should be. If it's any consolation Westbrook still stands to win the tries to do too much award.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

lol, please
01-20-2017, 10:26 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18513695/russell-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-not-2017-nba-all-star-game-starters

I thought Harden and Westbrook were sure-fire picks to start. Thoughts? Did they get it right?

Curry is the right answer here.

Toxeryll
01-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Of course, GS and CLE players would have the most number of votes. Outside of North America, no one has a local team so usually, everyone would vote for the players who are in the Finals the past couple of years. Take the Philippines for example, everyone is either a CLE fan or a GS fan.

JasonJohnHorn
01-20-2017, 11:52 PM
More than two guys deserve a spot in the back court. That is the beginning and end of the conversation.

At the end of the day, as impressive as Westy's averages are, Harden and Curry are playing at an elite levels on teams with better records and have better efficiency.

Curry is the reigning MVP, a champion, and is leading his team to a pace of 70-wins for the second year in a row, which has never been done before.

Harden is averaging 29 points and 20 ast/rbs a game. Westy is getting 30 pts and 21 rbs/asts a game. Not a significant difference in terms of averages, but Harden has a much better percentage. Their turnovers are about the same.

So... yeah... there is an argument for all three...so there are no wrong choices, but there will always be somebody left on the outside.

zn23
01-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Curry is a better shooter than Westbrook, but that's about it.

Curry couldn't physically do what Russell Westbrook is doing right now. If the positions were switched and Curry tried to go for a triple double he'd be finished half way through a season.

I think there's something to be said about going for an individual achievement like this. I think LeBron might be the only other player in the league who could pull off what Westbrook is doing if he really wanted. Maybe Harden too. Not Curry.

Allphakenny1
01-21-2017, 01:52 AM

Curry couldn't physically do what Russell Westbrook is doing right now. If the positions were switched and Curry tried to go for a triple double he'd be finished half way through a season.

I think there's something to be said about going for an individual achievement like this. I think LeBron might be the only other player in the league who could pull off what Westbrook is doing if he really wanted. Maybe Harden too. Not Curry.

I agree with all of this, but you are ignoring the opposite of this argument. Curry clearly has a higher BBIQ and is a far less selfish player than Westbrook. If you put Westbrook on the Warriors they would not be as good of a team and have much less of a chance of winning a championship.

If you are asking me if I would rather have a player put up triple doubles with no championship, or lower stats and a championship, it is not even an argument.

tredigs
01-21-2017, 02:16 AM

Curry is a better player than Westbrook. He's a smarter player on both ends, and a far more dangerous weapon offensively when unleashed. Don't confuse roles with dominance. But I do agree that Westbrook is a better rebounding PG than Curry (the triple double fascination), so there is that. And if you define dominance by rebounding ability from your PG, then we can leave it at that.

KnicksorBust
01-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Does anyone really remember who starts? I have never heard anyone reference that when describing a player. "Kobe made X all star games with Y starts!"

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2017, 08:27 AM
if you define dominance by rebounding ability from your PG, then we can leave it at that.

This is is. Rebounding is a bonus from a point guard. It's something you go to as a tie breaker. If a PG is obsessed with chasing down boards, it can actually distract from his game/role.

Westy is great and I admire what he's doing and will be talking about ti for decades, because even if every All-star in the league had a chance to try for a 3D season like him, very few if any could achieve it (I'd say maybe LBJ). But.... when Kidd and Magic got big rebounding numbers as PGs, you never got the sense that they were chasing rebounds to pad stats. Magic was just on a fast-paced team with long rebounds and lots of possessions and sometimes played positions other than PG (especially when Norm Nixon was still on the team) so coupled with his height, he got lots of boards. With Kidd, he was just a 100% hustle all the time. You felt like other guys on his team weren't working for the boards and he was trying to light a fire under their ***.

With Westy... and this may be unfair, you feel like he's trying to get the 3D game every night. And there's a big difference between getting one organically, and trying to get one. I feel like if Bird and Magic, and LBJ tried to get one every night, they would have averaged a 3D game. But they put their team's success first. Now... with Westy... his team may actually be more successful if he posts a 3D game... they need the help. And in his defense, despite losing Harden, Sefolosha, then Ibaka and Durant.... the core of a championship team over a few years, and an MVP player and All-Defensive player this offseason, a team that most though would be a 20-odd-win team is over .500 and in the playoffs in the west. So he's getting Ws too.

Still.... rebounds from a point guard are a bonus, not the thing you define them by.

All three guys (Curry, Harden and Westy) deserve to be starters, but there are only three spots. CP3 has had to deal with this a number of times. That's how it works with subjective matters.

BKLYNpigeon
01-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Who cares, it's just the AllStar games that really means nothing.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Voting in the NBA All Star game has always been bad.

Clint Olbrock
01-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Wes is having a MUCH better year and it's not even close..

Wes has a better assist to turnover ratio than Curry.. On an incredibly high usage rate.

People try to dump on Wes rebounding numbers for the simple fact Curry cant do it, he could never imagine battling down there for boards.. His body simply wouldn't allow it.

Wes is still putting up similar assist numbers that he did last season WITH KD on his team, he is getting assists off no name guys.. No guys who are green light go ahead shooters/scorers..

Also putting up 30 PPG while averaging a triple-double.. Something most players can't even do in a single game.

Wes has a higher PER too, let's not forget the widely sought after RPM that everyone is enamored with.. Yeah, Wes has a higher RPM than Curry too.

Wes led in player and media voting.. Barely lost in popular(fan) vote so they gift it to Curry based on past and previous accomplishments.. Turning it into a lifetime achievement award, which it shouldn't be.

IDC if the dude's name is Farty McButtcheeks.. If he is averaging a triple-double.. As a guard, mind you.. He deserves to start.

Curry doesn't deserve the start, Westbrook does.. End of story.

tredigs
01-21-2017, 09:47 PM
And as the 4th top Small Forward in PER this season, you clearly agree LBJ being an All Star starter is somewhat of a home lifetime achievement award, yes Clint?

eDush
01-22-2017, 12:36 AM
I'm with Durant on this one....Westy should be a starter for the West with his numbers and the team's record. Glad Steph is going instead tho as he is my favorite active sports athlete :).

tredigs
01-22-2017, 02:25 AM
Btw , the vote ended in a tie and fan vote was the tie breaker. Your ignorance annoys me. You're a tool Clit.

Clint Olbrock
01-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Btw , the vote ended in a tie and fan vote was the tie breaker. Your ignorance annoys me. You're a tool Clit.

So are you bud.. The vote did not, their "score" was a 3 way tie, in which the player having the inferior season was gifted the spot because of ignorant fans like you.

tredigs
01-22-2017, 07:49 AM
So are you bud.. The vote did not, their "score" was a 3 way tie, in which the player having the inferior season was gifted the spot because of ignorant fans like you.

It was a weighted vote that ended in a tie, with the tiebreaker going to the fans you dunce. And I assure you I was not one of them, I could care less who starts. I just find it funny some tools thinking the MVP starting an ASG is noteworthy.

Clint Olbrock
01-22-2017, 10:48 AM
It was a weighted vote that ended in a tie, with the tiebreaker going to the fans you dunce. And I assure you I was not one of them, I could care less who starts. I just find it funny some tools thinking the MVP starting an ASG is noteworthy.

Curry isn't this season's MVP you "dunce".. Get off his jock.

tredigs
01-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Curry isn't this season's MVP you "dunce".. Get off his jock.

Lmao. He's the incumbent MVP, that is his title. But I'm sure you don't consider the Cavs the champs, right?

Clint Olbrock
01-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Lmao. He's the incumbent MVP, that is his title. But I'm sure you don't consider the Cavs the champs, right?

The defending MVP.. Nope never heard that phrase before.

The defending NBA Champs.. Yup, hear that phrase every season.

Quit trying to "son" me little boy, you have already been roasted to the MAX.. To refresh your memory..

"So 1 game played at home in a game you won by a point in a controversial finish is how you determine the best over the course of the season? Gotchya. Quite the BBIQ you've got there I must say.

By the way, the trolly term you are going for is 'choked' big guy." - tredigs

in response "Flop- (of a performer or show) be completely unsuccessful; fail totally.

Flopped is what I meant, why I said it, "big guy". You are just so stuck on one play so you ASSUMED that is what I was referencing. When I clearly said 4th quarter not final play of the game reading comprehension, "big guy", try it sometime.

BBIQ- Based on a player’s court awareness, anticipation, defense, and offense.

Not sure what my BBIQ has to do with determining the best team in the NBA, but sure thing bud."

:win:

One Nut Kruk
01-22-2017, 01:13 PM
I'm kinda confused but I think that is somebody patting themself on the back on a sports forum?

HandsOnTheWheel
01-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Lol

JAZZNC
01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
I'm kinda confused but I think that is somebody patting themself on the back on a sports forum?

Clint is just a douche that likes to talk really big. But hey there's always gonna be internet tough guys. Just gotta deal with it I guess.

OT, it's not a snub when the 2 time reigning MVP is the guy picked over you. And yes Curry is the better player. Kinda simple really and just isn't a big deal in the grand scheme I things.

IndyRealist
01-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Of course, GS and CLE players would have the most number of votes. Outside of North America, no one has a local team so usually, everyone would vote for the players who are in the Finals the past couple of years. Take the Philippines for example, everyone is either a CLE fan or a GS fan.

There's a significant Pacers fandom in the Phillipines. They went over and did clinics and preseason games several years in a row.

Clint Olbrock
01-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Clint is just a douche that likes to talk really big. But hey there's always gonna be internet tough guys. Just gotta deal with it I guess.

OT, it's not a snub when the 2 time reigning MVP is the guy picked over you. And yes Curry is the better player. Kinda simple really and just isn't a big deal in the grand scheme I things.

Outta left field, with no knowledge.. Welcome.

For the millionth time.. It's not a lifetime achievement award.. Damn, bro.. Keep up. Been covered NUMEROUS times already.

His previous accomplishments mean jack diddly in regards to this season... Westbrook is having the better season, not really hard to see or grasp that concept.

JAZZNC
01-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Outta left field, with no knowledge.. Welcome.

For the millionth time.. It's not a lifetime achievement award.. Damn, bro.. Keep up. Been covered NUMEROUS times already.

His previous accomplishments mean jack diddly in regards to this season... Westbrook is having the better season, not really hard to see or grasp that concept.
I'm keeping up just fine "bro". It's really not a big deal but you seem to be really heated about it so whatever, it's your world.

Shammyguy3
01-22-2017, 09:16 PM
And as the 4th top Small Forward in PER this season, you clearly agree LBJ being an All Star starter is somewhat of a home lifetime achievement award, yes Clint?

Interesting - who are the other small forwards?

Clint Olbrock
01-22-2017, 09:40 PM

Make a case for what player(s) should be starting in his place and I'll listen, chief.

IKnowHoops
01-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Westbrook deserves the start. I'd rather have Curry though. His offensive efficiency and range are just to hard to pass up.

tredigs
01-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Interesting - who are the other small forwards?

Kawhi/KD/Giannis. All have higher WS/48 also. Jimmy Butler has a higher RPM and WS/48. Can make an argument LBJ is the 5th best Small Forward in the league thus far based on that and the fact that they've all arguably been more impressive defensively (Jimmy's the only one I'm not sure about, I know KD/Giannis/Kawhi have).

Hawkeye15
01-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Kawhi/KD/Giannis. All have higher WS/48 also. Jimmy Butler has a higher RPM and WS/48. Can make an argument LBJ is the 5th best Small Forward in the league thus far based on that and the fact that they've all arguably been more impressive defensively (Jimmy's the only one I'm not sure about, I know KD/Giannis/Kawhi have).

LeBron is, and should be, clearly getting a pass for reputation, and the fact that he again showed the world he is the best player on the planet when it mattered. And LeBron mailed in elite regular season defense like 4 years ago. The all timers typically get 4-5 years of accolades they might not really deserve thrown on to the tail end of their primes.

But yeah, if we are going to just throw out stats, then consistency matters when using the argument.

tredigs
01-23-2017, 12:47 PM
LeBron is, and should be, clearly getting a pass for reputation, and the fact that he again showed the world he is the best player on the planet when it mattered. And LeBron mailed in elite regular season defense like 4 years ago. The all timers typically get 4-5 years of accolades they might not really deserve thrown on to the tail end of their primes.

But yeah, if we are going to just throw out stats, then consistency matters when using the argument.

Trust me, I'm not stupid enough to think LBJ being an All Star starter or considering him a top player still this year is a snub to anyone. I'm aware of player roles and context.

Hawkeye15
01-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Trust me, I'm not stupid enough to think LBJ being an All Star starter or considering him a top player still this year is a snub to anyone. I'm aware of player roles and context.

I do get what you were trying to say though

Clint Olbrock
01-23-2017, 05:35 PM

All 4 of those other guys deserve to start then... Oh, wait.. They are.. You pretty much just proved my point on Westbrook, lol thanks

Shammyguy3
01-23-2017, 06:56 PM
All 4 of those other guys deserve to start then... Oh, wait.. They are.. You pretty much just proved my point on Westbrook, lol thanks

The point is that Westbrook is in the Western Conference where he has to compete with the likes of Curry/Harden/CP3. If you had Kawhi/KD/Giannis/Lebron/Butler all in one conference, they all deserve to start but only some of them will.

tredigs
01-23-2017, 07:22 PM
The point is that Westbrook is in the Western Conference where he has to compete with the likes of Curry/Harden/CP3. If you had Kawhi/KD/Giannis/Lebron/Butler all in one conference, they all deserve to start but only some of them will.

Exactly, hence me tongue-in-cheek saying, "good thing the East has three Small Forwards starting instead of a Power Forward or Center or else LBJ would be out of luck".

Anyway, Curry's better, and he's starting. Both will be All Stars, and nobody cares who starts anyway. Moving on.

MassoDio
01-23-2017, 08:05 PM
I find it annoyingly funny how upset anyone would get over this. Westbrook did not get snubbed. That term is really only appropriate for those players that do not make the team while someone else who may not be having as good of a season does make the team. Westbrook is in no danger of being left off the team.

That being said, getting upset over this is just plain stupid. Think it is wrong...okay. Think it is ridiculous....okay. Getting upset about it...stupid. It is an exhibition game that Westbrook will absolutely get plenty of playing time in. All will be fine.

And Curry is starting because that is how the fans voted. Based on the point system of the new voting system, Curry and Westbrook tied, leaving the final decision down to the fan vote...in which Curry won handily. Here is a link explaining it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heres-why-stephen-curry-is-starting-over-russell-westbrook-in-the-all-star-game/

So no...Westbrook didn't get snubbed. In a world where fan popularity doesn't have any hand in determining the starters, sure, Westbrook would be starting. He is having an amazing year. But that is not the world of the NBA all star game. So no, this was not a snub, it was representative of how much more popular Curry is than Westbrook, with the fans that took the time to vote.

Clint Olbrock
01-23-2017, 08:18 PM
I find it annoyingly funny how upset anyone would get over this. Westbrook did not get snubbed. That term is really only appropriate for those players that do not make the team while someone else who may not be having as good of a season does make the team. Westbrook is in no danger of being left off the team.

That being said, getting upset over this is just plain stupid. Think it is wrong...okay. Think it is ridiculous....okay. Getting upset about it...stupid. It is an exhibition game that Westbrook will absolutely get plenty of playing time in. All will be fine.

And Curry is starting because that is how the fans voted. Based on the point system of the new voting system, Curry and Westbrook tied, leaving the final decision down to the fan vote...in which Curry won handily. Here is a link explaining it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heres-why-stephen-curry-is-starting-over-russell-westbrook-in-the-all-star-game/

So no...Westbrook didn't get snubbed. In a world where fan popularity doesn't have any hand in determining the starters, sure, Westbrook would be starting. He is having an amazing year. But that is not the world of the NBA all star game. So no, this was not a snub, it was representative of how much more popular Curry is than Westbrook, with the fans that took the time to vote.

Media votes Westbrook 93, Harden 91... Curry 6.

Player votes Westbrook 167, Harden 149... Curry 63.

Fan votes Curry 1,848,121, Harden 1,771,375, Westbrook 1,575,865.

That sure is "handily" lol Curry is starting because ill informed fans like Shammy, JazzNC, tredg and potentially you.

Clint Olbrock
01-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Exactly, hence me tongue-in-cheek saying, "good thing the East has three Small Forwards starting instead of a Power Forward or Center or else LBJ would be out of luck".

Anyway, Curry's better, and he's starting. Both will be All Stars, and nobody cares who starts anyway. Moving on.

Lol this guy still thinks the ASG is based on an entire career vs the single season it is for HAHA WOW.. Westbrook is having the better season, a blind bat can tell that.

LBJ led the entire NBA in EVERY aspect of voting... LOL

Clint Olbrock
01-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Westbrook is having a better season than all 3 guards you just named.. So...

tredigs
01-23-2017, 08:34 PM
It's amazing that OKC is posting such a mediocre 0.8 +/- with Westbrook having one of the greatest most historic seasons in NBA history. Even with average teammates, you'd think sheer dominance of his magnitude would show up in the box-score a little more. Weird.

MassoDio
01-23-2017, 08:43 PM

That sure is "handily" lol Curry is starting because ill informed fans like Shammy, JazzNC, tredg and potentially you.

Here's how the math breaks down ((Fan vote x 2 + media vote + players vote)/4):
Westbrook: (3+3+1+1)/4 = 2
Curry: (1+1+3+3)/4 = 2

In case you missed that part...since that is how they ACTUALLY are determining this.

And yes roughly 272 thousand more votes is pretty handily. It isn't like it was a couple thousand votes. Not to mention, Westbrook was 3rd in fan voting. He wasn't even second, Harden was. That is significant when the fan vote counts for 50% of the overall voting.

Ill-informed has nothing to do with a popularity contest.The NBA All-Star game is not about "Who is best" or "Who is having the best half season", it is about who has the most supporters out there willing to vote. If it was, they wouldn't have had to put this new system into place. And even with this new system, the tie breaker is the fan vote...making it about popularity again. So again...this has nothing to do with being informed or not. You spewing out derogatory remarks about that doesn't make you right, nor does it change how the voting actually works.

For the record, I voted for Westbrook. As I said in my previous post, he is having the better season. BUT, that DOES NOT MATTER. The way that the system works....who is having the better season DOES NOT MATTER for the voting of starters. It DOES matter for who makes the rest of the team, as that is how the coaches SHOULD be picking the rest of the team. Hence my reason for saying that he is not snubbed unless for some crazy reason, the coaches don't pick him either. He wasn't snubbed, he just isn't as popular among those who voted.

Someone voting for Curry over Westbrook doesn't make them ill-informed either. Voting for the All-Star game starters is about voting for who YOU, as an individual, want to see in the All-Star game. (See Yao Ming getting crazy amounts of votes in years when he was not the best center in the west.)

You aren't smarter than others because you don't accept the way the vote works and others do.

Clint Olbrock
01-23-2017, 09:41 PM
In case you missed that part...since that is how they ACTUALLY are determining this.

And yes roughly 272 thousand more votes is pretty handily. It isn't like it was a couple thousand votes. Not to mention, Westbrook was 3rd in fan voting. He wasn't even second, Harden was. That is significant when the fan vote counts for 50% of the overall voting.

Ill-informed has nothing to do with a popularity contest.The NBA All-Star game is not about "Who is best" or "Who is having the best half season", it is about who has the most supporters out there willing to vote. If it was, they wouldn't have had to put this new system into place. And even with this new system, the tie breaker is the fan vote...making it about popularity again. So again...this has nothing to do with being informed or not. You spewing out derogatory remarks about that doesn't make you right, nor does it change how the voting actually works.

For the record, I voted for Westbrook. As I said in my previous post, he is having the better season. BUT, that DOES NOT MATTER. The way that the system works....who is having the better season DOES NOT MATTER for the voting of starters. It DOES matter for who makes the rest of the team, as that is how the coaches SHOULD be picking the rest of the team. Hence my reason for saying that he is not snubbed unless for some crazy reason, the coaches don't pick him either. He wasn't snubbed, he just isn't as popular among those who voted.

Someone voting for Curry over Westbrook doesn't make them ill-informed either. Voting for the All-Star game starters is about voting for who YOU, as an individual, want to see in the All-Star game. (See Yao Ming getting crazy amounts of votes in years when he was not the best center in the west.)

You aren't smarter than others because you don't accept the way the vote works and others do.

The new system is just as garbage as the old system, clearly.

Clint Olbrock
01-23-2017, 09:44 PM
It's amazing that OKC is posting such a mediocre 0.8 +/- with Westbrook having one of the greatest most historic seasons in NBA history. Even with average teammates, you'd think sheer dominance of his magnitude would show up in the box-score a little more. Weird.
Yeah, that 31 PPG 11 RPG and 10 APG in the box score is just so mediocre/average/easy to do/not hard to achieve. :facepalm:

HandsOnTheWheel
01-23-2017, 10:19 PM
"Snubbed as all star starter". Reading comprehension ladies.

tredigs
01-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Yeah, that 31 PPG 11 RPG and 10 APG in the box score is just so mediocre/average/easy to do/not hard to achieve. :facepalm:

You missed my point when I spelled it out for you? Shocker.

OKC is no longer a team to be feared in any way whatsoever despite the high rebounding numbers from the PG that have you and the media in a frenzy, is the point. Their average is less than a 1 point win. By contrast the Cavs win by an average of 4.9, the Rockets 7.1, and the Warriors 13.1.

Clint Olbrock
01-23-2017, 10:49 PM
You missed my point when I spelled it out for you? Shocker.

OKC is no longer a team to be feared in any way whatsoever despite the high rebounding numbers from the PG that have you and the media in a frenzy, is the point. Their average is less than a 1 point win. By contrast the Cavs win by an average of 4.9, the Rockets 7.1, and the Warriors 13.1.
Who gives a ****.. The ASG is not a lifetime achievement award nor a team achievement..

Jamiecballer
01-23-2017, 11:42 PM
Lmao nailed it. Did I not call this guy as the current generations Iverson like 5 years ago. I swear I did.

Shammyguy3
01-24-2017, 01:19 PM

i didn't vote once

Lmao nailed it. Did I not call this guy as the current generations Iverson like 5 years ago. I swear I did.

Westbrook >>>>>>>> Iverson

FlashBolt
01-25-2017, 12:48 AM
You are an idiot if you think LeBron is only the fifth best SF. You have to be a true hater to even hint at a statement like that. I mean, does anyone really think Thomas is a better PG than Curry? Will anyone take CP3 over Harden right now?

tredigs
01-25-2017, 01:08 AM
You are an idiot if you think LeBron is only the fifth best SF. You have to be a true hater to even hint at a statement like that. I mean, does anyone really think Thomas is a better PG than Curry? Will anyone take CP3 over Harden right now?

Oh I assure you, the only idiot is not understanding the point of that comment.

LA_Raiders
01-25-2017, 02:26 AM
Too much hate for the best player in NBA.