PDA

View Full Version : Define Super-Star and Star

Giannis94
01-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Simple question, who do you think are the NBA's current Super-Stars and Stars? Had a brief dialogue in another thread but was a little off-topic and sidetracked a bit.

I personally think of a Super-Star as an opposing player that would attract a semi-interested basketball fan that resides within 30-40 minutes of the home team; or a player that you will take time out of your night to watch with limited distraction(s). Generally likable and "villan" status would be because of style of play and not concerns about character.

Star: Opposing player that you would watch/attend a game if convenient/or at a prime time for you. You may not go out of the way to watch the game, but if they're on, you'll watch. May be controversial on/off the court.

So, with that being said here's my "super-star" list. I would be tempted to put a few guys like KAT and Giannis on there (I have personally went out of my way to watch KAT, and AD in person, and Giannis is doing the same). After long debate, I have decided to leave DMC off of it.

Super-star:

Kawhi
AD
Lebron
Curry
KD
Harden
CP3
Westy

By end of this current season:

Butler (sad face, mismanagement)
Giannis
KAT

Hawkeye15
01-10-2017, 03:15 PM
for me personally, a superstar, is a player who can carry any team to the playoffs. Meaning, unless the team is a bunch of D leaguers, a superstar, if healthy, isn't having a sub .500 year. That same player can carry an average team to 50+ wins. There are only really 4-5 of them on average, in any given year. Sometimes less.

A star, is someone who fills the stat sheet, but may not have the overall impact to elevate others.

Giannis94
01-10-2017, 03:17 PM
for me personally, a superstar, is a player who can carry any team to the playoffs. Meaning, unless the team is a bunch of D leaguers, a superstar, if healthy, isn't having a sub .500 year. That same player can carry an average team to 50+ wins. There are only really 4-5 of them on average, in any given year. Sometimes less.

A star, is someone who fills the stat sheet, but may not have the overall impact to elevate others.

YES! You said what I was trying to say but I'm just kind of getting back to the NBA if ya feel me.

PowerHouse
01-10-2017, 03:23 PM
In this era superstars are Lebron, Curry, Durant and thats it.

But I define it a little more strictly. IMO the term superstar gets thrown around way too loosely, and not just in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2017, 03:35 PM
In this era superstars are Lebron, Curry, Durant and thats it.

But I define it a little more strictly. IMO the term superstar gets thrown around way too loosely, and not just in the NBA.

remove Harden/Westbrook from their rosters, they are ****.

Those guys are superstars so far this year.

PowerHouse
01-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Thats what puts those guys in the running for MVP this year but that is a different thread. We're talking about our definition of SUPERstar.

Avenged
01-10-2017, 04:27 PM
A superstar is a Kobe Bryant.

A star is a Pau Gasol.

Sums it up for me :D

PowerHouse
01-10-2017, 04:30 PM

A star is a Pau Gasol.

:nod:

Hawkeye15
Thats what puts those guys in the running for MVP this year but that is a different thread. We're talking about our definition of SUPERstar.

what is your definition?

Hawkeye15

A star is a Pau Gasol.

but their win shares!

lakerfan85
01-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Superstar = Lebron.. Everyone else.. Stars..

Giannis94
01-10-2017, 04:47 PM

A star is a Pau Gasol.

Kobe is not a super-star to me. He would get a lot worse reaction to his "situation" had it happened this year instead of when it did.

Super-stars are the face of the NBA and role models. Kobe isn't a role model that I want my future kids to say: "I want to be 100% like Kobe". If they say "I want to be like Kobe on the court"- thats fine.

Certainly not a role model, but I'll be told that I am a "White supremacist" because of that.

lakerfan85
01-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Kobe is not a super-star to me. He would get a lot worse reaction to his "situation" had it happened this year instead of when it did.

Super-stars are the face of the NBA and role models. Kobe isn't a role model that I want my future kids to say: "I want to be 100% like Kobe". If they say "I want to be like Kobe on the court"- thats fine.

Certainly not a role model, but I'll be told that I am a "White supremacist" because of that.

Why would you want your kids to be like any athlete?

Giannis94
01-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Why would you want your kids to be like any athlete?

Because of the life lessons and experiences you gain as you rise up the levels

More-Than-Most
01-10-2017, 04:59 PM

if by this standard does that mean westy/harden are superstars but curry isnt? i think curry is the 3rd or 4th best player in basketball in his situation but if put him on the thunder right now or rockets both those teams would be far far worse.

ManRam
01-10-2017, 05:15 PM
I don't have a hard definition. It's more of a feel than anything empirical. They're the guys that can be absurdly dominant. But it's not just performance...they're the guys that always have the buzz around them. They're the guys that are often the most debated and talked about. They're the ones that are polarizing because people don't want to accept how great they are. Some personality is required too.

This year, I'd say the Super Stars are LeBron, Steph, Harden, KD, CP3 and Westbrook. I think Paul is iffy because he seems to fly under the radar, but he shouldn't be. Kawhi is deserving based on basketball and basketball alone, but he doesn't check off the other boxes. Those 6 guys (again, slightly less with Paul) have an aura. They're on teams we care about. You don't have to define why they're super stars, you just know.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2017, 05:41 PM
if by this standard does that mean westy/harden are superstars but curry isnt? i think curry is the 3rd or 4th best player in basketball in his situation but if put him on the thunder right now or rockets both those teams would be far far worse.

I don't think you need to actually prove you can carry crap, I think we can safely assume if you threw Curry on an average roster, he is worth 15-16 wins, and propels them to 50+.

It's a fine line. AD is a perfect example. On the Warriors (in place of Green), he is probably labeled a superstar. So it's not cut and dry per say.

FlashBolt
01-10-2017, 05:41 PM
It's crazy we put LeBron as a superstar but truthfully, he's probably still miles ahead of any other player. I'm not sure what we call him -- Basketball God? it was the same with Jordan. Barkley was a superstar but he was not on Jordan's level.

Anyhow, a superstar is someone who can take an average team to the playoffs. Westbrook/Harden are absolutely superstars.

PowerHouse
01-10-2017, 05:43 PM
what is your definition?

A guy that transcends the game, a face of the league, an ambassador. A guy who has had tremendous individual success/accolades (MVP(s)/ All NBA, etc) as well as team success. (Durant doesnt have a ton of post season team success but I'll assume he gets a ring with the Warriors)

warfelg
01-10-2017, 05:47 PM
A superstar is a guy that transcends the sport. LeBron. KD. Curry. Jordan. Kobe. Shaq.

These guys are known by even non-sports fans. That's a true superstar. Everyone else is just a star.

Avenged
01-10-2017, 05:47 PM

To each their own but I don't consider a player a superstar only if I want my kids (or any kid in general) to look up to them. And why would you be called a white supremacist for saying someone is not a role model? That's a bit dramatic but I guess that's the generation we live in.

FlashBolt
01-10-2017, 05:52 PM
A superstar is a guy that transcends the sport. LeBron. KD. Curry. Jordan. Kobe. Shaq.

These guys are known by even non-sports fans. That's a true superstar. Everyone else is just a star.

I might be spiting KD a bit here but he hasn't transcended anything. He's closer to Dominique wilkins than he is to LeBron.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2017, 05:55 PM
A guy that transcends the game, a face of the league, an ambassador. A guy who has had tremendous individual success/accolades (MVP(s)/ All NBA, etc) as well as team success. (Durant doesnt have a ton of post season team success but I'll assume he gets a ring with the Warriors)

so it takes a long time to become a superstar by your definition. Nothing wrong with that

warfelg
01-10-2017, 05:59 PM
I might be spiting KD a bit here but he hasn't transcended anything. He's closer to Dominique wilkins than he is to LeBron.

You definitely are. He's not close to Dominique Wilkins. He's much better. He's one of the top 3 players in the NBA with LeBron and Curry.

warfelg
01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
so it takes a long time to become a superstar by your definition. Nothing wrong with that

I have a similar definition. Like you said nothing wrong with it.

To me it's like people using the term "elite" with football players (especially QBs). If there's 8 elite QBs, i feel it does a disservice to the top of that.

In basketball the term "Superstar" should apply to the creme de le creme. The top of the top players. If there's 30 superstars it doesn't due justice to those top 3-5 players to lump them in with those other guys.

FlashBolt
01-10-2017, 06:07 PM
You definitely are. He's not close to Dominique Wilkins. He's much better. He's one of the top 3 players in the NBA with LeBron and Curry.

How is that transcendent, though? Wilt, Bill, Shaq, Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Magic, Bird, and Erving transcended the sport. Not sure how KD has done that.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2017, 06:14 PM
In basketball the term "Superstar" should apply to the creme de le creme. The top of the top players. If there's 30 superstars it doesn't due justice to those top 3-5 players to lump them in with those other guys.

yep, I agree with that, but I think it can be more on a year by year basis too. There are guys who have ridiculous peaks, and some who don't. McGrady at one point was a superstar, but you couldn't possibly throw his name in the ring with Kobe and not get laughed at in general.

But yeah, I have no problem letting a guy build his resume for a superstar reference.

teddygreen17
01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Within the sport itself, I would state it as thus.

star level player - multi-talented, Offensive and defensive complete player. i.e Jimmy Butler or superior offensive player that cannot be guarded - i.e Kyrie, Steph, Harden.

SuperStar level player - star + leadership + making other players better around them by default - ie. CP3, Lebron, Westbrook - or unproven leadership-type player because team is not good enough around them but they do 3/4 things exceptionally well - i.e. AD

This is why I will maintain, players like Greg Monroe and Carmelo Anthony that have a singular skill set but do not necessarily make their teams "better" by leading and play consistent D, are barely stars to me.
To put it more blunt, if you do not do both O and D, you are not a star - you are a role player. THIS is what Melo is.

tp13baby
01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
A player you can put on any team and make the playoffs. And the level he plays at is consistent year to year once you he hits his prime years. Durant Curry and Lebron are it in my opinion.

warfelg
01-10-2017, 06:23 PM
How is that transcendent, though? Wilt, Bill, Shaq, Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Magic, Bird, and Erving transcended the sport. Not sure how KD has done that.

Non-basketball fans know how Durant is easily.

FWIW I think you've been crapping on KD waaay too much. We get it. It's the ex that walked out on you.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2017, 06:25 PM
yeah, I mean, I think Durant is a pansy, but the dude is a superstar for sure

More-Than-Most
01-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Personally id prefer tiers over anything else. I just cant comfortably put any nba player on the same list as durant/lebron.... westy or AD might be the closest but both guys lack defense and AD cant stay healthy.... superstars to me have to be 2 way players... Someone like Curry/harden lack defense but i cant see either guy carrying a team like westy/AD could. I love a guy like Khawi because he is a great 2 way player but offensively he doesnt hold a candle to durant/lebron nor is he on the level of westy/AD.. he would be someone id prefer to start a team with over curry/harden though.

More-Than-Most
01-10-2017, 06:47 PM
I hate durants pansy *** as much as the next guy but if he isnt a top 2 player to you then you need some serious help. What doesnt he do? what weakness does he have?

da ThRONe
01-10-2017, 07:12 PM
remove Harden/Westbrook from their rosters, they are ****.

Those guys are superstars so far this year.

Kawhi is interesting. Not sure what the Spurs are without him. Personally I say he belongs in that category.

Avenged
01-10-2017, 07:13 PM
I hate durants pansy *** as much as the next guy but if he isnt a top 2 player to you then you need some serious help. What doesnt he do? what weakness does he have?

Don't see him as a lock top 2 anymore. There's LeBron there's Curry and there's Durant. Actually think it's a close debate and it's crazy to think 2 of them are on the same team. That's just wrong.

da ThRONe
01-10-2017, 07:22 PM
My current superstar list using the definition that this guy with quality NBA level players automatically make his team a playoff team. (No order)

James
Durant
Leonard
Curry
Harden
Westbrook
Paul
Griffin

A lot of players close to this list but this would be all the guys I'd have on the list.

FlashBolt
01-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Non-basketball fans know how Durant is easily.

FWIW I think you've been crapping on KD waaay too much. We get it. It's the ex that walked out on you.

You're confusing superstar as being transcendent. A superstar doesn't always transcend a sport. T-Mac/Wade/Barkley/Malone were all superstars but they hardly transcended the sport. That's where the misunderstanding is coming from. Not once did I say KD wasn't a superstar but transcendent? Nope. Plus, why is it you guys keep mentioning KD as if it still matters? It's nearly half a year since he decided to join the Warriors. I'm more interested in watching the Finals than anything this season. Everyone is over it. Not sure why someone can't have a negative opinion of a certain player without being labeled a certain word.

Giannis94
01-10-2017, 07:55 PM
To each their own but I don't consider a player a superstar only if I want my kids (or any kid in general) to look up to them. And why would you be called a white supremacist for saying someone is not a role model? That's a bit dramatic but I guess that's the generation we live in.

A laker fan called me a White Supremacist in the for saying that the Bucks greatest player is a star while the Lakers Icon is a rapist or something a long those lines. Was deleted for Off-topic (and rightfull so).

I think Super-stars have to be players that you can look up to. I mean if DMC turns it around, wins a few titles/puts up Super-star numbers, despite his persona, I have no problem calling him a super-star.

Any other player does what kobe does and they get the Ray Rice treatment. But hey, money and status talk, so lets give him a free pass.

warfelg
01-10-2017, 08:09 PM
I feel like there needs to be two more levels between 'super star' and 'star'

LeBron, Curry, Durant are my superstars

But then there needs to be a level for CP3, IT, Blake, Butler, Lillard, Westbrook, Irving, Harden, AD

Then one for guys like Giannis, Green, Klay, KP, Kemba, Dwight, Gasol, Lowry, Love, Derozen, Horford

Then you got your stars which are guys like Drummond, Melo, Connley, DJ, CJ McCol, Wall ect.

There's also the 'rising stars' which are on their way to one of these levels. IE the guys like DLo, Embiid, KAT, (even though these next two are in one they fit here too) Giannis, KP

I don't know what to call those two levels between star and superstar though. All-NBA stars and Career All Stars? I dunno. But those are guys that I feel calling "super stars" makes them sound so much more than they are, but calling them stars doesn't do them justice.

Giannis94
01-10-2017, 08:12 PM
I feel like there needs to be two more levels between 'super star' and 'star'

LeBron, Curry, Durant are my superstars

But then there needs to be a level for CP3, IT, Blake, Butler, Lillard, Westbrook, Irving, Harden, AD

Then one for guys like Giannis, Green, Klay, KP, Kemba, Dwight, Gasol, Lowry, Love, Derozen, Horford

The "1 Man Team or mismanaged team" Drummond, Melo, Connley, DJ, CJ McCol, Wall ect.

There's also the 'rising stars' which are on their way to one of these levels. IE the guys like DLo, Embiid, KAT, (even though these next two are in one they fit here too) Giannis, KP

I don't know what to call those two levels between star and superstar though. All-NBA stars and Career All Stars? I dunno. But those are guys that I feel calling "super stars" makes them sound so much more than they are, but calling them stars doesn't do them justice.

Also don't know how you can include Embiid in any talk yet. Dude has missed ~89% of his total games so far and has yet to play back to back.

Avenged
01-10-2017, 08:29 PM
A laker fan called me a White Supremacist in the for saying that the Bucks greatest player is a star while the Lakers Icon is a rapist or something a long those lines. Was deleted for Off-topic (and rightfull so).

I think Super-stars have to be players that you can look up to. I mean if DMC turns it around, wins a few titles/puts up Super-star numbers, despite his persona, I have no problem calling him a super-star.

Any other player does what kobe does and they get the Ray Rice treatment. But hey, money and status talk, so lets give him a free pass.

Exactly. SUPERSTAR. :up:

FlashBolt
01-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Westbrook/Harden are superstars... there is no questioning that..

DanG
01-10-2017, 09:55 PM
This is just my opinion. First of all, a superstar has to have something in addition to high level of play that makes people talk about them (personality, unique style of play, success... etc.). It's 50/50 pretty much.

Right now:

Superstar level 1 aka the face of the NBA: LeBron (players who have everything a superstar needs: personality, unique style of play, high level of play, high success, once you hit this you're a guaranteed superstar for the rest of your career)

Some other recent examples: Kobe, Shaq

Superstar level 2: KD, Curry (players who at some point are close to being the face of the NBA, but just lack something, still likely superstars till career ends)

Some other recent examples: Tim Duncan, Iverson

*HUMP* alot of players don't jump over

Superstar level 3: Harden, Westbrook (players who often play just as good as level 2, but never win anything, not likely superstars till career ends)

Some recent examples: Melo, T-Mac

Superstar level 4: Dwyane Wade (players who once were level 1 or 2, but now have declined)

These players aren't superstars because they lack so many aspects a superstar has to have:

Kawhi (personality, no real dominant and unique style of play, not necessarily a top 3 player either)

Same story with AD, CP3, but they lack success too.

If Kyrie becomes slightly better player then he has a chance to be level 2.

If I had to predict which players enter superstardom in the future I'd say Embiid, Giannis and KAT.

FlashBolt
01-10-2017, 10:42 PM
This is just my opinion. First of all, a superstar has to have something in addition to high level of play that makes people talk about them (personality, unique style of play, success... etc.). It's 50/50 pretty much.

Right now:

Superstar level 1 aka the face of the NBA: LeBron (players who have everything a superstar needs: personality, unique style of play, high level of play, high success, once you hit this you're a guaranteed superstar for the rest of your career)

Some other recent examples: Kobe, Shaq

Superstar level 2: KD, Curry (players who at some point are close to being the face of the NBA, but just lack something, still likely superstars till career ends)

Some other recent examples: Tim Duncan, Iverson

*HUMP* alot of players don't jump over

Superstar level 3: Harden, Westbrook (players who often play just as good as level 2, but never win anything, not likely superstars till career ends)

Some recent examples: Melo, T-Mac

Superstar level 4: Dwyane Wade (players who once were level 1 or 2, but now have declined)

These players aren't superstars because they lack so many aspects a superstar has to have:

Kawhi (personality, no real dominant and unique style of play, not necessarily a top 3 player either)

Same story with AD, CP3, but they lack success too.

If Kyrie becomes slightly better player then he has a chance to be level 2.

If I had to predict which players enter superstardom in the future I'd say Embiid, Giannis and KAT.

Iverson doesn't belong in the same tier as Duncan.

europagnpilgrim
01-10-2017, 10:53 PM
Iverson doesn't belong in the same tier as Duncan.

You are correct

He belongs in the Wilt Big Dipper category, something you will never see again from a Nate Robinson height player, under 6ft, same as Dipper we will never see another like him, ever

kdspurman
01-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Kawhi is interesting. Not sure what the Spurs are without him. Personally I say he belongs in that category.

Historically, they haven't been too good. Right around .500 as of last season I believe.

Giannis94
01-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Super-star players take their teams last shots. Where u at kawhi

lol, please
01-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Simple question, who do you think are the NBA's current Super-Stars and Stars? Had a brief dialogue in another thread but was a little off-topic and sidetracked a bit.

I personally think of a Super-Star as an opposing player that would attract a semi-interested basketball fan that resides within 30-40 minutes of the home team; or a player that you will take time out of your night to watch with limited distraction(s). Generally likable and "villan" status would be because of style of play and not concerns about character.

Star: Opposing player that you would watch/attend a game if convenient/or at a prime time for you. You may not go out of the way to watch the game, but if they're on, you'll watch. May be controversial on/off the court.

So, with that being said here's my "super-star" list. I would be tempted to put a few guys like KAT and Giannis on there (I have personally went out of my way to watch KAT, and AD in person, and Giannis is doing the same). After long debate, I have decided to leave DMC off of it.

Super-star:

Kawhi
AD
Lebron
Curry
KD
Harden
CP3
Westy

Giannis
KAT

Super star: Curry, DeRozan, Durant, Jordan, Bird, Wilt type guys, guys who not only are stars in the league, but among the greatest of the stars at the time, and also transcendent stars, guys who are well recognized outside of the sport.

Star: All-star level in both skill and popularity.

Scoots
01-11-2017, 01:06 AM
A superstar is a very very good player who has recognition far beyond the avid fans of the sport.

And for what it's worth you don't "define" a word with a list of examples or by debating who is or is not supposed to be on the list.

Giannis94
01-11-2017, 01:13 AM
A superstar is a very very good player who has recognition far beyond the avid fans of the sport.

And for what it's worth you don't "define" a word with a list of examples or by debating who is or is not supposed to be on the list.

Well then, because Kobe is debatable, he does not make the cut. Sorry Lakers fans.

Scoots
01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Well then, because Kobe is debatable, he does not make the cut. Sorry Lakers fans.

You misunderstood my point. A definition of a word is separate from the debate of who meets the criteria of that definition.

If you are debating the definition then debate the definition, and if you want to use players as examples to support your definition that makes sense, but a list of players who you consider a superstar at the moment is not a definition of the word.

PowerHouse
01-11-2017, 10:10 AM

My thing about KD is we've never really seen a player quite like him before. A 6'11 guy that can run the floor like a gazelle, great athleticism while also having such a gifted touch with outside shooting. He's not Dominique, he's more like combination of Dirk and Dominique in one.

warfelg
01-11-2017, 10:22 AM
You misunderstood my point. A definition of a word is separate from the debate of who meets the criteria of that definition.

If you are debating the definition then debate the definition, and if you want to use players as examples to support your definition that makes sense, but a list of players who you consider a superstar at the moment is not a definition of the word.

Well said.

The definition is your requirements, your list is your examples based on that definition.

europagnpilgrim
01-11-2017, 10:37 AM
SUPERSTAR
A player you must see live, pay money to see annually along with fans from other teams because that player is so damn good/exciting, its all about entertaining, box office material

nice to large amount of Jerseys in the crowd on road games

Can he carry a team to at least the playoffs regardless the support cast, unless its just horrific than a 8th seed is not bad to get, also the w-l record with and without that player

jersey/ticket sales(home and road)

primetime tv games, endorsement deals even though some superstars turn them down

how coaches game plan to stop certain player

getting triple teamed

carrying a team for 5+ years with really no help and in the playoffs

revolutionary/transcendent type, culture impact(copycat/those you influence)

skill set/ability plus the other attributes needed to be a franchise game changer

STAR
Those who make a all star team here and there, some can be overrated or under appreciated

Whoever ESPN and whatever fanatic of that team decides to pump up that day/week or month or season, when they say a Star is born, that what they essentially do since Superstars really don't need no hype because what they showcase on the hardwood is self explanatory and they usually showcase it day 1 rookie year, the most dominant are the Superstars/day 1 players

LoveCaliFan
01-11-2017, 11:28 AM
There's 6 Categories: Franchise, Superstar, Star, All-star, Average, Bust.....

1) Franchise- Players that change the league.
2) Superstar- Players that change the game.
3) Star- Players that positively impact the game.
4) All-Star- Plyers that impact the team.
5) Average- Players that have a role on the team.
6) Bust- Kwame Browns...lol...

LoveCaliFan
01-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Franchise- impacts the league..

Superstar- Impacts the team

Star- impacts the game...

Average- role players mostly

Bust- Kwame Browns..lol...

Didn't mean to put this twice...lol

Giannis94
01-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Franchise- impacts the league- Lebron, KD, Curry, AD, Westy, Harden

Superstar- Cousins, Kawhi, Giannis, KAT
TBD: Embiid (needs to stay healthy for a few more years), a few others.

Based on that, thats what I got then.

kdspurman
01-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Super-star players take their teams last shots. Where u at kawhi

Pretty silly considering he's had several game winners.

Hawkeye15
01-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Leonard belongs there I think.

It's interesting. We want superstars to show they can lift a team to contender status. But the fact is, we have no idea if Curry, Durant, or Leonard can do this. They have been on teams with a ton of help.

However, I still would put all 3 in "superstar" status, or, players that could probably make an average team a 50+ win team, and players who, if healthy, wouldn't miss the playoffs with nearly any roster you provided them.

LeBron
Curry
Durant
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard

those are really the only superstars this year to me.

Jeffy25
01-11-2017, 01:34 PM
If you are consistently topping 10.0 WS, you are probably a superstar.

Only four guys have 30.0 over the last 3 seasons
Harden
LeBron
Paul
Westbrook
Curry
Durant
DeAndre Jordan
Anthony Davis
Kevin Love
Kyle Lowry
James Harden

There are probably about 10ish superstars in the game.

People will probably try to add to that definition of guys that can do this alone.
Love, Lowry, Paul, and DeAndre all need support to win. The rest can be fairly successful alone on a roster with support players.

I would add Giannis to this list because of this season as well possibly some of the rookies like Embiid and KAT if they can continue.

Stars. There are plenty. Basically, someone who can consistently make the all-star team not by popularity, but by merit.

I also think of guys like Conley, DeRozan, Gasol, etc as stars. But not superstars.

The market you play in also really affects fans impressions of you. Would anyone call Jimmy Butler a superstar if he played for Utah?

PowerHouse
01-11-2017, 02:38 PM
So much wrong with your ignorarant, factually incorrect. He was not accused of rape, he was charged and those charges were dropped. The girl had no case? Idotic statement, but one that I have come to expect from Lakers fans.

All ahtletes cheat? That means 100%? I know that's not the case and is a lazy cop out.

Your whole post is just full of ignorance.

Other than my generalizing statement of all of them cheat (a majority do), where was I factually incorrect? Its true that he wasnt convicted, its true that he wasnt tried since it was a dropped case, and its true that it was an out-of court settlement. Yea he was charged but that was what I was alluding to when I said accused.

Giannis94
01-11-2017, 03:48 PM
This is ****ing horse **** that my post on Kobe got deleted. It was on topic and I don't believe a player as controversial as him can be a superstar.

To the mods and those that reported my post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW4q8vrMza0

Scoots
01-11-2017, 05:56 PM
carrying a team for 5+ years with really no help and in the playoffs

That one eliminates almost everyone. Using that part of the definition a superstar has to have been alone on a team that makes the playoffs for 5+ years ... who does that leave other than LeBron? Jordan, Curry, KD, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, are all out.

Lakers + Giants
01-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Lebron

KD/Curry/Westy/Harden

Stars

Rush
01-11-2017, 07:01 PM
This is ****ing horse **** that my post on Kobe got deleted. It was on topic and I don't believe a player as controversial as him can be a superstar.

I responded why it was deleted. It was a justifiable delete.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?917749-Why-was-my-post-in-the-NBA-forum-deleted&p=31399909#post31399909

More-Than-Most
01-11-2017, 07:25 PM

Kobe is a superstar... he just is.. top 9-12 player of all time on most peoples lists.... if we are going by controversies we would need to kick a ton of guys off of a ton of lists... players do dumb ****... always have and always will both on and off the court but we cant just throw out their skill and accomplishments because of controversies.

Sanjay
01-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Super-star:

Kawhi
AD
Lebron
Curry
KD
Harden
CP3
Westy

Giannis
KAT

I am going to make my definitions based upon what they do on the court.

Superstar: A player who can put his team on his back and win games
Star: A player who can lead his team to victory with help

Superstars:
Tier 1: LeBron
Tier 2: Durant, Paul, K. Leonard, A.Davis
Tier 3: Curry, Harden, Westbrook
Tier 4: Griffin

I know AD is high, but I really like his all-round game and Steph is low, but think about this: If you took each of these player's top skill out he would be at the bottom. I don't hate Curry or the Warriors I actually like them both and I know he is a very good passer too, but I just prefer all-round players. James and Russell would be in tier 2, but for defensive and efficiency reasons respectively.

Stars:
Tier 1: Butler, Irving, Lillard
Tier 2: Wall, D. Cousins
Tier 3: K. Thompson, Aldridge
Tier 4: Walker, DeRozan

John may be a bit of a surprise, but his speed is invaluable and his shooting and defense is much improved. Maybe DeMarcus should be in tier 1, but his discipline often wanes. Klay should probably be up their too, but I just don't know if he would be able to be the number one guy (obviously he has not had the chance with Steph and now Kevin).

Chronz
01-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Superstar, Tmac. Star, Kobe

Superstar, Shaq. Star, Duncan

Superstar, Hakeem. Star Chewing

Superstar, MJ. Star, Drexler

Superstar, LeBron. Star, D-Wade.

Superstar, CP3. Star, Lillard

BKLYNpigeon
01-18-2017, 09:58 PM
SuperStar in the NBA. is basically NBA 1st - 2nd and 3rd teams