Jake Cosart, RHP
Trey Ball, LHP
Kyle Martin, RHP
Luis Ysla, LHP
Chandler Shepherd, RHP
Bryan Mata, RHP
Tate Matheny, OF
Kyri Washington, LF

Lyrics (https://play.google.com/music/preview/Thwgoef26fw6rrdkxms77j3echy?lyrics=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-songlyrics&u=0#)

AI
01-19-2017, 01:28 PM
:(

Green_Monster
01-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Had legitimate trouble filling out the bottom 5 or so guys. Hopefully we have multiple break out prospects this year.

papipapsmanny
01-23-2017, 03:10 PM
marrero is just a name people know, he isn't a top 20 prospect of ours.... even with the weaker system

I am interested to see what Tyler Hill does this seaosn

Green_Monster
01-23-2017, 05:13 PM
marrero is just a name people know, he isn't a top 20 prospect of ours.... even with the weaker system

I am interested to see what Tyler Hill does this seaosn

If you're weighing floor/ceiling equally in a weak system, Marrerro can be top 20.

papipapsmanny
01-26-2017, 11:18 PM
If you're weighing floor/ceiling equally in a weak system, Marrerro can be top 20.

His floor which is low, is his ceiling.... he is 26, he is irrelevant in prospect terms

Green_Monster
01-28-2017, 02:34 PM
His floor which is low, is his ceiling.... he is 26, he is irrelevant in prospect terms

No, not really. He'll likely catch on with some team as a utility IF'er. We have Holt/Hernandez ahead of him or else he'd probably see decent MLB time this year when injuries occur.

That may be more valuable than some long shot prospect who's ceiling isn't that high either.

papipapsmanny
01-29-2017, 04:54 PM
^^ Ill agree to disagree

Groome was ranked 20th by K-law I couldn't see anything other than that. I know benintendi is likely in his top 5, Devers could be up there in the top 20.

I could see Travis being in the top 100 some where

RedSoxtober
01-29-2017, 11:12 PM
^^ Ill agree to disagree

Groome was ranked 20th by K-law I couldn't see anything other than that. I know benintendi is likely in his top 5, Devers could be up there in the top 20.

I could see Travis being in the top 100 some where

Law has Benintendi #1 overall.

papipapsmanny
01-31-2017, 12:12 AM
I could only see Groome because I clicked on 20-1 and he was number 20.

We still have a good foundation to rebuild a a strong farm system over the next 3 years (if DD isn't a dumbass)

papipapsmanny
01-31-2017, 03:42 PM
I'd put our farm somewhere in the 12-17 range,

Longhi, Ockimey, Chavis, Dalbec, Chatham, Raudes. That is the group (before the draft / int FA) that is going to be intriguing to watch this season. It will determine what kind of initial foundation we have going forward to go along with Groome

Especially with Devers, Benintendi, and Travis all closer towards graduating from the minors

RedSoxtober
03-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Henry Owens expressed frustration about his mechanical difficulties out of the windup. On Saturday, he walked four batters in 2 1/3 innings – all while pitching from the windup. The lefthander said he might talk with Price and Pomeranz about their mechanics, in which their windups harbor considerable similarities to their stretch deliveries.

While Owens’ early-career struggles often prompt mentions of the longer development paths faced by lefties (especially tall lefties), Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal writes that the idea of such late-bloomers is overblown. (http://click.email.bostonglobe.com/?qs=62649cede12f7ad7ee07fd8091165394079fda6189b4af d714c3e8040e517f002784e7c625f2f3023ad95bd3458f3ba9 bc87c3fdc53da68c)Speier

RedSoxtober
03-14-2017, 01:00 PM
FanGraphs Top 100 (here (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017-top-100-prospects/?s_campaign=108stitches:newsletter))
1. Yoan Moncada (70*)
The tools are deafening. Moncada is a plus-plus runner with plus-plus arm strength, plus raw power and an advanced idea of the strike zone. He’s going to strike out, and there are some within the industry concerned about how much. That said, I think it’s important to consider that while Moncada was K-ing a lot late last year he was also a 21-year old who had played for just a month and a half above A-ball and, during a large chunk of that time, was learning a new position. The stat-based projection systems, KATOH and otherwise, seem comfortable with it, and so am I. I think he’ll provide rare power and patience while playing a premium position — he’s looked fine at second base in my looks this spring — and, while it might take adjustment at the big-league level, I think he’ll eventually be the best of this crop of minor leaguers.

2. Andrew Benintendi (65)
Though he’s unlikely to produce home-run totals commensurate with elite corner outfielders, Benintendi is going to be a doubles machine with elite on-base and contact skills. His natural feel for squaring pitches in various parts of the strike zone and generating hard, all-fields contact is sublime, and 40-plus annual doubles is in range. He could play center field, and play it well, if a cataclysmic deluge of injuries tear through Boston’s outfield, but for now he projects as a plus defender in either corner. Even at age 22, Benintendi’s modest stature belies physical projection and the cement on his physical tools is more or less dry, but his polish and proverbial (but also literal) baseball acumen are terrific, and he’s as close to a finished product as any prospect on this list.

10. Anderson Espinoza (60)
Espinoza was the best prospect I saw during instructional league in either Florida or Arizona, sitting 95-97 with movement and flashing two dominant secondary offerings. He’s short but not small, his arm works well, he’s athletic and only turned 19 a few days ago.

21. Michael Kopech (55)
It comes at the expense of effort and violence, but Kopech has one of the planet’s hardest fastballs and flashes a dastardly slider. He also projects for an impact changeup based on his elite arm speed. Some think his command issues will force a move to the bullpen, where he’d be dominant; others see a unique specimen who can handle abnormal physical stress for 100-plus pitches every fifth day and think he’ll at least be an inefficient mid-rotation starter.

22. Rafael Devers (55)
Devers’ swing mandates that he catch balls out in front of the plate in order to lift them in the air and utilize his considerable raw power, but his hand-eye coordination and bat speed are so good that, even when he’s making sub-optimal contact, it’s hard and to all fields. He’s more agile than he appears over at third and has a decent chance to stay there for a while, but he’s a potential plus-hit, plus-power prospect. That profile holds water at first base, too.

23. Manuel Margot (55)
A plus-plus runner who can go get it in center field, Margot has solid contact skills, as well, and could probably hit for more game power if an adjustment were made to his swing. Doing so proactively seems unwise, however, when he’s already a high-probability above-average regular.

29. Jason Groome (55)
Some teams removed Groome from their 2016 draft board because of off-field issues. Just on talent he was arguably the best prospect in the 2016 draft. He’s a big, athletic lefty with a low to mid-90s fastball, plus a curveball and projectable changeup and command. Boston will have to surround him with the proper infrastructure for him to succeed, but he has top-of-the-rotation potential.

*Number in parentheses is FanGraph's "Future Value" calculation which is explained here (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouting-explained-the-20-80-scouting-scale/) and obviously has its strengths and weaknesses (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/valuing-prospects-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-single-number/).

RedSoxtober
03-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Righthander Travis Lakins looked very impressive in a Red Sox minor league intrasquad game on Wednesday, working to both sides of the plate and getting swings and misses at a 90-94 miles per hour fastball and curveball, while getting some bad contact on changeups. Lakins, who also features a slider to round out his four-pitch mix, struggled in his first full pro season in 2016 to a 5.93 ERA (with 7.8 strikeouts per nine and 3.6 walks per nine) in 91 innings with High A Salem last year before his season concluded due to a stress fracture in the tip of his right elbow.

That said, the quality of his mix, his age (22), and athleticism all suggest a pitcher with as much upside (perhaps a No. 3 ceiling) as nearly any starting pitching prospect in the Red Sox organization outside of Jason Groome. There’s a long way for him to go to tap into that potential, but he will enter 2017 – either in High A Salem or Double A Portland – as a very important pitching prospect.Speier

RedSoxtober
04-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Shortstop Jeremy Rivera, who is with Single-A Salem (Va.), was suspended for 50 games following an unspecified violation of the minors’ drug program.Boston Herald

BoSox47
04-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats
Devers is off to a 10-25, 3 doubles and a homer start in Portland. He had 10 total hits on April 29th last year in Salem.

Great start, picking up where he left off last season. I think this kid is going to be an absolute stud in the batters box.

RedSoxtober
04-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Danny Mars, an athletic 23-year-old outfielder, is quietly off to a strong start in Double A Portland. He went 4-for-6 with a walk over the weekend, and the switch-hitter is now posting a .455/.520/.727 line through seven games.

Lefthander Trey Ball struck out six batters in six innings, his second straight start in which he punched out a half-dozen opponents for Portland. A year ago, in 23 starts in High A Salem, Ball had just four outings in which he struck out as many as six batters. Ball showed increased power in his stuff this spring thanks to offseason strength gains and improved definition of his arsenal.

In High A Salem, first baseman Josh Ockimey went 4-for-8 with a pair of doubles and three walks over the weekend. He’s hitting .447/.521/.658 through 10 games. Righthander Travis Lakins, the subject of last week’s minor league notebook, allowed two runs over five innings while striking out four. He now has a 2.45 ERA with 21 strikeouts and three walks through three starts.

In Single A Greenville, righthander Shaun Anderson allowed one run in five innings while striking out six and walking three. The 2016 third-rounder has a 1.15 ERA with 19 strikeouts and five walks.Speier

AI
04-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Guess who was ranked as the top pitching prospect in the minors by Keith Law?

If your guess was Michael Kopech... YOU ARE CORRECT.

The Allen
04-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Guess who was ranked as the top pitching prospect in the minors by Keith Law?

If your guess was Michael Kopech... YOU ARE CORRECT.
I bet. The kid has massive potential.

Chris Sale is awesome and locked up, *shrug*

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

BGeer091
04-18-2017, 10:46 AM
I bet. The kid has massive potential.

Chris Sale is awesome and locked up, *shrug*

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm still a little bitter lol. I wish we traded someone else.. but like you said *shrug*

RedSoxtober
04-18-2017, 11:07 AM
I didn't really mind the Sale trade. We got an elite talent for three years for elite prospects who have some question marks. So far, Moncada's speed has not translated to the upper levels of the minor league system and his bat struggled a bit. Similarly, Kopech had a bit of a makeup question (to me). He could end up as a dominant closer if he continues to be overly reliant on his fastball. I'm not trying to downplay them but I can see the risk involved with both.

I mind considerably more the overall gutting of the system. Some of the packages that we dealt were too high and stringing a bunch of market-value or over-valued deals together has left us in a rough place. FWIW, Margot's 3HR would be tied for the team lead right now, his .817 OPS would rank third, his 119 OPS+ would be fourth, and his 0.7 WAR to date would be second behind Sale while Logan Allen is blowing guys away (14K/8.0IP) in the minors. That deal could be a loss pretty quickly.

BGeer091
04-18-2017, 11:43 AM
I didn't really mind the Sale trade. We got an elite talent for three years for elite prospects who have some question marks. So far, Moncada's speed has not translated to the upper levels of the minor league system and his bat struggled a bit. Similarly, Kopech had a bit of a makeup question (to me). He could end up as a dominant closer if he continues to be overly reliant on his fastball. I'm not trying to downplay them but I can see the risk involved with both.

I mind considerably more the overall gutting of the system. Some of the packages that we dealt were too high and stringing a bunch of market-value or over-valued deals together has left us in a rough place. FWIW, Margot's 3HR would be tied for the team lead right now, his .817 OPS would rank third, his 119 OPS+ would be fourth, and his 0.7 WAR to date would be second behind Sale while Logan Allen is blowing guys away (14K/8.0IP) in the minors. That deal could be a loss pretty quickly.

I agree. I thought we over paid in almost every deal we have made so far. We haven't really won a trade yet, and not just Dombrowski's moves either. Well i've got to take my bias out of it. We probably won the Sale trade lol.

RedSoxtober
04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
After getting hammered in his first start of the year, Mike Shawaryn has rebounded pretty nicely. In his last two starts he's got a line of 10.1IP, 8H, 2ER, 3BB, 16K. He gives up hits in bunches so there's work to do but at least there's a silver lining.

Shawaryn strikes me as a symbol of DD's new farm system. Generally speaking it's much less aggressive moving guys through than what we've seen in the past. In the TE/BC years it was not unusual to see a college pitcher like Shawaryn start at A+ Salem but he's in Greenville with no fast pass in sight. Similarly, Josh Tobias started at A+ Salem despite being a college bat with two years experience and only organizational filler ahead of him at POR.

RedSoxtober
04-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Minor League Baseball named Josh Ockimey of the Salem Red Sox Carolina League Player of the Week for the first period of the 2017 season, stretching from April 6 to April 16, 2017.

Ockimey, a 21-year-old first baseman from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, batted .447 with a .521 on-base percentage and .658 slugging percentage in his first ten games. In going 17-for-38 to start the year, he cracked three doubles, a triple, and a three-run, opposite-field homer. He also scored eight runs, amassed eight runs batted in, and drew eight walks.

As of April 18, Ockimey is leading the Carolina League in on-base percentage with a .509 mark, and is tied for the league lead in sacrifice flies with two. He is also among the league leaders in several other categories, with a .429 batting average (2nd), 18 hits (2nd), nine walks (t-2nd), 10 RBI (t-3rd) and a .643 slugging percentage (4th). His 10 RBI are tied with Josh Tobias for the team lead.milb.com

RedSoxtober
04-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Brandon Workman and Noe Ramirez pitched a combined three innings in relief. Workman recorded five strikeouts in his two innings of work.

Yoan Moncada started at second base for Charlotte and struck out three times.

The [Salem] Red Sox pulled off a comeback win over Wilmington on a three-run, walk-off home run from Michael Chavis in the ninth inning. It was his third homer of the game.

Greenville starter Logan Boyd had a stellar outing, holding Lexington to three hits and one run with two strikeouts over five and a third innings.weei.com

Speaking of differences in the organizational approach these days... Boyd's 5.1IP is also unique. The previous regime tended to keep A-ball SP to 4-5IP early in the season and slowly extending their pitch counts later in the year. I've seen several 6IP outings already. Welcome to the brave new world I guess.

AI
04-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Chavis went deep 3x? Good lord.

RedSoxtober
04-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Third baseman Rafael Devers went 2-for-3; perhaps more notably, the 20-year-old drew his first walk of the season for Portland. For someone with a power hitter’s profile, Devers makes contact with surprising frequency – with a low-ish number of walks (a 6.6 percent walk rate over the last two years) and strikeouts (16.9 percent).

While that reflects his unusual bat-to-ball skills, it also suggests the room for growth in his approach, as Devers may eventually improve his selectivity at the plate in a way that increases his walk rate and potentially elevates his strikeout rate while also increasing the frequency with which he drives the ball for extra bases. His contact-heavy approach, in other words, leaves untapped power potential.Speier

Jackie Bradley Jr., in his second rehab game for Triple A Pawtucket, homered to lead off the game against highly regarded White Sox prospect Lucas Giolito. Bradley went 1-for-3 with a strikeout and a pair of walks while playing all nine innings. Fellow rehabber Josh Rutledge went 0-for-3 with a walk. First baseman Sam Travis , ordinarily a hitter who makes hard contact, continued to strike out with unusual frequency, going 0-for-3 with a walk and two whiffs. He’s hitting .156/.270/.344 with 13 strikeouts in 37 plate appearances – a 35.1 percent strikeout rate that is more than double his career average (15.4 percent).

Righthander Brandon Workman retired all six batters he faced, striking out five. He’s been dominant in Triple A, allowing just one hit and walking one while striking out 10 in seven shutout innings. One evaluator said his fastball has shown improved life, typically sitting at roughly 92 m.p.h., characterizing him as being close to his pre-Tommy John form though not all the way back. (His fastball sat at 93-94 mph when he worked out of the Red Sox bullpen in 2013.)Speier

Michael Chavis’ four-homer, two-day binge reflected in part on the success of some new study habits he started implementing this spring. My minor league notebook examines the 2014 first-rounder’s efforts to develop into a more consistent hitter in 2017.

In Triple A Pawtucket, Henry Owens had a mixed day. The bad: He needed 107 pitches to log just 4 2/3 innings during which he allowed a pair of runs on four hits, including a solo homer by Yoan Moncada (batting righthanded) to lead off the game against an 88 m.p.h. fastball. He also walked four. The good: He struck out eight of the 22 batters he faced. Though his walk rate is an unacceptable 14.9 percent, close to its 2016 level, his strikeout rate has jumped from 22.2 percent a year ago to 29.9 percent through three starts.Speier

BoSox47
04-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Rafael Devers is handling the jump to AA very well. After 13 games now here are his stats

51 AB
10 singles
5 doubles
1 HR
.320 AVG
.333 OBP
.480 SLG
126 wRC+
19.6 K% a little high, but really not bad at all considering its his first 51 AB of AA pitching.

I would like to see him work the count more and get more walk and lift that OBP, but everything else seems to be checking out. He should only get better has he continues to adapt to AA pitching.

Really excited for Devers, barring a trade or injuries he is the 3B of the future.

RedSoxtober
04-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Righthander Shaun Anderson threw six shutout innings, lowering his ERA to 0.83 with 23 strikeouts and seven walks in 21 2/3 innings over four starts.

As a pitcher from a prominent college program (Florida) with a four- to five-pitch mix, Anderson likely represents a candidate for early-season promotion once the Red Sox feel that he’s become settled into a five-day routine after he spent his college career in the Gators’ bullpen.Speier

RedSoxtober
04-25-2017, 12:54 PM
I would like to see him work the count more and get more walk and lift that OBP, but everything else seems to be checking out. He should only get better has he continues to adapt to AA pitching.

Really excited for Devers, barring a trade or injuries he is the 3B of the future.

Since he seems to be the only guy DD wouldn't trade, I think he's reasonably safe. If it were me, I would deliberately walk him up the ladder so that he hits MLB when Panda is either done or his contract can be completely absorbed -- ie., AA all this year, AAA all next year with possibly a Sep call up. At the very least, get the kid out of braces before he gets to MLB.

BoSox47
04-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Since he seems to be the only guy DD wouldn't trade, I think he's reasonably safe. If it were me, I would deliberately walk him up the ladder so that he hits MLB when Panda is either done or his contract can be completely absorbed -- ie., AA all this year, AAA all next year with possibly a Sep call up. At the very least, get the kid out of braces before he gets to MLB.

Ya hes only 20 years 6 months old right now. He still has 2-3 years in the minors to go, but its good to see he is handling the promotion to AA well. Considering the slow start he got off to last season before he went off in the second half, its good to see what he has done in his first 50 or so ABs.

papipapsmanny
04-25-2017, 02:05 PM

I disagree, if he tears it up through June I promote him to AAA by the all star break.

Out farm is interesting... I actually think there is a lot of talent in it left, but we just don't know which high potential guys are going to actually start establishing themselves as legit prospects yet. Josh Ockimey has been doing that for about a year now

RedSoxtober
04-25-2017, 05:02 PM
In Single A Greenville, righthander Mike Shawaryn punched out nine batters over five innings, his third straight game with at least eight strikeouts. The 22-year-old yielded two runs (one earned) over five innings in the process. In his last three starts, he has 25 strikeouts, three walks, and a 1.76 ERA in 15 1/3 innings.Speier

RedSoxtober
04-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Out farm is interesting... I actually think there is a lot of talent in it left, but we just don't know which high potential guys are going to actually start establishing themselves as legit prospects yet. Josh Ockimey has been doing that for about a year now

If you push the timetable then what do you do with Sandoval?

papipapsmanny
04-25-2017, 10:28 PM
If you push the timetable then what do you do with Sandoval?

I'm not worried about Sandoval, you play Devers when you think he is ready and believe he will be the better production... if he is staying at 3rd.

Playing a guy just because he is overpaid is much worse than having an overpaid guy on the bench because someone is better than him

RedSoxtober
04-27-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm not worried about Sandoval, you play Devers when you think he is ready and believe he will be the better production... if he is staying at 3rd.

Playing a guy just because he is overpaid is much worse than having an overpaid guy on the bench because someone is better than him

FWIW, I'm making the assumption that he regains some of his timing, keeps the current physique, and consequently becomes at least a serviceable 3B. If that happens, then it's tough to sit him while the kid attempts to gain his footing in MLB. However, given Panda's relative inability to hit right handed these days, a platoon with Devers getting regular PA against LHP SP might be a wise way to break him in anyway.

Oh, crap, we've got him for a long damn time, don't we. Ugh, Ben, really?

RedSoxtober
04-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Red Sox minor league pitcher Kevin Steen was critically injured in a car crash on Wednesday night near Fort Myers just before midnight.

A Dodge car was headed eastbound on Lee Boulevard when the driver veered off the road to the right, then veered left and crossed the median. The car went airborne before crashing into the front of a westbound SUV driven by Steen, which then caught on fire.

The driver of the other car passed away and Steen was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

Steen, who is just 20 years old, was a ninth-round pick in the 2014 draft. The right-hander has pitched for the short-season, Single-A Lowell Spinners each of the last two seasons. Last year he went 3-5 with a 5.37 ERA.weei.com

Pittz
04-27-2017, 03:28 PM
^ That is absolutely horrific.

RedSoxtober
04-28-2017, 11:29 AM
A Salem catcher Austin Rei comes with behind-the-plate skills that suggest a potential big leaguer, but the 2015 third-rounder struggled offensively in his first exposure to pro ball in a way that raised questions about his credentials as a potential big leaguer.

That being the case, his early-season performance in Salem is noteworthy. He went 1-for-3 with a double and walk, and is now hitting .354/.436/.625 through 13 games. A year ago, he had 20 extra-base hits in 93 games; this year, he has 11 through 13 contests.

In Single A Greenville, left fielder Tyler Hill went 1-for-4 with a pair of steals. Hill, who had just a 50 percent success rate on steals with Lowell in 2016, is now 9-for-10 in stolen bases this year.Speier

RedSoxtober
05-02-2017, 02:30 PM
— Trey Ball picked up his first Double-A win with a strong performance on the mound. The left-hander tossed six shutout innings where he scattered four hits, walked two and struck out six. This was a good sign for the former first-round pick, who has had an up-and-down professional career thus far.

— Rafael Devers hit his third home run of the season in the win. The third baseman went 1-for-4 with two runs scored.

— Michael Chavis also had a good night as the designated hitter. He went 2-for-5 with an RBI.

— On the mound, starter Roniel Raudes had a good night, but got a no-decision. The right-hander went 5 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on eight hits while striking out seven.weei.com

RedSoxtober
05-09-2017, 09:26 AM
In Double A Portland, lefthander Jalen Beeks threw five shutout innings with eight strikeouts, two walks, and two hits allowed. The 22-year-old hasn’t given up a run in any of his last three starts and indeed he’s permitted runs in just one of his five starts this year, posting a 1.63 ERA with 34 strikeouts and 12 walks in 27 2/3 innings. Lefties are 3-for-32 (.094) with three walks and 15 strikeouts against Beeks. Also in Portland, Rafael Devers went 2-for-9 with a homer (his sixth of the year) and a walk, leaving him with a .322/.359/.586 line. Kevin Thomas of the Portland Press Herald writes about the remaining work that Devers has to position himself as a major league option.

While Michael Chavis showed some defensive rust in his first two games back at third base since his return from the DL (he committed one error in both games in which he played the field over the weekend), he continued to excel with a bat in his hands for High A Salem. Chavis went 8-for-16 with two homers, a double, and a walk over the weekend, improving his season line to .361/.459/.736 with seven homers, 11 walks, and 16 strikeouts.

Chavis, 21, now has a 10-game hitting streak and a run of four straight multi-hit games. He ranks 10th in the minors in OBP, second in slugging, and despite a) missing 11 days when he was on the disabled list and b) playing in a home run graveyard, Chavis is tied for 15th in the minors with seven homers.

In Single A Greenville, righthander Mike Shawaryn set a Drive record with 12 strikeouts. GameDay credited him with 17 swings-and-misses among his 86 pitches, thrown over six innings in which he allowed one run on three hits (including a solo homer) and a walk. After a horrible first outing of the year (two innings, nine runs), Shawaryn has a 1.32 ERA over his last five starts with 42 strikeouts and six walks over 27 1/3 innings.

Third baseman Bobby Dalbec went 5-for-13 with a homer and two walks, but he also struck out six times in 14 plate appearances. The 21-year-old has struck out a startling 36 percent of the time to open his first full professional season.Speier

RedSoxtober
05-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Pawtucket righthander Hector Velazquez continued his mastery of Triple A with 6 1/3 scoreless innings, lowering his ERA to 1.17 for the season. Tim Britton of the Providence Journal writes that Velazquez helps to offer the Sox the possibility of starting depth options.

First baseman Sam Travis , after a tough start to the season, is now on a roll with the PawSox. He went 2-for-4 with a double and homer (described as a wind-aided opposite-field shot by Britton) on Monday, and is now hitting .343/.361/.514 in his last nine games, with extra-base hits in each of his last three contests.

In Single A Greenville, lefthander Darwinzon Hernandez opened the game in dazzling fashion, retiring the first 13 batters he faced, six on strikeouts. While his final line wasn’t overwhelming (5 1/3 innings, three runs – two of which scored after he left, six strikeouts, two walks), Hernandez is rapidly establishing himself as one of the more interesting pitching prospects in the Red Sox organization.

The 20-year-old has a 2.76 ERA, ranks eighth in the South Atlantic League with 11.3 strikeouts per nine innings, and opponents are hitting just .165 against him (fifth lowest among qualifying South Atlantic League pitchers). His willingness to pitch inside (he’s hit seven batters) with low- to mid-90s stuff from a low three-quarters arm slot has made him a very uncomfortable at-bat for opposing hitters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly excited about the depth-option Velazquez. However, if Kendrick has another start like he did last week then I wouldn't hesitate to DFA Kendrick and bring him in. We're more in need of an immediate impact than most people realize and I would rather roll with the hot hand.

In Double A Portland, first baseman/outfielder Nick Longhi may have seen his fortunes turn with a 4-for-5 game in which groundballs that had been finding gloves instead discovered holes. The 21-year-old, despite a career-low 14.1 percent strikeout rate, has struggled to a .247/.293/.355 line. Righthander Jamie Callahan fired two scoreless innings in which he struck out three. In 13 innings in Double A, Callahan has 20 strikeouts and no walks, while his 42.6 percent strikeout rate ranks third in the Eastern League.

In High A Salem, righthander Travis Lakins had a dominant performance, allowing one run over a career-high 6 2/3 innings. He struck out eight while allowing just two hits, running his fastball up to 96 m.p.h. with a swing-and-miss curveball. His walks, meanwhile, were viewed as a product in part of a somewhat inconsistent strike zone. Through seven starts this year, Lakins is making a compelling case for a promotion to Portland, going 5-0 with a 2.61 ERA, 43 strikeouts, and 13 walks in 38 innings.Speier

RedSoxtober
05-16-2017, 09:04 AM
In Double A Portland, lefthander Jalen Beek s ran his scoreless streak to 24 innings (tied for the second longest in franchise history) and four starts, logging five shutout innings in which he had control issues (four walks) but struck out seven. The 23-year-old now has 41 strikeouts and 16 walks in 32 2/3 innings. Beeks (5-1) is tied for the league lead in wins, ranks third in ERA (1.38), is tied for first in strikeouts, and leads the Eastern League in strikeouts per nine innings (11.3) and strikeout rate (31.1 percent).

Third baseman Rafael Devers went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles – one to the opposite field in left, one to right – and a walk. Meanwhile, first baseman/outfielder Nick Longhi went 3-for-5, extending a scorching stretch to 9-for-14 over the last three games.

Righthander Ty Buttrey continued to dominate in the late innings for Portland, recording all four of his outs over a 1 1/3 inning stint by strikeout. Buttrey has 25 strikeouts and five walks in 15 1/3 innings this year.

In High A Salem, Michael Chavis went 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles. In 23 games, he has 15 extra-base hits while posting a .345/.444/.690 line. He ranks 12th in all of the minors in OBP and fifth in slugging.Speier

RedSoxtober
05-16-2017, 09:42 AM
In Triple A Pawtucket, Velazquez – pitching on regular (four days’) rest for the first time this year, scattered seven hits over seven innings while allowing two runs on Saturday. He struck out three and walked one, with his ERA rising to 1.55. He’s struck out 20 and walked five in 29 innings.

In Double A Portland, Rafael Devers went 3-for-6 with a homer – his seventh – over the weekend to improve his line to .324/.393/.590 – including an absurd .395/.509/.791 line with five homers, 10 walks, and nine strikeout in 13 May contests. The homer to left-center on Sunday was his fourth opposite-field blast of the season. His ability to drive a two-strike breaking ball out of the park to left-center points to why evaluators believe he has a future as an offensive force.Speier

Pittz
05-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Man, Devers is exciting.

RedSoxtober
05-16-2017, 11:29 AM
With as horribly as the "Who's on third" auditions have gone this year, he could force his way onto a club desperate to win in a three year window.

RedSoxtober
05-16-2017, 07:35 PM
[Brian] Johnson allowed three runs over 6 1/3 innings while walking three and striking out six. He has yet to give up more than three runs in any of his six Triple A starts, working to a 2.92 ERA. Sam Travis (serving as DH) went 2-for-5, including a hit against Scranton’s lefthanded starter. Travis is now hitting .435/.500/.696 on the season against lefties – compared to marks of .200/.264/.288 against righties. He has just two strikeouts in 26 plate appearances against southpaws.

In High A Salem, third baseman Michael Chavis continued his early-2017 breakout, going 2-for-5 with a double. In 27 games, he’s hitting .333/.426/.646 with 17 extra-base hits. Beyond that tremendous line, Chavis is showing enormous strides in his offensive approach, as demonstrated by a strikeout rate that has dropped from 25.9 percent to 20.0 percent and a walk rate that has risen from 7.4 to 12.2 percent. He’s pulling fewer pitches (42.1 percent) than at any prior point in his professional career.

Chavis has power that ranks near the top of the Red Sox system. His improved ability to lay off pitches not in the strike zone and to be patient enough to wait and make hard contact to all fields with those that are in it has resulted in spectacular results.Speier

It's worth noting that Johnson's appearance makes it unlikely for the Sox to use him on Thursday -- where they have hinted they would like to insert a SP to ease the demands on the BP given how deep into games Porcello and Sale have typically gone. Velazquez, however, has his normal turn in the rotation on Thursday but the PawSox have listed their started as TBA.

RedSoxtober
05-19-2017, 08:36 AM
In Triple A Pawtucket, Sam Travis filled up the box score, going 2-for-4 with a homer, a walk, a steal, and a strikeout. The 23-year-old has three straight two-hit games and has gone deep in two straight contests. In 13 games this month, he’s now hitting .314/.364/.569 with three homers, seven extra-base hits, four walks, and four strikeouts. In the process, he’s boosted his season line to .270/.336/.441.

Brock Holt returned to action for the first time since his recurrence of vertigo symptoms on Monday, going 1-for-4 with a walk as a designated hitter.

In Double A Portland, righthander Travis Lakins had a forgettable Sea Dogs debut, allowing five runs on five hits and a walk in just 1 2/3 innings. Lakins was promoted from Salem after forging a 2.61 ERA with 43 strikeouts in 38 innings.

In High A Salem, third baseman Michael Chavis had his third straight multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a double. The 21-year-old is now hitting .343/.427/.648. One intriguing trend in Chavis’ outstanding start: While he’s hitting flyballs with roughly the same frequency as he did last year, his groundball rate has plummeted from 41.2 percent when putting the ball in play last year to just 29.8 percent this year. The resulting surge in line drives, coupled with an increased walk rate and a declining strikeout rate, has Chavis looking like the player the Red Sox tabbed in the first round of the 2014 draft.Speier

RedSoxtober
05-23-2017, 03:58 PM
In Triple A Pawtucket, Pablo Sandoval played three games over the weekend – one at DH, two at third base – and went 1-for-9. Brock Holt went 2-for-11 with a homer, two walks, and three strikeouts while playing two games in left field and one at DH. Outfielder Rusney Castillo went 5-for-15 with a homer and double, improving to 9-for-25 with three homers and three doubles in his last five games. He’s now hitting .275/.299/.472 with six homers and six steals on the season.

Lefthander Henry Owens had a bounceback start for the PawSox, allowing two runs over six innings while striking out. Though he walked three batters, his 61 percent strike rate was his highest of any start this year. Lefthander Brian Johnson added to his case as the next-in-line starting option for the Sox, allowing three runs (two earned) over 7 2/3 innings while striking out five and walking two. Johnson has a 2.82 ERA with 7.5 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.

The Daily Dose of Devers from Rafael Devers features a 1-for-9 weekend (he played on Friday and Saturday, then sat on Sunday) in Double A Portland with one walk and two strikeouts. He’s now hitting .320/.389/.555. Lefthander Trey Ball got hit hard over 4 1/3 innings, allowing five runs on five hits (including a homer) while walking three, but he also struck out a season-high seven. Though Ball has a 5.06 ERA, he’s also struck out a career-high 8.2 per nine innings.

The scorching hot Michael Chavis went 4-for-12 with two homers (one pulled, one to the opposite field), a double, and triple over the weekend for High A Salem. He leads the Carolina League in average (.336), OBP (.420), and slugging (.696), and he has more homers (10) and extra-base hits (24) in 33 contests this year than he had in 81 contests in 2016. Gerard Gilberto discussed Chavis’ simple approach with the 21-year-old third baseman.Speier

RedSoxtober
05-24-2017, 10:02 AM
To make room for Travis, the Red Sox sent fifth starter Hector Velazquez back to Triple A. In other words, they need a new starting pitcher. Again.

“Without any injury, anything unforeseen, and without committing to anything, Brian Johnson becomes a strong candidate for that spot,” Farrell said.

Johnson has pitched well in Triple A, carrying a 2.82 ERA through seven starts. On Saturday, he allowed just two runs through 72⁄3 innings, solidifying his status as the next in line for a promotion.

The Sox will need a new starting pitcher this coming Saturday at the latest.Boston Herald

RedSoxtober
05-26-2017, 09:39 AM
[R]ighthander Mike Shawaryn pitched into the seventh inning for the first time in his professional career, striking out 11 (his second double-digit strikeout effort) while allowing two runs on four hits and a walk in 6 1/3 innings. Shawaryn’s 13.1 strikeouts per nine innings rank eighth in the minors. While the 22-year-old has a modest 3.61 ERA, that mark has been just 1.98 over his last eight starts Speier

RedSoxtober
05-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Michael Chavis went 4-for-7 with his 11th homer of the year and a double. His 11 homers – in just 37 games – are the most by any Salem player since Sean Coyle hit 14 in 2013. (Rafael Devers led the affiliate with 11 homers in 128 games last year.) Chavis ranks sixth in the minors in average (.360), seventh in OBP (.440), and second in slugging (.712). First baseman Josh Ockimey went 2-for-5 with a double, two walks, and two strikeouts. The 21-year-old is hitting .313/.427/.490, and his 30 walks are tied for the sixth most in the majors.

Single A Greenville outfielder Lorenzo Cedrola , 19, went 1-for-3 with a steal. He’s hitting .277/.319/.408 with seven steals, showing a combination of skills – contact ability, speed, and potentially above-average to plus outfield defense – that suggest big league potential.Speier

papipapsmanny
05-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Chavis is looking good, Ockimey seems heavily underrated around he with his power and on base skills. If he keeps making consistent contact he could be a beast

RedSoxtober
05-30-2017, 11:33 AM
TBH, I doubt that Chavis plays in the Red Sox farm system after Opening Day next year. Breakout season but he's somewhat positionally redundant. I won't be shocked to see him packaged with an arm like Travis Lakins at the trade deadline.

RedSoxtober
05-30-2017, 01:26 PM
— Pablo Sandoval recorded his third double since starting his rehab assignment in Pawtucket. He has been out since April 24 with a right knee sprain. Despite the double, the third baseman is just 4-for-25 in seven games. In 17 games with the Red Sox this year, he has tallied three home runs and 10 RBIs, while batting .213.

— Right-hander Brandon Workman (2-1) got the win after two innings pitched, allowing no hits and recording two strikeouts. He finished with a 2.07 ERA in May.

— Right-handed pitcher Travis Lakins (0-2) showed improvement in the first five innings of the game. He allowed just one hit and three runs, while tallying six strikeouts. Prior to Monday’s game, he lost two in a row to Hartford and New Hampshire and allowed five and seven hits respectively. Lakins now has a 4.22 ERA.

— In the bottom of the fourth, Josh Ockimey blasted his seventh home run of the year to center field to put the Red Sox on the board. This season Ockimey is batting .309 with seven home runs and 26 RBIs in 48 games played.weei.com

RedSoxtober
05-30-2017, 04:03 PM
One of the more interesting under-the-radar Red Sox pitching prospects, 18-year-old Bryan Mata , made his first appearance in a game with an affiliate in the States, logging three innings of one-run ball for Single A Greenville while striking out four and walking two. Mata skipped both domestic short-season affiliates — the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League and New York-Penn League Lowell Spinners — in a testament to the advanced nature of his stuff. In his 2016 debut, the 6-foot-3-inch righthander showed a fastball that touched 94 m.p.h. in the Dominican Summer League, a potential plus offering that is complemented by a curveball and changeup that both show big league average potential.Speier

papipapsmanny
05-30-2017, 11:06 PM
TBH, I doubt that Chavis plays in the Red Sox farm system after Opening Day next year. Breakout season but he's somewhat positionally redundant. I won't be shocked to see him packaged with an arm like Travis Lakins at the trade deadline.

I guess, but for what? I am not sure what we exactly need other than, ironically, a 3B. I absolutely do not want to trade for a reliever, especially with Smith and Thornburg back at some point, plus the pen hasn't even been that bad.

Our top 10 looks pretty solid right now with other guys in the low A levels that are interesting. This draft will be key for us going forward.

I'll say it again I really like Ockimey

AI
05-31-2017, 08:18 AM
My view on Chavis... if the bat is real, they'll find a place for him.

As for Pablo being back up, I hate it. I would cut my losses like we did with Rusney and Craig.

RedSoxtober
05-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Not sure that I see a "fit" for Chavis anywhere. He is not particularly athletic, which limits him to corner positions. At 5' 10", he is a bit small for a target at 1B (and Devers isn't much bigger at 6' 0"). The organization is already making the pick of Devers over Chavis at 3B. The closest slot might be in LF if we assume that JBJ leaves and Benintendi slides over to CF by the time he's close.

IDK, the wise move would be to keep him as insurance for a couple of seasons. DD seems hard pressed to resist a deal, though, and Chavis seems to be the kid who is generating just enough headlines to be attractive.

As for who they would target PPM, yeah, I would agree that the single biggest need would be at 3B. Moustakas might be the guy. His 'D' generally comes out around league average -- an improvement over what we've generally had this year -- and he's got some power that we're currently missing. He's in his walk year and earning only $8.7M so his pro-rated money would also fit within the salary structure. Other candidates with a decent year going would include Mark Reynolds (even with big home/road splits going in COL his bat is decent this year), Yunel Escobar, and Danny Valencia. None of those names excites, TBH, but neither do names like Rutledge and Sandoval.

AI
05-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Moustakas was a guy I believed we would target if the second tour of Pablo didn't work out, which it hasn't. Problem is he's a lefty and is in his walk year. We'd still need to find a RHH 3B because Rutledge is simply not the answer.

Could also see a deal with OAK... Plouffe as a RHH option at 3B or maybe even Jed Lowrie as a full-time player if they have no plans of calling up Devers.

RedSoxtober
05-31-2017, 02:41 PM
A scout in Pawtucket recently praised righthander Marcus Walden, noting how uncomfortable opposing hitters seemed against a pitcher who has the second-highest groundball rate (56.2 percent) among pitchers with at least 30 innings in the International League. Walden, who has a 2.25 ERA in 10 games (seven starts), allowed one run on four hits over five innings on Tuesday, striking out three and walking none. He could emerge as part of the Sox’ righthanded depth equation if the team decides it wants to search for an arm who induces groundballs at a high rate.

In Double A Portland, lefthander Jalen Beeks allowed two runs over seven innings, striking out seven and walking one. In nine starts for the Sea Dogs this year, Beeks is 7-1 with a 2.19 ERA. He leads the Eastern League in ERA and strikeout rate (28.7 percent), and he’s held opponents to a .198 average, third lowest at the level.Speier

RedSoxtober
05-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Moustakas was a guy I believed we would target if the second tour of Pablo didn't work out, which it hasn't. Problem is he's a lefty and is in his walk year. We'd still need to find a RHH 3B because Rutledge is simply not the answer.

Could also see a deal with OAK... Plouffe as a RHH option at 3B or maybe even Jed Lowrie as a full-time player if they have no plans of calling up Devers.

I don't think they have plans to call up Devers. DD recently pointed to his slump (.143/.178/.238, 2BB, 9K in his last 10) when asked about a bump to AAA. He has work to do in rebounding from the slump and IIRC also with the glove.

Plouffe is a good alternative. He's getting killed by his home stadium so his value is somewhat depressed. He's also hitting LHP at a pretty good clip.

BoSox47
06-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Jaylen Beeks has been looking great. He is averaging 10.58 K/9, .55 HR/9 and a GB rate of 50.4% with a 3.23 FIP. Only alarming stats really is his 4.01 BB/9, but hopefully that number decreases the more comfortable he gets with his command.

Pittz
06-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Devers last night was 2/4, a 1B and 3B driving in 2 RBI, with a BB and K. Hopefully the slump has been snapped, but we'll see.

RedSoxtober
06-01-2017, 02:28 PM
[Jason] Groome pitched in a game for the first time since suffering the injury on Tuesday when he appeared in an extended spring training game on the stadium field at JetBlue Park.

The left-hander went two innings and all the reports were good.

Since he missed so much time, the organization will keep him on an innings progression in Fort Myers before they consider promoting him back to Greenville.

With him being just 18 years old, expect the Red Sox to be very patient with him.

Last summer Groome made two starts in the Gulf Coast League before two more in short-season, Single-A Lowell. Over the four starts, he allowed three earned runs in 10 innings (one run in each of his final three appearances). He was kept on a pitch count with his longest start being 3 1/3 innings.weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-01-2017, 02:32 PM
The baseball world knows who Bryan Mata is, but the casual Red Sox fan might not.

It might be time to start learning, as the 18-year-old has been promoted to Single-A Greenville and could be the next star pitcher in the Red Sox farm system.

Since he is just 18 years old (just turned 18 on May 3), he has a long way to go, but the Red Sox organization values him a great deal. There were rumors the team declined to include him in any offseason trade proposals.

As a 17-year-old he went 4-4 with a 2.80 ERA in the Dominican League last summer, but did enough between the Fall Instructional League and extended spring training to earn a shot at Single-A.

“He was that good in extended,” Red Sox minor league pitching coordinator Ralph Treuel said. “He came up from extended. I said let’s start to stretch him out and get him some five inning outings. We got to the point where he didn’t make it look easy, but he deserved an opportunity to be challenged.”

Mata, a right-hander, stands 6-foot-3, 160 pounds so he is still growing into his body, but has a big presence on the mound. He doesn’t have an overpowering fastball (mid 90s), but is known for his above average secondary stuff.

The Red Sox will follow a similar path with him as they did Anderson Espinoza last year by monitoring his innings and pitch count each outing.

In two starts with Greenville, Mata has gone nine innings and allowed two runs with 10 strikeouts. On Wednesday, he went six innings and allowed one run on four hits, while walking two and striking out six.

For the second time this season, Salem third baseman Michael Chavis has won Carolina League Player of the Week. He won his last award for the stretch of games from May 22 to May 28. Going into Thursday, the right-handed hitter leads the Carolina League in batting, hitting .341/.431/.690 with 12 home runs and 42 RBIs in 42 games. The 2014 first-round pick battled injuries for much of his first few seasons as a professional, but now that he’s finally healthy he has been able to show his true potential.

----

In 40 games with Triple-A Charlotte, Yoan Moncada is batting .312 with six home runs and 16 RBIs. He has struck out 50 times in 157 at-bats, though. He is in a bit of a slump as he is 7-for-36 in his last 10 games. For Michael Kopech, it’s been much of the same as it was when he was with the Red Sox. In 10 starts with Double-A Birmingham, he’s 4-2 with a 2.38 ERA. He’s struck out 75 batters in 53 innings, but also has 31 walks. While he still has the strong fastball, he’s still having issues with his control.weei.com

papipapsmanny
06-01-2017, 04:18 PM
I still don't know if Kopech will be a starter but at the very least he is going to be a damn good reliever. Moncada will be legit, Still really like having Sale though.

Redsox are running into an interesting situation between Devers/Chavis. At some point you have to promote Chavis if he is not being challenged. If Devers wasn't in this slump I'v convinced both would have been promoted at the end of this month

RedSoxtober
06-02-2017, 03:23 PM
— A night after hitting a grand slam, Bryce Brentz continued his recent power surge, hitting a three-run homer in the fifth. His team-leading eighth home run of the year capped a six-run inning for the PawSox. The 28-year-old outfielder has four home runs and 13 RBIs in his past eight games.

— Hector Velazquez continued his stellar 2017 campaign, throwing six shutout innings and scattering only three hits. His ERA now sits at 1.50, which is good for second in the International League.

— Rusney Castillo, who leads the team in hits, added his 12th double of the season and grabbed a pair of RBIs, while shortstop Ryan Court had two doubles of his own.

— Top-rated Sox prospect Rafael Devers had a pair of hits and knocked in his 30th run of the year. The 20-year-old Devers leads the team in a number of offensive categories, among them total bases, home runs and RBIs.

— Michael Chavis went 2-for-5 with an RBI triple and scored a pair of runs. Chavis, who is still working his way back from an elbow injury, has started at third in five of the last seven contests after not making consecutive starts in the field for nearly two months.weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-04-2017, 08:08 PM
All things considered, it could have been worse for Pawtucket lefthander Brian Johnson on Saturday night. Johnson, who appeared on track to head to Boston to make his next start after Red Sox southpaw Eduardo Rodriguez was injured earlier this week, left his start after 1.2 innings when he slipped on the mound and tweaked his right hamstring.

Johnson was removed from the game, but manager Kevin Boles said afterward that the move was precautionary and, although it’s not clear if he will miss a turn in the rotation, he wasn’t overly concerned.

“He slipped on the mound and just extended his knee a little bit,” Boles said. “It’s just for precautionary reasons, obviously. He pitched last time in the big leagues, and we’re just going to err on the side of caution. He said (the hamstring) grabbed on him a little bit, so we’re going to err on the side of caution.”

Johnson was stellar on May 27 in the big leagues, when he spun a five-hit shutout with no walks and eight strikeouts against Seattle. Against Durham on Saturday, Johnson looked big league-ready as well. Before the injury he’d recorded five outs, all strikeouts, and surrendered a pair of singles. He’d flummoxed the Bulls by commanding his three-pitch mix low in the zone. He threw strikes with 19 of his 26 pitches.

He sat between 84-88 mph with his fastball and got swings and misses with both a low-80s changeup and a downer curveball in the low 70s. Boles said there were no tests scheduled on Johnson, and that he looked excellent before the injury.
Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/brian-johnson-exits-start-with-injury-boston-red-sox/#Jgyu5Dtmts8Ygmyg.99)

RedSoxtober
06-05-2017, 09:08 AM
In Triple A Pawtucket, outfielder Bryce Brentz went 1-for-4 with his fourth homer in eight games. Over his last nine contests, he’s hitting .406/.525/.875. Righthander Hector Velazquez tossed six shutout innings, striking out three and walking one, to lower his ERA to 1.50.

In Double A Portland, Rafael Devers had his second consecutive two-hit game, going 2-for-5, but continued to show some of his recent vulnerability to strikeouts, as he punched out twice. He now has 13 strikeouts in his last 13 games, hitting .189/.241/.302 in that span. Outfielder Danny Mars went 4-for-5, his fifth career game of at least four hits. The 23-year-old is hitting .310/.353/.424, with the switch-hitter managing a .300 average against righties and a .333 mark against lefties.

In High A Salem, Michael Chavis went 2-for-5 with a triple, leaving his line at .356/.430/.693. First baseman Josh Ockimey went 1-for-5 with a double to run his hitting streak to 16 games, though he did strike out three times.

In Single A Greenville, centerfielder Lorenzo Cedrola went 1-for-4 to run his hitting streak to 10 games during which he is hitting .390/.405/.561 with five steals. For the year, the 19-year-old is hitting .299/.335/.427 with 11 stolen bases while playing excellent defense.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Righthander Kyle Kendrick ran into familiar difficulties, sailing through his first turn through the lineup but getting hammered thereafter. The veteran yielded seven runs over 5 2/3 innings, and now has the worst ERA (7.38) of all qualifying pitchers in the International League. Given the performance, it seems fair to wonder whether his Triple A rotation spot is in jeopardy, particularly given the case that Portland lefthander Jalen Beeks has made for a promotion.

In Double A Portland, Rafael Devers went 2-for-6 with a triple in a doubleheader. Perhaps more notably, a player who’d fallen into becoming perhaps overly aggressive during a recent slump walked in each game of the contest, suggesting the possibility of an adjustment.

In High A Salem, first baseman Josh Ockimey extended his hitting streak to 15 games, though he did so in atypical fashion. After 12 consecutive games with exactly one hit, Ockimey went 3-for-3 with a double and a walk. He’s hitting .321/.427/.521.

In Single A Greenville, 18-year-old righthander Bryan Mata dazzled in his second start for the affiliate, allowing one run on four hits and two walks while striking out six over six innings. Pitchers as young as Mata rarely display the ability to work with sufficient efficiency to navigate that deep into games on relatively limited pitch counts.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-05-2017, 04:15 PM
The Red Sox moved a couple of their top early season performers up from Double A Portland to Triple A Pawtucket. Lefthander Jalen Beeks, who led the Eastern League with a 2.19 ERA, allowed four runs on six hits in six innings while striking out three and walking three. Given the struggles of Kyle Kendrick and Henry Owens (who allowed six runs in just 2/3 of an inning on Friday) in Pawtucket, Beeks is emerging as a darkhorse depth candidate for the Red Sox rotation. Reliever Ty Buttrey allowed one run in two innings in his Pawtucket debut; he neither struck out nor walked a batter.

While Rafael Devers remains in Double A Portland for now, it wouldn’t come as a huge surprise if his remaining time there is limited. The 20-year-old was 6 for 10 with two homers and a double over the weekend, improving his season line to .308/.371/.544 with 10 homers. He’s recovered impressively from an 11-game slump at the end of May in which he hit .136/.188/.227. In Devers’s last five contests, he’s 10 for 19 with a .526/.571/1.000 line.

Though third baseman Michael Chavis went just 2 for 15 over the weekend for High A Salem, both hits left the yard. He’s now hitting .337/.411/.680 with 14 homers, tied for fourth-most in the minors. Perhaps more remarkably, through just 27 home games at Salem’s Memorial Ballpark — a park hostile to power hitters — he’s launched 11 homers, a single-season record for the venue. Righthander Mike Shawaryn was promoted from Single A Greenville to Salem; in his High A debut, Shawaryn allowed two runs on seven hits while striking out six and walking one. Shawaryn has 13.0 strikeouts per nine innings this year, second-most among qualifying full-season minor leaguers.

In Single A Greenville, catcher Roldani Baldwin went 4 for 4 with a double on Sunday. The 21-year-old catcher shows intriguing offensive potential that’s made more difficult to interpret by some extreme splits. The righthanded hitter has a .291/.318/.573 line against righties but just a .176/.237/.353 line against southpaws.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Bryan Mata logged his second straight six-inning outing, with a nearly identical line to his prior effort. For the second straight start, Mata allowed one run on four hits over six innings while striking out six; the primary line score difference was that he walked one instead of two. Mata shows not only a solid three-pitch mix headlined by a low-90s fastball with angle but also impressive pitchability for a player who is the youngest pitcher in the South Atlantic League. He’s generating groundballs on more than half of the balls put in play against him while working efficiently, averaging just under 14 pitches per frame in his last two starts.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-09-2017, 04:32 PM
A few days ago, Michael Chavis was chatting with his High A Salem hitting coach, Nelson Paulino, who worked with Chavis two years ago as the Single A Greenville hitting coach. Offensively, that first full pro season was a hard one for Chavis, who hit just .223/.277/.405, but he did launch 16 homers that year – the most in the Red Sox organization.

“At that time,” Chavis recalled, “I remember thinking, ‘Wow – that is so many home runs.’”

That made another minor leaguer’s subsequent reach of 30 homers seem even more preposterous. Yet increasingly, the total strikes Chavis as less absurd.

On Thursday, the 21-year-old blasted his 15th homer of the year – a massive shot that was measured off the bat at 113 m.p.h. with a distance of 444 feet. Among Red Sox batters this year, only Hanley Ramirez (5), Mitch Moreland (2), and Xander Bogaerts (1) have hit balls with an exit velocity of 112 m.p.h. or greater. Only Ramirez has hit a ball as far as 444 feet.

Chavis is having a memorable season. In just 50 games, he’s hitting .342/.411/.684 with 15 homers. It’s a performance that has redefined his own sense of possibility.

“Looking at where I am now [in homers], I realize [that 30 homers is] not that far away,” said Chavis. “You look at things other people do sometimes and you’re like, ‘Wow, that’s unbelievable,’ without realizing it’s something you’re capable of.”

Chavis offered the observation not with arrogance but with a sense of surprised revelation. His 15 homers are the most by any Salem player since 2012, when Travis Shaw (16 in 99 games) and Xander Bogaerts (15 in 104 contests) cleared the fences that many times. Chavis remains amidst a season in which the projections and expectations for what he might be able to achieve are shifting – and in which, finally, he’s taking the raw tools that convinced the Sox to make him a 2014 first-rounder and turning them into production.Speier

Soxfan85
06-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Red Sox minor lg RH reliever Yankory Pimentel suspended 80 games for positive PED test. He had a 2.45 ERA w/27Ks in 29.1 IP in HiA/AA.

Alex Speier‏

Pimentel is currently set up in a relief role with Double-A Portland, posting a 2.42 ERA with a 1.46 WHIP over the course of 26 innings in the minor leagues this season. He holds a 26:10 K:BB and owns a 3-1 record, but will miss basically the rest of the 2017 season after serving his steroid suspension.

Providence Journal

RedSoxtober
06-12-2017, 01:13 PM
— Left fielder Danny Mars, who was assigned to Portland from Salem on April 4, totaled four hits in the game to lead the Sea Dogs offense. First baseman Nick Longhi, third baseman Mike Olt and catcher Jake DePew each added two hits a piece, while Olt and DePew homered. DePew had three RBIs in the game.

— Designated hitter Michael Chavis continued his hot hitting streak with his 16th home run of the year as the Red Sox accumulated 14 hits in the easy win. Chavis, a first-round draft pick in 2014, is hitting .335 with 54 RBIs in 2017. The 21-year-old has 68 total hits on the year.

— Second baseman Chad De La Guerra also homered in the game, and led the team with three hits. He is batting .318 on the season and has 29 RBIs. Center fielder Tate Matheny, first baseman Josh Ockimey, left fielder Mike Meyers, and shortstop Jeremy Rivera also added two hits each.

— On the mound, Dedgar Jimenez improved to 8-1 on the season with another win after allowing two hits and one earned run in six innings. Jimenez struck out four and walked two. Marc Brakeman and Trevor Kelley pitched out of the bullpen for Salem.

— Greenville starter Bryan Mata pitched six innings and allowed four hits and one earned run. Stephen Nogoseek (2-3) took the loss for the Drive in the ninth.weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-12-2017, 01:30 PM
In the first game, lefthander Henry Owens experimented with a modified delivery in which he used a higher leg kick. He opened the game with four no-hit innings, but his pitch count elevated due to control issues, and he left the game after 4 1/3 innings in which he threw 103 pitches while allowing one run on two hits and three walks while striking out three. He’s now up to 6.8 walks per nine innings, with his walk rate climbing each year he’s been in Triple A (2.8 per 9 in 2014, 4.1 per 9 in 2015, 5.3 per 9 in 2016, and now 6.8 per 9 this year).Speier

Wish we'd traded this kid when we had the chance.

RedSoxtober
06-14-2017, 03:59 PM
In High A Salem, Michael Chavis went 3-for-3 with his 17th homer of the season and his 12th in Salem Memorial Ballpark, extending his own record at the mammoth park. The 21-year-old remains amidst a remarkable season, hitting .345/.414/.694, while his 17 homers represent a new career high.

In Single A Greenville, lefthander Darwinzon Hernandez labored through 4 1/3 innings in which he allowed four runs (two earned) on four hits and three walks while striking out three, an outing that concluded for precautionary reasons when he rolled his ankle at the plate.

[L]efthander Henry Owens issued a career-high eight walks over 4 2/3 innings. He somehow allowed just one run, but his control problems now verge on alarming. He’s issued 48 walks this year, the most of any minor league pitcher, while his 7.4 walks per nine innings represent a career high.

Righthander Travis Lakins had one of his better Double A starts, allowing two runs in six innings, though he struck out just two batters. He’s striking out 12.4 percent of hitters in Double A, his strikeout rate well off his 27.7 percent rate in High A Salem prior to his promotion.

Righthander Jake Cosart continues to stall on the basis of woeful control. He walked three in just one-third of an inning on Tuesday, leaving him with a staggering 8.4 walks per nine innings this year.

The short-season Single A Lowell Spinners’ season-opening roster will include 2016 first-rounder Jay Groome – on a rehab assignment in his return from a lat strain – as well as one of the organization’s more interesting relief prospects, Joan Martinez, and raw, toolsy outfielder Yoan Aybar , who has been sent back to Lowell after struggling to a .160/.206/.200 line in 30 games in Greenville this year.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Groome has spent the last two months or so in Fort Myers rehabbing the injury, but after a few outings in extended spring training, the left-hander will start Monday's season opener for the short-season, Single-A Lowell Spinners.

“I’m ready to go,” Groome said at Spinners media day Friday. “I feel like myself again, so that’s all I can ask for. I just can’t wait to get out there and finally play a real game.”

Groome was the Red Sox' No. 12 overall pick in last year's draft out of Barnegat High School in New Jersey.

Fans will be eagerly watching the radar gun to see the speed on each of Groome’s pitches, but his plan on how to attack each hitter, rather than his velocity, will be what determines the outcome of his performance.

“Him having a plan is huge ‘cause you can tell when he does have a plan. Obviously, when he is mowing guys down there is a reason why,” said Spinners’ manager Iggy Suarez.

The plan Groome has when he pitches is one of the things Lowell catcher Nick Sciortino has noticed as what sets him apart from other pitchers his age.

“Every time he gets on the mound he knows what he is doing. He goes up there executes every pitch, he works hard and he has a plan,” Sciortino said, who was also a catcher at Boston College. “A lot of those young kids know their good and their stuffs good, so they just out there and ride it out. He knows what he's doing every pitch. He knows what he wants to throw. It’s impressive to watch him go about his business at such a young age and have such a good feel.”weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-21-2017, 09:41 AM
-- Jake Drehoff picked up the win in relief by going 4 1/3 innings and tallying a career-high seven strikeouts. After 16 1/3 innings pitched in Portland, Drehoff has a 6.61 ERA. The 2012 12th-round draft pick was moved up from Greenville on June 1.

-- Third baseman Rafael Devers went 2-for-6 in Monday’s win and blasted his 14th home run of the season in the top of the eighth inning. weei.com

BGeer091
06-21-2017, 11:39 AM
How long til Devers and Chavis are promoted to the next level?

RedSoxtober
06-21-2017, 04:10 PM
-- Don’t look now, but Rusney Castillo is hitting .309/.347/.496. On Tuesday, Castillo went 3-for-4, which extended his on-base streak to 22 games. It is the longest such streak in the International League.

-- Starter Jalen Beeks threw 6 1/3 innings, allowing three runs, four hits and three walks, while striking out a season-high nine. Beeks was one strikeout away from a career-high 10 strikeouts, which he set last year in Double-A.

-- Danny Mars led the game off with the home run. Mars finished the game 2-for-5 with two RBIs.

--Top Red Sox prospect Jason Groome got the start for Spinners on Monday, but rain cut his outing short. In 2 1/3 innings, Groome gave up one run, one hit and one walk, while striking out three.

Single-A All-Star break

-- Third baseman Michael Chavis was named MVP of All-Star Game. Chavis went 1-for-3 and drove home the North Division’s only two runs with a double in the first inning. This season Chavis is hitting .318/.388/.641.

-- Chad De La Guerra was 1-for-2 with a double and Josh Ockimey was 0-for-3.

-- Logan Boyd threw one inning giving up three runs, four hits and no walks with two strikeouts. Boyd is 7-4 with a 4.59 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP in 13 games.

-- Roldani Baldwin was a pinch hitter in the ninth inning. In his one at bat Baldwin doubled.
weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Michael Chavis' strong season continued this week by winning MVP in the Carolina League All-Star Game, and now he will take his strong play to the next level.

According to a source, the third baseman has been promoted to Double-A Portland. The news was first reported by Sox Prospects.

Some might try and connect this move to also mean a promotion of Rafael Devers to Triple-A, but another source said there is no reason the two could not be on the same team. While certainly Devers is a candidate to be promoted at some point, it doesn't neccesarily have to be now with Chavis on the roster.

Chavis is batting .318/.388/.641 this season with 17 home runs and 55 RBIs, while Devers is hitting .297/.355/.569.weei.com

Pittz
06-23-2017, 10:14 AM
That Portland team would be fun to watch with both of them mashing.

RedSoxtober
06-26-2017, 10:11 AM
In Triple A Pawtucket, on the day that the Red Sox outrighted Kyle Kendrick off the 40-man roster, the righthander was shelled, allowing 10 runs on 11 hits – including four homers – in five innings. In 10 Triple A starts, Kendrick has allowed 18 homers, tied for the second-most in the minors.

In High A Salem, righthander Stephen Nogosek pitched a scoreless inning with a pair of strikeouts in his first appearance since being promoted from Single A Greenville. The 2016 sixth-rounder has struck out 11.6 per nine innings this year.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-26-2017, 03:44 PM
In Double A Portland, Michael Chavis wasted no time in impressing following his promotion. He homered on the first pitch he saw on Friday, kicking off a 5-for-11 weekend in which he launched two homers (leaving him with 19, tied for the most in all of the minors) while walking once and striking out once. Kevin Thomas of the Portland Press Herald looks at his strong first impression at a new level.

In Triple A Pawtucket, Bryce Brentz continued to assert himself as the likely top choice for outfield depth should a need arise, going 4-for-13 with his 14th homer and two doubles. He’s hitting .316/.393/.633 with seven homers in June. For the second time in three starts, lefthander Henry Owens walked a career-high eight batters, doing so while allowing four runs on three hits in four innings. Though he’s permitting little by way of hard contact – he’s gone six straight outings without permitting a longball, and on the year, hitters have a .224 average against him – he’s walked 48 batters in his last 47 1/3 innings spanning 10 starts.

In High A Salem, first baseman Josh Ockimey went 2-for-5 with a double and five walks. Ockimey is hitting .290/.408/.450. Infielder Jordan Betts went 8-for-13 with two homers and two doubles to improve his season line to .248/.324/.455. Righthander Mike Shawaryn turned in arguably his best outing in four starts since being promoted from Greenville, allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits while striking out five and walking two. However, for the third time in four starts, he allowed a homer.

In Single A Greenville, catcher Roldani Baldwin went 4-for-9 with a double to open the second half. The 21-year-old is hitting .293/.325/.530 for the season.

In his second rehab start for short-season Lowell, lefthander Jay Groome allowed three runs (one earned) over 3 2/3 innings. He walked five and struck out two. Infielder Victor Acosta set a Lowell franchise record by collecting his 109th hit with the Spinners – an accomplishment with mixed meaning, given that it demonstrates his ongoing success at the level while also highlighting that he’s now playing in Lowell for the third season.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Lefthander Henry Owens, once the Red Sox’ top pitching prospect, had his option transferred from Triple A Pawtucket to Double A Portland, with the move to a lower level of competition coming at a time when the Red Sox will be asking him to make an arm slot adjustment in hopes that he will improve his strike-throwing.

Bryce Brentz homered in the top of the 10th inning as the Pawsox topped Lehigh Valley, 5-4. Austin Maddox got the win pitching two scoreless innings in relief with four strikeouts.

In High A Salem, Jordan Betts went 2-for-3 and homered for the third straight game to help lead the Sox over Lynchburg 5-2. Starter Shaun Anderson spun six solid innings to earn his first win of the season on the moundSpeier

RedSoxtober
06-28-2017, 10:41 AM
-- In a rehab appearance as he works his way back from an inner ear infection, Pablo Sandoval went 2-for-4 with a RBI and a run scored. Sandoval was taken out of the game in the sixth inning for a pinch-hitter.

-- Bryce Brentz has been seeing the baseball well for the past few days. On Tuesday, Brentz connected on two, two-run home runs, which was his third consecutive day with a home run. The left fielder finished the game going 2-for-4 with two walks. In the past 32 games, Brentz is hitting .330/.434/.678 with 13 home runs, 35 RBIs and 20 walks.

-- Mike Olt provided the Sea Dogs the only run support they needed by connecting for a two-run home run in the second inning. Olt finished the game going 2-for-3.

-- Travis Lakins went two innings, allowing one hit, one run and one walk. Lakins was pulled from the game after a rain delay following the second inning.

-- Jordan Betts extended his home run streak to four games. Betts finished the game 1-for-4. He has seven home runs on the season.

-- Roniel Raudes went five innings, allowing four runs, eight hits and three walks with one strikeout.

-- Bryan Mata threw five innings, allowing two runs, six hits and one walk with five strikeouts. In five starts, the southpaw is 1-0 with a 2.08 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP.weei.com

Remember when Mike Olt was actually considered a big time prospect? Wow, he's fallen.

RedSoxtober
06-29-2017, 03:25 PM
In Double A Portland, Rafael Devers went 3-for-4 with a pair of homers – his 15th and 16th of the season – while fellow slugger Michael Chavis hit his third homer in seven games since his promotion to Double A. Chavis now has 20 homers for the year, tied for the most in the minors...

In Pawtucket, Pablo Sandoval went 0-for-3, with two strikeouts and a walk, while Jhonny Peralta was 0-for-4 in his debut.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-30-2017, 03:51 PM
The question is almost inevitably raised any time mention is made of his offensive performance (after a 2-for-4 night with two doubles and a walk on Thursday, he’s hitting .301/.364/.583 with 16 homers and 38 extra-base hits in 68 games) as the youngest position player currently in the Double A Eastern League. The question, for now, is misplaced.

Devers is big for his age and position. He’s listed at 6 feet and 195 pounds, but he’s larger than that. Yet the extended opportunity to watch him play reveals a player who is athletic and agile in a way that belies his size. He shows range to both sides and, at a young age, shows an advanced ability to make off-balance throws when coming in on balls. His arm grades as above-average.

At the age of 20, he remains a work in progress at the position (he’s committed 10 errors in 58 games this year), yet for his age, he’s unusually advanced. He’s (literally) years ahead of where Yoan Moncada was at third base when the former Red Sox prospect was called up in 2016. Moreover, he’s earned consistent raves for both the volume and quality of the defensive work he’s put in, dating to his origins in the Red Sox system in 2014.

One AL evaluator recently noted that, while Devers might not be the equal of Deven Marrero at third base for the Sox, he grades ahead of virtually every other in-house option. Red Sox assistant GM Eddie Romero, who signed Devers out of the Dominican in 2014, is adamant about his defensive abilities.Speier

RedSoxtober
06-30-2017, 04:22 PM
It would appear that Jay Groome is ready for Greenville. In his third rehab start for the short-season Lowell Spinners, the 18-year-old threw five no-hit innings, walking two and striking out six. He topped out at 95 m.p.h., getting four swings and misses on fastballs and five on a curveball. In 11 innings with Lowell, Groome has a 1.64 ERA with 14 strikeouts and five walks. Now that he’s shown the ability to stay strong over the course of a full outing (the Red Sox typically cap 18-year-olds at five to six innings), his return to Greenville would appear likely.

In Triple A Pawtucket, Pablo Sandoval went 3-for-5 with three singles and a strikeout. He’s 5-for-12 in his first three games with the PawSox. Jhonny Peralta, serving as designated hitter for the second straight game, went 0-for-4 with a pair of strikeouts and a sac fly.Speier

BoSox47
07-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats 10m10 minutes ago
More
Devers just hit his 17th HR in 288 plate appearances... the youngest hitter in a cold northeast league. Unreal.

Coming up on 300 plate appearances. Look for him to be moved up to AAA soon.

papipapsmanny
07-02-2017, 11:23 AM
People don't like it but with it still being only about halfway through the season and how bad our 3B have been. I would not be surprised to see Devers at the MLB level soonish

j-bay
07-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Boston Strong @BostonStrong_34
International market is open, Red Sox have deals in Venezuela;

-Daniel Flores C, $3.1 MM
-Danny Diaz SS, $1.6 MM
-Antoni Flores SS, $1.4 MM

Flores is rated #2, but rated #1 by a lot of teams.

Flores is seen as one of the top two or three players that will come off the board during the new signing period. It is no secret that he is a superb all-around talent with superior catch-and-throw skills. The 16-year-old catcher is thought to have major power potential as well, making him a two-way threat. A switch-hitter as well, Flores notably stands at 6-foot-1 while weighing just under 200 pounds.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/heyman-red-sox-will-sign-venezuelan-catcher-daniel-flores/amp/

BoSox47
07-03-2017, 08:36 AM
This needed a whole new thread? Already have a Prospects thread up and a transactions thread up.

RedSoxtober
07-03-2017, 11:02 AM
People don't like it but with it still being only about halfway through the season and how bad our 3B have been. I would not be surprised to see Devers at the MLB level soonish

It's less about my opinion than listening to the FO. They've been tremendously resistant to the move. I believe that a great deal of the reticence has to do with his defense which, while better than I anticipated, sounds to be a work in progress. If his defense is where I suspect that it is, then I would not want him to get to MLB and have the defensive game speed up on him and translate to an offensive struggle.

I won't be surprised to see him in BOS before the end of the season but I will be surprised to see him before the trade deadline. Not sure how that fits into what you'd call "soonish" -- maybe we agree.

papipapsmanny
07-03-2017, 08:42 PM
It's less about my opinion than listening to the FO. They've been tremendously resistant to the move. I believe that a great deal of the reticence has to do with his defense which, while better than I anticipated, sounds to be a work in progress. If his defense is where I suspect that it is, then I would not want him to get to MLB and have the defensive game speed up on him and translate to an offensive struggle.

I won't be surprised to see him in BOS before the end of the season but I will be surprised to see him before the trade deadline. Not sure how that fits into what you'd call "soonish" -- maybe we agree.

I'm thinking like right after the trade deadline.

I'm more comfortable rolling with him and Lin, than trading impact guys for a rental.

Unless we someone like Frazier on the cheap, I rather go in that first direction

Green_Monster
07-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Henry Owens walked 6 batters and allowed 3 runs in 0.2 innings before getting pulled in AA. Wow, he has fallen far.

RedSoxtober
07-05-2017, 03:49 PM
at low a greenville, lefty jay groome tossed five shutout innings to earn his first professional win. The 12th overall pick in the 2016 draft allowed just one hit and one walk while striking out seven in his first appearance since coming off the disabled list.

5.0ip, 1h, 0r, 1bb, 7k

RedSoxtober
07-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Looks like we're getting prepped for Devers' arrival.

Double-A Portland manager Carlos Febles has managed several great young players in the last few years, including Yoan Moncada last year and now Rafael Devers this year.

According to Febles, the 20-year-old Devers is more advanced than Moncada (who many say is the top prospect in baseball) was last year.

“[Devers is] way [more] advanced,” said Febles, via Alex Speier of the Boston Globe. “Moncada was kind of a free swinger who would swing and miss a lot. That’s not Devers’s case. He has the ability to spread the field. When he’s at his best, he’s driving the ball all over the park, especially the other way. Moncada was basically one-dimensional. He had the ability to hit the ball the other way, but had a tough time recognizing pitches, especially the changeup. He couldn’t recognize the changeup. Devers is the other way around."

“The other thing is his defense. I think [Devers] would not struggle defensively. I think he’s a more refined defender than Moncada,” added Febles. “I know that he has things to work on defensively, but he’s not far away. That’s a guy that comes in, works hard, doesn’t like to make errors. If you’re hitting groundballs to him, he doesn’t like to bobble balls. He gets mad. He doesn’t just want to be another player. This guy wants to be great. He has the tools to do so.”weei.com

RedSoxtober
07-10-2017, 02:18 PM
— Michael Chavis (designated hitter) belted his fourth home run since joining Portland on June 22 to give the Sea Dogs a one-run victory. Chavis’ homer was a two-run shot in the fourth inning. The 21-year-old is now batting .267 with 16 hits and eight RBIs in 17 games with Portland. Chavis blasted 17 home runs and batted .318 in 59 games with Salem prior to being called up this season.

— Right fielder Jeremy Barfield also had two hits and an RBI. Barfield, who was assigned to Portland on May 25, is batting .278 in 41 games this season.

— Henry Owens earned his first win on the mound, since being demoted to Portland from Pawtucket on June 26. Owens allowed no runs on two hits in five innings. The 24-year-old also struck out five and walked five. Bobby Poyner earned his third save of the season.weei.com

Poyner and Boyner is tripping me up all the time.

BoSox47
07-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Looks like we're getting prepped for Devers' arrival.

Double-A Portland manager Carlos Febles has managed several great young players in the last few years, including Yoan Moncada last year and now Rafael Devers this year.

According to Febles, the 20-year-old Devers is more advanced than Moncada (who many say is the top prospect in baseball) was last year.

“[Devers is] way [more] advanced,” said Febles, via Alex Speier of the Boston Globe. “Moncada was kind of a free swinger who would swing and miss a lot. That’s not Devers’s case. He has the ability to spread the field. When he’s at his best, he’s driving the ball all over the park, especially the other way. Moncada was basically one-dimensional. He had the ability to hit the ball the other way, but had a tough time recognizing pitches, especially the changeup. He couldn’t recognize the changeup. Devers is the other way around."

“The other thing is his defense. I think [Devers] would not struggle defensively. I think he’s a more refined defender than Moncada,” added Febles. “I know that he has things to work on defensively, but he’s not far away. That’s a guy that
comes in, works hard, doesn’t like to make errors. If you’re hitting groundballs to him, he doesn’t like to bobble balls. He gets mad. He doesn’t just want to be another player. This guy wants to be great. He has the tools to do so.”

weei.com

Cannot wait for this kid. I think he really has a chance to be a special player.

RedSoxtober
07-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Bryce Brentz took a difficult spring and turned it into a sensational summer with a spectacular performance Monday, capturing the Triple-A Home Run Derby title for the International League with 18 blasts in the final round, 38 in total. Hometown favorite Daniel Vogelbach, representing the Pacific Coast League, was unable to keep pace in the final round, sending seven balls over the fence at Cheney Stadium, home of his Tacoma Rainiers.

"Pretty special, considering how things started out," Boston's 2010 Compensation A pick said of the All-Star experience. "Coming in and not having the spring I wanted to, still kind of searching through some things mechanically. At one point, I really hit rock bottom and then [Pawtucket hitting coaches Rich Gedman and Bruce Crabbe] and I made an adjustment, started doing a toe tap and just sync up some things. It's been pretty good."MiLB.com

RedSoxtober
07-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Rafael Devers will take part in Wednesday’s Eastern League All-Star contest in Manchester, N.H.

Righthander Mike Shawaryn continued a very strong run that suggests he’s settled into High A Salem, logging 6 2/3 innings in which he allowed one run on five hits and a walk while striking out six. Shawayn’s ability to command his fastball/slider combination continues to give opposing hitters trouble, helping him to a 0.76 ERA with 26 strikeouts and nine walks over his last 23 2/3 innings spanning four starts.

In Single A Greenville, lefthander Jay Groome lasted just 2 1/3 innings while allowing four runs (three earned) on five hits while walking two and striking out two. Catcher Roldani Baldwin went 3-for-5 with a double and homer. The 21-year-old now has three straight multi-hit games and seven in his last 10 contests, improving his season line to .301/.335/.549 with 11 homers and 33 extra-base hits in 58 games – a line that commands notice at a position that is starved for offense.

The Rookie Level GCL Red Sox have a pair of the organization’s top prospects on rehab assignments. Third baseman Bobby Dalbec (broken hamate) went 1-for-3, leaving him with a .259/.375/.296 line in seven rehab games, while shortstop C.J. Chatham (hamstring) started a rehab assignment by going 0-for-2 with a walk in his first game since suffering a recurrence of his hamstring injury in Greenville on May 19. Second-rounder Cole Brannen went 2-for-4 with a steal, and he’s now hitting .286/.483/.286 with a pair of steals, six walks, and three strikeouts through seven games.Speier

RedSoxtober
07-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Hope the son doesn't have the dad's character issues. Maybe this is why teams shied away.

The father of 2016 Red Sox first-round pick Jay Groome has been arrested in New Jersey on numerous charges, according to a report from the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office.

Jason Groome, 43, was charged with possession of heroin, possession of heroin with the intent to distribute, distribution of heroin, possession of cocaine, possession of cocaine over one half ounce with the intent to distribute, distribution of cocaine over one half ounce, possession of methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, distribution of methamphetamine, and possession of a firearm (9 mm handgun).

Groome was stopped while driving on Monday, and at the same time his home was searched. Two other men were arrested as well. They were the focus of a three-month investigation involving several law enforcement agencies.weei.com

BoSox47
07-14-2017, 12:29 PM
@EvanDrellich
Source: Red Sox top 3B prospect Rafael Devers has been promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket. http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/source-third-base-prospect-rafael-devers-promoted-pawtucket …

CSNNE is reporting that Devers is being promoted to AAA.

BoSox47
07-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Devers went 4-4 with a home run, double and two singles in his AAA debut.

RedSoxtober
07-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Devers (6), Groome (87), and Chavis (96) are the only guys in BA's mid-season top 100. IFA signings Daniel Flores (2) and Danny Diaz (7) are among the top 10 IFA signings.

papipapsmanny
07-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Devers (6), Groome (87), and Chavis (96) are the only guys in BA's mid-season top 100. IFA signings Daniel Flores (2) and Danny Diaz (7) are among the top 10 IFA signings.

I'd have a good argument for Ockimey being in the top 100. He has had sustained success now and has legit power and very legit walk skills.

RedSoxtober
07-26-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm not as high on Ockimey. It's great to see his line constantly improving even as he moves up the levels. That said, his k-rate (25+%) keeps him from being a top prospect. BB rate is pretty impressive though. Maybe it will all play together in the new ERA of MLB where k-rates are apparently less important that HR-rates.

RedSoxtober
07-27-2017, 08:55 AM
In Double A Portland, Michael Chavis is getting hot. He went 2-for-3 on Tuesday with a homer (his seventh in 31 games since his promotion) for his fourth straight multi-hit game while also accepting three free passes. He set career highs for both walks in a game and times reaching base (5) while improving his Double A line to .281/.323/.526. His 24 combined homers between Salem (17) and Portland (7) are tied for the second-most by anyone in the minors this year.

In Single A Greenville, 18-year-old righthander Bryan Mata had yet another strong outing, allowing two runs (one earned) over five innings while walking one and striking out six. In 10 starts, he’s 3-3 with a 2.79 ERA with 8.2 strikeouts per nine innings and 2.0 walks per nine. He has walked two or fewer batters in each of his 10 outings.

Second-round pick Cole Brannen had his first career three-hit game, going 3-for-4 for the Rookie Level GCL Red Sox. Through 18 games, he’s hitting .293/.481/.293 with five steals.Speier

Green_Monster
07-31-2017, 07:23 PM
Chavis has his OPS up to .884 in AA. He struggled for a little while but has looked good recently. He's turned into a very interesting prospect.

Soxfan85
08-02-2017, 04:07 PM
The Red Sox have promoted third-rounder Brett Netzer to Single A Greenville. He hit .317/.376/.390 in 22 games for Lowell.

Alex Speier

Green_Monster
08-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Chavis has his OPS up to .884 in AA. He struggled for a little while but has looked good recently. He's turned into a very interesting prospect.

Up to .924 now. I wonder what his promotion chances are with Devers likely staying in the MLB.

Also, Josh Ockimey got promoted to Portland.

RedSoxtober
08-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Would you consider a rotation of Chavis/Travis/Devers through 1B/3B/DH? I'd be glad to limit Hanley's PA and make it more difficult to lock his option year. He's not worth the money now and even less likely in 2019.

Green_Monster
08-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Would you consider a rotation of Chavis/Travis/Devers through 1B/3B/DH? I'd be glad to limit Hanley's PA and make it more difficult to lock his option year. He's not worth the money now and even less likely in 2019.

Yes. Hanley has a .770 OPS this year with the majority of his time coming at DH. How much worse can that rotation be? Even with young player struggles I can't imagine their combined OPS dropping below like .750, and that's worst case scenario.

BGeer091
08-03-2017, 01:47 PM
I've said a couple times now that we have a barren farm system. The more I look into it, the more I think I am wrong. Are we a top 10 farm system? No. However I think there are 3 or 4 guys that are going to contribute at the majors in a big way. I also think there is another 3 or 4 guys that could be the vocal point in a deals for good MLB players. I am very happy that ownership told Dave not to trade anymore top prospects. I was bummed we lost Anderson and Nogosek. I thought they were the future of our pen. Not closers but 7th and 8th inning guys teams are overpaying for now.

I really like the catchers we have especially Flores. I think Baldwin will get over looked, but I see a very good back up catcher there. Flores I believe is going to be a perennial all star, and gold glove candidate. I think he's a guy where the sky is the limit for him. I don't know what his attitude and work ethic are but if they are great then he's going to be great. Flores is 4 years out most likely, and Baldwin is 3 year IMO

As far as other infield position players I am still very high on Dalbec. I think he's the guy who will be our 3rd baseman of the future. I'm convinced Devers gets moved to DH or 1st base eventually. I think the chances of Devers, and Dalbec as our 5th and 6th hitters in the line up are high. As far as Travis, and Ockimey I just see them as debth pieces or trade bait. Netzer could be Pedrioa's replacement at 2nd base. Not saying he'd be the same player Pedroia is. Just that he could be our everyday 2nd baseman. Flores is another very interesting SS prospect. Highly doubt he makes it through the system, I think he's traded 2 years from now in a mega deal. I see him as a guy who goes somewhere else and we are always saying I wish we had him still. He is easily 5 years away anyways. Chavis is definitely moved IMO. He shouldn't be though. He should be given a chance in Boston. I just think Dave moves him.

The outfield is probably iffy though. Honestly no one screams all star to me. The only player I think has the chance to be an everyday player is Brannen. He has quite a bit of development to do though. Brentz cant seem to figure it out for us at the MLB level. I think he should be a depth outfielder/DH like Young. He just cant figure it out. It's a shame. Cedrola looks like his ceiling is a Dyson. Realistically see him as speed off of the bench.

As far as pitching goes, I think we have one legit ace potentially in Groome. I believe he's going to get on a roll that gets him to Boston faster than most people think. That is not next year IMO. Ball, Owens, Beeks are just depth to me. Guys who are career AAAA. I see Houck, and Schreff as wild cards, guys who wouldn't surprise me if they became middle of the rotation starters, but also would surprise me if they ended up in the pen either. I don't really think Shawaryn is a starter either, he's probably going to end up as a 7th inning guy. No one else stands out to me as anything more than trade bait. Guys who will have a great couple months then be used in a deal.

Just my thoughts on our farm system. I realize it's very early in the development of most of these players and in a years time players could establish themselves. It's just how I feel about them now.

papipapsmanny
08-03-2017, 02:25 PM
A top 7 of potential and productivity of

Devers
Chavis
Groome
Travis
Mata
Flores
Ockimey.

That is a pretty damn good start to a system, considering the damage we have taken. Travis seems Shaw like with overall better contact skills and overall less power

And how about Chavis? Possible 30 HR season from a 21 year old is pretty damn impressive

papipapsmanny
08-03-2017, 02:35 PM

Perhaps.... but JF would be the one the use all of them completely wrong and ruin them

BGeer091
08-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Devers
Chavis
Groome
Travis
Mata
Flores
Ockimey.

That is a pretty damn good start to a system, considering the damage we have taken. Travis seems Shaw like with overall better contact skills and overall less power

And how about Chavis? Possible 30 HR season from a 21 year old is pretty damn impressive

I absolutely agree. I think Chavis has been very impressive. I just can't shake the feeling he's moved. I think this team could get hot and absolutely win a world series, i'm just not sure that they do. So I think our F.O will want another big move in the off season, and Chavis to me is the guy that is the center piece in that deal.

RedSoxtober
08-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Sean McAdam of Boston Sports Journal writes that Red Sox upper management and owners made clear to president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski that he was not to deal the organization’s top prospects at this year’s trade deadline.Speier

RedSoxtober
08-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes. Hanley has a .770 OPS this year with the majority of his time coming at DH. How much worse can that rotation be? Even with young player struggles I can't imagine their combined OPS dropping below like .750, and that's worst case scenario.
That and I'd rather pay $500K for .750 OPS than $22M!

Devers
Chavis
Groome
Travis
Mata
Flores
Ockimey.

I believe that Travis no longer qualifies as a prospect because he's exceeded MLB qualifications as a rookie (130AB/50IP/45 days on the roster). Devers probably doesn't count either. Well, I mean, he won't by the end of the year. Fortunately, Devers can make the kind of impact that we're paying Sandoval for...

I look for Chavis' exploits every day... but I'm still wait-and-see with him as a prospect. He's having a terrific year but I need to see two before I really buy it.

Ockimey, hm. As much as there is to get excited about, I'm still not sold on the kid. I don't know why.

I don't mean to sound like I'm downing everything here. A young core of Vazquez, Travis, Bogaerts, Devers, Benintendi, Bradley, and Betts is together for at least two more years (assuming no trades) along with Sale, Porcello, and EdRo. That's a pretty enviable group to start with as a baseline.

Groome has ballin' last night. 6IP, 1H, 1BB, 8K, 0ER. Mata is one of my favs. Excited to see what Flores might become.

RedSoxtober
08-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Per Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/organization-talent-rankings-updated-trade-deadline/?et_rid=1847456532&s_campaign=108stitches:newsletter#S1PltwPQAZul4ZEG .97), the Red Sox have the 20th best farm system.

In Triple A Pawtucket, Rusney Castillo went 2-for-4 with a double. He’s hitting .313/.350/.493. Lefthander Brian Johnson, on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation since July 23, is the scheduled Saturday starter for the PawSox.

In Double A Portland, third baseman Michael Chavis went 2-for-4 with a double and a homer, his 10th with the Sea Dogs and his 27th for the year between Salem and Portland. He now has an 11-game hitting streak. Chavis, hitting .298/.353/.582 with the Sea Dogs, now has a .310/.374/.618 line for the year. He’s tied for the minor league lead in homers (27) and ranks third in the minors in slugging (.618) and extra-base hits (56).

High A Salem was rained out.

With Single A Greenville, second baseman Brett Netzer went 2-for-4, improving to 3-for-8 in the 2017 third-rounder’s first two contests since his promotion from Lowell.Speier

RedSoxtober
08-08-2017, 02:32 PM
— Héctor Velázquez (7-3) pitched five innings, while Edgar Olmos pitched four innings in the shutout win. Velázquez allowed two hits and recorded nine strikeouts. The 28-year-old native from Mexico has a 1.93 ERA. Olmos, the 27-year-old lefty pitcher, has a 2.89 ERA and tallied three of his own strikeouts and allowed one hit on Monday.

—Bryce Brentz went 2-for-4 with a homer and four RBIs in the win and is batting .275. Throughout the summer, Brentz has increased his batting average. In June he was hitting .340, in July his average was .297, and August he has hit .240.

— No. 2 prospect Jay Groome (3-4) got the win after pitching five innings. He allowed three hits and notched six strikeouts. Groome was named the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week for July 31-Aug. 6. The lefty pitcher and first-round draft pick in 2016 was assigned to Greenville in April, and has since had an ERA 6.68. weei.com

Note: The writer did not do his or her homework. Groome has a 6.68 ERA with Greenville, but gave up a third of his ER in his first start of the season when he exited with the oblique issue. His ERA since returning to Greenville is 4.35.

papipapsmanny
08-10-2017, 08:28 PM
So does Chavis hit an HR every night now....

Green_Monster
08-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Bobby Poyner seems like an interesting possible bullpen arm for next year. Lefty closer with great strike out and walk rates. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=poyner000bob

RedSoxtober
08-25-2017, 10:25 AM
The acquisition of [Rajai] Davis means there’s no room on the major league roster for Bryce Brentz, who blasted two more home runs for the Triple A Pawtucket Red Sox in a 5-3 win over the Buffalo Bisons. Brentz became just the seventh PawSox player to reach 30 homers in a season. Bill Koch of the Providence Journal has more on Brentz’s big night. Reliever Carson Smith worked a scoreless sixth inning in relief as he looks to make it back to Boston.

Henry Owens (3-5) allowed two runs and two hits in five innings for the Sea Dogs. He walked five and struck out six.

In Single A Greenville, Left fielder Ryan Scott smacked a grand slam for the second straight game to lead the Drive to a 16-5 win over the Columbia Fireflies. It was the fourth straight game that Scott has homered, and he now has 13 homers on the year. Second baseman Brett Netzer went 4-4 with four RBIs. Third baseman Bobby Dalbec added a pair of hits, including a double to drive in two runs.

Speier

Owens' inability to command the strike zone is almost comical. His stuff is almost unhittable... because it's nowhere near the zone.

Dalbec looks like he's finally recovered from his hamate bone problem. He's hitting .265/.390/.482 for Greenville this month with 6-2B, 4HR, and 12RBI. Nice recovery for him this season.

Pittz
08-25-2017, 01:31 PM
I would have preferred seeing Brentz to picking up Rajai.

Green_Monster
08-25-2017, 07:21 PM
I would have preferred seeing Brentz to picking up Rajai.

That makes two of us.

RedSoxtober
08-30-2017, 09:22 AM
In High A Salem, righthander Mike Shawaryn threw a career-high eight innings on Sunday, allowing one run while striking out nine and walking one. In 25 starts spanning 128 2/3 innings, the 22-year-old is 8-6 with a 3.92 ERA and 11.2 strikeouts per nine innings.

Outfielder Tate Matheny went 7-for-11 with two doubles and a triple over the weekend. With five straight multi-hit games, the 23-year-old is hitting .266/.335/.412 for the year with 26 steals in 33 attempts. Much of that production has come against lefties, with Matheny pounding southpaws at a .328/.409/.500 rate that suggests a player who could profile as a fourth outfielder.

In Single A Greenville, lefthander Jay Groome has been shut down due to a forearm strain, according to Ian Browne of MLB.com. In his first full pro season – one interrupted by multiple injuries – the 2016 first-rounder went 3-9 with a 5.69 ERA along with 11.7 strikeouts per nine innings.

Lefthander Darwinzon Hernandez allowed two runs over six innings, striking out seven and walking one, to lower his ERA to 3.81. The 20-year-old has struck out 10.2 per nine innings this year.

Brett Netzer, a 2017 third-rounder, went 4-for-9 with a pair of walks over the weekend. The 21-year-old has a seven-game hitting streak that includes four multi-hit games in his last five contests, boosting his Greenville line to .289/.365/.337.

In short-season Lowell, first-rounder Tanner Houck fired three shutout innings, retiring nine of the 10 batters he faced while striking out four. In eight starts, Houck has a 3.12 ERA with 18 strikeouts and seven walks in 17 1/3 innings. Opponents are hitting .188 against him with no homers.Speier

RedSoxtober
09-06-2017, 11:51 AM
The Red Sox’ three top minor league power hitters wrapped up the season with a final long ball. In Triple A, Brentz hit his 31st (a rocket with an exit velocity of 112 miles per hour against lefthander Hector Santiago), while outfielder Jeremy Barfield – promoted from Portland for the final weekend of the season – went 5-for-11 with four walks and his 28th homer in just 399 minor league plate appearances this year.

In Double A Portland, Michael Chavis went 1-for-13 over the last weekend, but his lone hit was his 14th homer in 67 Double A games and his 31st overall in 2017. Thanks to a late-season slide, Chavis finished in Portland with a .250/.310/.492 line in 67 games. Outfielder Danny Mars went 4-for-11 to finish the year with a .304/.351/.403 line. Lefthander Henry Owens pitched into the seventh inning for the first time since adjusting his arm slot, allowing four runs (one earned) over 6 2/3 innings. He allowed four hits and four walks while striking out six.

In High A Salem, righthander Mike Shawaryn closed out an impressive pro debut by allowing one run over six innings and, for the second straight start, striking out nine. The 2016 fifth-rounder finished the year with an 8-7 record, a 3.81 ERA inflated by a couple of off-the-rails starts, and an impressive 11.3 strikeouts per nine innings while remaining strong through the entirety of a 134 2/3 inning workload.

In Single A Greenville, third baseman Bobby Dalbec continued his late-season power surge, going 3-for-5 with two doubles and a homer on Monday in the season’s final regular season game. He finished the season with three round trippers in his final five days. First baseman Pedro Castellanos – promoted from the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League – went 3-for-9 with a double and strikeout in his first two games at the level.

The only two affiliates still playing are short-season Lowell, who are at home for three games before concluding their season on Thursday, and the Single A Greenville Drive, who open their best-of-three divisional round of the South Atlantic League playoffs on WednesdaySpeier

Torrential rain coming down in Greenville right now and looks to be the same for Charleston so the opener for the Drive playoffs appears doubtful.

RedSoxtober
09-17-2017, 04:35 PM
The Greenville Drive won the SAL championship Friday night, beating Kanapolis. Here's the final at bat (http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1835166483&topic_id=&sid=t428&tcid=vpp_copy_1835166483&v=3) of the game if you're interested.

RedSoxtober
10-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Offensive Player of the Year: 3B Michael Chavis (.283/.347/.563 with 31 homers) – he and Bryce Brentz were the first Red Sox minor leaguers with 30-plus homers since 2011.

Pitcher of the Year: LHP Jalen Beeks (11-6, 3.29 ERA, 9.6 K/9, 3.4 BB/9) – Beeks, who spent the year in Double A Portland and Triple A Pawtucket, faded a bit down the stretch. Nonetheless, he was a consideration for a callup on multiple occasions, and thanks to a four-pitch mix, he seems like a lock to be added to the Sox’ 40-man roster this winter and to serve as a big league rotation and bullpen depth option going forward.

Defensive Player of the Year: C Austin Rei (.223/.330/.345) – while Rei’s offense has yet to permit the 2015 third-rounder to advance to the upper levels, he has the catch-and-throw skills to be a big league backup. He threw out 40.4 percent of would-be base stealers this year.

Baserunner of the Year: OF Tate Matheny (.266/.338/.408 with 27 steals in 34 attempts) – The combination of solid speed and bat-to-ball skills allowed Matheny to show a versatile across-the-board skill set that suggests a potential profile as a fourth outfielder.

Latin Program Player of the Year: 1B/OF Keibert Petit (.270/.367/.354)

Latin Program Pitcher of the Year: RHP Luis Rivero (10-1, 1.06 ERA, 34 strikeouts in 34 innings)

Both Petit and Rivero performed well in their third tours of the Dominican Summer League. That said, the Sox lacked standouts at their academy this summer due to their exclusion from the international amateur free agent market in 2016-17. After a down 2017 season, the Red Sox expect to see a renewal of their international pipeline at their academy in 2018, with plans to feature two Dominican Summer League teams next year.

Lou Gorman Award for dedication and perseverance in overcoming obstacles: LHP Brian Johnson – when contemplating the Sox’ presence in the playoffs, it’s worth considering that they went 5-0 in Johnson’s five starts. Those contributions were all the more noteworthy given that they came one year after Johnson took two months away from pitching in games in order to seek treatment for anxiety. In Triple A Pawtucket, he went 3-4 with a 3.09 ERA with 7.0 strikeouts and 2.8 walks per nine innings. Speier

BGeer091
10-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Is Daniel Flores playing anywhere? I haven't been this excited for a prospect since Devers first signed.

RedSoxtober
10-19-2017, 08:55 AM
It doesn't appear so, no.

papipapsmanny
10-21-2017, 02:18 PM
What is Flores Offensively? I know his Defense is elite, but if he becomes an offensive force you have to think about a position change (way down the line, and only if he is great offensively)

Chavis is such a ? to me. He is right between trade him while his value is high and oh wow he has legit offensive abilities to me.

If he can ever maintain a walk rate above 8% and a K rate around 20% with just average contact rates he will be productive. Interested to see what he does.

BGeer091
10-24-2017, 03:33 PM
What is Flores Offensively? I know his Defense is elite, but if he becomes an offensive force you have to think about a position change (way down the line, and only if he is great offensively)

Chavis is such a ? to me. He is right between trade him while his value is high and oh wow he has legit offensive abilities to me.

If he can ever maintain a walk rate above 8% and a K rate around 20% with just average contact rates he will be productive. Interested to see what he does.

I'm not sure why you would have to consider a position change for him. If he lives up to his bill(which I believe he will) he'd be one of the best catchers in baseball and a middle of the order bat. You don't move him off that position. Crazy thing is, he's already got a perfect catchers body too.

RedSoxtober
10-24-2017, 03:48 PM
The reason that you'd consider a position change is that catchers have a notoriously short life in MLB, particularly if their bat is the calling card. The new rules about collisions with runners will help mitigate that some, but the physical wear and tear from getting into that crouch 200+ times a night adds up quickly.

papipapsmanny
10-24-2017, 07:17 PM
Exactly. If he becomes a .300 30 HR guy.... I would want him moved. Keep him productive and healthy. Lets hope we get to that point

Soxfan85
10-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Red Sox re-signed OF Aneury Tavarez to a minor league contract.
Tavarez was selected 12th overall by the Orioles in last year's Rule 5 Draft but failed to crack their Opening Day roster and was returned to the Red Sox. The 25-year-old outfielder has posted some intriguing minor league numbers.

Baseball America

RedSoxtober
10-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Sam Travis played LF in "winter" league action yesterday. It's the first time that he's played anywhere other than 1B.

RedSoxtober
11-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Sox minor league shortstop Deiner Lopez, who plays for Double-A Portland, was suspended 50 games by MLB after testing positive for Amphetamine.Boston Herald

j-bay
11-08-2017, 05:39 PM
according to multiple sources, top red sox prospect daniel flores is dealing with a serious medical condition that could impact his 2018 season.

While the exact diagnosis isn't known, the 17-year-old was recently in boston to address the situation.

Citing hipaa (the health insurance portability and accountability act) laws, and out of respect to flores and his family, the red sox declined comment.

Flores, a catcher, was signed by the red sox as part of their most recent international free agent signing class, july 2. A native of venezuela, he was inked to a $3.1 million signing bonus.

Both mlb.com and baseball america identified flores as the no. 2 ranked prospect among those international free agents signed over the summer. Ba's ben badler identified flores as the best international catching prospect since gary sanchez, who was signed by the yankees in 2009.

weei

j-bay
11-10-2017, 12:13 PM
This is cool. Jay Groome is doing deadlifts with Chris Sale.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbUeQ0qAfyZ/

RedSoxtober
11-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Two years ago, the Red Sox needed a right-handed hitting fourth outfielder, so they committed two years and $14 million to Chris Young.

This time around, they will be relying on one of their own.

Speaking at the GM meetings Tuesday, Dave Dombrowski said that Bryce Brentz is the heavy favorite to fill the position left behind by Young, who is now a free agent.

"Right now, we’ll have Bryce Brentz do that job for us," the Red Sox president of baseball operations said. "We have also internally Blake Swihart, who we think can play outfield, trying to create continued versatility."

Brentz had a breakout season in Triple-A in 2017, hitting 31 home runs in 120 games for Pawtucket. But the righty hitter still didn't receive a promotion in Sept., with the team choosing to rely on Young for its righty bat off the bench.

The Red Sox were also hesitant to promote Brentz because his presence would necessitate a player being taken off the 40-man roster, which the 28-year-old was not on. This offseason, however, Brentz was added to the Red Sox' 40-man, keeping him from becoming a free agent.

"We had a veteran in Chris Young playing that position at that time. We didn’t have the at-bats for him to bring him up because of how our roster was constructed. But we really liked him," Dombrowski said. "He did a good job for us. I know people look at that as there’s roster limitations. There are 40 guys at the time. There’s not at-bats. What are you going to do with him?

"We always, in our own mind, felt that we could get to that time at the end of the year where we could protect him. We’re looking at him. He has a leg up. We’re not really looking to go sign somebody at this time. Could somebody later on, if they’re a person that can add some roster depth, somebody so good that they fall to you, would you be open to that? Sure. But right now, we like him. He’s having a real good winter ball season in Mexico. He shows you the determination to play there, which is really a credit to him. We felt he made some strides last year, particularly when it comes to left-handed pitching."weei.com

RedSoxtober
11-20-2017, 03:13 PM
The Red Sox today filled their 40-man roster by adding three pitchers, all of whom would have been eligible for the Rule 5 draft had they not been added to the roster. There are no real surprises among the three new additions, as each one pitched in Triple-A this past season and could be ready for a big league role next season. Previously this offseason, the Red Sox added two more minor league players to keep them from reaching minor league free agency.

Here are the new additions:

Jalen Beeks

Left-handed starter
24 years old
This year: Split between Double-A and Triple-A, finished with 155 strikeouts and a 3.29 ERA in 145 innings.
Why he was added: He's emerging as one of the better upper-level starters in the minor league system. After 17 Triple-A starts, could be a big league option immediately, and he's now considered one of the better prospects in the organization.
Next year: Likely a source of rotation depth in Pawtucket, especially if fellow lefties Brian Johnson and Roenis Elias become bullpen options.

---

Chandler Shepherd

Right-handed reliever
25 years old
This year: Spent all season in Triple-A with 68 strikeouts and 18 walks across 59-2/3 innings.
Why he was added: Ranked as the Red Sox' No. 21 prospect by MLB Pipeline, pitched well enough in Triple-A to suggest he’s big league ready. Would have been a real risk to be selected in the Rule 5 and could play a role immediately.
Next year: Similar to the role Austin Maddox and Ben Taylor played this season, could bounce back and forth from Triple-A while trying to prove himself in the big leagues.

---

Ty Buttrey

Right-handed reliever
24 years old
This year: Spent most of the year in Double-A with a stint in Triple-A, then pitched well with a 2.16 ERA in the Arizona Fall League
Why he was added: Got a high bonus as a high school draft pick and moved from the rotation to the bullpen last year. He’s moved in and out of prospect Top 30 lists and saw his strikeout rate improve this season.
Next year: Got 10 games of Triple-A experience this year but could join Shepherd on that Triple-A shuttle to provide bullpen depth, while hoping to take a step forward that suggests staying power.

Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2017/11/details_on_3_pitchers_red_sox_add_to_40_man_roster )

RedSoxtober
12-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Red Sox lefthander Jay Groome changed agents this offseason, switching from Jeff Randazzo of the Ballengee Group to Brodie Scoffield of The Legacy Agency. Groome is living in Fort Myers this offseason, with Red Sox lefthander Chris Sale having reached out to the 2016 first-rounder to work out with him this offseason. Red Sox officials, for obvious reasons, are thrilled with the prospect of having Sale mentor Groome, particularly given the belief by team officials that Groome’s offseason conditioning program last winter may have contributed to his injury struggles in his first full pro season in 2017.

While the Red Sox have yet to talk with 2013 first-rounder Trey Ball about a potential move to the bullpen, multiple major league sources feel that the team’s best chance to salvage some value from the 23-year-old – assuming he is not taken in the Rule 5 draft – is with a move to a relief role, possibly with an arm-slot change.Speier