PDA

View Full Version : Warriors on pace for back-to-back 70 win seasons

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2017, 10:37 AM
I think we know that after the exhaustive regular season the Warriors had last year, where they essentially had to come to every game as if it were a playoff game, the team and coaching staff are unlikely to go full throttle to chase a 70-win season, and it seems like that is the approach they are taking.

None of their best players are averaging even as many as 35 minutes a game, and Curry and Green are getting less than 34. So they aren't exactly going all in, like say, Houston is with Harden, or Cleveland is with James and Kyrie (both in the top 20 for minutes per game), or Toronto is with Lowry (first in minutes per game) and DM;DR (whose 35.5 minutes per game is more than anybody on GSW).

While the tops teams in the east are pushing minutes (though not excessively), the Warriors are easing back, but are STILL on pace for 70 wins should they win their next game (it would put them at 35-6: half way through the season exactly and would mean they would finish at 70-12 if they maintained that percentage).

Can they do it? Will they do it? Should they do it?

Thoughts?

Side note: the team with the second best record (SAS) is also hoarding minutes, but there are 4 teams on pace for 60 wins! And the Clippers likely would have been as well had Griffin not been injured.

Clint Olbrock
01-14-2017, 10:55 AM
I think we know that after the exhaustive regular season the Warriors had last year, where they essentially had to come to every game as if it were a playoff game, the team and coaching staff are unlikely to go full throttle to chase a 70-win season, and it seems like that is the approach they are taking.

None of their best players are averaging even as many as 35 minutes a game, and Curry and Green are getting less than 34. So they aren't exactly going all in, like say, Houston is with Harden, or Cleveland is with James and Kyrie (both in the top 20 for minutes per game), or Toronto is with Lowry (first in minutes per game) and DM;DR (whose 35.5 minutes per game is more than anybody on GSW).

While the tops teams in the east are pushing minutes (though not excessively), the Warriors are easing back, but are STILL on pace for 70 wins should they win their next game (it would put them at 35-6: half way through the season exactly and would mean they would finish at 70-12 if they maintained that percentage).

Thoughts?

Side note: the team with the second best record (SAS) is also hoarding minutes, but there are 4 teams on pace for 60 wins! And the Clippers likely would have been as well had Griffin not been injured.

I mean probably they just showed you last season they can get 73 and the year before barely missed 70 wins by 3 games, so yes they for sure can do it, if they want.

I have no clue if they will, that's up to them.

No, they 100% should not. Do whatever is necessary(total win number wise) to secure home court throughout the entire playoffs, anything over that is pointless, IMO. You don't win titles in the regular season, you already hold the record for single season wins, once you secure home court for the entire playoffs, rest your guys or give them even lower than their already low MPG numbers.

ewing
01-14-2017, 11:43 AM

Thoughts?

That what happens when 1/2 the league is tanking

Quinnsanity
01-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Man, accidentally winning 70 might be more impressive than winning 73. They explicitly stated that they were trying not do this.

lakerfan85
01-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Doesn't matter.. Cavs are winning the title..

Chronz
01-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Man, accidentally winning 70 might be more impressive than winning 73. They explicitly stated that they were trying not do this.

Agreed, that team is soo unfairly stacked. **** the NBA

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2017, 05:45 PM

You said it Ewing.
Too true. Too true.

:-(

valade16
01-14-2017, 05:57 PM

Half is tanking and the other half joined the Warriors lol

Scoots
01-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Half is tanking and the other half joined the Warriors lol

Cousins should sign a vet minimum deal with the Warriors this coming off-season, you know, to help his reputation and get him closer to a max contract in a couple years :)

Seriously, why did Draymond and LeBron spontaneously say Cousins is the best big in the NBA?

kobe4thewinbang
01-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Like home court matters...not to King James.

Anyway, I say they deliberately rest 'the death lineup' after about 60 wins. Spurs are confident enough to not really be chasing them for #1. Heck, they could probably let Houston go to #1 and it'd be fine cuz I don't see Houston getting far. They'll definitely get home court versus the east just based on talent, but see my line above.

Resting them a bit after the all-star game is best. They know Curry wasn't at 100% and they don't need that to happen again. There's always "ring rust" but I think laser shooters like the Splash Bros will shake it off quickly come playoff time.

Jeffy25
01-15-2017, 03:19 AM
I mean, do enough to keep the top seed, and that's it.

Last year, that was part of the push too. But they wanted that record.

This year, they don't need to repeat it of course.

FlashBolt
01-15-2017, 03:40 AM
Does anyone really find it impressive, though? I mean, they are beating the teams they should be beating and that's really all there is to it. Wouldn't surprise me if they win 73 again, tbh.

Jeffy25
01-15-2017, 06:38 AM
^ you should probably be a little bit impressed

Avenged
01-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Lebron ain't scared! I say go for it and reach the finals exhausted :D

nastynice
01-16-2017, 04:53 PM
lol, accidental 70 win season.

Crazy thing is, we're not even that good. Last year this was a better team, this year the talent is off the chart but we really haven't been playing as a team.

Same things happened first year in Miami and they got to the finals, so I'm hoping things start changing in these next couple months

lol, please
01-19-2017, 01:26 AM
Does anyone really find it impressive, though? I mean, they are beating the teams they should be beating and that's really all there is to it. Wouldn't surprise me if they win 73 again, tbh.

Please explain how getting 70+ wins is not impressive.