PDA

View Full Version : CP3 out 6-8 weeks will require surgery

spreadeagle
01-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Big blow for the Clips

The L.A. Clippers announced that Chris Paul will undergo surgery on Wednesday, Jan. 18 to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb.

Dr. Steve Shin will perform the procedure.

Paul is expected to miss approximately six-to-eight weeks and will continue to undergo treatment and evaluation by the Clippers medical staff.

In 36 games this season, the Clippers are 26-9 with Paul in the lineup. The nine-time NBA All-Star is averaging 17.5. points, 9.7 assists and 5.3 rebounds this season and leads the NBA with 2.25 steals per game.

Chronz
01-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Guess this means we take on the Jazz in the first round, and thats the best case scenario. FML

dhopisthename
01-17-2017, 09:27 PM
this is a really huge loss for them. no blake or cp3? they might fall to 6th or 7th. going to be really interesting to see how they play.

GiantsSwaGG
01-17-2017, 09:33 PM
Y'all still don't want Melo?

BKLYNpigeon
01-17-2017, 09:40 PM

Melo is No Bueno with a legit PG.

He's had his best years with Chauncy and even that first year when they were on the Knicks together.

kdspurman
01-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Guess this means we take on the Jazz in the first round, and thats the best case scenario. FML

Would much rather you drop to 7 or 8 :)

What better time to get the Dubs then when they're in their first series together?

Chronz
01-17-2017, 11:36 PM

F no. lol, why would we? Unless you talking about taking back garbage like Austin and Jamal

Chronz
01-17-2017, 11:43 PM
Would much rather you drop to 7 or 8 :)

What better time to get the Dubs then when they're in their first series together?

I would actually. If only to see that team go through a gauntlet after the cupcake road they had when they won their first title. I mean, you assembled the greatest collection of talent of ALL-TIME. I would hope they have to breathe alil to win.

Best case scenario we finish 3rd or 4th, but I would GLADLY settle for taking on the Spurs.

Chronz
01-17-2017, 11:47 PM
this is a really huge loss for them. no blake or cp3? they might fall to 6th or 7th. going to be really interesting to see how they play.

Blake is back soon, maybe we lose a few more games but the West isn't as strong as it once was, outside of GS , the Clips really dont fear anyone. What matters for them is full health, they have the 2nd best starting lineup in the league.

kdspurman
01-17-2017, 11:52 PM
I would actually. If only to see that team go through a gauntlet after the cupcake road they had when they won their first title. I mean, you assembled the greatest collection of talent of ALL-TIME. I would hope they have to breathe alil to win.

Best case scenario we finish 3rd or 4th, but I would GLADLY settle for taking on the Spurs.

I bet you would :)

Pau was benched tonight most of the 2nd half due to our defensive struggles, and Dedmon really changed the game. Against the Clips, I would expect some of that as well.

But yea, I hope for the gauntlet as well, and would welcome a rematch against the Clips. If nothing else, their last series was quite entertaining

Chronz
01-17-2017, 11:59 PM
Agreed, been watching more Spurs games lately on the hope that GS may have to actually worry about someone, Pau has actually impressed me with his new found range/consistency. Hes still a defensive nightmare for the opposition and for his team but I didn't expect this kind of offensive resurgence, which has been happening all over the league actually. But I thought he would be borderline unplayable from how he looked at the start but now, the story has changed. I still dont think they matchup with the Clips well at all but with TP looking spry and Pau finding his range (FINALLY), its at least interesting.

Just watch as TP gets injured and Pau starts bricking, would be just my luck

Dade County
01-18-2017, 12:02 AM

You don't think they should just trade Cp3? Just so they can have some assets.

Blake and Cp3 are free agents I believe at the end of this season. And what KD did by joining GS, it just through everything out of balance out west.

I am really thinking they should trade both Blake & Cp3 if they can't pull off a trade for a star player a little closer to Blake age.

I just feel the end result will be GS comes out the west, that means either Spurs or Warriors most likely beat Clips. It can end real bad and Cp3 is not going to be wroth the money he will ask for.

I just believe the front office needs to push the reset button and just try to start over with Blake (since he does sale tickets).

Chronz
01-18-2017, 12:18 AM

I'd rather suck.

Blake and Cp3 are free agents I believe at the end of this season. And what KD did by joining GS, it just through everything out of balance out west.

Out west? More like out of historical balance.

I am really thinking they should trade both Blake & Cp3 if they can't pull off a trade for a star player a little closer to Blake age.

Why?

I just feel the end result will be GS comes out the west, that means either Spurs or Warriors most likely beat Clips. It can end real bad and Cp3 is not going to be wroth the money he will ask for.

I dont trust your probabilities based on zero evidence.

I just believe the front office needs to push the reset button and just try to start over with Blake (since he does sale tickets).

If one leaves, I'd rather them both leave and me enjoy my low cost tix. If that doesn't happen then I'd be happy because it would mean negligent Doc Rivers has run away and the team can start being an actual organization for once.

So yeah, I'd rather let this year go bye and see what these guys want to do.

europagnpilgrim
01-18-2017, 12:20 AM
They will struggle to stay afloat, CP3 is the mvp of that team, Blake is younger i get it but he stays more injured it seems than the older CP3

They probably will drop to around the 6th seed and maybe even 7th unless those other teams suffer a setback with injuries to key players

they should try and get a Rondo from Chicago but i doubt they have the assets to pull it off( or a Augustine from Orlando), 2 months is a long time out and Rondo could be a good fall back plan if CP3 decides to leave after this season

europagnpilgrim
01-18-2017, 12:27 AM

CP3's value has taken a hit past couple years with injuries and finally on the other side of 30, what would a team really give up for him besides a draft pick and a couple fillers? its not like it was when LA first acquired him, Blake would net more but he also is heavily injury prone while being younger and he is the ticket seller type so he probably is off the market for now unless he tells the Clipps he is gone then i am sure they probably would put him on the market at the deadline to see what offers teams put out, maybe they could hustle a team like OKC to get a Kanter/Grant/pick for him, who knows

Chronz
01-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Is Blake really a ticket seller? I would think winning is the best ticket seller and hes less of a winner. Hes also not young enough to be attempting dunks every other attempt now too. Clips aren't worried about selling tickets IMO, they are legit trying to win.

GodsSon
01-18-2017, 12:47 AM
Top 20 pick incoming to the Raps :D

kobe4thewinbang
01-18-2017, 02:06 AM
Huge loss for Clippers. He might be back in time to help in the playoffs, but with Blake still struggling, it's going to likely be another failed season for this otherwise talented team. It'll be interesting if they keep both of them for next season.

aman_13
01-18-2017, 02:26 AM
CP3 is on the other side of 30 but he's still one of the best pgs in the game and you would have to give up a lot if the Clippers stupidly decided to trade him.

He's having another monster season. Just been hit with some unlucky injuries.

aman_13
01-18-2017, 02:29 AM
And the Melo for Griffin rumor or trade suggestion is absolutely ridiculous.

dhopisthename
01-18-2017, 03:09 AM
I looked at every nba team and not a one makes any sense to try and trade for cp3 unless he waives his player option for next year which isn't happening. For instance the Spurs could use him and potentially resign him, but don't have anything that would make the clippers interested in trading for him. Another for instance, the Jazz could use him, but would probably have less then a 50% chance of keeping him.

Scoots
01-18-2017, 09:51 AM
Blake is back soon, maybe we lose a few more games but the West isn't as strong as it once was, outside of GS , the Clips really dont fear anyone. What matters for them is full health, they have the 2nd best starting lineup in the league.

I don't know that the West isn't as strong as it was. The West vs East is 27 games over .500 last I looked. The West has 7 teams with a .581 or better winning percentage, the East has 4. The top teams in the West rank 1st, 2nd, and 4th in overall record.

THE MTL
01-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Well I guess its better getting injuries over with now with CP3/Blake than it happening in the post season

Cracka2HI!
01-18-2017, 02:16 PM
I have to be honest this doesn't even upset me anymore. The more things change the more things stay the same. Sure feels like the Clipper curse never left. Tbh I gave up on this season and moving forward when the Warriors signed KD. I did gain a flicker of hope when the Clippers were the hottest team coming out of the gate. That hope evaporated when they got crushed by the Warriors their first meeting. If I didn't already think the window was closed this might hurt.

As for the future...this really doesn't change much. They'll still make the playoffs, go out in the 1st or 2nd Round. They'll re-sign both CP3 and Griffin. Probably Reddick too. It won't be enough but there isn't a better situation for the team or those players. I do think this should kill off any Melo rumors. If they trade Rivers and Crawford for Melo they'd be rolling with Felton at PG and have Alan Anderson as the only Guard off the bench.

Chronz
01-18-2017, 04:35 PM
I don't know that the West isn't as strong as it was. The West vs East is 27 games over .500 last I looked. The West has 7 teams with a .581 or better winning percentage, the East has 4. The top teams in the West rank 1st, 2nd, and 4th in overall record.
How does that compare with years prior and overall depth? I remember when teams above .500 wouldn't be anywhere near playoff contention the way it is today.

GiantsSwaGG
01-18-2017, 05:07 PM
And the Melo for Griffin rumor or trade suggestion is absolutely ridiculous.

As a Knicks fan I wouldn't want Blake. Don't trust his knees/attitude plus he doesn't fit with KP. I would trade Melo for Wesley, Luc, Crawford and a couple of 2nd round picks

aman_13
01-18-2017, 05:58 PM
As a Knicks fan I wouldn't want Blake. Don't trust his knees/attitude plus he doesn't fit with KP. I would trade Melo for Wesley, Luc, Crawford and a couple of 2nd round picks

Healthy Griffin is a top 10 player imo. If the Knicks miracously got him in return, I would be ecstatic if I'm a Knicks fan.

The return you mentioned is slightly more or less what you would expect if Melo gets traded there.

Sanjay
01-18-2017, 07:16 PM
I have to be honest this doesn't even upset me anymore. The more things change the more things stay the same. Sure feels like the Clipper curse never left. Tbh I gave up on this season and moving forward when the Warriors signed KD. I did gain a flicker of hope when the Clippers were the hottest team coming out of the gate. That hope evaporated when they got crushed by the Warriors their first meeting. If I didn't already think the window was closed this might hurt.

As for the future...this really doesn't change much. They'll still make the playoffs, go out in the 1st or 2nd Round. They'll re-sign both CP3 and Griffin. Probably Reddick too. It won't be enough but there isn't a better situation for the team or those players. I do think this should kill off any Melo rumors. If they trade Rivers and Crawford for Melo they'd be rolling with Felton at PG and have Alan Anderson as the only Guard off the bench.

I wouldn't lose hope if I was you. Sure the Warriors are prohibited favorites with the acquisition of Durant, but then again few people thought the Cavaliers could beat them last season. The Clippers are only 2.5 games back of the Rockets for the 3rd seed without having Griffin for the last four weeks. If LAC can hold down the fort until Paul returns then maybe they can make a run in the last month of the regular season. If so, I think they have a decent chance against the Spurs in the Western Conference semi-finals, remembering the Clippers beat them in the first round two years ago.

Chronz
01-18-2017, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't lose hope if I was you. Sure the Warriors are prohibited favorites with the acquisition of Durant, but then again few people thought the Cavaliers could beat them last season. The Clippers are only 2.5 games back of the Rockets for the 3rd seed without having Griffin for the last four weeks. If LAC can hold down the fort until Paul returns then maybe they can make a run in the last month of the regular season. If so, I think they have a decent chance against the Spurs in the Western Conference semi-finals, remembering the Clippers beat them in the first round two years ago.
I think the point hes making (same one I've made) is that GS was ALREADY that team that we had to hold out hope against and it was at least semi plausible as they were making history, that same core added Durant while our biggest difference maker was a player they let walk. Its like, we had a shot back then, now we have half of that same shot. Its really depressing, not as a Clips fan but as a fan of competition.

GiantsSwaGG
01-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Healthy Griffin is a top 10 player imo. If the Knicks miracously got him in return, I would be ecstatic if I'm a Knicks fan.

The return you mentioned is slightly more or less what you would expect if Melo gets traded there.

Not denying Griffens talent but his knees are made of glass and I don't trust his attitude. I don't want Blake Griffin and he wouldn't be a great fit with KP. I would trade Melo for Raymond Felton and a bag of Doritos.

NFLAccess
01-18-2017, 10:55 PM
That hurts. Bright side is Griffin could be back soon.

Scoots
01-18-2017, 11:34 PM
How does that compare with years prior and overall depth? I remember when teams above .500 wouldn't be anywhere near playoff contention the way it is today.

The 7th place team being close to a .600 team is pretty strong. But it's true that the 8th team is not going to be a good team. But relative to the East I think the West/East difference is stronger this year than last.

mrblisterdundee
01-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Yikes. I'd start Felton and keep Rivers coming off the bench. Then spread that floor as far as it can go. The Clippers aren't destitute, but they seemed destined not to go anywhere with Paul and Griffin.

zn23
01-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Worst luck of any player I've ever seen. People will say what about Penny and Grant Hill, but those guys weren't as good as CP3. CP3 is an ATG Point guard and every time it seems like he's about to take another step with his team, something bad happens.

europagnpilgrim
01-22-2017, 03:35 AM
Worst luck of any player I've ever seen. People will say what about Penny and Grant Hill, but those guys weren't as good as CP3. CP3 is an ATG Point guard and every time it seems like he's about to take another step with his team, something bad happens.

Grant Hill was a bigger more athletic version of CP3 minus the 3pt shot, he was the PointForward and was unstoppable pre injury, basically a walking 30pt triple double guy, go ask Pippen and Jordan for proof since he use to give it to them both In the same game, Penny was a stat filler across the board as well who If healthy I wouldn't mind taking him or CP3, but I would take G Hill over CP3 and Penny